Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 15:16

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Default Resources

I did not have time to post resources but if you search on the internet you may find articles and books by Dr. Arthur Balin. He is one of 400 people trained to do Moh surgery developed by Dr. Fred Mohs who just passed away. Also there are some people who tan easy and never had a problems but that is just the averages playing out. Some people have the right genes and DNA repair mechanisms. I've seen plenty of people who tan easy all wrinkled up, but that is a minor problem compared with having your face resurfaced.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 15:27

BF:
Default Sun Sensitive!

Can you guess this is a sensitive topic to me. When my doctor said you get all the sun by the time you are 18 to have cancer later means this - DNA damage is done in the skin and it incubates for many years. So you have ticking time bombs in your skin that go off later in life. You don't have to get any more sun from 18 on. Whatever my doctor cuts out now is fine. But new spots will keep coming out the rest of my life! Only for your face they have a new treatment that can remove the sun-damaged skin. They burn the entire skin off your face with a CO2 laser for $7,000

Listen to Joanie!

Search the internet - Yahoo science headlines just had an article on tanning salons in last couple months.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 09:10

Plan: Protein Power LP Dilletan
Stats: 164/145/138 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 73%

Okay, Dr. Eades was not talking about the type of sunbathing that most of us think of when we hear a Beach Boys song.

He says that most people who never get a drop of sunlight, like those who drive to work early in the morning and then stay inside the office until nightfall should spend TWO MINUTES in the sun during the day. I hardly call that excessive sun exposure. Dr. Eades also repeats again and again, "NEVER EVER BURN". Again this is reasonable, protective advice and not likely to have occurred to the numerous dark-tanned, fake-baked sun-worshippers around the world.

You get a safe form of Vitamin D precursor from the sun. That way you never overdose on vitamin D. Exposing one arm to the sun (without sunscreen) for two minutes will give you your Vitamin D for the day. Taking Vitamin D supplements can make you take too much. Dairy products are the only other way to get Vitamin D and for a lot of us we cut them out to LC.

Dr. Eades also says that tanning beds are bad for you. He says that originally sunscreens only blocked out UVB light which is the kind that burns the skin. So people used UVA light which they thought was the safe kind in tanning beds. Now it turns out that UVA light is the kind that causes the melanoma type cancer NOT the UVB kind. The UVB kind that sunblock blocks is the kind that produces Vitamin D. So you need at least two minutes of unprotected sun to get your Vitamin D. Also, the sunblocks that most people used for a couple decades included PABA, a carcinogen. Therefore, people were creating more cancer by using sunblock.

If you work outside or have to be outside for part of the day, you do NOT need to sunbathe. But if your skin never ever comes into contact with the sun, you should try for at least two minutes of sun exposure to your arms and legs about three times a week. This is a very safe level.

Again NEVER stay out until your skin burns and use a UVA, UVB, PABA-free sunblock when you simply must stay in the sun for a long time. Dr Eades says he does this when he is snow-skiing.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 09:42

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Default Broad-spectrum sunscreens

It is also important to note that many, if not most sunscreens do not effectively protect against UVA rays. UVB rays cause burning, so if we use a UVB protector, we probably won't burn, but we WILL get a dose of UVA, which causes cancer and a host of other bad stuff. And that person sitting at their desk by the window, or driving with their windows rolled up is getting a nice dose of UVA radiation if they are not wearing a broad-spectrum sunscreen. That is why dermatologists find more cancerous moles and lesions on left arms than right arms in this country. As I said before (ad nauseum!) if you don't apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen in the morning, you are exposing your body to UVA rays that you don't want. Don't even get me started on tanning beds! I know so many people who have gotten in trouble using those things!

When you buy a sunscreen, read the ingredients carefully. The only true broad-spectrum ingredients are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide (physical blocks that will leave a bit of a white sheen on your skin -- safer for kids) or avobenzone, known commercially as Parsol 1789 (chemical block). If the label does not include these ingredients, you can safely assume that only about 50% of the UVA rays will be blocked.

Since I'm on a roll, I'll continue. Any SPF under 15 is a joke, and most responsible dermatologists are now suggesting that your sunscreen have at least an spf of 30. Sunscreen only lasts about 2 hours, and after that, should be reapplied. A "dose" of sunscreen is about an ounce, or about a shot glass full. In this house, we go through about two bottles a week! After 5:30 or 6PM, I allow my children to be outside without sunscreen, but before that, it's sunscreen or stay inside. Applying sunscreen is so much a part of their lives that it's like brushing their teeth. They are both very healthy children with beautiful, non-freckled clear skin.

Gary, I moved here from Southern NJ about 4 years ago, and I saw first-hand what sun worshipping did to my friends. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy!
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 10:00

BF:
Wink Words of Caution!

