Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, May-26-08, 12:17
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

I did Atkins the first 7 months. Stayed under 20gm carbs/day but started missing my fruit.
I love protien and decided this could be a good plan for me.

It's been slow but it definatley got the scale moving again, but the clothes are getting even looser then the scale warrents.

I've also noticed I don't get the 'big-hunger, like I could eat a whole cow' days either.

I'm sticking around for sure.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 01:20

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

I also read "The Protein Power Life Lifeplan" and whilst I found it very informative, all the maths involved with calculating the protein put me off. I just tuned out when I saw that. I'm another "Barry Girl" (like Wifezilla), and I find that as far as the basic premises are concerned, PPLP and the principles in "Natural Health and Weight Loss" are pretty much the same. I aim for about 70g "gross" carbs a day and eat protein and fat at all meals. If I don't put enough fat with the meal, I get hungry again too quickly. In five months I've lost about 80% of the weight I was aiming to lose. If I go up to 100g, I don't lose, if I go over 100g, I gain. With this knowledge (from daily weighing and noting this info in my food diary), I know how to lose weight and maintain.

What I didn't like about PPLP is that it scared the pants off me!!! I began to think "OMG, must dash off to the doctor's and have all sorts of levels checked! OMG, I live in Germany, how can I get all these supplements?!!!"

In the meantime I've also read "Nourishing Traditions" (I like reading books on nutrition...) by Sally Fallon, which has put my mind to rest to a great degree as, according to her knowledge, you can get most of the stuff you need from food if you eat the right kind of stuff.

But even she recommends blackcurrant oil for GLA...

Have fun with PPLP - I don't think you can really go wrong there. I'm not a fan of Atkins - too much soy and processed products and too restrictive. But the basic low-carb principles are, of course, to be applauded and much healthier than the low-fat dogma.

GOOD LUCK!
amanda
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 04:50

Plan: No processed foods
Stats: 247.6/232.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:yes
Progress: 15%

The original Protein Power book had the gazillion calculations to determine your minimum protein requirements. PPLP uses a chart based on height/weight/gender to determine this same number.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 08:23

Plan: Controlling the Carbs
Stats: 282/197.5/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 64%

Just got my PPLP book in the mail yesterday only read a few pages so far. Will be back with my thoughts once I read some more.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 10:58
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
I'm not a fan of Atkins - too much soy and processed products and too restrictive.
I agree with the restrictive part but the soy and processed products are simply people's choices, not Atkins.

I see only 2 problems with Atkins. One is the assumption that if you eat LC then you are eating enough protein, and if you look at what many Atkins followers eat they are eating far less protein that is required to prevent muscle wasting no matter who's recommendations you go by. The second problem is that in later versions of his book Atkins decided to give some generic restrictions for how carbs are added back into the diet as one progresses towards maintenance. A better way, in my opinion, would have been to describe how to know if a particular food or group of foods is an issue, rather than saying "do this today then do that next week."
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 07:48

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Here's what changed for me when I went from Atkins to PPLP:

1. I started eating more protein. Just eating the PPLP recommended minimum protein for my size made me less hungry without giving me that sick feeling I was getting from eating a huge amount of fat. I was eating a lot of fat on Atkins to stop hunger.

2. Because I was less hungry I started eating less fat. My fat % dropped to about 60%. My caloric intake dropped. I didn't try to do this -- it just happened.

3. I started eating berries, melons and peaches again. They tasted incredibly good. I started eating the occasional serving of beans, which I love. I returned to eating the occasional toasted LC tortilla, which completely killed my bread cravings. I started eating fried chicken pieces and fried pork chops dusted with flour instead of the myriad of substitutions I had attempted on Atkins, and they tasted good. And I did it all without anyone telling me I was doing something wrong, and I have zero carb cravings.

4. My weight decreased.

5. I feel mentally and physically more alert and energetic.

How long were you doing Atkins before you switched? I read the original PP years ago and liked a lot of it, but wasn't ready to totally embrace LC as a WOE instead of a diet. But a lot of what you said really rings true for me. You have me considering switching to PPLP, especially as strawberry season turns to peach season, and corn is coming in......

Am I considering switching too soon? Any thoughts welcome!

P.S. Am checking out PPLP from my local library TODAY--will post back what I think.

