Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 08:32

Plan: unknown
Stats: 106/106/106 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy Prednisone leads to my yeasties discomfort

Hi All,
I have Crohns disease and this is my first time posting anything anywhere. My best friend sent this to me in hopes that ya'll can help maybe. I just spent the last 3 months on a high dose prednisone. Last Friday I had an endoscopy and a colonscopy (It was a great Friday ) Anyway they found fungas in my throat and all the way down to the lining of my stomach. I am told its because the Prednisone weakened my immune system. So ok no biggy.. The send me off with a three week supply of Diflucan.

So heres the problem. Or Problems.. I began taking the medication yesterday and within an hour, my ankles were swollen, my joints were hurting, Nausia, and acid reflux from hell. Samething today but lets add that I cant stop coughing and I sound like a smokey 75 year old phone sex woman (grin) I am the MOST pickiest GAL in the world.. All my body is craving is Score Chocolate bars and Hot dogs. I am very very limited in what I can eat because of my condition.. And being Picky doesnt help.. I hate chicken and I am super limited in vegtables I like or can eat.. But I am at that point.. where I feel completed defeated physically and emotionally.. And to top it off my blood pressure for some reason has been at 150/100 since last Friday.. Having that checked again today.. I dont know if anyone can help or anything.. But i'm open to suggestions...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 11:28

Plan: PPLPish<30ecc.
Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

oh prednisone is very dangerous and this is one example why because it weakens the immune system and lets it act up.What you are experiencing now is yeast die off symptoms. It should go away in some time.

But the problem will still remain diflucan or not. You need to do low carb to kill the yeast that is the only way. Why is your helath less important than your taste buds? You need to change your lifestyle.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 13:45

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Welcome, MsAnnieMac! It sounds like you're having a miserable time - I hope things get better.

Your taste is incredibly important. It's your body's way of telling you what it needs. It can be really hard at first if you have to eliminate your favorite foods, but if you stick with it, I bet you will find new foods you love. While I've been doing low-carb, gluten-free, dairy-free, traditional-foods, I've really learned the meaning of "acquired taste." It's a good thing!

Hot dogs are pretty low carb - is there a reason you can't have them? If so, is there another kind of sausage that might not be so bad? We make sure our hot dogs are dairy free - kosher beef hot dogs always are. Of course we don't eat the buns - just a little mustard or ketchup or sauerkraut for us.

You only need variety in your diet if you don't like what you're getting, so stick with the things you like that are ok for you. And don't eat anything you hate!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 14:02

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

oh sister, I'm with you. I had to take a diflucan Monday after 2 or 3 weeks on prednisone. As late as yesterday I was questioning whether I would have to get a refill but today I'm starting to feel a little better.

Low carb all the way. There are so many yummy foods to eat when you low carb. I'm not much on red meat but I love seafood. I'm also not much on vegetables but I force down a salad now and then.

I had much worse problems with yeast infections before low carb. Now, I only get them when I've been on prednisone a while and then, not every time.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 16:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi MsAnnieMac, and welcome.

I wonder if you have heard of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet? It is specifically formulated for folk with Crohn's or Ulcerative Colitis, and may eventually help you to never need prednisone again. Here is a link with info about it: http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-a...drate-diet.html
And here is the home page: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

Cheers,

Roz
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 17:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Prednisone is pretty harsh stuff, it can cause diabetes too. I understand though that it probably isn't optional in your condition.

I would also like to endorse that you adopt some dietary changes like the SCD diet Rosebud mentioned. Or The Paleo Diet, which is very similar. I've had a lot of gastro issues (nothing really diagnosed) which go away when I eliminate certain foods, especially grains and dairy. My first step towards rectifying the problem was the SCD diet. But I soon realized it was very similar to Paleo eating, so I switched. After that I found a few more foods, from an elimination diet, that bring on my symptoms.

Dietary changes often seem really hard but once you get started they're not really that bad. Lots of folks here can give you ideas on what to eat!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 20:15
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I don't know much about Prednisone or yeast issues, but I do know that food allergies and intolerances can cause a great deal of symptoms in the GI tract.