I am glad to see some words of caution in Voyager's last post. Most people will get that 2 minutes of sun through normal activity even with sunscreens. Sunscreens only delay the burn according to the SPF number. I use Coppertone Sport 48. After many years of hating the feel of sunscreens or the smells I found this one. It goes on great, dries super quick - non-oily. It is PABA free and Hypoallergenic for sensitive skin. My wife uses it and she has sensitive skin - no problems. Does have a fragrence added which is one of my big beefs. I don't want to smell like I am at the beach during work. This product smells but not too strong. Best prices I found at Wall Mart. Also I wear a Indiana Jones explorer hat all the time outside. have three of them - keep one in the car. take one on business trips. Check out POP Hats online. They have several styles of wide brimed Sun Hats. Be very wary of diet doctors giving advice about sun exposure. Unfortunately the damage is done early and the problems come later. My doctor can take special picture and show the sun damaged skin - very scary. You will not even know the effects until later. I can't scare you all enough! How about go to your local good Dermatologist. Sit in the waiting room and talk to all the people in there about their problems. It is a wake up call!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 10:26

BF:
Default Pile it on Joanie!

You said it! I have been in outside sales for over 20 years. Guess where my problems started ? The left side of my face and ear. I told my doctor that driving must be the cause. The other problem is my right arm which is always my lead arm say in painting my house. But other areas are just delayed. Now I have precancer and cancer on the right side of my face. I have had about 9 basil cancers removed with Moh surgery. Another 4-5 precancers with cryogenic. Now have another 4 cancer spots to be removed and just had 3 precancer spots treated with Carbolic Acid. In addition I have had over 20 moles removed and have another 30-40 to be removed. (Most have been Dysplastic Nevi Atypical) See thats the real secret of how I am losing weight - just cut skin off.

#22   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 15:43

BF:

Oh, Dr. Eades says if you are in the sun long enough to feel it, then immediately put clothes on and cover-up. Dr. Eades highly recommends hats and sun umbrellas.

If you have to be in the sun during the day, such as driving for work or working outside or skiing or the beach: cover-up!

Thanks Joanie for reinforcing the point about UVA protection. Thanks Gary for sharing so some of us can smarten up when it comes to sun over-exposure.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 11:18

BF:

New York Times August 6, 2002

Sunlight, a Cancer Protector in the Guise of a Villain?
By INGFEI CHEN

n contrast to the often repeated warnings about tanning and skin cancer, some scientists have been exploring an almost heretical notion: sunlight may actually protect against other cancers.

The idea is not new; two epidemiologists proposed it 22 years ago. Their theory was that vitamin D, which the skin produces when exposed to sunshine, somehow prevents the growth of malignant cells.

People who live in less sunny, high-latitude regions do not make as much of the vitamin, and so they could be more vulnerable to tumors, the theory maintains.

At first, most scientists scoffed at the whole notion. Vitamin D, after all, was known to play a major role only in keeping bones strong. But two decades of research later, the possibility that the substance may wield some kind of anticancer power no longer seems so far-fetched.

While the hypothesis linking a lack of sun and vitamin D to cancer remains controversial, some researchers are looking into vitamin D as a possible remedy. Clinical trials in people are now under way, testing whether the vitamin or similar compounds can treat tumors or bolster chemotherapy.

Sunlight supplies the body with about 90 percent of its vitamin D. Ultraviolet rays prompt the skin to produce a biologically inert form of the substance, which is then converted into an active form, as a hormone called calcitriol.

In the early 1920's, scientists discovered that a deficiency of vitamin D from inadequate sunlight caused rickets, a childhood bone disease. For decades, experts believed that the vitamin mainly protected bones.

But in 1980, Dr. Cedric Garland and Dr. Frank Garland, epidemiologists and brothers, hypothesized that some cancers were brought on by a lack of sun and vitamin D.

They had noticed that National Cancer Institute maps revealed a striking geographic distribution of colon cancer deaths: the highest death rates were clustered in Northern states and were about three times as great as rates in the South.

Other scientists later suggested that low vitamin D levels also led to prostate cancer, noting that it was twice as common in blacks as in whites. Blacks are less prone to skin cancer because dark skin shields out sun rays, said Dr. Gary Schwartz, an epidemiologist at Wake Forest University. But the dark skin, he said, may explain the higher rates of prostate tumors.

"If you believe that sunlight causes one cancer, you can use the same evidence to argue that sunlight prevents another," Dr. Schwartz said. Men in Maine are 50 percent more likely to die of prostate cancer than are men in Florida, he added.

Studies by the Garlands, Dr. Schwartz and others have since shown that people in relatively sun-deprived regions, or with low vitamin D levels, appear at greater risk for a variety of cancers.

