Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 17:13

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

surfnmom, you've already gotten so many great responses, so I just wanted to say that I know exactly how you feel.

And I find that the less often I eat, the less hungry I am. It's so...ironic. And weird. But really not, since there's a science behind it. It's just that it feels like it's weird...eating less often because you're hungry. But the science seems really solid and I find it works great for me. And it's always been that way. Looking back, the times that I weighed the least were the times that I ate the least often.

I'm still eating from 12PM-5:30PM. Two meals. It feels really great.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 18:39
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm back to my IF-lite ways.

I've had a flare-up in my autoimmune arthritis and I can't really blame it on gluten this time, or dairy, since I don't eat either. I'm being very good on Paleo, not perfect but my food is almost all whole, made from scratch. But my neck and upper back and shoulders are killing me! It happens in the night, they get all stiff and sore, no idea why.

So I thought I'd give IF a whirl and see if it helps calm the autoimmune system down. I was doing so well I went off my meds (sulfasalazine) a year ago and had been zipping along swimmingly ever since.

It also occurred to me that I've been drinking a LOT of iced tea and I probably started doing that around the time the pain started. So I'm cutting that out and we'll see if that helps at all.

So for 2 days now I've fasted until noon. Yesterday I ate too much, but today my appetite is more regulated.

I also have been off the tea for about 24 hours now and... *knock wood* I feel like my symptoms are decreasing a bit.

How weird! Anyone else find that tea makes them hurt?
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 19:20

Plan: Atkins/Paleo/IF/IB(72/12)
Stats: 270/217.4/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

I've had a flare-up in my autoimmune arthritis and I can't really blame it on gluten this time, or dairy, since I don't eat either. I'm being very good on Paleo, not perfect but my food is almost all whole, made from scratch. But my neck and upper back and shoulders are killing me! It happens in the night, they get all stiff and sore, no idea why.

So I thought I'd give IF a whirl and see if it helps calm the autoimmune system down. I was doing so well I went off my meds (sulfasalazine) a year ago and had been zipping along swimmingly ever since.

It also occurred to me that I've been drinking a LOT of iced tea and I probably started doing that around the time the pain started. So I'm cutting that out and we'll see if that helps at all.

So for 2 days now I've fasted until noon. Yesterday I ate too much, but today my appetite is more regulated.

I also have been off the tea for about 24 hours now and... *knock wood* I feel like my symptoms are decreasing a bit.

I think combining IF and low carbs is all that is necessary to knock out autoimmune reaction. And maybe B-vits... at least this is my experience.

Put it another way... I can induce these symptoms by eating anything I want, all the time... for a few weeks.

But those experiments are years back... no "arthritis" here... at age 65.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivorous, IF
Stats: 375/268.8/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I am playing with fasting at this time. I've been very overweight for a long time and my knees and related joints were always hurting. I've fasted 2 days so far and I have absolutely NO pain right now. It's amazing how any inflammation is knocked out by fasting.
  #65   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF (F-5)
Stats: 182/172/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%

MIz Kitty, you are one of my great heroes here, too. Sticking it out for 19 months until reaching goal--what a fabulous accomplishment for all of us to keep in mind when we feel we are not making progress fast enough

Oh YOU and your adorable blue bike!! Love that Avatar!

Isnt it amazing how well fasting works for so many of us? And how little effort is involved once we get into it and make it through those first few days or weeks. I remember the first time I found some posts about this at another site. It really seemed impossible at the time (about 15 months ago) to imagine that I could try it and be successful--never thought I could go 18-19 hours without eating. But several people at that board were having great luck (some were even combining IF with LC) and so I decided to try it. (I lost 12 pounds in about 8 weeks--then on a long trip, went off the reservation and gained it back) At this point, after returning to LC and 19 hr fast, I am down to within 3 pounds of my weight a year ago.)

But the odd thing is that although I am just bouncing back and forth from 172-171-172 and back again, I am continuing to lose inches. And losing lots of them according to a blouse I put on this AM which I have not been able to button at this weight before. So fasting must be "re-arranging my fat."

And I feel wonderfully energetic and cheerful (no nasty insulin spikes or BG drops) . Was supposed to end my fast today at 2, but got busy and gone on errands and waited and ate a full, normal LC "dinner" meal at 5:00 with DH and even then was not hungry--didnt care if I ate or not. About the only disadvantage to this WOE: I get full very quickly these days so have a hard time getting all my water in.

I still have to add a regular exercise component to my life, but put in 20 minutes yesterday morning and will do more tomorrow (cant do it at night, it "zings" me up too much.)

I recently finished reading the series of posts from all of you who participated in the multi-day fasts last winter and was fascinated by your results and your observations. This is a wonderfully inspiring series of threads dedicated to IF and is a very effective way to learn about fasting successfully and how to stick with it.

I'd like to recommend to all the new readers/joiners here who want to do IF to take a few minutes--if possible--each time you come to ALCF (and this thread) to go back to past threads in the IF series and read a few pages from them each day. They are both educational and inspiring and well worth taking the time to read

Thanks everyone for your generosity in sharing! During my times as a Lurker here , I have come to feel like you are dear delightful, very special, friends.
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 11:01
Registered Member

BF:

OK, I was down six tenths of a pound this morning. And according to my fitted blue "Try-On Blouse" am continuing to shrink a bit every day in the midriff despite the fact that that "six tenths" is the same one I have now lost about 5 times.