Last summer, I finally decided to ditch dairy foods, and ended up clearing up most of my tummy issues. I read this one particular book, called "The False Fat Diet" - and one of the simpler recommendations was to eliminate a group of foods called the 'sensitive seven' - the most commonly reactive foods, namely, wheat/gluten, dairy, corn, peanuts, eggs, soy, sugar. Since I was already following a low-carb diet, I had eliminated some of these from my eating plan already. Next step was to ditch the dairy.

Later on, I realized that I was pretty much following a Paleo-style diet, and that I felt much, much better eating this way.

Eggs don't seem to be too much of a problem for me, but I'm not so sure about gluten. Definitely dairy causes major pain in my GI system, and I'm glad I gave it up. I've switched from things like cream in my coffee to things like organic light coconut milk. Also, almond milk is pretty good too, and doesn't bother my stomach.

I think that wheat/gluten and dairy are just about the worst things a person with GI issues could eat, no matter what the diagnosis is.

I've been having GI problems off and on for the past two years, and am in the process of figuring out whether it's a gluten (wheat) problem and/or a dairy problem (I know I don't deal well with dairy, but not sure about the gluten part yet). I'm getting some tests done over the next few weeks to find out.

In the meantime - one thing that always helps me when my stomach's acting up is organic peppermint tea. I've seen lots of references to taking enteric-coated peppermint oil capsules for things like IBS and the like, but I also noticed that they aren't recommended for anyone who also has GERD or reflux problems. I tried the peppermint capsules, but didn't like them too well. The peppermint tea is fantastic - always calms my tummy. I usually get "Traditional Medicinals" Organic Peppermint tea - as it's readily available in most stores. Decent peppermint tea is amazing for quelling nausea too, so it might come in handy while you figure out why you're experiencing nausea from the new medicine you're taking.

Here's hoping you're feeling much better soon.

Sara
PS - Can you eat avocadoes? I've been hearing that eating more potassium-rich foods can help alleviate high blood pressure. Also, what about some fruits? Things like blueberries are perfectly Paleo, and might make a nice nutritious 'treat' for you in the absence of vegetables that are rather irritating to you right now.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 07:17

BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you

I wanted to write and say thank you for your replies I am aware that a lifestyle change is order. And it goes a little bit deeper then my taste buds being the issue. Before I continue I just want to address the hot dog thing.. I have never been big on hot dogs.. 3 days into my 40mg a day prednisone run I started craving hot dogs and chcolate bars.. Almost to the point where if I didnt get them it you didnt want to be around me.. So since late may I have been eating hot dogs and chocolate bars on a daily basis. Pretty sad.. Yes I know.. I understand that the body craves what it needs.. Especially when taking prednisone.. But why Hot dogs? And the chocolate? Years ago it was Kosher hot dogs I craved when I was on the steroids.. But I have never been on prednisone for such a long period like this.. Especially suffering about 70% of the side effects. I am surprised I still have people in my life with these mood swings and crazy cravings.
A couple weeks back I started eating hard boiled eggs for breakfast. Surprisingly this is one way I can eat eggs.. I seem to have a good tolerance for diary which is good because I like my lattes..
As for the yeasties in my body.. I am still coughing and feeling like death with the oh so not sexy voice.. And I am hoping this too will pass since they have me at 200mg of the Difulcan for 3 weeks..
One question before I go and research these diet suggestions.. Funding is a huge issue with me right now.. Lets say $1500 a month is all I get and I have all those great things like a mortgage and bills to pay.. What would you reccommend would be the first thing I elminate from my diet? I realize thats a pretty out there question but, I need to know where to start, and I get discouraged very easily..
Last thing for being a first timer writing online looking for help you guys/gals made asking a lot easier.
So thanks again
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 08:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, I'd eliminate the "white stuff" stuff first. Sugar, flour, bread, cereals, yes that includes "healthy, whole grains". They're not really healthy, especially for those of us with messed up guts. Hot dogs are ok, just be sure they're a good quality without too many mystery ingredients. Kosher dogs usually are better quality. No buns though! I'm going through a hot dog phase too.