In April, researchers at the cancer institute reported that the chances of dying from breast, colon, ovarian and prostate cancer were reduced by about 10 to 27 percent for people in the sunniest areas, compared with those to the north, based on death certificates in 24 states.

"The theory is increasingly being substantiated," said Dr. Cedric Garland, a medical professor at the University of California at San Diego. Dr. Garland believes that simply meeting the recommended dietary allowance for vitamin D, 400 international units a day for people over 50, may help ward off cancer. But 2,000 units a day can be toxic, he added.

Critics said the epidemiology reports did not prove that a deficiency of sunlight and vitamin D caused tumors.

"The evidence is provocative, but it's not ironclad," said Dr. Donald Trump, chairman of medicine at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo. The observational studies do not rule out other factors like genetics and diet.

"I think there's something to it," said Dr. John Milner, a nutrition researcher at the National Cancer Institute. But the data are not persuasive enough, he said.

Still, there is a body of laboratory evidence that vitamin D may have tumor-thwarting potential. Over the past 20 years research has found that calcitriol plays an important role in controlling cell growth and maturation — and that colon, prostate and breast cells even carry the protein receptor that binds to calcitriol.

Dr. Schwartz and his colleagues showed that prostate cells even make this hormone themselves. "It's enough to inhibit their own growth," he noted. Whereas androgens, or male hormones, are the gas pedal driving the prostate's growth, "the vitamin D is the brake."

In the petri dish, large doses of vitamin D or the hormone calcitriol can inhibit the proliferation of cancerous cells.

Some early experiments have also found that the vitamin D compounds convert tumor cells into normal cells, keep them from spreading, and even kill them in lab dishes. Studies suggest that the chemicals stymie tumors in rodents as well.

The research touched off hopes that calcitriol might prove a potent cancer therapy. But a major obstacle has been safety.

To achieve the high concentrations of vitamin D that produce anticancer benefits in the laboratory, researchers thought extraordinarily high daily doses would be needed, Dr. Trump said. Such amounts are toxic, driving up blood calcium levels, causing vomiting, weight loss, calcium deposits and even osteoporosis.

But Dr. Trump and his former associates at the University of Pittsburgh said they had solved the problem. In trials, they were able to give large amounts to cancer patients just three days a week, or even once a week.

Dr. Tomasz Beer, an oncologist at Oregon Health and Science University, has also been testing intermittent doses of calcitriol, alone or with other treatments, against prostate cancer. At a conference in May, he and colleagues presented the first clinical evidence that vitamin D might improve the effectiveness of chemotherapy.

In a continuing trial, 37 men with advanced prostate cancer received weekly doses of calcitriol and docetaxel, a chemotherapy drug, for six of every eight weeks. P.S.A., or prostate-specific antigen, levels were cut in half or greater in 81 percent of the patients. Among the group, the disease was held in check for a median period of about a year. In past studies of stand-alone docetaxel therapy, Dr. Beer said, 42 percent showed this kind of P.S.A. reduction, and tumors were controlled for a median time of about five months.

The benefits exceeded his expectations, he said, but they should be viewed with caution because the trial lacked a direct comparison group receiving just docetaxel. The next step is a major national clinical trial that is beginning to enroll patients. It will compare calcitriol plus docetaxel to the chemotherapy drug alone in 240 patients. Information on the trial can be found online at www.novacea.com/products/ascent.

"If that trial comes out negative, these early promising results will go into the dustbin of history," Dr. Beer said. But if the trial finds positive outcomes, "we'll have an exciting new, well-tolerated treatment for prostate cancer."

Meanwhile, labs worldwide have also been working to invent safer versions of calcitriol that eliminate its toxic effects. Scientists are now studying some of these vitamin D "look-alikes" in cancer patients.

Dr. Schwartz is conducting a trial of a drug called Zemplar in men with advanced prostate cancer. In Europe, a Copenhagen company called LEO Pharma is testing a compound, Seocalcitol, against a placebo in 1,100 liver cancer patients.

While vitamin D-based therapies look promising, Dr. Schwartz said, "The acid test is, Where is it going to be in 10 years?" In the next three to four years, researchers expect to start seeing some answers.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 23:21
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Really?

Quote:
Originally posted by k-fire

I was just reading about PP for the first time and was thinking of picking up their book, but, this quote just floors me! Mother Nature didn't need to put it further away - she added a protective ozone layer.