Last edited by livesimply : Thu, Jun-05-08 at 07:54.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 08:16

Plan: LC
Stats: 248.4/245.4/170 Female 5' 6 "
BF:
Progress: 4%

K: How are u coming reading the PPLP book? Have u officially decided to switch or waiting till u get through the book?
One caution is that going from Atkins to PP u have to go to the less fat choices because of the increased intake of carbs. (I think I said this to u already, but it bears repeating). I tried hi-fatting for a while and had to quit, but the mentality of "it's okay to eat a high amount of fat" has lingered and u just can't eat all that fat on PP. My choices have been marbled steak and chicken thighs, when they should have been leaner cuts of beef and chicken breasts. Oh well, as long as I'm living I'll continue to learn. Hope this helps.

Actually it feels like I'm coming full circle. When I started LC I did it on my own and just cut out bread, cereal, most sugar, potatoes and ate protein and veggies. And guess what? After reading 3 more books, and 100's of threads on this forum, I'm going back to what I started off doing in the first place only is called Protein Power. I should have written a book.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 08:19

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Oh yeah - my fat intake went down when I switched to PPLP - but boy, I feel much better on PPLP. To me, it feels like a much more sustainable way of life than Atkins ever did. Atkins always felt like a diet.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 08:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Oh yeah - my fat intake went down when I switched to PPLP - but boy, I feel much better on PPLP. To me, it feels like a much more sustainable way of life than Atkins ever did. Atkins always felt like a diet.

I agree. I did Atkins years ago and it was awful for me all that fat made me so sick (I have no gallbladder) and it did feel like a diet, and one u couldn't do the rest of your life. I don't feel so restricted on PP and it does feel like something u can stick to as a WOE for life.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 17:53

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamlynn
I tried hi-fatting for a while and had to quit, but the mentality of "it's okay to eat a high amount of fat" has lingered and u just can't eat all that fat on PP.
You can't???? But I am! and I have been doing PP/PPLP for 5 years. EDIT: Oops!! I sorry I missed your lack of a gallbladder - that makes you a SPECIAL CASE. Getting your body to run on fat is what you want to do so you can burn away your unwanted stored fat. In your case, I am not sure what the best approch to that would be. I hope you find out.

Breakfast is 80% fat from olive oil and coconut oil which gives me about 1400 calories. I do not eat lunch because I am NOT hungry and go 8 hours or so til I eat supper. 2nd edit: I should add in here that I eat most of my protein for supper and thus have less fat then. So overall my total fat may be in the range of 60-70%. I have been doing PP/PPLP for the lipid (and other) benifits, not to loose weight.

Remember, PP/PPLP has NO EXPLICIT foods you must (or must not) eat. The parameters are; FIRST - enough protein for your body size/activity [ I have not seen any indication that the Eades would allow unlimited protein consumption!], Second - limit carbohydrates such that your body MUST use glucogensis to have enough blood serum glucose for the few cells that need it (no miticohondria), and FINALY - eat enough FAT to supply the calories you need. Supplements are recomended where you cannot get YOUR daily requirement from the foods/drinks you eat. Magnesium being the one that the Eades would FIRST recommend.

Last edited by LarryAJ : Fri, Jun-06-08 at 07:33.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jun-05-08, 19:15
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I did Atkins, either actively losing or in maintenance, for 9.75 years.

I eat less fat on PPLP, but I am a *long* way from low fat, or moderate fat. I tend to get about 60% of my calories from fat, though I have no targets I'm trying to meet -- it just works out that way. I couldn't possibly eat 80% calories from fat if I get the minimum protein requirement in every day, but many people are quite successful doing that.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 07:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAJ
You can't???? But I am! and I have been doing PP/PPLP for 5 years. EDIT: Oops!! I sorry I missed your lack of a gallbladder - that makes you a SPECIAL CASE. Getting your body to run on fat is what you want to do so you can burn away your unwanted stored fat. In your case, I am not sure what the best approch to that would be. I hope you find out.

Breakfast is 80% fat from olive oil and coconut oil which gives me about 1400 calories. I do not eat lunch because I am NOT hungry and go 8 hours or so til I eat supper. 2nd edit: I should add in here that I eat most of my protein for supper and thus have less fat then. So overall my total fat may be in the range of 60-70%. I have been doing PP/PPLP for the lipid (and other) benifits, not to loose weight.

Remember, PP/PPLP has NO EXPLICIT foods you must (or must not) eat. The parameters are; FIRST - enough protein for your body size/activity [ I have not seen any indication that the Eades would allow unlimited protein consumption!], Second - limit carbohydrates such that your body MUST use glucogensis to have enough blood serum glucose for the few cells that need it (no miticohondria), and FINALY - eat enough FAT to supply the calories you need. Supplements are recomended where you cannot get YOUR daily requirement from the foods/drinks you eat. Magnesium being the one that the Eades would FIRST recommend.