I am so close to getting into the one-sixties--I am going to be VERY careful and very good and see if I can dump another pound or two in the next week.

If is is certainly working to get rid of fat even if the God of The Scale does not smile on me very often.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 12:50
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivorous, IF
Stats: 375/268.8/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi there Sallyannie, nice to see a fellow Georgian on the board

I've just started IF'ing but I'm doing more of RDharpers routine. I'm fasting 3-6 days and eating only 1 or 2 days. I plan to keep it Intermittent, sometimes 3 days, other times 2, other times 1 day etc.

Anyone out there fasted over 3 days have any advise for eating after that longer period? I am scheduled to eat tomorrow after 4 days of fasting.
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 14:05
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCer
Hi there Sallyannie, nice to see a fellow Georgian on the board

I've just started IF'ing but I'm doing more of RDharpers routine. I'm fasting 3-6 days and eating only 1 or 2 days. I plan to keep it Intermittent, sometimes 3 days, other times 2, other times 1 day etc.

Anyone out there fasted over 3 days have any advise for eating after that longer period? I am scheduled to eat tomorrow after 4 days of fasting.

hey, there, yourself, LCer, yes it is sure nice to see we Georgians know a good thing when we see one!

If you go back into the IF thread just before this one (wow are they ever long!) and go into the early pages of that thread, you will find a whole series of posts from people who went for multi-day fasting like early in Jan of 08 . The provided a lot of details about how they did it and then their results afterward. It makes for very interesting reading and may provide you with some useful information about their varied approaches to the kinds of fasts you are interested in learning more about.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 03:05

Plan: Low carb/low fat
Stats: 234/209/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:43%
Progress: 30%

Hi I would like to join this forum. I'm thinking of eating at 4:30 a.m, then at 8:45 a.m and my last meal being at 11:00 a.m (mon-fri).

The reason for this is because I start my job at 6:00 a.m. and it's a very physical job where I have to eat or else pass out. lol So my last meal would be at lunch and since I'm not really active after work (except doing my workout or walking) I could go until 4ish the next morning. That would be about 17 hours of fasting.

My question is, would it still be low carb or what plan should I use now?

Oh and on the weekends I could do one meal a day. I once went on a one meal a day diet and lost 20 lbs. in a month. I can't eat like that during the week.

I am open to any suggestions out there.
thanks and have a gr8 day.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 06:19

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

For me, a high-fat, low-carb meal can sustain me for the longest period of time. However, it takes a few days of eating that way to really provide full energy.
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 07:22

Plan: what ever
Stats: 198/177/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%

Honeyrose I work midnights, and have a very physical job also. was trying Ifing a week ago with success till I blew it (now back on) I had no problum doing the 23/1 fast plus I had a lot more energy at work. all the people on this thread will give you great support as they helped me get through a rough time, (many thanks to all) I am still working out wht works best for me, but I know I well get there

Last edited by surfnmom : Wed, Jul-23-08 at 09:37.
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 10:28

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC

Nancy, when I started low carbing, I was surprised that my joint pain lessened considerably. I regained almost all the weight that I lose plus 3 lbs but the joint pain remained minnimal. But when I included IF, my pain has nearly vanished. There are times when I turn the wrong way and I will have a flare up but that's it.Personally from my experience, I believe that your joint pain will eleviate considerable with IF. I am not a tea totaller so I can't share worthy info there. Good luck girl.
  #73   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 10:38

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:

My idea for my first meal today. I have been considering doing something that I read on the Weston Price site.I read where Native Americans used berries such as blueberries to season meat. So what I am thinking is frying chicken thigs stuffed with feta and blueberries.I think that I will add sliced avocado and some collard greens. I am so looking forward to my first meal. Now what to eat for dinner.
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 10:43

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default New to this section!

Hello all!

I'm new to this section of the boards. I saw a debate in the War Zone and this IF thing has piqued my interest.

A few questions:

I've probably been a IFer for a long time inadvertantly as I'm always skipping meals. That actually might be way I've never really gone above 160 with my weight. Does this make me a good candidate for trying this way of eating?

Looking at all the options there's so many way to do it... 12 on/12 off seems like a way that might work for me because I'd like to have the variety of breakfast some days and supper other days. Does anyone do it this way?

How about the skipping days, who does that and how do you find it works?

Eating this way do you find that you're able to indulge occassionally in foods that aren't eating in the LC life? Like if I want that beautiful peice of pizza I can put it in the fridge and eat it at my next non-fast. (does that even make sense?? I ramble sometimes)

Do you find it increases weightloss?

Hmmm.. I'm sure I'll have more questions as this day goes on.
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-08, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: IF Ketogenic
Stats: 265/218/165 Female 67 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 47%

There are so many ways to IF.

Everywhere from 23/1 to 12/12 to alternate day 24/24 to 24/48. The permutations are endless (well maybe not endless).

I have found that my weight loss is best when i alternate styles every 4 weeks or so. I work around a 16/8 (non workout day) and 18/6 (workout day). I maintain beautifully on this without even having to think about what I eat (within LC of course). However after a few weeks I need to change things up and I will switch to some other fasting cycle or cycle my calories within my current cycle.

Some people are lucky in that they can follow the same plan and be fine forever.

I think each person has to experiment with what cycle works best for them.
Closed Thread