-k-fire (the 45+ spf red-headed beach girl)

I don't know, but I don't think that statement was made in all seriousness. But there goes my common sense running wild again. Sorry.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 01:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

From another red head - I reckon I get my 2 minutes or so walking to and fro the car, collecting in the washing, walking to the dogs kennel etc. for which I don't put on sunscreen. Anything else and its 30+ and full UVA protection, not out at midday, hats and long sleeves etc. The sun is good for us and bad for us, and it needs treating with caution - even more so by folks with skin like mine.
It was one of the sections of PPLP that had me wondering how good the Eades really are and if they consider the effect their words might have. OK, so they say the cautionary bits, they stress 2 minutes and so on, but they are still telling people to sunbathe and that's the message you come away with, when all the caveats have faded.
Not very sensible in my view, given that we all seem to like to look tanned anyway (mine comes from a bottle). Watching around here, folk still need telling to be careful with the sun, not to sunbathe.
Just my two penn'orth!
Jay
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 21:13

BF:

In defense of the Eades', I have to point this out even though I hate to admit it. There was a time in my life when I was ... well ... obese -- not just overweight, but obese. This also made me very depressed. Or else I was very depressed so I became obese. (chicken or egg?). Anyway, there were weeks at a time when I wouldn't leave the house or see a speck of sun. Literally! I didn't want to see anyone. I didn't want anyone to see me. My skin was so white, worse than pasty white, it was almost blue-white. I looked anything but healthy. And guess what? If you don't look healthy, you probably aren't healthy. I think I'm not the only one who has gone through this seclusion phase.

The Eades' wrote their book for many people in that same position. They wanted to point out that despite the pejorative common statement that the sun is bad, the sun is also good for you.

Truth be told, there are not many obese people out there getting tans. Just maybe, they aren't getting any sun at all. If you are in good enough physical shape to feel good in a bathing suit, I doubt if the Eades' were directing their message to you.

In spite of their recommendation to sunbathe, they emphasized that the length of time spent in the sun should not be measured in hours, but in minutes. As soon as your skin feels warm, they say to put on a hat, a shirt, and open an umbrella. And if you must spend all day in the sun, then use sunscreen.

As a side point, I want to drive home the point that even if the Eades' are unequivocally wrong about this one point, it does not invalidate the rest of their book which is one of the best books I've ever read on diet and nutrition (and I'm including college textbooks that I've read).
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 00:09
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/low carb
Stats: 198/190/190
BF:
Progress: 100%

This is from May 2002 issue of Max Sports and Fitness Magazine www.maxsportsmags.com

The Skinny on Tanning
While many medical practitioners claim that sun-tanning is injurious to the skin, this is actually misleading. "Injury" is defined as anything that causes a change in health or condition. But by definition, working out with weights will cause this to occur every time the muscles break down and repair. Never do we consider that "post-workout" soreness an injury, so what's the truth? Moderate suntanning can be beneficial to the body and help prevent certain cancers such as colon and breast cancers. Staying out of the sun can cause Vitamin D deficiency, leading to osteoporosis or breast cancer. In the end, it's all about moderation.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 09:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 141/135/120
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Long time sunscreener

I live in deep South Texas so as you can imagine we've got a lot of sun issues. I also love being outside and for me 90 degrees is a nice balmy temp. But I'm really fair skinned and I've had several moles removed (everything came out okay), but I do agree with Eades' on sunscreen issue.

I'll continue to forgo the sunscreen for short hops in the sun, but when I'm out for long periods of time (days at the beach etc) I only apply sunscreen (highest most sweatproof, waterproof I can get) once. If I start to get warm about 4 or 5 hours after I put clothes on.

The reason why is that after sun exposure your pores open up and if you add more sunscreen whatever agents are in there will actually cause an acid type burn on my skin. So then I'm burning myself with chemicals which seems really stupid.

Love the sun and the sunscreen just know how they work for or against eachother!

cc
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 23:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/186/175
BF:
Progress: 76%

I happen to fall on the sunlight=good, sunscreens=bad side of the fence. I believe diet plays a larger role in cancer formation than sunlight, in particular the consumption of highly polyunsaturated vegetable oils which are easly oxidized and subject to free radical formation. Throw in a diet high in carbohydrate that keeps glucose levels elevated and you have the perfect environment to grow form and grow cancer cells. Anyway, here are some interesting articles dealing with sunlight, diet, and cancer:

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/sunlight.html

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fu...m_sunlight.html

http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/fats_and_cancer.html
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 00:11

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/186/175
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally posted by anniemc
"had Mother Nature wanted us to use sunscreen, she would have put the sun further away" say the eades.

Are you sure the Eades said that? I sure don't recall reading that in either of their books. I think that was just something that razzle posted earlier.

Quote:
"by the same reasoning, you could argue, "had Mother Nature wanted us to eat a low-carb diet, she would not have created high-carb foods".

Mother Nature didn't create that many high-carb foods, man did. Mother Nature may have created grains, but it is man that stripped the grain of the bran and fiber and greatly increased its available carbohydrate content through various processing and cooking methods. The same goes for just about any high-carb food.