Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 07:50

Plan: Atkins - Modified
Stats: 215/174.6/150 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Beef Burgundy for Two

Note 1: This is the first time I've posted a recipe, so please be gentle :-)

Note 2: The recipe is more of a "Steaks in Burgundy Sauce". It takes time to cook because it is a braise, but prep time isn't bad at all and it is a single frying pan entre :-) And, it can be prepared in advance.

I've concocted various versions of this for years, but this is my favorite approach. There is no right or wrong way to make this and there are a zillion recipes out there. Here is mine, with an eye to keeping the carb counts down. My recipe is *inspired* by Julia Child, so I will credit her; my recipe has evolved into different something significantly different than hers so there are no copyright issues.

Here goes:

2 steaks (I like rib-eyes for their richness)
2-4 strips of bacon
1/4 cup of olive oil *OR* equivalent fat from fried bacon
1 TBL minced garlic
2 carrots peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
2 shallots *OR* 2 stalks green onions chopped
1 TBL flour
1 TBL tomato paste
3/4 cup beef broth (do not use bullion or dish will become too salty)
1 to 1 and 1/4 cup dry red wine
pinch of pepper
5 or 6 sprigs of fresh thyme OR 1 tsp dry thyme

Steamed broccoli as a side dish

Preheat oven to 450

In large oven-safe frying pan, fry bacon and set aside keeping fat in pan. Add olive oil to bacon fat (or if you cooked a bunch of bacon for breakfast, use the fat from that). In fat/oil brown garlic, carrots, and shallots. Set aside mixture with bacon. In remaining fat/oil, brown steaks on both sides; set aside steaks. Clean frying pan.

Using the same frying pan, place into it cooked bacon, garlic/carrot/onion mixture, and steaks. Dust with flower and place in oven (uncovered) for 12 minutes. Mixture should be sizzling. Remove pan from oven.

Turn down oven to 300

Add tomato paste, beef broth, wine, pepper, and thyme to the ingredients in the fying pan. Place in oven, covered, and let simmer slowly for 2 hours, adjusting oven temperature as needed.

Remove from oven. Fish out bacon strips (eat or discard them) and thyme stalks (if you used fresh thyme). Skim fat if needed. If you're cooking this dish ahead of time, go ahead and refrigerate at this point.

Remove everything from frying-pan except the liquid. Rapidly boil down liquid until it is reduced to a medium-thin gravy (cook's discretion here). Adjust seasoning as required. Place everything back in frying-pan and reheat slowly as needed.

Serve with steamed broccoli on the side.

Guilt free Burgundian style cuisine :-)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 09:45
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Sounds great!