Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 18:26
Registered Member

Plan: no grains no sugar
Stats: 172/160/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Hi. I haven't been around for a long time. I've been trying different things. Raw food diet. Have any of you watched the movie. 'Simply Raw'Reversing Diabetes in 30 day. Just to mention there is a Type 1 that actually reverses Diabetes through Raw Food. The movie is by Gabriel Cousens.I've gone from 18-20 Units of Lantus & approx 20 u. of Novo Rapid daily. to taking a metformin 2x day. and no insulin. and raw food diet. I've also started to rebound-started 5 min.a day . Now I rebound at least 45 min. daily. with ease. I was taking insulin for over 10 years.Doctors weren't helping except for to give me more meds. I found a site called The Raw Divas and did a Detox.that got me started. now I go to raw food classes. ttyl. Suzy
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-09, 06:51

Plan: Dr. Bernstein (modified )
Stats: 298/205/199 Male 5 foot 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
Ralph - good luck with all of that, the one friend I have (that I know about) who had the surgery is quite happy about it, and it has been effective. Rob

Thank you Robl
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-09, 07:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Ralph, I wish you all the best on your journey. I really think Dr. Davis has had some stunning results from his program, I hope things work as well for you!

Nancy -

Thank you.

I am definitely going to follow up in great detail with Dr. Davis's program.

Thank you for pointing me in that direction

The current Niacin that I take is nicotinic acid made by Sundown.

I will read up more on Slo-niacin in the heartscan blog.

There are many things to learn there.

Like Dr. Mercola, Dr. Davis recommends getting away from processed foods especially breads. Just picked up that snippet as I took a quick scan of his site.

Now for more in depth learning studying and becoming a member of his community. I think it is terrific that there is a resource out there that works with cardiac catscans and learning from them as well.

Thanks,

Ralph
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 15:11

Plan: raw food / paleo
Stats: 233/172/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemcm
januaria
The right kind of Niacin is regular Niacin-not extended release or
noflush Niacin.It's better to take Niacin right before or right after
eating.a 500 mg pill with breakfast and the same with dinner is a
good way to start.You will probably feel a flush/heating in your
face.That is because the arteries expand. Do a blood test to
check your liver and repeat every few months while you are taking Niacin.
Cheers
Eddie

Thanks, Eddie - the flush can't be any worse than hot flashes

I have had a liver transplant and still have some liver damage, and am wondering, since you mentioned a liver check, if niacin can add to the problem?

April.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-09, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins '72 or close
Stats: 260/242/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 15%

Could you elaborate on what the proper type of niacin is? Inspite of low carbing pretty hard my ldl has been up and the doc is pushing statins. I realize that there are other ways to bring it down so I am resisting.

Quote:
Don't get the wrong sort of niacin, you need to use the kind that makes you flush. The other sort is worthless. Also, niacin will reduce your LDL too.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-09, 10:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorablema
Could you elaborate on what the proper type of niacin is? Inspite of low carbing pretty hard my ldl has been up and the doc is pushing statins. I realize that there are other ways to bring it down so I am resisting.

Read what Dr. Davis says on the subject: http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search?q=niacin
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-09, 06:56

BF:

Well thank you Nancy.

I have become a member of Track your Plaque.

I have lots of reading to do and refining what I do.

However, I already feel good that I have done some things right such as Krill Oil for pur Omega 3, Niacin the Nicotinic Acid variety at 1000mg daily and I started to take Vitamin D3 this past two months and went for a serum test that came out 34 after having taken Vitamin D3 at 4000 iu per day for a couple of weeks prior to the test. Need to get this up over 50.

Yes, I am taking the statin too now. so be it for now.

Lots to learn.

The Lap Band surgery and weight loss should really help me considerably.

Thank you for putting me on to this program.

Ralph
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-09, 10:55
Experimenter

BF:

Good stuff, Ralph! Are you going to get a VAP or NMR test done to see how your particles are? I had it done during a time I was cheating something awful and I still had a pretty good score for particle size. I'd love to get it redone now that I've been a good girl for nearly a year.

If you're really serious about this you might want to check out his diet recommendations too. His biggest admonition is no wheat, no cornstarch as he says they cause you to create small LDL particles. I think eventually he's probably going to realize that all grains do that, but for now those are his two big no-nos.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 05:57

BF:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Good stuff, Ralph! Are you going to get a VAP or NMR test done to see how your particles are? I had it done during a time I was cheating something awful and I still had a pretty good score for particle size. I'd love to get it redone now that I've been a good girl for nearly a year.

If you're really serious about this you might want to check out his diet recommendations too. His biggest admonition is no wheat, no cornstarch as he says they cause you to create small LDL particles. I think eventually he's probably going to realize that all grains do that, but for now those are his two big no-nos.

