Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 18:23

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 263/218/165 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Salmon Patty Suggestion

Hi, I know I am responding to an old post, but I didn't see this mentioned in any of the responses and it might be helpful to some. I buy plain pork skins and crush them to use in place of flour or cornmeal in the salmon patties. It helps them stick together better.

Mary
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 14:55

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

My two cents on an old post.

My Father, several years ago, died from complications due to diabetes. Let me state, he never took care of himself and one thing led to another. By the time he had his first stroke, they discovered he had an A1c of 11% and needed insulin. When my Mother tells me the food the hospital gave him, I'm utterly speachless. His meals were filled with refined carbs. He ultimately had another stroke and cardiac arrest which wasn't helped by a lovely staph infection.

Fast forward two years - and I now am in the early stages of diabetes (T2) A1c 6.5%. I never really understood the nature of the disease. I'm proactive and educated myself and I know I am only a drop in the bucket when it comes to my viewpoint but, I am FLOORED at the diet given to diabetics, by the very organization there to help us. I agree that most are well intentioned and this is not to bash the people out there working hard to help the ill. However, I believe there is enough evidence out there to convince these organizations that a high carb diet is wrong, on so many levels, for not only diabetics but every living soul.

The booklet I received with my glucose meter (which I needed to ask my GP for because he wasn't giving me one otherwise) gives the following suggestion for a meal: a small bag of potato chips, a lean meat sandwich, iced tea with Splenda (we will not bow to our sponsors ) and for a snack a frosted cupcake.....A FROSTED CUPCAKE! I'm not saying that every once in awhile one can't splurge a little but, suggesting this in a booklet designed for a diabetic to get their blood sugar down My high blood sugar hasn't taken away my commen sense! I'm outraged over this type of thing.

When is the truth going to get out. Fat is not the enemy and is crucial for health. Perhaps small amounts of high fiber whole grains are okay - I'm sure it varies from person to person but, these refined carbs are killing us and not slowly but, rather with one swift kick in the ~rse.

~Danielle

P.S. Not shockingly, a low carb diet has gotten my blood sugars back to normal in two weeks time. It takes dedication and it's not short term but, it works - simple as that.

Last edited by CantEven : Wed, Jul-23-08 at 16:30. Reason: Correcting my horrid grammar
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 15:23
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hi Danielle

Yeah, I can remember my first meeting with the "nutritionist - diabetes educator" after my diagnosis. One of the ADA handouts she gave me with meal examples had a bag of m&m's on the list of lunches.
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 15:30
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

I'm glad I got Dx'ed in 1978. No candy, no sugar. But even then, they recommended fruit juices. I quickly realized I had to take a lot of insulin to cover any juice and abandoned that. I stopped listening to them a long time ago. The only way I'm going to a hospital is unconscious and on a stretcher.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 14:02
Registered Member

Plan: do not now yet
Stats: 270/270/135 Female 5.1
BF:
Progress:
Default Sounds great

Most of the items everyone listed sounds really good. But since I haven't started the diet, nor my husband, I have to be very careful what I read to my husband from this site. Just to sound of some of the foods are turning him off, like tofu . . . even before we get the books we ordered.

Oh, thanks lowcarb for telling me about this site.
Betty
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-08, 15:22
Dazed and Confused

BF:

You're welcome, Betty. Please keep in mind that tofu is not required. Some people just like tofu and eat it because they like it. The Bernstein diet isn't very different from Atkins. The big thing is no fruit or grains in the later stages - in other words, no OWL. Most people are eventually able to add some of those foods back into their diets.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:21

Plan: Test-Test-Test w/insulin
Stats: 170/145/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:approx 31%
Progress: 100%

Tofu.

YUK!!!! I avoid all soy foods.

Here's an example of the foods we've eaten this week:

Steak, marinated chicken kabobs with tandoori marinade, marinated round steak with ginger lime, baked cod with mushrooms, butter and wine, hamburger with homemade low carb barbecue sauce, cheese omelettes, along with broccoli, asparagus, locally grown green beans, green and orange peppers (I can handle the carbs in these) romaine lettuce, mesclun greens, locally grown green and yellow squash in butter.

For dessert: Locally grown blueberries, raspberries picked in my garden, strawberries with whipped cream.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottadata
Tofu.

YUK!!!! I avoid all soy foods.

Here's an example of the foods we've eaten this week:

Steak, marinated chicken kabobs with tandoori marinade, marinated round steak with ginger lime, baked cod with mushrooms, butter and wine, hamburger with homemade low carb barbecue sauce, cheese omelettes, along with broccoli, asparagus, locally grown green beans, green and orange peppers (I can handle the carbs in these) romaine lettuce, mesclun greens, locally grown green and yellow squash in butter.

For dessert: Locally grown blueberries, raspberries picked in my garden, strawberries with whipped cream.

I try and avoid soy foods as well but, I do use the occasional fermented soy products like soy sauce. However, I am allergic to casein and milk seems to give me problems. Once in awhile I make a protein shake using soy milk. I wasn't thrilled with the results of cream in my shakes. Do you use any dairy and what do you eat for breakfast?

Other than the dairy/eggs/occasional soy I eat the same as you have listed above.

Thanks,
~Danielle
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 13:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I have a little tofu every now and then. On the order of once every few months really. I just try to avoid eating that stuff all the time. It is really good fried then served with Thai peanut (satay) sauce. Nummers.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 14:30
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Nancy, where in Whole Foods did you find those kelp noodles? I checked every bin and it is driving me nuts!
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 16:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
Nancy, where in Whole Foods did you find those kelp noodles? I checked every bin and it is driving me nuts!

Oh! They're in the refrigerator section, kind of near the deli refrigerator stuff, right next to the shirataki. They're packaged like shirataki too, in water filled plastic and kept refrigerated. Maybe call before you go back and make sure they have them? I bet they can order them if they don't.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 19:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Oh! They're in the refrigerator section, kind of near the deli refrigerator stuff, right next to the shirataki. They're packaged like shirataki too, in water filled plastic and kept refrigerated. Maybe call before you go back and make sure they have them? I bet they can order them if they don't.

Holy Cannoli - I'm going to Whole Foods for some kelp noodles!

Thanks,
~Danielle
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 19:14
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Thanks, Nancy. I'll skip the bins next time and not buy $25 worth of nuts.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-08, 19:19

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Meat,cheese,green veggies,eggs,berries,wholewheat bread,
small amounts of brown rice,small amounts of brown pasta
Cheers from HHH
Eddie
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 08:43

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Why is everyone hating on tofu? I eat *lots* of organic tofu- in soups especially. I also press the water out of it and pan fry it with sesame oil, sesame seeds and soy sauce.
Speaking of soups- I want to eat more of them! Anyone have any favorites?
V