Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 06:34

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default Using The Old Bean To Reduce Starch Digestion

Quote:
Using The Old Bean To Reduce Starch Digestion
An estimated two-thirds of American adults are considered overweight or obese.
Monday November 3rd, 2008

(NAPSI)- And over the past several decades, researchers have searched for safe and effective methods to help these individuals bring their weight under control.

Increasingly, scientists are looking at natural solutions to weight issues. For example, components of some plants, such as the white bean, have been shown to “slow” the digestion of starches, offering a promising new tool for those trying to control their weight.

Starch is a form of carbohydrate that is found in foods such as potatoes and rice. During the digestive process, the body converts carbohydrates into sugar. The body does this by breaking down the carbohydrate molecule with an enzyme called alpha amylase. The resulting sugar is then used as energy for the body or stored as fat.

A highly concentrated extract of the white bean—known commercially as Phase 2 Carb Controller—functions as an alpha-amylase inhibitor, meaning it acts on the enzyme in a way that “slows” the digestion and absorption of starches. It works selectively on the starchy, white component of carbohydrates without affecting the digestion of healthy carbs such as fruit and whole grains.

Because of its ability to reduce the enzymatic digestion of dietary starches, this supplement may aid in weight control when used in conjunction with a sensible diet and exercise program. It may also play a role in regulating blood glucose already in normal limits. In 2006, it became the first nutritional ingredient with two permitted structure/function claims for starch digestion and weight control.

Phase 2 is one of the few dietary supplement ingredients to bridge the gap to food. It works in food much the same as it does in supplements—to slow the digestion of carbohydrates, reducing the caloric impact of starchy foods. Independent consumer taste tests found that it does not compromise the taste or texture of food like other ingredients, including resistant starches. In fact, consumers found that foods containing the ingredient compared favorably, and, in some cases, were preferred over traditional foods. It has numerous applications, including baked goods, frozen foods, pizza, pasta, beverages and more.
http://www.fosterfollynews.com/news...chDigestion.php

(I wouldn't really call this a natural solution, but some might find it interesting)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 08:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I know they've been selling these starch blockers for a few years now. I suspect if they worked really well we'd probably know about it by now.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 12:18

Plan: Schwarzbein/Bernstein
Stats: 355/240/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Seems it would be easier to just reduce starch intake.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 18:36
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadiab
Seems it would be easier to just reduce starch intake.

Gasp--but then you wouldn't be able to eat massive amounts of crap. *rolls eyes *

--Melissa
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-08, 18:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Yoda says --
Slow or fast -- it matters not. The total starch load, matters it does.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 17:14
Registered Member

Stats: 270/270/175 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:
Default White kidney beans stops carbs

Here is some reserach.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/...loss_weapon.htm

ScienceDaily: Your source for the latest research news and science breakthroughs -- updated daily
Science Video
Share Blog
Print Email Bookmark
Weight Loss Weapon
Carb-cutting Enzyme Stopped By Bean Extract, Endocrinologists Say

April 1, 2007 — UCLA researchers have found an extract in white kidney beans may help the body stop carbs from breaking down into sugars. A digestive enzyme in the body normally acts like scissors, literally cutting starches into little sugars. Phase 2 stops the enzyme from cutting, so the starches stay in the body as long fibers and are burned off quicker. Patients in the clinical studies who took Phase 2 lost body fat, not lean muscle.
See also:
Health & Medicine

* Diet and Weight Loss
* Nutrition
* Obesity

Plants & Animals

* Food
* Agriculture and Food
* Bacteria

Reference

* Glycemic index
* Blood sugar
* Digestion
* Whole grain

Americans are getting fatter. In fact, more than 60 percent are overweight and 18 million have type 2 diabetes. It's an epidemic that's becoming more of a problem with each passing year. Now, a new discovery could help you shed those dangerous pounds and live a healthier life.

Pastas ... breads ... cereals ... We know them well. And doctors say it's carbs like these that are making us fat.

"The problem is that starches are broken down immediately into sugars. When starch breaks down into sugar, it stays in the bloodstream, but is eventually stored as fat," Steven Rosenblatt, a family practice doctor in Los Angeles, tells DBIS.

But if you can't bear to give up your favorite foods, there's a new option. UCLA researchers have found an extract in white kidney beans may help the body stop carbs from breaking down into sugars.

"By lowering the amount of starches in our diet and the amount of carbohydrates in our diet, we allow the body to slowly start to burn off that stored energy," says Rosenblatt. He with the bean extract, known as Phase 2, which is sold in pill form and is now even added to certain foods. Here's how Phase 2 works: A digestive enzyme in the body normally acts like scissors, literally cutting starches into little sugars. Phase 2 stops the enzyme from cutting, so the starches stay in the body as long fibers and are burned off quicker -- making losing weight and keeping a normal blood sugar much easier.

Doctors say patients in the clinical studies who took Phase 2 lost body fat, not lean muscle. The extract is not recommended for pregnant women or type one diabetics because their blood sugar could get too low. Mild nausea is the only known side effect. Nora Cosgrove's struggled with her weight all her life. She admits to probably having been on every diet, but nothing worked. But when her doctor said she was on the fast-track to developing type 2 diabetes, she tried Phase 2.