Yes, I will go for the small particle LDL test. I have discussed this with my Doctor and he has no issue doing the test. What is important is what the cardiac catscan has shown and learning about the techniques Dr. Davis recommends and reading up on success stories etc in his blog and his forums that he hosts. Not sure of the difference between VAP and NMR but I will learn.

Also, I read up on the no wheat and cornstarch. This is very similar to Dr. Mercola's Total Health approach. Dr. Mercola doesn't want any grains, no processed foods, all natural lean meats, etc.

The trick is going to be implementing this. I believe cutting down on carbs to below 100 has helped and getting it down to the 30-60 really accomplishes a lot.

I am interested in getting my life back in order and enjoying another healthy couple of decades or more.

Ralph
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 12:11
Experimenter

BF:

Also, for anyone else curious about those tests, you can order and pay for them yourself if your doctor won't. I'm trying to remember which test I did... I think it was NMR. I can find a link if anyone is interested. It cost about $100 a few years ago. They send you the results.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-09, 14:00

Plan: Mayo Clinic Diet
Stats: 188/169/158 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Codergal, do you know your HgbA1c? I would think that after a while you will be able to reduce your insulin and oral meds.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 06:40

BF:

Quote:
Also, for anyone else curious about those tests, you can order and pay for them yourself if your doctor won't. I'm trying to remember which test I did... I think it was NMR. I can find a link if anyone is interested. It cost about $100 a few years ago. They send you the results.

Do find the link for me Nancy.

However, crazy as it sounds in New York, USA for whatever reasons there is a law that does not permit mailing to/from your home various blood tests.

There is always a way around it.

I can go and have my son or a friend mail it from their home out of state.

I believe my Doctor will have no issue ordering the tests.

Ralph
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 10:03
Experimenter

BF:

Here it is, the price has tripled though!
http://www.labsafe.com/lab-tests/la...ame=&panelname=

I had to ask these guys to get them to send me the results. I guess their default method is to just phone them to you.

http://www.lef.org/Vitamins-Supplem...Blood-Test.html
Lef.org has the VAP blood test, which is a little cheaper, especially if you're a member. I'm not exactly sure what the difference is, but I bet Dr. Davis has info about that.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Feb-19-09 at 10:09.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 13:27

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid Lily
Hi. I haven't been around for a long time. I've been trying different things. Raw food diet. Have any of you watched the movie. 'Simply Raw'Reversing Diabetes in 30 day. Just to mention there is a Type 1 that actually reverses Diabetes through Raw Food. The movie is by Gabriel Cousens.I've gone from 18-20 Units of Lantus & approx 20 u. of Novo Rapid daily. to taking a metformin 2x day. and no insulin. and raw food diet. I've also started to rebound-started 5 min.a day . Now I rebound at least 45 min. daily. with ease. I was taking insulin for over 10 years.Doctors weren't helping except for to give me more meds. I found a site called The Raw Divas and did a Detox.that got me started. now I go to raw food classes. ttyl. Suzy

Sometimes I feel like a broken record! You cannot reverse Type 1 with diet and/ or exercise. It is medically impossible. You can significantly lower your insulin requirements, but you cannot reverse it. Insulin is required for metabolic (read non-food related) function. Even if I were to fast all day, I would still need insulin. Could you point us to the evidence that this Type 1 actually reversed their disease with raw food?

V.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-09, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: no grains no sugar
Stats: 172/160/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:
Smile

V-effect. I can understand how you feel this way! But I've been going to a Diabetic Clinic here in town where I live for many, many years they really haven't helped me. I record what I eat , then we go over it . they always tell me I don't enough from all the food groups. I tell them over and over again 'I can't eat grains, meat, dairy. I feel terrible and my sugars go way up. So I stopped going for awhile. Got in contact with 'The Raw Divas' they helped me alot. But my biggest help was from a movie I got from Dr. Gabriel Cousens called Simply Raw -Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days. For me it didn't take more than a week and I was off insulin. I got the dvd along with 'The Ultimate Encyclopedia of the Raw Food Lifetyle. by David Wolfe. thru the internet. Yes I am type 2 Diabetic, it still takes alot of hard work. Anyway - With my progress I decided to go see the Diabetic Clinic. The nurse that I always see, is a type 1 herself. on insulin for over 30 years. I told her my story and she was shocked but she wanted to know everything. To make a long story short she is having a hard time changing but she is hardly taking any insulin and hopes to be off it herself soon. In the Dvd the one gentlemen that gets off insulin (type 1) is so impressed that he changes his path in life and starts to work at sharing this possibility with others. Any more questions , just holler. I've been told for years that it isn't possible and I believe I would be dead if I hadn't found my own path. Even now my doctor says 'Well let's see how long it lasts' instead of congratulating me. ttyl. Suzy