Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 13:48
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
This so-called study, which is being reported by the British press as real news, was actually sponsored by PepsiCo to make HFCS look better because it is a blend of fructose and sucrose.

Quote:
A spokeswoman for drinks giant PepsiCo, which sponsored Dr Havel's research, said: "This is a very interesting and important study. But it does not reflect a real-world situation nor is it applicable to PepsiCo since pure fructose is not an ingredient in any of our food and beverage products."

http://www.bignewsday.com/story.asp...elling_obesity?

Exactly Susan!!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 15:30

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Of course people and children will overeat fruit...I mean, we are told...well, it is forced down our throats that fruit is good for you, eat your fruit and veggies. How many times has everyone heard that?

If you gave me a buffet of fruit I would probably eat until I was sick...and then maybe 15 minutes later I would go crazy and want more sugar, but not from fruit hahaha.

I like fruit, but in moderation. Sugar is sugar to me.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-08, 17:16

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Fruit is a big no-no for me.
If I ever want to encourage a binge, I just need to eat fruit.
I consider myself a recovered fruit-a-holic... seriously.
Fructose is a bad dude.

I read a study recently where those consuming higher fructose (from fruit juice/HF-corn-syrup) had a higher risk of pancreatic cancer than those consuming soda (sucrose)!
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 20:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I really love fruit. When I was on Atkins, I hated not being able to eat it. I always thought the juice was worse then the actual fruit. So I ate a lot of berries...not my favorite ( I love citris) Anyway I don't think the berries slowed down my weight loss.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-08, 20:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302/242/180 Female 5'7" (170 cm)
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelratz
I always thought the juice was worse then the actual fruit.
Well, you're absolutely right.

Since it is liquid, you can consume it faster, there's not much pulp/meat/fiber in it and a glass of orange juice can be like eating several oranges at once. So, your insulin spikes really quickly.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 01:02

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

my son can mack fruit, he loves it. four or five bananas, 1/2 a box of costco clemantines, 3/4 of a fresh pineapple, his favorite. he's seven years old. i don't worry about it too much as he is not real big in the veggie department right now
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 03:55
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Well, when my son was seven I didn't worry either. Mine would eat veggies, but I figured fruit was healthy. And I'm not saying there's anything wrong with fruit, except that each banana (for instance) has about the same amount of sugar as a bag of M&Ms.

Now I'm fighting my son's sugar cravings, trying to help him learn more reasonable levels of fruit.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 06:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 195/185/140 Female 5'3"
BF:Well-marbled
Progress: 18%

Talk about a twisted line of thinking:
Fructose may cause obesity... fruit contains fructose as do most manufactured sweet foods on the planet... ergo, FRUIT is the problem?

Someone needs a crash course in logic.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 06:58
Registered Member

BF:

Fruit is part of the problem if over eaten, as it seems enough people do, under the misguided apprehension that it's benefits outweigh the sugar content.

As for logic, reductio ad absurdum is a trick, not a tool.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 11:49

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

i didn't mean to imply that my son eats fruit like that all the time, he doesn't. he doesn't even get in a significant amount of fuit or veg on a daily basis right now. i think it's his age, and commentary from peers. he'll eat squash, cauliflower, green beans, clementimes, pineapple, and bananas until it's coming out his ears, but we only have any of the fruit for maybe a week and a half after our monthly costco trip and that is when he's doing the macking. other than that, it's veggies, veggies, veggies. he's a pretty good eater for the most part with fairly wide tastes for his age, lucky for me
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 11:57
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

Some kids won't overeat anything - not even candy or cookies. I think people need to do whatever works for them and their families.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 14:04

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
I can't find any evidence that most kids overeat fruit, and I searched for it. We must live in different universes because neither my kids nor their friends stuffed themselves with apples and oranges. Maybe overeating of fruit points to a genetic predisposition to metabolic syndrome?

I'm someone who always overate fruit. We'd go to a pick-your own farm for apples, pears and plums - I couldn't walk when I'd leave. I'd be the same at my grandmother's smallholding, just eating things off the bush or out of the ground (peas were also another binge plant). Even now, I have to avoid fruit, particularly dried fruit.

My non-LC husband is much bigger than me, but eats what would be considered a low cal low fat "healthy" diet (I will convert him eventually). But he can eat a bag of oranges in a sitting and frequently does. His father is the same (and both are type 2 diabetic)

I'm going to steer clear of fruit until I'm at or near goal, but then I only lose at all if I keep below 30g carbs a day anyway.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 14:11
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

All I can say I that I believe that some people overeat fruit, but not that most people overeat fruit. This forum has an extraordinarily high percentage of people with metabolic syndrome who would likely overeat fruit.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 14:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

It's kind of hard IME to overeat on whole fruit- you have to bite and chew it, the fiber fills you up, and by the time you've finished all that biting and chewing your body has had time to realize that you're getting full.

Now, if you're drinking fruit JUICE in place of water, it's incredibly easy to take in too many calories, not enough nutrition, and not get full (which makes you take in even more calories.) I'd beleive you if you said that kids drinking juice instead of water get fat. I don't beleive that overeating fresh whole fruits will lead to obesity.

This study only studied fructose- most likely in the refined state to make it easier to measure and compare to the glucose in the control group. They weren't studying people eating whole fruits and how it affected dietary choices the rest of the day. They were simply comparing fructose to glucose, with carb and sugar levels remaining constant, and concluded that fructose is more harmful.

The researchers were talking about refined fructose, while the journalist made the leap to "fruit makes you fat".
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 14:40
Registered Member

BF:

Perhaps people who had the chance to overeat fruit caused their "Metabolic syndrome" with the excess sugars?

I see that it is important to you that we know some people didn't or wouldn't overeat fruit. No-one has disagreed with that. But just because some few people are on one end of a spectrum, doesn't mean that the rest of the curve is defective.

I believe it's more likely that there's something wrong with a child who doesn't over eat some fruit at some point in their life. If a high sugar food doesn't promote the craving response so typical of humans and other omnivores and fruit eating animals, then maybe something is broken.