Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-09, 17:33

Plan: Under 50 grams
Stats: 190.2/181.0/147 Female 5'4.5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Two good suggestions girls

Bev you are so right about the schedule. I pushed myself too hard on Monday and it still hurt to go up the stairs today. But scheduling is an important thing. The problem for me is I can only do my exercises when no one else is home. My tv vcr is in the same room as the family computer and the homework table and.......well you get the drift. There isn't enough room in my bedroom or the kitchen and the room above the garage is just too cold this time of year to do them there. So that means the time frame is in the morning or nothing. That is why I wanted to do the 10/10 program.
Maybe I will rearrange my room. After all I HAVE to do something to solve the time problem.

Little Zu you are right about break things down. I have always been an all or nothing person, I get discouraged easily and give in. Maybe I should aim a little lower so when I succeed I am happy instead of unhappy when I don't succeed at a goal I could reach if I worked at it in smaller pieces.
Thank you both. You have made me feel better about exercise and LC. I have stayed on plan for 3 days now, and have started an exercise program. This is more in three days than I did all last year.
I only hope I can help you in the same way some day.
Scotiagirl
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 08:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/149/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I'm lucky in that I have no time restrictions on when I can do what- hopefully you can get some space for you in the evenings sorted out, Scotia.

I am soooo sore today. Think I will take today off from callanetics, but ya'll kick my butt if I don't do it tomorrow.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 09:46

BF:
Default Being in control of the movements

Ok, I have done my callanectics for today. Last night I had my hips and back aching from not doing them that I decided sore legs or not I would do them today. Woke up this morning and the legs were fine. NO excuse available.

So I decided when I was going to do them SCHEDULE.....yes that is important. Only procrastinated 10 minutes, but an important thing happened during those ten minutes

I yes, I decided that this was MY exercise program, not the instructors or the other people on the tape "doing it perfectly".

This means that I should set the amount of reps I can do and repeat that until I can up them, it also means that if I'm not ready to do an exercise than I don't have to. Will I end up lopsided if I can only do some not all the excersices? Well maybe but then I'm further ahead than I was last week when I did none.

It was very enpowering. I was in control. To quote the instructor "what a powerful feeling, when you are in control of the movements and they are not in control of you.

There is hope for me yet
Session 2/12 done
Scotiagirl
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 12:18

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 292.5/192.5/150 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:ho/ho/ho
Progress: 70%

While we're having this scheduling discussion, I did want to tell you guys that Sandrahanna (from Callanetics Evolution) says not to leave more than 3 days between sessions. She said that it hinders results and muscle memory.

Just FYI in case you haven't heard that... I don't know how true that is, but since she is on the video I'm taking her word for it...
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 13:44

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 155/125/125 Female 62 inches
BF:21
Progress: 100%

Scotia, GOOD FOR YOU! You are absolutely right. You don't have to do it perfectly or as many reps as they say on the video. Something is better than nothing. When I started this, I didn't worry about doing it perfectly or doing all the reps. I just did as many reps as I could (sometimes taking a rest if I needed it) and figured my muscles would improve over time. I still have to take an occasional break, but I can do all my reps, now, so I know I'm improving.

As Callan says, if you need to take a momentary breather, do it. I think the logic behind that statement is that many of us get discouraged when we can't do all the reps, and there is no reason why we should do something as well as someone who's been doing it for years. The way I look at things, that's one of the reasons a pause button exists.

I'm guessing that your PC is in the homework/TV room? Have you thought about buying a portable DVD player? You can download the video of your choosing (I've got a link somewhere; I'll find it if you need it. OR I can burn a DVD copy and just send it to you, if that'll be easier for you.), burn it to DVD and then you'll be free to do your workout where ever you find the room. Here's a small one for $40 http://www.consumerdepot.com/products.asp?id=E700PDD, but I've found that I don't need the video. I typed all the exercises out, with specific instructions, and I just use my paper most of the time. I've only recently been watching the videos on occasion before I work out to start correcting my form.

I've done Callanetics all over the house, depending on what's going on. I've used my kitchen counter or a bed rail as my barre, even my coffee table a few times. If you go with the portable DVD or take my (cheap) route and just write the exercises down, you can make it more easily fit into your schedule.

