Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 14:37

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Kyrasdad, I dunno, doesn't potato raise insulin more/faster than glucose soda?

Anyway, about that school thing, beware! It gets worse. Kindergarten is merely the indoctrination stage. This process begins with getting the kids addicted to low- fat chocolate milk, tater tots, fractionated corn, and bread. In later years, you kid will come home with more propaganda from the school, endorsed by the AHA and ADA. You may even be asked to participate in your child's "nutritional education" by feeding them ever more grains and corn.
The "Nutrition Nuggets" newsletter will be filled with easy and fun tips and games for tricking your kids into eating even more poison.

The worst lunch this month at our school comes on the 24th:
Waffle w/syrup
(OR Corn Dog Nuggets)
Tater Tots
Fresh Orange Smiles (slices)
Graham Crackers
Low-fat Milk or low-fat Chocolate Milk

I sure do wish all the folks on this forum (and others) could all join together for a fun-filled class action lawsuit against the USDA (to start). Wouldn't that be fun?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 14:45

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
One large russet potato contains 63 grams of carbohydrates

YIKES!

There is nothing essential to human nutrition in a potato.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 15:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yes, yes. We got it, potatoes > pasta. How many more times are you going to post that link?

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sun, Sep-14-08 at 15:24.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 15:15

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

63g of carbs. It looks like one big chunk of sugar to me. I can't see how a potato is good for me or anybody else for that matter.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 15:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJ
The worst lunch this month at our school comes on the 24th:
Waffle w/syrup
(OR Corn Dog Nuggets)
Tater Tots
Fresh Orange Smiles (slices)
Graham Crackers
Low-fat Milk or low-fat Chocolate Milk

That is indeed the worst lunch ever. I mean, it's all sugar.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 15:28

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

63 g of carbs are more carbs than I eat in an entire day. Hell, usually more than I eat in two entire days.

I can get WAY more nutrients WITHOUT the glucose by eating a piece of steak or some kale with butter.

Whatever vitamins are in potatoes are negated by the damage caused by the carbohydrates.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 15:34

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqo
I disagree. Potatoes are in fact very nutritious.

It all depends on what your definition of "nutritious" is, doesn't it.

On a low carbohydrate forum where many people are eating/have found their CCL is below the 63 grams that potato contains your position, which really is only based on personal opinion, is a hard sell and I doubt you'll find many going "by golly, you've shown me the light!".

Try not to take it personally when people point out your opinion is flawed. There is nothing a potato provides that suitable whole low carbohydrate foods, well, can. And for significantly less carbohydrate - simple, complex, or otherwise.

Personally, a russet potato indeed has its place in this way of eating. Added to pureed cauliflower for faux mashers on Thanksgiving.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 16:03

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 76
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
That is indeed the worst lunch ever. I mean, it's all sugar.

No joke, having spent 25yrs in food service I can say unless the corn doggies are homemade (yeah right) even those are loaded with HFCS, both in the dogs (a little) and in the corn batter (LOTS)
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 17:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 217/217/155 Female 61
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqo
That's not even close to being true.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?...odspice&dbid=48

Maybe; but potatoes are a food that LOTS of carb addicts are addicted to!
They maybe healthy in small portions; but many addicts don't use "small portions"; so they must be avoided in people like me.
Its a food that can cause problems; its best to avoid them.

Schools use them ONLY because they are cheap and store well over a long period of time and kids are addicted to them. Nothing more.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 20:00

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Thank you Cates. My feelings in a nutshell!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 20:11

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Those of us on this forum avoid carbs because of certain health reasons. Not all people have the same problems we do. Many people thrive on high carb diets. They do not come to this forum, it wouldn't make sense. But it makes no sense for us to say that foods not good for us are not good for someone else.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 20:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
But it makes no sense for us to say that foods not good for us are not good for someone else.

I would beg to differ. I don't think super starchy/sugary foods are good for anyone. Whether or not your body can currently tolerate them is irrelevant, in most people that ability is going to degrade after years of over-exposure to them. There are a few people with genetics that seem to let them get away with it for a very long time but there's the rest of us that start to see issues much sooner.

Read Good Calories, Bad Calories, then you might understand why some of us think starchy carbs like potatoes are always bad.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 20:33

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 76
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
Those of us on this forum avoid carbs because of certain health reasons. Not all people have the same problems we do. Many people thrive on high carb diets. They do not come to this forum, it wouldn't make sense. But it makes no sense for us to say that foods not good for us are not good for someone else.

Exactly!! Like we say on the diabetes forum ... whatever works for YOU!

IMHO its all about genetics, some people are genetically equipped to deal with a carb diet ... some are not ... for some people a high fat diet is a fast track to high bad cholesterol and clogged arteries, for other its the opposite.

(Rant mode)
To me one of the basic problems with medical science today is the "one size fits all" blinders that the doctors and scientist seem to wear. Something like cancer is a good example. they talk about finding a "cure" even in the face of the fact that different people respond differently to different treatments ... which should IMO be a clue that there is probably no single cure for everyone.
(Rant off)

Anyways .. I am low carb as a way to control my type 2 diabetes, for me 60g carbs per day and (depending on what the meter is reading) a max of 20 per meal is what works, but for me the simple carbs like potatoes, pasta, sugar, and rice, even at <20g per meal will send my blood sugar into the roof. There are some people that can eat twice that much per day .. and some that max out at 30 ... everyone has to find out where their happy zone is.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 21:27

BF:

It's not the fat that causes atherosclerosis. It's the carbs. It does so regardless of who eats it. We're all made on the same physiological model. We may differ in aesthetics, shape or size but not in metabolic functions. We all share the same organ makeup. We all share the same insulin mechanism. We all share the same fat cell function or cardiovascular function. So, we all share the same vulnerability to carbohydrates. What will differ is the time it will take for its effects to show itself. For me, it took 40 years. For others, it may take 10. Or 60.

Consequently, a low carb diet is universal in its ability to lower blood sugar and return the person to a better health. A potato is universal in its ability to cause blood sugar to rise with the subsequent events that this brings about. It's like this because the mechanisms are the same. The only thing that may change is the amplitude.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 22:01

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default 63 grams of carbs in a potato...

Our body treats all carb as sugar, irrespective of the source.

In that vein, if I'm going to eat 63 grams of carbs, it mind as well be from a scoop of chocolate ice cream, which tastes 1,000 times better than any potato.

At least I'll get my day's worth of calcium?