Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 12:18

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
LOL! They didn't fall off. I had to "diet" to get them off. At one point I did low-fat, low-calorie, low-carb... yikes! But that budged about 15 pounds when I was totally stuck. I could try that again... but it isn't easy at all and I'm not sure I could maintain it. Hmmm... maybe I should try again. Right now I'm eating to my appetite, low-carb, staying fairly paleo. But definitely not losing.

And I'm cheating all the time, drinking sugar, eating fruit, overeating on occasion and still losing four pounds a week! It's nothing to do with my metabolism, though, of course not! I must just be better than you - na na na na na!

On a serious note, I thought once I got this low my metabolism would slow down but it's been the opposite. It sped up like crazy after my "set point" was out of the way (I never beileved in set points before) and it hasn't mattered whether I 've been a slug or exercising like crazy, in fact, I lost the most during a two month hiatus from exercising. Anyhoo, I hope the same for you.

Janine
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 12:22
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Chandra, you are a sweetheart!
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 12:24

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Wifezilla is a liar who refuses to take personal responsibility for herself

Have we met in RL?
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 12:24
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Are you going to use a washboard and hang it out to dry?

Or maybe pound rocks?
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 12:25

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I'm lazy and irresponsible, so I am just going to become a nudist so I don't have to expend any energy washing clothes.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 12:39
Registered Member

Maybe we met when I visited Colorado Springs.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 12:40
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Sometimes I feel guilty because it seems like I'm the only one who has a "normal" weight. Yet, I have to operate with a set of constraints that are abnormal to say the least. I HAVE to constrain myself and calculate everything I eat, inject insulin, cross my fingers, make voodoo charms and hope it comes out right. Then I HAVE to do my cardio and dumb bells to make sure I don't become so insulin resistant that I can no longer control it. I MUST be careful to choose healthy, low-GI foods so that the voodoo charms will have some chance of working.

If I were normally abnormal, or abnormally normal?, I can't see myself going to these extreme measures. But when the consequences of bad choices are a severely shortened lifespan, it is pretty a much a no-brainer to make myself do these things.

Even after doing all those things for years, after 3 pregnancies and a back injury, I managed to gain too. I was lucky in that low-carb allowed me to lose the weight, but I was eating pretty low-calorie too.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 12:40
Registered Member

Pounding rocks sounds good. So does milking the cow and churning your own butter!
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 12:49

Plan: eat less, exercise more
Stats: 229/185/154 Male 66 inches
BF:41%/28%/13%
Progress: 59%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Pounding rocks sounds good. So does milking the cow and churning your own butter!

So many euphemisms!
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:01

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Glendora, how come you're still overweight if you have the secret knowledge?

That is an excellent question and I don't mind it at all.

I was never overweight until the age of 36. I'm 41 now. Until then, the heaviest I ever got was 130, but typically, I was between 115 and 120. It wasn't "natural"--and I never said metabolism has nothing at all to do with weight, just that metabolism can hardly account for the severe degree of overweight and the extreme numbers of overweight in today's population. (I know someone else made the "metabolism" jab but I figured I'd just stick this in here.) For example, you might naturally be, say, 135 and I might naturally be 120 and that could surely be due to metabolism given that we were the same height, age and basic activity level. But if you were 195 and I were 120, that is much less likely to "just" be due to metabolism. I'd think that was pretty much common sense but as I said, the comment was made, so I'm addressing it.

I think I did explain why I'm overweight now, but I'll explain again. My first child was born when I was 19, and following calorie restriction (the "big thing" of the day), I got down to 105 pounds about four to five months after my son was born. I didn't have children again until much later, when I remarried. I got pregnant at age 35, I ate and ate my way through that pregnancy just like the first one, but the second time, I found myself less able to "calorie restrict" following the birth. I was older...I had less patience for "ooh, look at me, I'm dieting"...I don't know. I tended toward calorie restricting for a time, then bingeing. Then, I did low-fat but very high-calorie and primarily refined carbs--as in, probably not a vegetable for full days or even a week at a time.

