Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-08, 03:22

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default Prostate Cancer More Deadly in Men Producing High Insulin Level

Quote:
Prostate Cancer More Deadly in Men Producing High Insulin Level

By Michelle Fay Cortez

Oct. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Men diagnosed with prostate cancer are more likely to die from the disease if they have been overweight and have high levels of the hormone insulin, a study found.

Researchers analyzed data gathered as part of the Physician's Health Study, which tracked more than 22,000 male doctors in the U.S. starting in 1982. Those who were overweight and had high levels of a protein that rises with insulin secretion were four times more likely to die after a diagnosis of prostate cancer, even when the tumor was detected years later, according to the report in The Lancet Oncology.

Prostate cancer is the most common tumor in men, with more than 186,000 cases diagnosed each year in the U.S., according to the American Cancer Society. It kills more men than any malignancy except lung cancer. Because the cancer grows slowly, many patients ultimately die from other causes, said Jing Ma, the lead researcher from Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard University in Boston.

Identifying men with the greatest risk of dying from the disease can help doctors determine how aggressively to treat the condition, Ma said. Body weight and insulin levels may help make that determination.

``Roughly about 10 percent of these men will eventually die of the cancer,'' Ma said. ``The crucial question now facing urologists, oncologists and prostate cancer patients is what are the risk factors that can predict the bad cancers,'' she said in an Oct. 3 telephone interview.

Weight Risk

People are defined as overweight and obese according to measurements of the ratio of height to weight, using a scale known as the body-mass index. A 6-foot man is considered overweight at 184 pounds and obese at 221 pounds. Men who were overweight or obese before their diagnosis were significantly more likely to die from the cancer than those who were normal weight, even after the researchers took into account the severity of the cancer.

Since obesity is known to cause metabolic changes, the researchers also measured the level of a protein, C-peptide, that reflects secretion of insulin in the body. High insulin concentrations may promote tumor progression. The researchers found that men with high levels of the protein marker for insulin were more likely to die from prostate cancer, independent of their weight status.

The message from the study is one that all men should heed, Ma said. Extra pounds, in addition to contributing to heart disease, diabetes and other ailments, may contribute to the development of deadly prostate cancer, she said.

``This gives more incentive to control body weight for men in general, and specifically for men with prostate cancer.''
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?...s.NA&refer=home

I think there's a bit of a chicken-egg situation going on here ... what's betting they'll reccomend a low fat diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-08, 11:47

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 76
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisbabe
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?...s.NA&refer=home

I think there's a bit of a chicken-egg situation going on here ... what's betting they'll reccomend a low fat diet?

That would be a sucker bet.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-08, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisbabe
what's betting they'll reccomend a low fat diet?
Nearly but they really think the answer is MORE DRUGS.

Prediagnostic body-mass index, plasma C-peptide concentration, and prostate cancer-specific mortality in men with prostate cancer: a long-term survival analysis
This provides further impetus for men to avoid becoming overweight and to decrease their risk of metabolic syndrome by physical activity and diet. So you're probably right

Second, our data suggest that the recent progress in prostate cancer control might have been attenuated by the increased prevalence of obesity and hyperinsulinaemia. It also adds to the rationale for investigation of new therapeutic and prevention strategies, such as use of insulin-lowering or antidiabetic drugs and new agents that target the insulin/insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor family as an adjuvant therapy for prostate cancer.

God forbid that anyone should suggest one could lower insulin by simply stopping eating those foods that raise insulin.
What profit would there be in doing that?
People could stop eating insulin raising foods for nothing and then where would we be?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-08, 21:30

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

" men with high levels of the protein marker for insulin were more likely to die from prostate cancer, independent of their weight status."

Right, so insulin/glucose FEEDS the cancer. But then they go on to blame 'extra pounds' instead of glucose. How stupid are these people?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 00:28
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilithD
" men with high levels of the protein marker for insulin were more likely to die from prostate cancer, independent of their weight status."

Right, so insulin/glucose FEEDS the cancer. But then they go on to blame 'extra pounds' instead of glucose. How stupid are these people?

People overthink these things, instead of looking at the answer that's staring them in the face. Sometimes I think that scientists should have to pass the 9-year old test: does your reasoning make sense to a 9-year old? If it doesn't then try to look for a more elegant solution before you spend time on the convoluted rationales.

--Melissa
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 05:55

Plan: Lacto-paleo
Stats: 201/146/140 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I really wish I knew what I know now five years ago.

My uncle died of prostate cancer and as a former alcoholic, had a very sweet tooth. He ate sweets right to the end and none of knew it was killing him.

It makes me so angry to think of all the needless deaths due to wilful ignorance of the facts by the medical industry
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-18-08, 07:01
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddas
I really wish I knew what I know now five years ago.

My uncle died of prostate cancer and as a former alcoholic, had a very sweet tooth. He ate sweets right to the end and none of knew it was killing him.

It makes me so angry to think of all the needless deaths due to wilful ignorance of the facts by the medical industry
What makes me furious is the reluctance to make changes when there is no risk involved. I don't think we should blame people for not knowing things before they were discovered but research papers showing the link between Vitamin D deficiency and prostate cancer progression goes back to the the 1980's. Once it's been shown that improving Vitamin D status reduces PSA levels you would think that it would become standard practice within weeks. but there is no big business profit to be made from pushing solutions that are free or dirt cheap so no one is motivated to apply this information.

We still see on the UK Cancer Research site very little information on the value of Vitamin D in reducing incidence and mortality. The information they do provide on Vitamin D and sunshine is out of date, inaccurate and deliberately misleading.