Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 11:21
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eades
There is a common denominator across all of these plans - from VLC or 'zero carb' to South Beach maintenance. The foods that contain both carbs and fats together have to be 'controlled'

Thanks for posting this Sara!

"Controlled" is the right word and he answers his own question right there.

We are each unique in our gene heritage and DNA...so why would one food plan work for all?...its just not the case.

What do they all have in common?....control of carbs and fat.....and not eating processed foods!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 11:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Sure. When I wanted to stop my weight loss, heavy cream was my weapon of choice.

If you consume too much dietary fat, your body will have all the fuel it needs and won't need to draw on fat stores, no matter how severely your restrict carbs.

Read the howskinnykiniget thread.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=379366

I'll check out the "too much fat" thread. However, I would like to explore the theory that foods that are carb AND fat heavy should be controlled. Heavy cream doesn't fall into that category.

At the end of the day, whatever we end up finding works for each of us individually, it comes down to moderation.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 13:12

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Lightbulb

I find this discussion very interesting. I have recently been panicking over a sudden weight increase that I couldn't explain. One thing that made the gain puzzling was that my macro percentages and total calories hadn't changed much, but the weight is creeping up. On going back through my Fitday journals and looking at food selections not just counts and percentages, I see that when my weight was at its lowest and my energy levels best, I was eating about 60 total, 40 net, carbs per day and they were coming from a wide variety of vegetables, oat bran, some fruit, Ry Krisp crackers, and, surprisingly, milk. I was not using heavy cream, and, while I was eating full fat cheese, there was less of it and more olive oil, avocado, and hummus. I even had occasional splurges on pizza or chocolate but the weight dropped right off again within a couple of days. In short, it looks like the quality of carb and fat, along with fiber, was a bigger factor than I realized. My diet was actually quite "Beachy," except for the non-fat and reduced-fat dairy. (I simply won't eat that stuff. I'd rather have half an ounce of real cheese than 4 ounces of fat-free plastic.)

Here's my plan. I am going to go away now. Put my scale away, and for one solid month (handily, today is August 1), eat exactly like I did during my best days, as described. A month from now I'll come back and tell everyone if I've begun to lose again.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 13:15

BF:
Talking P.s.

You poor dears! I hope you're all able to sleep during the coming weeks while you wait to hear how I am doing!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 13:18
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
it looks like the quality of carb and fat, along with fiber, was a bigger factor than I realized. My diet was actually quite "Beachy," except for the non-fat and reduced-fat dairy. (I simply won't eat that stuff. I'd rather have half an ounce of real cheese than 4 ounces of fat-free plastic.)

Exactly...ITA!

and I agree on the fatfree cheese and certain dairy. I have found some cheese that taste the same to me so why not the lite version. ie: lite jarlsberg. I also enjoy the Laughing Cow lt cheeses. Lt sour cream tastes the same to me as regular full fat.

I'll be interested to see the results of your month long experiment, Nelson!!
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 14:18
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
In short, it looks like the quality of carb and fat, along with fiber, was a bigger factor than I realized. My diet was actually quite "Beachy," except for the non-fat and reduced-fat dairy. (I simply won't eat that stuff. I'd rather have half an ounce of real cheese than 4 ounces of fat-free plastic.)

Here's my plan. I am going to go away now. Put my scale away, and for one solid month (handily, today is August 1), eat exactly like I did during my best days, as described. A month from now I'll come back and tell everyone if I've begun to lose again.

Yes, I think there is something to this 'quality' aspect.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with this, it really does help.

My weight loss is increasing. I've upped carbs, but once again - it's that 'quality' aspect too.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but I was sort of wondering about those foods that have carb/calories/fat on the high-ish side all in one food. Just thinking and wondering aloud. I find it curious that many low-carbers need to reduce consumption of these particular foods - and it doesn't really matter where on the low-carb spectrum of plans they are.

PS - editing to add: Nelson - I hope you update here at the beginning of September with your findings.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 17:12
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I think the fat-carb foods have to be "reduced" or "controlled" because they are addictive. Again, the ounce of almonds isn't the problem. The problem is exactly what Susan said -- it's easy to eat a whole can. I can make a pretty good argument that almonds or other nuts are among the "highest quality" foods so I have some skepticism about "quality" labels as an absolute.

If the diet you eat is nothing but almonds, that ounce you just ate is a low quality food. If you diet is nothing but chicken, broccoli and butter, then your last meal was a low quality meal. But if your diet is chicken, broccoli and butter then that ounce of nuts you decided to eat was a quality food.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-08, 10:36

Stats: 172.0/166/145 Female 5 feet 3inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thanks LessLiz!

I've let 16 pounds slowly creep back up on me since I gained my goal in 2005....not too bad, BUT (that's where it's all ending up)LOL!
Anyway, I knew I was still eating BASICALLY low carb but
the cheese, nuts, pork rinds and such are normal snacks for me.