I found CAD, lost 20 lbs., then stopped losing because I was pregnant again. Again...ate my way through the pregnancy. I knew what I was doing. I was disgusted with myself but kept giving myself the same platitudes. "Oh, some of that weight is placenta." Well, frankly, I challenge anyone to uncover a case of a 60-pound placenta, but what can I say.

After my third son was born, I tried Atkins (had loosely tried it several years earlier), went off it...tried intuitive eating, pigged out...tried calorie restriction, felt faint (probably psychological...I wasn't severely restricting)...futzed around for a full two years, and am now back on CAD again and am having success.

So that's why I'm fat right now.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:03

BF:

I don't think 15-20 pounds sounds that overweight. I don't think most of this country is only 15-20 pounds overweight, though. It sounds to me like you're doing wonderfully. I wouldn't change my WOE for just 15 pounds if the WOE were working for me and my life; again, when I talk about the degree of overweight, we're talking overweight. Like the overweight I am right now (I'm five foot one). Like many, many more people are today in comparison to any previous generation.

Quote:
I lost 40ish pounds on low carb in the first year or two then got stuck. I'm still overweight by about 15-20 pounds. Actually, compared to my college weight, I'm overweight by 40 pounds, but I figured I'd give my poor aging body a break and not shoot for my skinniest weight.

However, does that mean that low carb failed me or isn't the right plan? Not at all. I am battling middle age, thyroid issues, some autoimmune issues, and just an incredibly pokey metabolism. I can assure you I would have even worse problems on higher carb plans. Not only would I be battling my slow metabolism but I'd be hungry all the time to boot, and probably plodding my way to worsening insulin resistance and diabetes.

Could I starve myself and exercise like a maniac to reach my goal weight? Probably. But that is a fool's errand. You have to do what you can continue to do, otherwise the results are temporary. I don't want to have to devote an hour a day (plus the time involved for showering, re-doing the hair etc) to exercising. I don't want to starve myself and think of nothing but food all day long. I've been down this path before in my almost... 50 years *gulp* of life and I know what happens to these extreme measures. With the exercise, you'll eventually injure yourself and have to knock off for a period while you recuperate. However, your appetite is bigger from all the exercise and however much you *think* you can just eat less, it doesn't happen. You gain weight. The starving yourself is something your brain and body doesn't like and it'll plot incessantly to get you to eat more. It isn't a lack of willpower. It is trying to do something totally against your nature. It is like trying to get a stream to run uphill or breathing underwater.

So anyway, what I'm suggesting is that the "There's a perfect diet for everyone" idea isn't valid. Or if it is, the perfect diet is the one humans were evolved to eat and has nothing to do with most of the books being published on dieting. And perhaps some of us have crippled metabolisms, not to mention bodies, from our exposure to phthalates, hormones, PCBs, too many years of a SAD, or who knows what else.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
That was my question. After all, getting down to normal weight from 178 seems like a trifle the way Glendora tells it. Easy as brushing your teeth!

Janine

Did I not specifically say that losing weight isn't easy? In pretty much those exact words? (Go back two or three of my posts, I think...I don't remember...)

I didn't say "losing weight is easy", but if that's all you could come up with, so be it. I understand that my personal responsibility posts ticked people off. That actually wasn't my intention, but if you're ticked, you're ticked...let the (unwarranted) accusations fly!

But on a serious note, I did say, and continue to believe, that saying it's someone else's fault that we gained weight isn't good enough, at least for me. Nor is saying that "my metabolism" made me grossly overweight; if so, then my previous family members should all have been grossly overweight, just like me. And trust me when I tell you they ate carbs; they just ate less of them (and less of everything), moved around a lot more than I do, and didn't use excuses. As far back as the 70s I recall my grandmother telling my mother she didn't want any more potatoes because "starches" "make one heavy". So saying this is all new knowledge gives me pause, too.

And I also still say, getting back to the OP, that it was ridiculous to spend money on a study when similar studies, and probably thousands of anecdotes, have already told us that people do discriminate, outwardly or subconsciously, against the overweight.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:16

BF:

Quote:
The reply to my post simply illustrates that the point Wifezilla, Susan and I were trying to make is true: the person doing the finger pointing and the ranting is ignorant at best and prejudiced at worst.