After three months, she lost 30 pounds and six dress sizes! "I'm not tired anymore," Cosgrove says. "That's the main thing."

The FDA recognizes Phase 2, but doctors say it isn't a miracle pill. Patients still need to watch what they eat and exercise. But at least they don't have to give up carbs for good. It is available over the counter at health food stores for about $25 a bottle.

BACKGROUND: Scientists at the University of California, Los Angeles, examines the effect of white kidney bean extract (called Phase 2) on food and Glycemic Index (GI) levels. The research has resulted in the development of many new products for people on special GI diets, including a new pasta. It could especially benefit patients with diabetes, who need to closely monitor and control blood sugar levels, as well as serious athletes and overweight people.

ABOUT THE STUDY: Previous clinical trials found that 1 gram of the Phase 2 kidney bean extract affects blood glucose levels, while the new study shows that 2-3 grams affect GI levels. White kidney bean extract neutralizes the digestive enzyme necessary for starch to turn into glucose. It slows the digestion of starches and sugars, which can cause a rapid rise in blood sugar after eating. A previous UCLA study found that Phase 2 reduced starch absorption by 66%.

THE GLYCEMIC INDEX: Developed in the 1980s, the glycemic index (GI) ranks various foods according to how they affect blood sugar levels two to three hours after eating. Foods high in fat or protein don't raise levels very much, while certain carbohydrates are so easily broken down in intestine that blood sugar levels rise too quickly. The GI only tells you how rapidly a particular carbohydrate turns into glucose; it doesn't tell you how much of that carbohydrate is in a given serving of a particular food, or what percentage are 'available' carbohydrates, i.e., those that provide energy (starch and sugar, as opposed to fiber). You need to know both to fully understand how a given food affects blood sugar levels. The glycemic load (GL) measures the latter. A GI if 70 or more is high; 56 to 59 is medium; and 55 or less is low. A GL of 20 or more is high; 11 to 19 is medium; and 10 or less is low.

HOW DIGESTION WORKS: Food and drink must be changed into smaller molecules of nutrients to be absorbed into the blood and carried to cells throughout the body. It does this via the digestion process. Food is travels through the esophagus into the stomach, where it is dissolved and emptied into the small intestine. The digested nutrients are absorbed through the intestinal walls, while the rest is expelled as waste.

Barb
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 18:54
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

... and you know what happens to undigested starches when they hit the fermentation-microbe-rich large intestine. If you follow a starchy lunch or breakfast with a dose of this stuff, make sure you don't have any afternoon meetings scheduled.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 19:00

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Wouldn't it be easier and safer to simply eat fewer carbs to begin with, rather than eating carbs plus a pill to keep you from absorbing them?

This reminds me so much of the stuff that kept you from absorbing fats, that ended up causing oily diarhea.

Why are people so hesitant to change their diets and so quick to pop pills?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 19:12

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Paying for foods you aren't going to absorb and then paying more for the pills to block absorption (and better also buy some Beano to block the f~rts) sounds wasteful to me. And legumes can have other side effects, like causing inflammation or other immune responses.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 19:21

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
... and you know what happens to undigested starches when they hit the fermentation-microbe-rich large intestine. If you follow a starchy lunch or breakfast with a dose of this stuff, make sure you don't have any afternoon meetings scheduled.

Sorry for a digression. Lately I had a very similar result (a lot of gas!) with cabbage. I like cabbage. It's low carb. It's cheap. Why can't I eat it? It can't be undigested starch it the case of cabbage. So what else?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 20:47

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicie
Sorry for a digression. Lately I had a very similar result (a lot of gas!) with cabbage. I like cabbage. It's low carb. It's cheap. Why can't I eat it? It can't be undigested starch it the case of cabbage. So what else?

I've read that many veggies, such as cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, onions, and others, have suphuric compounds that are the culprit. I eat 'em anyway, but only at dinner, and I don't go out afterwards!

Rachel
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 20:49

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

interesting. I've noticed that those gassy veg don't do anything to me if I'm low carbing.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-09, 21:07

Plan: HighFat/LC
Stats: 160/158/135 Female 5' 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I used to take Phase II back in 2003. I don't know if it worked or not, but I never really lost a lot of weight in my first attempt at Atkins.

I read in Prevention Magazine awhile ago that its claims of absorbing carbs have not been substantiated.

I'm with everyone else-I think it's better to stay on plan in the first place-and not have to worry about whether all the extra carbs you ate were absorbed and also having to buy the stuff.

Last edited by svince6 : Wed, Feb-25-09 at 18:15.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 00:19

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 76
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
Why are people so hesitant to change their diets and so quick to pop pills?

Wonderful programming job by the media and ad companies yes?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 17:48
Registered Member

Stats: 270/270/175 Female 5'
BF:
Progress:

All have good points. I don't know it all so I am learning. You know what on the NBC news they say only calories and exercise counts.

I know I am better off on lower carb.

Barb