Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 19:01

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

What about snakes? They do have fangs, but no claws (hell, no feet!). They eat meat. (Rats, birds, frogs)

Koalas have claws, but they don't eat meat...

I's confused......
http://www.giftlog.com/pictures/koala_fact.htm
Quote:
Koalas have a slow metabolic rate due to their high-fiber, low nutrient diet.
Doesn't sound like something I need!

Horses have wolf teeth (fangs). They need to be filed down or pulled since it hurts for the bit to hit them. They are vegetarian.
http://images.google.com/imgres?img..._US235%26sa%3DN
http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn...m.com/teeth.jpg

Chimpanzees have fangs. Yeah, I know the site says they're not "true" canines. Well, of course not. They're in a primate mouth. There was a big stink a while back about a chimp who attacked a man. (I'll search for that) They aren't vegan/vegetarian either.
Quote:
http://www-rcf.usc.edu/~stanford/chimphunt.html
Chimpanzee Predatory Behavior

After three decades of research on the hunting behavior of chimpanzees at Gombe, we already know a great deal about their predatory patterns. We know that although chimpanzees have been recorded to eat more than 35 types of vertebrate animals (Uehara 1997), the most important vertebrate prey species in their diet is the red colobus monkey. At Gombe, red colobus account for more than 80% of the prey items eaten. But Gombe chimpanzees do not select the colobus they will kill randomly; infant and juvenile colobus are caught in greater proportion than their availability (Stanford et al. 1994a, 1998a); 75% of all colobus killed are immature. Chimpanzees are largely fruit eaters, and meat composes only about 3% of the time they spent eating overall, less than in nearly all human societies. Adult and adolescent males do most of the hunting, making about 90% of the kills recorded at Gombe over the past decade. Females also hunt, though more often they receive a share of meat from the male who either captured the meat or stole it from the captor. Although lone chimpanzees, both male and female, sometimes hunt by themselves, most hunts are social. In other species of hunting animals, cooperation among hunters may lead to greater success rates, thus promoting the evolution of cooperative behavior. Such cooperation has also been posited as important in our own evolution (Washburn and Lancaster 1968). In both Gombe and in the Tai forest in the Ivory Coast, there is a strong positive relationship between the number of hunters and the odds of a successful hunt (Boesch and Boesch 1989; Stanford et al. 1994b). At Tai, Christophe Boesch has documented highly cooperative hunting behavior by the chimpanzees there, and meat-sharing behavior after a kill that rewards those chimps who participated in the hunt.

A video of chimpanzees hunting and killing a monkey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTPkmH4hWCs
Wow, watching this, they may eat more meat than is recorded...

Chimp attack
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7087194/

Last edited by 2bthinner! : Thu, Dec-04-08 at 19:08.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 19:40

Maybe we're like a platypus.
They have no claws or fangs and are carnivorous. So, I don't think fangs/claws define carnivorous. I think it's what you eat...(nods sagely)
http://animals.nationalgeographic.c...s/platypus.html

I was also thinking, it's funny. Humans have no claws or fangs, yet we are the most dangerous animal on the planet.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 19:42

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 205/201/145 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress: 7%

Humans have claws, they are called nails.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 19:44

Quote:
Humans have claws, they are called nails.
Hey! Who's side are you on?!! Not in the manner I am certain BoBoGuy means....

Edited: Actually, mine could be. Mine are very humped over and very hard. All I need to do is file points...
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 20:23

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue
Herbivores: perspire through skin pores
Humans: perspire through skin pores

cows, I'm sure you'll agree are herbivores, sweat through the nose, NOT the skin.
dogs, ominivores, sweat through the tongue

Haven't had the time or the interest to research other animals. I'm having a hard time believing I've wasted this much time on this post!
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 20:33

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If we want to get into tables, here's a nice one comparing the digestive tract of a carnivore, herbivore, and human:
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/ca...omparison4.html

I'd reproduce it here but I don't think the html would work.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 21:34
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Anyone who thinks humans don't have claws and fangs hasn't run into me on a bad day.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 21:58

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Name one hunter/gatherer society that doesn't eat animal protein. Just one. Find one scrap of evidence that there have ever been humans on earth that didn't eat animal protein.

I can not name one hunter/gatherer society that doesn't eat animal protein.

However, I do believe that primitive humans taught themselved to consume red meat only in order to survive when plant foods were in short supply. We became omnivores out of pure necessity.

Due to a gene mutation found only in humans and not in our evolutionary cousins the apes, we now know that eating red meat can trigger inflammation and, over the long term, heart disease, certain cancers and auto-immune illnesses.

The problem is that a molecule found in red meat is now recognized as an "alien" and is automatically attacked by the human body simply because it’s not biologically adapted to consume it.

I’m not suggesting that anyone should become a vegan. Heck, I’m a low carbing Cronie and consume my fair share of animal proteins. I do however limit my red meat to small amounts on rare occasions and consume primarily fish and poultry due to the gene mutation mentioned above.

