Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-08, 20:23

Plan: The Drinking Man's Diet
Stats: 294/264.2/120 Female 63 inches
BF:48%
Progress: 17%
Default "Diabetic Cooking" book. *headdesk*

Today I was in the grocery checkout line and there was a little booklet called "Diabetic Cooking". I didn't pick it up, but on the cover was depicted a slice of bread, a strawberry, and some kind of spreadable substance.

I just wanted to throw something.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 08:03

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Yeah, I've seen those too. Or my favourites...the ones with the big piece of chocolate cake or muffins!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 08:21

Plan: south beach
Stats: 225/170/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

strawberries: 1/2 cup=5 g net carbs
bread: low carb bread?
spread: who knows?
Eddie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 08:31
Dazed and Confused

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/132/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 109%

The ADA has always included bread in its dietary recommendations. I've spoken at great length to 3 people I know with type 2 diabetes about the benefits of low carbing, including heath and weight. And you know how many of them tried it? Zero. I think an LC lifestyle for diabetics would work only if the ADA was ruled by the Taliban. Most people are very resistant to the idea. People here are highly motivated and most people are not. So what can you do? You try to get them to control their BG levels eating the things they are going to eat anyway. Most diabetics do not follow any type of recommendations except they start drinking diet coke instead of regular.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 08:40
Registered Member

Plan: Berstein's
Stats: 220/189/155 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbUgh
...I think an LC lifestyle for diabetics would work only if the ADA was ruled by the Taliban...
Finally !! For the first time, the ADA recommendations make sense to me. Thanks, Susan, I think you are on to something.

/smile
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 09:25
Dazed and Confused

BF:

I don't think the ADA can influence people much in any aspect of their care. Most people listen to their doctors for about 24 hours. The biggest influence on our lives is our peer groups and families. We are genetically programmed to emulate them.

Most of the people adopt LC eating because they want to lose weight, pure and simple. They want to look good to conform to society's standard of beauty and health. This WOE is not going to be widely adopted until society as a whole starts moving in that direction. For a lot of people, it is a lot easier to take a pill than be different from everyone else.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 09:35
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I don't think the ADA can influence people much in any aspect of their care. Most people listen to their doctors for about 24 hours. The biggest influence on our lives is our peer groups and families. We are genetically programmed to emulate them.

Most of the people adopt LC eating because they want to lose weight, pure and simple. They want to look good to conform to society's standard of beauty and health. This WOE is not going to be widely adopted until society as a whole starts moving in that direction. For a lot of people, it is a lot easier to take a pill than be different from everyone else.
You are probably right but seems to me the ADA and AHA diets could very well be a part of terrosim manifesting itself in subtle ways to destroy the Great Satan.

/smile

P.S. and yes this is a joke friends..., I think
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 09:44
Dazed and Confused

BF:

The current ADA diet is just over the top in carbs. I started on the one from the 1970s and it was reasonable at that time. I had lots of fat and meat exchanges and used only 1 starch exchange per meal. When I was put on MDI in the early 80s, my doctor advocated 2% milk for hypos instead of juice. Sugar was not allowed at all. I was very motivated and really tried to stick with it. I don't think a lot of people are, I'm sorry to say.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 09:59
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
...I was very motivated and really tried to stick with it. I don't think a lot of people are, I'm sorry to say.
Before I found LC, I was about ready to give up; it was my "last option" at the time. In discussion with most people re: LC, they look at you in abject horror when you try to tell them that an apple a day isn't something I can eat. I, and I think many people are brought up with the constant reminder of the healthful aspects of fruit and are considerably "propagandized" into thinking that eating fats clogs arteries and causes one to gain weight (due to the caloric punch). In other words, these things make sense to most people, and most people learned them at a young age.

LC is to many, counterintuitive and is not programmed into us. The fact that it works wonderfully for CVD indicators and weight loss and diabetics in general is often lost on most people because they already know the answer... (the old adage - don't bother me with the facts, I already have my mind made up). Hitler once said - give me a child until he is 9 (or maybe it was 12) and there will be a bit of him that is a Nazi for the rest of his life. I think that LC is up against similar hurdles in that the opposite is so ingrained in many of us.

Just my 2 cents YMMV,
/smile
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 10:06
Dazed and Confused

BF:

What were your experiences on the current ADA diet?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 10:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
What were your experiences on the current ADA diet?
I primarily followed the AHA diet - low fat, etc as I thought my biggest problem was my heart... as I continued to gain weight --> insulin resistance became more of a problem... as my BG's maintained around 300 for the most part... I became more depressed and always tired (thinking it was the heart issue). I was only on oral meds for the diabetes (my internist is a real "cracker-jack")... it was my cardiologist that first mentioned IR to me... and my need to control BG's much better. Neither doctor really mentioned a way other than insulin. No one said "cut your carbs"

For some reason... fate, coincidence, god?... there was a copy of Atkins Diabetes Revolution around the house. I picked it up and read it cover to cover and began a self imposed "induction phase" (Feb 15) - 20 g CHO/d. My BG's went down 150 units (to about 150) by the fifth day... two days later I went to my internist and asked for different meds to get my BG's lower - he looked at my early Feb A1C (>10%) and put me on Lantus.

I think that since I so crashed my BG's from 300 to around 100 in about two weeks (even experiencing hypos on the glipizide), my vision was blurry for another few weeks and I was concerned I was losing it. I read somewhere that it would probably clear up and it did over the coming weeks.

The really incredible thing - and the reason I am ADDICTED to LC - is that the black cloud of depression just left and I also had a sense of renewed energy. So it was Atkins that led me to this forum (end of February 2008) and it was this forum that led me to Bernstein's book and it was Berstein that led me to the importance of normalization... and that I didn't have to stick the damn needle in my thigh...

/smile
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 11:11

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I think that it's very true that most diabetics aren't motivated to change. The pill route just seems easy and convienient to them. My doctor is constantly amazed by my motivation to achieve better BG and stay away from medications. However, he is the first to say that I"m probably in the 1% category of his patients who are. He always tells me that he wishes more patients were like me!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 11:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Too bad the pill route doesn't actually work.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 11:47
Dazed and Confused

BF:

Char, you're right. Very few people are as motivated as this group. My theory is that the ADA is well aware of the benefits of low carbing, but they are afraid of non-compliance. If the endos get the new patients controlled with LC, and then patients lose motivation and start eating whatever they want, they would be worse off then trying to control them eating the SAD with enough meds to somewhat control it. I'm not sure how it would play out, but I have little faith in people staying motivated. I hear the same story from my doctors that i'm in the 99.99th percentile of BG control.

Man, Korban, you need to lose that internist. Just running 300 sugars can make you depressed, not to mention sap your energy and ruin your entire quality of life. Why don't doctors consider your quality of life?

I'm in lucky in a sense that high BGs make my stomach hurt and are so unpleasant I will do anything to avoid them. I'm not going to suffer very high BGs for more than a couple of hours because I will bolus them down immediately.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-08, 12:07
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
...Man, Korban, you need to lose that internist.
I like him because he is very prompt with almost no wait time. I don't do well in waiting rooms for any length of time...heh...

I have an appt with an endo in July. It will have only taken me 4 and 1/2 months to get to see him. He is the only one in town but I have heard very good things about him. I have been twice to his CDE and she is pretty decent at what she does. After talking with me for a couple hours the first time - she let me skip out on the "required course" that all diabetics have to take before they can see Dr. L. (the endo)... plus my BG's were a lot better than hers I think... she is a T1 pumper... and the one who said - Don't you ever just want to have a grilled cheese sandwich?

/smile