Zu, we won't kick your butt if you're resting when you need a break. Rest your body when it needs it. If you need to sit it out for more than just a day, by all means, do it. Heck, I took almost a week at the beginning of the month. You know how much rest you need. I don't.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-09, 15:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Dukan
Stats: 234/168/115 Female 5ft5inch
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hey guys,

Good to see you are all still sticking with it. It does get easier. I have started doing it from memory, then i can watch TV at the same time! About to do hour 24 tonight, still wondering when i will see the differnece rather than just feel it. I have decided to wait until hour 30 to take more photos, then hoepfully i will notice something :P

Helen x
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-09, 06:12

BF:

Hi newjeneed, I am absolutely sure that you are right about not taking a break for more than three days.
I guess what I was trying to say was I have always struggled with an exercise problem, I try really hard the first day, get frustrated when I can't do it, hurt like hell for the next few days and then because of the fear that I can't do it and the memory of the pain I just give up.
This time I've decided that I need to work up to an "exercise plan" so I will schedule my work outs, do what I can (+ a few reps), then do it when I don't hurt so much that I give up half way through, never to try it again. My body is a wonderful thing, it will adjust, it will start to have muscle memory and then the results will come. I have not done the Sandrahanna's dvd, I have seen it, but I like Callan's voice and she is almost the same age as me, it feels good to know that.
I am doing the 10/10 tape for now, but it took me a long time to get this way and it will take time to get into shape. I have great hopes.
Bev, thanks for the encouragement, you are my angel. If I could get the original tapes on DVD, I'ld love that, I haven't had any luck finding them, I now have a lot of her original tapes. I will check your site suggestion. Maybe some day I will be so disciplined and so capable to be able to do them without a tape. You are an inspiration to me, thank you.
Hi Helen, 24 wow, way to go girl. I took pictures, I also took waist and hip measurements, I think the measurements will tell the story for me better than the pictures. Did you measure?
Scotiagirl
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-09, 08:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaGirl
Hi Helen, 24 wow, way to go girl. I took pictures, I also took waist and hip measurements, I think the measurements will tell the story for me better than the pictures. Did you measure?
Scotiagirl

I wish I had taken pictures... I know that even though I haven't lost like a million inches or anything, that my body looks soooooo much better than it did. Which would be great to be able to see in pics...
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-09, 12:19

BF:

newjeneed, take pics and measurements now. There's no rule that says you can't. Call them what ever you want. "On my way", "The Shape of getting in Shape", "My Progress so Far." Pick a fun name and do it.
Scotiagirl
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-09, 13:30

I *did* measure before I started, here's a breakdown of the changes thus far:

Bra Strap Area: 31.5 on 11/18, 28.75 on 12/20
Waist: 30.25, 27
Hips: 37, 35.5
Each Thigh: 23, 20
Calves: 15, 13.5

So, overall, I'd lost 11.75 inches in about a month. I'll measure again this month, but I don't think it'll be as big a change. I think the initial difference was just from tightening up the muscles.

Last night, though, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror as I was getting out of the tub, and I could actually see muscles on my legs. Mind you, I could also see fat hanging off my thigh , but I know that this exercise is definitely getting me into shape. My muscles are more toned, and I'll definitely be having my husband taking 2 months pictures (I meant to at 1 month but forgot). I may even share them some day. Hey, I'll definitely post them if I see a big change.

Getting rid of the fat takes more than just exercise, but I truly think that this is a big part of the equation for me.

I'll PM you ScotiaGirl, so you can tell me where to send the DVD.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-09, 13:50

Drats! I couldn't PM you! Just e-mail me your address to bevmorris~charter.net. (It won't let me make the 'at' sign.)
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-09, 14:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/149/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

I did get off my butt and do 15 minutes today- so I'm up to 45 mins! Callenetics hasn't bothered my back at all, I'm just sore from actually doing something for once, so I need to not rest too much- otherwise I won't make exercise a habit, which is how I want it to be. If I can maintain 15 minutes a day in the future, I'll be a happy girl.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-09, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaGirl
newjeneed, take pics and measurements now. There's no rule that says you can't. Call them what ever you want. "On my way", "The Shape of getting in Shape", "My Progress so Far." Pick a fun name and do it.
Scotiagirl

hey you're right maybe I will!
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-09, 22:32

*sigh* I'm really disappointed with myself. I was slacking at the beginning of the month, so I only have 4 hours thus far. On the 11th, for crying out loud! And, then, I got sick today, so I missed another day when I have so many to try and make up.

I've figured that if I can do 4 hours each week for the rest of the month, I'll make my goal, but I just hate it when my schedule gets thrown off. Especially if part of it is my own laziness.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-09, 06:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Dukan
Stats: 234/168/115 Female 5ft5inch
BF:
Progress: 55%

Bev,

Nevermind, you can't help being sick. Just get back to it when you feel well again. I missed last night, and didn't sleep as well as usual. Callanetics makes me really sleepy! I was stuck in that half sleep for ages, husband said this morning that i was chattering in my sleep about lizards. Odd.
Anyway, with this in mind and not wanting to repaet the lizard incidence tonight, i am going to do hour 27 and then sleep like a baby.
Helen x