It’s simply sad that a mutated gene so long ago may be causing modern humans problems today. And there’s nothing we can do about it with the exception of avoiding red meat!

It’s very difficult to accept the possibility that humans may indeed be biologically vegan.

Martin: I feel honored to be peer reviewed by you and others with differing viewpoints. We’re in total agreement that I probably would make a bad scientist.

Nancy: I do read all of the posts and wish I were able to reply more. Will try to do better in the future. Your opinions have been appreciated for a very long time. Thank you!

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Thu, Dec-04-08 at 22:38. Reason: typo
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 22:19

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Anyone who thinks humans don't have claws and fangs hasn't run into me on a bad day

Hee hee hee. Same here sister!

Quote:
I do believe that primitive humans taught themselved to consume red meat only in order to survive when plant foods were in short supply.

And dolphins, who evolved from a type of wolf went in to the water to either avoid predation OR because the food source in the water was better.

See any try to go back to the past lately?

Because whales still have those little back feet and leg bones, should we start pulling them out of the water for their own good?
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 22:24
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
It’s simply sad that a mutated gene so long ago may be causing modern humans problems today. And there’s nothing we can do about it with the exception of avoiding red meat!
What is simply sad is that a single researcher is getting money to chase after this non-problem. I wonder how many of his colleagues privately refer to him as Chicken Little.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-08, 23:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
However, I do believe that primitive humans taught themselved to consume red meat only in order to survive when plant foods were in short supply. We became omnivores out of pure necessity.

I believe there's an invisible pink elephant terrorizing my neighborhood at midnight because sometimes my trash can is turned over.

When you don't connect your beliefs with good solid evidence then you might as well believe in my elephant.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 04:52

Plan: VLC
Stats: 230/157.8/155 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 96%

What utter nonsense, BoBoGuy! Seriously, if you don't back up your ridiculous claims with solid research references, this thread only serves to make you look uneducated.

I agree with Nancy's elephant story...
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 10:02
Experimenter

BF:

I don't try to argue with people who are magical thinkers because it is pretty useless. Like my invisible elephant, here's how the argument would go:

Rational me: "It isn't an elephant. There isn't any proof that it is an elephant. It could be a strong wind or the neighbors dog."

Believer me: "Of course it is an elephant! I threw peanut shells out in the trash. Elephants love peanuts."

Rational me: "There are muddy dog paw prints all around the trash can, the dog did it."

Believer me: "No, the dog came after wards to investigate. He know the elephant is there too! Animals sense these things we can't detect."

Rational me (sarcastically): "If it was a elephant, it likes chicken bones. Look, the "elephant" dragged all the chicken bones out of your trash and ate most of them".

Believer me: "Son of a gun! I saw a cow that ate a chicken once, I guess that elephant needs a little extra calcium and protein, eh? Poor thing, it is probably not getting a proper diet living off of people's trash. Maybe I'll put out some hay and carrots for it tonight."

There's just no winning this debate. Belief will always win out over rational thought, unless someone is really ready to consider the evidence that their belief is wrong. It doesn't matter how much evidence you present to support your side, they'll ignore it and skip along to some other "proof".
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 10:41
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
We became omnivores out of pure necessity.

Evolutionary theory says otherwise. Species, over the long term, do not do something out of necessity. Species, over the long term, adapt to environments (or become extinct). Human ancestors adapted to acquire energy of a novel and more plentiful source.

Quote:
It’s simply sad that a mutated gene so long ago may be causing modern humans problems today.

Ya know, there are a lot of theories posed as explanations of what "may be causing modern human [health] problems today", and some of them make a lot of sense, and have a lot of evidence in support, and don't turn evolutionary theory on its head. We'd like to see why you think so much of this tiny theory. We've seen the various blurbs posted on these boards. Is there anything else you can offer to persuade those of us with strong opinions?

Last edited by TheCaveman : Fri, Dec-05-08 at 10:49.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 10:59
Experimenter

BF:

Lets say that you're right, Boboguy. If we "became omnivores out of necessity" then doesn't that pretty much mean we evolved to eat meat out of necessity? Whether that necessity was to support the energy requirements of our large brains, or because the bamboo we used to eat froze in an ice age, it doesn't really matter. We stopped being herbivores (if we ever were, and archeology says otherwise). For instance, maybe Koala bears once ate Cilantro in addition to the the Eucalyptus leaves they currently eat. But the 150,000 years ago cilantro went extinct in their environment. So now they only eat Eucalyptus. Does that mean that Koala bears should still continue to eat cilantro? No, of course not. They moved on evolutionary-wise from that.

You also haven't answered the biological evidence that we require animal products in that we can't get B12 without eating animal proteins, or K2, and we can't get adequate Omega-3's without eating animals.

We also couldn't get enough protein from just gathering plants. You need to have agriculture to do that in order to grow grains and legumes. They're not available much in the wild. So unless the human race sprung into existence at the same time as agriculture, that would be an impossibility.