Thanks Larry, appreciate your input here. I guess I should have said "I" just can't eat all that fat". I'm just starting PP and have only read the Protein Power book so I'm still learning the program. But one itty-bitty statement made in the book stuck in my mind, which read: When in doubt eat lean meat, fish, or fowl and salad. BUT in another place it reads not to worry about fat. PP allows me more carbs than I've been eating for the last almost three months, and I've read on a thread or two that with an increase in carbs, you should decrease your fat intake, so that's where I was coming from. I know I'll still eat my coconut oil and butter and olive oil, so I'm not worried about that kind of fat, just think I'll be more cautious about the animal fats, especially since that's the kind of fat that my body with it's missing gall blader, rebels against.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 08:08

Plan: Controlling the Carbs
Stats: 282/197.5/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 64%

I finished reading PPLP can I just say it had me a little confused once I got to the menus. I don't I guess I am so use to SB and Atkins format that it kind of threw me off.

Of course I come with questions??????

First off how in the world do you count your protein? I don't have a scale and couldn't tell you what a 2 oz piece of chicken look like compared to 4 oz.

As far as fat do you just add enough for cooking but not intentionally ADD lots to make it high fat?

What about calories? I noticed in the book he does mention that you have to be mindful of that.

Umm let's see what about the carbs? Someone mentioned before that in the PP book that it said to start with 30 carbs but I don't recall seeing this in PPLP.

I know I am going to have to read the book again.

One thing I want to ay about Atkins and I actually started a thread asking does Atkins eventually become a Low Fat diet? (not as low as your typical low fat diets but MUCH lower then Induction/OWL)

I ask this b/c I went back and read Atkins 2002 book and in the Q&A section he was asked if he promotes a high fat diet and his response was......... Not exactly b/c once you work towards maintence you will have to DECREASE your fats as you INCREASE your carbs.

So that left me thinking is that why alot of people have trouble staying on Atkins I mean really following it to the letter and tend to always go back to Induction/OWL? I find that alot of people are not truly going up the rungs as written in the book and are actually stuck at Induction with a few added OWL-Maintence foods thrown in every now and then. To me this is not how the plan was design.

Let me say this is not a bash in any form on the Atkins diet (before anyone starts posting). I read and come to my own conclusions but I am curious as to what think?

For me I am tired of dieting and want something I can live with without feeling deprived. I don't want to spend my life afraid to leave Induction.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 08:42

BF:

With my limited knowledge, I'll attempt to answer a couple of questions. (You should look at the post above from Larry, it gives quite a lot info on the basics of the program).

First, I would invest in a cheap little kitchen scale to weigh your protein since protein is so important to following the program correctly.

As far as fat goes, Larry gives some insight on that too, but I think that if you need the calories (guess u don't want to go too low) you can add the good oils. BUT it may be that you'll get enough from the protein foods you eat. And I GUESS the point is that we aren't to be afraid of our fat intake (or at least not the good ones) if our carbs (the PP book does definitely start u at 30) are the right amounts. General rule: In the absence of carbs (too many), fat intake should not be a problem.

Others will be able to help u a lot more on your questions, I'm sure.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 08:51

Plan: cronometer + Ray Peat
Stats: 185/118.4/125 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-boogie
First off how in the world do you count your protein? I don't have a scale and couldn't tell you what a 2 oz piece of chicken look like compared to 4 oz.
On page 76 of Atkins for Life (AFL) he lists really great guidelines for estimating portion sizes that might help you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-boogie
So that left me thinking is that why alot of people have trouble staying on Atkins I mean really following it to the letter and tend to always go back to Induction/OWL? I find that alot of people are not truly going up the rungs as written in the book and are actually stuck at Induction with a few added OWL-Maintence foods thrown in every now and then. To me this is not how the plan was design......

For me I am tired of dieting and want something I can live with without feeling deprived. I don't want to spend my life afraid to leave Induction.
I've been reading several threads with great interest and was contemplating switching to PP/PPLP. Got the books from the library AND got out my DANDR & AFL (Atkins for Life). I agree totally that it "seems" like lots of people do stay at induction-level carbs for various reasons-food intolerances, falling off/on the wagon, fear, etc. For me, my ultimate goal is to be able to follow something more like AFL if possible. In that book he breaks down foods into 3 categories: eat regularly, eat moderately, eat sparingly. Fruit is included, so are some grains, but basically keeping things LC and high nutrition. I'm good with that as a lifetime plan--it seems very similar to PP in the later stages. We'll see as I go along; I figure I can always tweak to my particular needs.

I TOTALLY agree with pamlynn about getting a kitchen scale--I use mine all the time!

This is a great discussion.