Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 18:53

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hmmm hibernation sounds so good to me right now, except for the fact when an animal comes out of hibernation, she wakes up with babies.WTF!!!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 18:54
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
Are you serious???!!!! Has anyone done enough research to come up with the actual process for this? It goes totally against logic - how can it happen?!

Glenda
Totally serious, and lots of research has been done on it. A lot of it is online. The one guy's name is Mrosovsky, but there are lots.

One way it is done is that the body temperature drops even further, while protein from muscle is scavanged and turned into fat. This is why low fat joggers end up with a heart too diminished to keep them running.

When you show this to some folks they insist it is a trick or something. But the chemistry is solid.
  #63   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 18:55

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Glendarc, yes, she is serious. To me it was the most compelling bit of research reported in Good Calories, Bad Calories. They regained all the surgically removed fat without any calories added to their diet.

It has made me wonder, after having complete thyroid panels, adrenal gland response tests, tests for food intolerances, etc. if whatever is going on in that situation has anything to do with why it is so danged difficult for me to lose each pound.

Well ... now I know that, as soon as GCBC comes out in paperback (promised for the fall) I'm getting it and reading ... no, absorbing, it. I might buy a few extra copies to give to my doctor (for one) and a friend who is a retired university biochemistry prof. I'd especially like the opinion of the retired friend ... he's pretty open-minded and also recognizes that a lack of formal education doesn't equate to a lack of intelligence, or even to a lack of learning (that's a good attitude for me -- I was a bored drop-out many,MANY years ago!)

Glenda
  #64   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Hmmm hibernation sounds so good to me right now, except for the fact when an animal comes out of hibernation, she wakes up with babies.WTF!!!
Oh, that's only if she goes swimming during her TOM in a pool that a guy had been swimming in, so most animals don't have to worry about that.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Whammie, we must be related through that hibernating ancestor.
  #66   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 19:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendarc
Are you serious???!!!! Has anyone done enough research to come up with the actual process for this? It goes totally against logic - how can it happen?!

Glenda

Ketosis. I haven't done any research on this subject yet, but that is my guess. Ketosis exists so that we can survive starvation. Regardless,an animal that hibernates certainly uses the stored fat from day to day so removing it for one day will not stop it from replenishsing stores. If an animal goes into hibernation, she/he definietly does not last on the same fat thingies day to day. They have to be replaced or the body would die. So if you were to remove fats from their bodies, which would have happened anyway, ketones or whatever will replenish the fat reserves.
  #67   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 19:05

BF:

Come to think of it, if scientists were to rmove all of the fat from my body and I ate nothing for 3 days, I would be 15 lbs heavier. I know it ain't even logical.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 19:37

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Note to self: No liposuction followed by hibernation.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 19:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/145/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

As mentioned before, it sounds like you never truly did atkins. You shouldn't be eating atkins bars, or drinking 8 shakes a day, or living on diet soda. You can't get rid of sugar cravings with all that stuff in your diet.

With that said, Atkins probably wasn't the diet for you, and I'm happy to hear you found a diet that you're more successful on. However, I wouldn't come to this forum, where people are successfully following Atkins exactly and insult the diet. To each his own. I have found that my body reacts the exact opposite of what you stated. I don't crave sugar and I have a ton of energy. I lost 75 lbs and only started gaining weight back when I tried a low fat/higher carb diet.
  #70   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Well, based on the above info I figure I better avoid hibernation, period. DH has been snipped and if I came out of hibernation with a litter he'd divorce me.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 20:33

Plan: Atkins/PP blend
Stats: 163.4/157/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 35%

Dead horse, anyone?

We're preachin' to the choir here! I'm low carb, and will be low carb forever. I'm delighted that Al* has found his path, but his decision isn't going to influence me in the least!
  #72   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 20:39

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Well, based on the above info I figure I better avoid hibernation, period. DH has been snipped and if I came out of hibernation with a litter he'd divorce me.

Good lordy, no - I don't wanna be birthin' no babies....
  #73   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 20:41

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

When we fail, we blame the tool. When we succeed, we blame ourselves.
  #74   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 20:44

Plan: Atkins/PP blend
Stats: 163.4/157/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Good lordy, no - I don't wanna be birthin' no babies....

I just used that phrase in another thread!

Scarlett O'Hara fans unite!
  #75   ^
Old Mon, May-19-08, 20:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/230/245 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 143%

[QUOTE=Baerdric]

In Atkins, if you don't lose weight, it's because no sane person can eat bacon three meals a day for week after week.

Ok I'm confused here, are you saying if ones insane they CAN eat bacon 3 times a day? Well then sign me up and pass the Prozac and the bacon ,
Bacon taste good, pork chops taste good, I bet pigs noses would taste good if you fried them in olive oil.