It's neither. Do you not get yet that I'm going through the same things as most people here? I'm just taking personal responsibility for getting there. Why not address what I've actually been saying? That's my question. Is it easier just to get angry and put words in another's mouth?

Quote:
I'm certain there are obese people in the world who don't give a damn, are lazy and eat crap. I'm equally certain there are thin people in the world who don't give a damn, are lazy and eat crap.

Again, I specifically said overweight people do care and do try different things. Are you by any chance addressing someone else's post? Because I don't recognize mine in the rejoinders you believe you're making. As for the whole laziness thing, someone else brought up the point of people today not being lazy--I was initially responding to that, and in various aspects of society, not just eating. But since you're obviously just skimming for the "bad" parts you can get angry at rather than really reading, you may have overlooked all those (many) descriptions. So I'll give you a pass on that.

Quote:
I do have to say, though, that accusing Wifezilla of dodging personal responsibility for herself is one of the most *amusing* things I've read in a long time.

Can I refer you to my post where I specifically said the "you" was generic and NOT aimed at Wifezilla and that I had no idea whether she did or didn't do what I described? And did I not specifically ask her questions (most of which she didn't answer) about her personal experience?

LessLiz, did you actually read any of my posts? Or is it more comfortable just to freak out and make a person out to be the bad guy based on things she didn't even actually say? If that's your comfort level, that's fine, but it's not reality and I wanted to point that fact out. Just as I can't make assumptions about you personally (and don't believe I did, actually, anywhere on this thread), you are unqualified to make these assumptions about what I "meant" based on what I said (and even, it seems, based on what I never said).
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:21
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glendora

After my third son was born, I tried Atkins (had loosely tried it several years earlier), went off it...tried intuitive eating, pigged out...tried calorie restriction, felt faint (probably psychological...I wasn't severely restricting)...futzed around for a full two years, and am now back on CAD again and am having success.

So that's why I'm fat right now.

What if you don't reach your weight goal? Would you consider yourself weak-willed?

I also gained weight during my pregnancies but I never had the luxury of pigging out because I was on a calorie-controlled diet at all times. I gained because I became insulin-resistant, which is the real driver of weight gain. I know that is the case because I injected 3 times as much insulin as I did when not pregnant.

You can't assume why people gain and why they don't lose. What we know about the human body is tiny compared to what we don't know.
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandbaby1
I had something more nasty against what Glendora wrote but I have decided to be kind to everyone doesnt matter how misgided and arrogant they are.

Let me tell you about the people of Solomon island. When they need to clear trees for cultivation or just habitation they follow this ritual. A group of people surround the tree and start scolding and bad naming it. They do it everyday until the tree actually becomes dry and die.

You can say enough things to hurt someone to make their life worthless. Kindness is a virtue whether in treating someone else or just your internal talk. Life is too short for guilt.

But that wasn't my intent at all--to make anyone feel worthless. If you read what I wrote, I said I felt that taking personal responsibility does the opposite. It empowers us. There's another thing to make something die. It's to sit back and allow it to die. It's to allow it to think it has no power over its own life or health, that others call the shots and therefore, nothing can be done.

And a funny thing happens when you tell someone else (or tell yourself) that nothing can be done...that person just doesn't try any more.

My original argument was against people saying that other people "made" them fat by "telling" them what to do--despite the fact that even the diets these people have described weren't along the Food Pyramid or whatever other diet was described. I pointed out from the first that the reason I understood this was that I had done it too. It's a little overblown for you to write off my every word as just trying to "make someone feel bad". And that assertion itself shows ignorance. I was not at all ignorant in my post. I pointed out things that we all actually do, or have done, and how sick it has made us as a nation. And we are.

If you feel that's badmouthing or putting people down, I can't change that. Nor can I change my own belief that if you empower yourself, you will feel better--and that the withering and dying will surely begin once you start laying the blame on others and saying you just can't help your own life or self.