Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 07:46

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsmama
..... . . . I have found that I can eat certain fruits but only in small amounts. My main point was that eating carbohydrates as a snack right before bed probably isn't the best thing to do to help calm DP.

I have also found this to be true for me. I tried the fruit before bed and my numbers still went along their merry way.

~Danielle
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 07:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Danielle, metformin is commonly prescribed to PCOS patients to aid in weight loss. I can understand your aversion to meds, but you would probably find that metformin helps your DP and weight loss. It it were me, I would press him for a trial of metformin.

Telling someone with PCOS to go home and lose weight is not helpful.

Don't laugh my OB/GYN doesn't want to give me the Metformin as well. I asked for it. She felt Metformin didn't do anything. I'm apparently getting bumb MDs?

I may have to switch OB/GYN....again.

~Danielle
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 08:08
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantEven
Don't laugh my OB/GYN doesn't want to give me the Metformin as well. I asked for it. She felt Metformin didn't do anything. I'm apparently getting bumb MDs?

I may have to switch OB/GYN....again.

~Danielle

I would see an endocrinologist. PCOS is an endocrine problem with some ovarian symptoms.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 10:51

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 263/218/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Eddie

I agree that there is too much unquestioning acceptance of Bernstein -- although I use his plan as a starting point and adjust to what works for me. I did take your remark as sarcasm, but now that you've explained it was my misinterpretation!

I think there is also far too much unquestioning acceptance of lots of things -- including medications and treatments!

Mary
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 11:00
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
I think there is also far too much unquestioning acceptance of lots of things -- including medications and treatments!

Medications and treatments are preferable to destructively high blood sugars. Some people have beta cell damage (most long standing type 2s) and will never be able to have normal blood sugars without them no matter how diligently they eat.

Having to use medications or insulin to control blood sugar is not a moral failure and the attitude to avoid it at all costs is commonly called "psychological insulin resistance." Funny thing is that if you are thin and diagnosed, you will seldom have that attitude. It is prevalent among the heavy who believe they caused their diabetes.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 11:04

Quote:
..... "psychological insulin resistance." Funny thing is that if you are thin and diagnosed, you will seldom have that attitude. It is prevalent among the heavy who believe they caused their diabetes.....

That is me to some degree. I felt very guilty the first few days after diagnosis. Now - I'm not trying to avoid medication at all costs but, of course, if there is a way that I can avoid it - in a healthy manner - I would but, not at the cost of my health. It doesn't help that my doctors don't seem to want to put me on Metformin. I'm afraid, if I don't, my beta cells will "burn out".

That was a run on sentence for sure.

~Danielle
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 11:21
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
That is me to some degree. I felt very guilty the first few days after diagnosis. Now - I'm not trying to avoid medication at all costs but, of course, if there is a way that I can avoid it - in a healthy manner - I would but, not at the cost of my health.

Most people with hypothyroidism are thrilled to get meds that return their metabolisms to normal. Why the stigma for diabetes? Look at this this way: it was the insulin resistance that caused weight gain. There is no reason to feel guilty or to think you "caused" it. Anything that can help with the insulin resistance is a good thing.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 11:32

Quote:
Most people with hypothyroidism are thrilled to get meds that return their metabolisms to normal. Why the stigma for diabetes? Look at this this way: it was the insulin resistance that caused weight gain. There is no reason to feel guilty or to think you "caused" it. Anything that can help with the insulin resistance is a good thing.

My doctor as well as many - I think - made me feel as though my weight gain caused the insulin resistance and not the other way around. So, at first, I did feel that I brought this upon myself even though I tried hard to lose weight. I now realize, I was using the wrong diet (high carb/lowfat). Now, as I have mentioned previously, my GP thinks putting me on Metformin will hinder my weight loss efforts. I'm not really sure why he thinks that. I had a long chat with him but, since all of this was so new to me, I wasn't really prepared to counter his thoughts. I just thought the whole thing odd since I always felt standard procedure for me would be Metformin (IR/PCOS..etc)

I agree with you and no longer feel guilty but, it was my initial reaction.

On a seperate note - I'm rereading Bernstein and although my numbers upon waking at 6am were 109mg/dl. Even with a snack and no morning cardio, my numbers went to 125mg/dl and even 2 hr PP Breakfast - 120mg/dl. I just can't get these morning sugars to stay low. It starts my day off high and then takes all day to get them down.