I forgot the calorie factor and haven't been drinking enough water (confession).

I realize now that I need to get off the low carb "junk food" and back to the meat and veggies....stricter. Also, less creamy salad dressings...
Thanks again, O wise one
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-08, 10:58

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

geez, wish I'd seen this thread sooner.

some interesting stuff here.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-08, 18:16

BF:
Thumbs up I'm baaack

I said I'd be back in a month and here I am. For the past four weeks I have concentrated on reducing the saturated fat in my diet (notably dropping the cream in my coffee, the full-fat yogurt and most of the red meat and cheese). I haven't eliminated the sat fat, just replaced it with MUFAs everywhere I could.

The important thing is that I have definitely reversed the weight gain. I only lost 2 lbs, but I took about .75 inches off my waist and my clothes fit well again. Two lbs and .75 inches doesn't sound like much, but I am only 5 feet tall and about 6-7 lbs overweight, so it is a big step in the right direction. My total calories remain about the same 1300-1400 per day on average with 60-65% coming from fats. I haven't increased the number of carbs, just made more of an effort to get more of them from vegetables. In fact, lately, I have made a point to eat green, red, orange, yellow and purple produce of some kind every day. I include one small serving of either fruit or grains every day. I have put "Rosedale" as my preferred woe because what I am doing is closest to his recommendations for maintenance, although I don't take any of his supplements.

I'm sure there are people reading this who are rolling their eyes at my reduction of saturated fats, but I think that when you are close to goal, the quality of fat and carbs really comes into play. Even if sat fat doesn't cause heart disease, I believe that my body will burn only the saturated fat that I eat instead of my stored fat if I don't cut back.

I think I am going to keep the diet like this for awhile and put more effort into exercising every day.

Just thought I'd check in, since several women noted that they were having the same sort of problems.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 10:06

BF:

Congratulations on finding a blend that works for you.

What is an MUFA?
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 10:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapestry
What is an MUFA?

Monounsaturated fat. Think olives and olive oil, nuts and nut oils, avocados and avocado oil.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 10:13

BF:

LessLiz, I love your new avatar! Where'd you get it?

By the way, I see a lot of people talking about nuts stalling their weight loss or being addictive. I think it is simpler than that. I think nuts are simply compact and easy to overeat. We're used to seeing large mounds of food on our plates adding up to 400+ calories, but nuts can give you that much in a handful. I eat a lot of nuts, but never without putting them on my digital scale. I always carefully weigh and account for them in my daily calorie/carb count. I never eat nuts right out of the can ad libitum.

Calories do count. No one, not Taubes, not Atkins, no one ever said that calories are irrelevant. I think it just seems that way when you are in the early stages of losing a lot of weight, since you really need a lot of calories to maintain a large body mass, and suppressing the fat-storing insulin allows your metabolism to begin tapping the existing fat stores for some of those calories.

I understand that carbs raise blood sugar which raises insulin which stores fat. All of that is a large part of the weight loss or gain equation. But taking in more energy than we need to expend is still part of that equation as well. In my experience, I can easily eat as much fat as my body needs to function during the day and thus spare all of my stored fat to be used another time. If I want to use/reduce that stored fat I have to deny my body some dietary fat and force it to go to the stores.

Last edited by Nelson : Mon, Sep-01-08 at 10:29.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 10:17

BF:

Nice. Those are my very favorite sources of fat and carbs.
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-08, 10:24
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
I said I'd be back in a month and here I am. For the past four weeks I have concentrated on reducing the saturated fat in my diet (notably dropping the cream in my coffee, the full-fat yogurt and most of the red meat and cheese). I haven't eliminated the sat fat, just replaced it with MUFAs everywhere I could.

The important thing is that I have definitely reversed the weight gain. I only lost 2 lbs, but I took about .75 inches off my waist and my clothes fit well again. Two lbs and .75 inches doesn't sound like much, but I am only 5 feet tall and about 6-7 lbs overweight, so it is a big step in the right direction. My total calories remain about the same 1300-1400 per day on average with 60-65% coming from fats. I haven't increased the number of carbs, just made more of an effort to get more of them from vegetables. In fact, lately, I have made a point to eat green, red, orange, yellow and purple produce of some kind every day. I include one small serving of either fruit or grains every day. I have put "Rosedale" as my preferred woe because what I am doing is closest to his recommendations for maintenance, although I don't take any of his supplements.

I'm sure there are people reading this who are rolling their eyes at my reduction of saturated fats, but I think that when you are close to goal, the quality of fat and carbs really comes into play. Even if sat fat doesn't cause heart disease, I believe that my body will burn only the saturated fat that I eat instead of my stored fat if I don't cut back.

I think I am going to keep the diet like this for awhile and put more effort into exercising every day.

Just thought I'd check in, since several women noted that they were having the same sort of problems.

Great result and good job!!
I think that what you did was wise...very wise!!