I'd avoid the starches and sugars like crazy, especially with the yeast issue because it feeds on that. Also prednisone makes your blood sugar go up which tips you towards diabetes-ville. You don't want to worsen that problem by eating sugars and starches. You might even find some things improving if you stick with low carb while on prednisone. Lots of people get crazy blood sugar and that does affect one's brain!

I'd probably be going for the green veggies, meats, eggs, berries (without sugar they're very low in sugar). If you need sweetener then get sucralose or something like that. You can also get very low sugar chocolate too. Frozen veggies can be very good quality. Bury them in butter and lemon juice. I like veggies but perhaps that might make them more palatable to you?

Actually... I found out through trial and error recently that chocolate really messes up my intestines. How sad since chocolate is something I have always loved. But I admit I love it a lot less now that I realize it makes me spend hours in the toilet doubled over in pain. You might want to experiment with that and see if it affects you too.

Dairy products are another possible source of problems for a lot of people, beyond the lactose intolerance issues there are a lot of people having allergic reactions, sometimes like in Celiac disease, to cow's milk protein.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 08:39
I've decided

Again, I've no experience or knowledge of Crohn's or yeast stuff, or the Prednisone...

But, if I were you, I'd transition over to a maintenance version of a Paleo type of diet. That'll eliminate wheat and dairy.

You could do it in stages - no wheat/gluten at first, keep the dairy and see how you do.

It's important to do a maintenance version of Paleo though - since I don't think you want to be losing any weight right now.

In terms of food costs - while it may seem like things like pasta and bread etc. are cheaper, they're really not.

You know how the stores usually have a 'unit price' so you can compare cost of items on the shelves? Some amount per pound/ounce or whatever?

I always like to think in terms of nutrient to price ratio. With boxed cereal or some such, I'm not getting any nutrition for my money. Not helping my tummy issues, and I'm likely getting high fructose corn syrup and maybe even the dreaded trans fats too.

You want high-quality nutrition for your grocery budget. It may 'seem' a bit more expensive at first, but I think over time, you'll find that you're saving money. Not paying for a bunch of chemicals that you don't want, not paying for bulky packaging, and everything you eat is whole, fresh and nutritious food.

Also - I have a funny feeling that if you nourish your body well, you'll uplift your spirit in the process. Feed yourself well, and your body will thank you. At the same time - your heart, mind and spirit will respond to the tender loving care you are lavishing upon your body. Good food, good mood.

How long do you have to continue taking the Prednisone and the anti-yeast medicine?

Hang in there - there's lots of hope and help around these forums.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 08:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnieMac
Hi All,
I have Crohns disease and this is my first time posting anything anywhere. My best friend sent this to me in hopes that ya'll can help maybe. I just spent the last 3 months on a high dose prednisone. Last Friday I had an endoscopy and a colonscopy (It was a great Friday ) Anyway they found fungas in my throat and all the way down to the lining of my stomach. I am told its because the Prednisone weakened my immune system. So ok no biggy.. The send me off with a three week supply of Diflucan.

So heres the problem. Or Problems.. I began taking the medication yesterday and within an hour, my ankles were swollen, my joints were hurting, Nausia, and acid reflux from hell. Samething today but lets add that I cant stop coughing and I sound like a smokey 75 year old phone sex woman (grin) I am the MOST pickiest GAL in the world.. All my body is craving is Score Chocolate bars and Hot dogs. I am very very limited in what I can eat because of my condition.. And being Picky doesnt help.. I hate chicken and I am super limited in vegtables I like or can eat.. But I am at that point.. where I feel completed defeated physically and emotionally.. And to top it off my blood pressure for some reason has been at 150/100 since last Friday.. Having that checked again today.. I dont know if anyone can help or anything.. But i'm open to suggestions...