The odd part is, I started low carbing the moment I learned about my diagnosis and had great numbers the first few weeks. I got it to stick around 100mg/dl -many times going into the 80's. Now, they just seem to like to stick around 120mg/dl and work down to maybe 100mg/dl. I was only diagnosed July 1st. I've lost 10 lbs. Could it be the weight loss? My diet has remained basically the same.

~Danielle
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 13:16
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
The odd part is, I started low carbing the moment I learned about my diagnosis and had great numbers the first few weeks. I got it to stick around 100mg/dl -many times going into the 80's. Now, they just seem to like to stick around 120mg/dl and work down to maybe 100mg/dl. I was only diagnosed July 1st. I've lost 10 lbs. Could it be the weight loss? My diet has remained basically the same.

It is probably your liver. When insulin levels drop, the liver makes glucose out of protein. Your liver doesn't know you have diabetes and it measures the level of insulin, not glucose. You might try eating less protein and more veggies.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 13:18

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

I was able to control my BGs for about the first 6 months with diet and exercise. But like you, things declined. Doctor was very grudging about metformin and hysterical about insulin. So I got it OTC at Walmart. Odd thing happened a year later (Yesterday). I am on Rx'd Lantus now, and still use OTC Regular for bolus. I forgot to take my insulin on a trip up to my new doctor 80 miles away. Anyway, no bedtime Lantus, no Regular for breakfast, until I got home at 4 ps. And my BGs stayed about 95 the whole time. I ate very lightly - a slice of chicken breast, and the inside of a hamburger on the way home. I think my natural insulin was able to cope by itself, not well, but acceptably.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 13:59

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
[QUOTE=CantEven]My doctor as well as many - I think - made me feel as though my weight gain caused the insulin resistance and not the other way around. So, at first, I did feel that I brought this upon myself even though I tried hard to lose weight.

I'm the first to admit that I don't know as much as I should about this disease. I thought I gave myself diabetes, even though I knew the disease runs in my family, because I had gained so much weight over the years. I think because at the same time you're DX'd you're told to lose weight and that doing so may help you avoid going on any type of meds.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 15:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamlynn

I'm the first to admit that I don't know as much as I should about this disease. I thought I gave myself diabetes, even though I knew the disease runs in my family, because I had gained so much weight over the years. I think because at the same time you're DX'd you're told to lose weight and that doing so may help you avoid going on any type of meds.

I've been overweight most of my life, weighing 65 lbs in kindergarten. I seriously believe I have been insulin resistant for a long time - at least since puberty. I had problems since day one of my menses. I've also had acanthosis nigricans since the onset of puberty. Of course, that could fuel the idea of my weight being the cause.

~Danielle

Last edited by CantEven : Fri, Aug-15-08 at 13:25.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 13:16

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 263/218/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Medications and treatments are preferable to destructively high blood sugars. Some people have beta cell damage (most long standing type 2s) and will never be able to have normal blood sugars without them no matter how diligently they eat.

In response to this, I take medications myself to help control my diabetes. I am on the combination pill, Actoplus Met. I didn't mean to imply that one shouldn't take medications for the disease. What I meant was that some people just blindly take what is prescribed without investigating side effects or options -- unquestioning acceptance or blind faith, I guess.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 13:29

Quote:

In response to this, I take medications myself to help control my diabetes. I am on the combination pill, Actoplus Met. I didn't mean to imply that one shouldn't take medications for the disease. What I meant was that some people just blindly take what is prescribed without investigating side effects or options -- unquestioning acceptance or blind faith, I guess.

I can only speak for myself but, I didn't feel you were implying that people shouldn't take medication more that people shouldn't blindly take the medication or take medication without taking further steps to improve their health such as exercise/diet/stress reduction.

My Father unfortunately, summed up his care to a pill and then continued life as "normal" until his death three years ago at age 61. He chose not to take insulin and somewhat ignore his condition. You can guess that he passed from complications due to diabetes.

I appreciate your input.

~Danielle
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 15:08

I made an appointment with an endocrinologist. The quickest date I could get, and I called around, was September 22nd. They didn't ask me to fast so, I'm assuming they aren't running any tests that day but rather "getting my story" - understandable. Anyway, October 1st would make the three month mark since my first A1c. So, I will keep chugging along eating low carb and see what the results come up with. Either way, I think the number should be better than my original A1c of 6.5%. That isn't to say I don't need meds just that I hope the number is better. I'm working hard.

As always, thank you for your advice and opinions. It feels good to bounce thoughts off of others.

~Danielle