Abruptly stopping high-dose steroids can lead to gastric problems. Steroids suppress everything the adrenal glands are doing. It may not be the new medication causing these symptoms, it may be steroid withdrawal.

IF you feel like crap you're going to go to your comfort foods. I'm not an MD but I know steroids should be tapered rather than stopped abruptly in most cases.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 09:11
I've decided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Well, I'd eliminate the "white stuff" stuff first. Sugar, flour, bread, cereals, yes that includes "healthy, whole grains". They're not really healthy, especially for those of us with messed up guts.

I'd avoid the starches and sugars like crazy, especially with the yeast issue because it feeds on that. Also prednisone makes your blood sugar go up which tips you towards diabetes-ville. You don't want to worsen that problem by eating sugars and starches. You might even find some things improving if you stick with low carb while on prednisone. Lots of people get crazy blood sugar and that does affect one's brain!

I'd probably be going for the green veggies, meats, eggs, berries (without sugar they're very low in sugar). If you need sweetener then get sucralose or something like that. You can also get very low sugar chocolate too. Frozen veggies can be very good quality. Bury them in butter and lemon juice. I like veggies but perhaps that might make them more palatable to you?

Dairy products are another possible source of problems for a lot of people, beyond the lactose intolerance issues there are a lot of people having allergic reactions, sometimes like in Celiac disease, to cow's milk protein.

Go with Nancy's suggestions. Eliminate all the whites, the sugar, then the wheat etc.

Sometimes I assume that people posting here have already eliminated sugar and things like potatoes, but that's not necessarily the case - so Nancy's given you a very good starting point.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 13:15

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Everyone says it's best to eliminate all possible problem foods at once, and from a scientific point of view, it is. But I was not able to handle that much change at once. I started by eliminating gluten, which in itself is a big change because that cuts out 90% of all processed foods. There's a lot of hidden gluten - for example, there's wheat in soy sauce, barley malt in breakfast cereal and "rice syrup", and flour in soups, sauces and gravies.

I think I've heard that chocolate cravings can be caused by a manganese deficiency. Maybe a mineral supplement would help? In general, grains, nuts, and beans inhibit mineral absorption, while animal fats help with it. There may be some minerals in the hot dogs you're craving too - some people do fine with no salt, but others actually get sick if they don't get enough sodium.

The best way to get minerals without a supplement is to make bone broth. It's a lot of work, but maybe you could get a friend to help you with it.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 21:34

BF:
Progress:

I am actually starting to view this change I am about to embark on less frightening. I think I am going to go with Nancy's, citruskiss and BFF's suggestions and slowly start eliminating things. While I am working on that I am actually going to start educating myself on the other stuff! So BFF if yer reading I'm ready and I want your help!
Ya'll need to check out her blog www.fearandloathinginthekitchen.com

I went and saw the GI today and the good news is that during the colonoscopy they only found one wee lesion. So I can continue to wheen off the prednisone and stay off it! And I haven't eaten any of my usual daily dose of hot dogs and chocolate bars!
Not so great news is that the Yeasties are now on my tongue!!!! Why is that?? I started the Diflocan on Tuesday ~ 200mg and it wasn't on my tongue until today! Like my tongue felt weird and had cuts on it but now its very visable and uncomfortable as is my throat. Almost like ticklies but not! Hard to explain. So the Doc says to stay ~ 200mg for a week and then 100mg for the remaining 2 weeks. I'm confused because normally when one starts taking medication they start to see improvement not additional problems.. Thoughts?
One final question: since its on my tongue now is it transferable by kissing and sharing like I dunno a fork?
Again thanks for all your help! I may even try other communities!

Last edited by MsAnnieMac : Fri, Aug-08-08 at 22:30.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 08:49
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

You know I'll help you anytime, anyway I can bubbas Hell, I'll come over and cook bone broth for you!

Aren't the ppl here great?

You may want to start other threads here for yeast questions, re: contagiousness (is that a word?) or spreading, Diflucan side effects and yeast side effects (I know some ppl have experienced depression and other emotional symptoms that were yeast-related, plus physical stuff)