Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 216.1/186/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Low Carb and Restless Legs?

I've been mostly low carb for the past couple weeks, and I've had trouble sleeping because my legs are so restless. When I lie down I can't keep them still for more than about twenty seconds because they feel so creepy and crawly. Has this happened to anyone else? Could I be missing some mineral in my diet? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 08:34
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

It could be some kind of deficiency. What are you supplementing with? You lose a lot of water the first couple weeks on lowcarb.

Also though, I tend to get restless legs in bed when I have more physical energy than I am acting on during the day. When I'm low carb I tend to have a lot more energy, so I simply must get more exercise. If I don't, it's like there's all this energy just running around my body still, especially waist-down.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 09:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

I just read earlier this morning that could be a symptom of iron deficiency. My iron levels stay low even on a high-protein diet. Go figure.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 10:04

Plan: dirty carnivore..yeah
Stats: 203/170/160 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

UUURRRR
I get this.
It's so horrible. Yeah like creepy crawlies under the skin. I kind of put up with it because I always forget/can't afford to buy the right supplements, but I think it's magnesium and maybe calcium.
Also foot cramps sometimes have me flying out of bed, to try and walk them off.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 10:49
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I restarted almost two weeks ago and my legs are dancing fools. A thought since I'm less tired my hyper nature is showing her face (I'm ADD) I plan to talk to my doctor about this, but he'll just give me another med. sigh... I take potassium and magnesium and D etc so its not a lack of something other than carbs. One curious note: I started IF two days ago and yesterday when the only thing I ate was dinner, my legs were quiet. I was really sleepy because the night before with no dinenr my legs were going nuts?! I got like 4 hours of sleep.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 11:52

Stats: 244/219/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

I've had restless leg syndrome for about 15 years now and I noticed that it gets MUCH worse when I'm doing low carb, I even feel it in my arms sometimes. Usually magnesium helps, that and valerian root. Beware - valerian root capsules are some really stinky stuff!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 12:43

Stats: 225/197/125 Female 69
BF:30.5%/26.7%/18.5%
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheist
I've had restless leg syndrome for about 15 years now and I noticed that it gets MUCH worse when I'm doing low carb, I even feel it in my arms sometimes. Usually magnesium helps, that and valerian root. Beware - valerian root capsules are some really stinky stuff!

Interesting! I am exactly the opposite. I had to go on Rx meds for it because I couldn't get any rest, and even during the day would have severe episodes (which makes it hard to say, STAND AT THE OR TABLE during surgery lol) I was recently able to decrease my meds a bit which is cool IMO.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 12:51
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I didn't want to mention this earlier but why not. I've had that off and on for years (not related to LC, though I think it might increase with that) -- and a proper bout of sex before sleep can actually help reduce or eliminate that for me. It seems to vent a whole lot of energy in the nervous system is my only guess.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 13:44

Stats: 244/219/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I didn't want to mention this earlier but why not. I've had that off and on for years (not related to LC, though I think it might increase with that) -- and a proper bout of sex before sleep can actually help reduce or eliminate that for me. It seems to vent a whole lot of energy in the nervous system is my only guess.

Too bad hubby works midnites, lol. A good cure for what ails ya, huh?
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 15:28
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 216.1/186/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Thanks for all the ideas! I've been taking calcium but I'll switch to cal/mag. I took a walk earlier, and I'll try to take another before dinner. And I'll tell dh about the other cure, I'm sure he'll be disappointed.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 18:42

Stats: 302/242/180 Female 5'7" (170 cm)
BF:
Progress: 49%

When I had been on Atkins for a while I did get what was exactly like "Restless Leg Syndrome". I didn't get night cramps, nor did it interupt my sleep, but in the evening when I sat down (usually after dinner) to watch TV and stuff, my legs would be so restless I couln't find a position I was comfortable in.

Now I know people with "Restless Leg Syndrome" and they have it pretty much all their lives (at least since teens or early adulthood) and studies indicate it is largely genetic.

I believe in my case (i.e. when being on Atkins) it is because of lack of minerals. You need to take lots of extra minerals AND eat healthy green veggies.

When I went off Atkins I noticed that it took roughly 2 months for my legs to stop aching.

There is also a recent thread about this here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...stless+syndrome
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 20:39

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

RLS is indeed believed to be genetic and all of the current meds on the market for treatment work on dopamine. True RLS is not caused by or cured by too much/too little vitamins or minerals. LC should have no bearing on RLS. Possibly some other condition is being experienced as a result of lc but, it is not RLS. Prior to the discovery of the dopamine connection, typical treatment was muscle relaxers like Valium.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-26-18, 21:52

Plan: clean keto
Stats: 167/159/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

I have "true RLS." I've had it since I was a child, and went on prescription medication for it about 20 years ago. I also have PLMD. My medication helps with both.

Since starting keto, my RLS is back full force, even on meds. FWIW, I don't take a dopamine agonist for my condition. I take a benzodiazepine. I've tried other medications and the side effects were awful for me, so I decided to stick with what works.

It's not working right now, though. I've only been eating keto style for a couple of weeks, so my RLS kicked in shortly after entering ketosis, so I'm still trying to figure out what's causing it. I've noticed that if I eat something slightly carby about an hour before bed, it's not as bad. Just being careful not to kick myself out of ketosis. I've been sticking with a couple of tablespoons of nut butter or a half cup of plain yogurt.

Well, I'm starting to feel like maybe I can sleep now. Went to bed three hours ago and finally got up in frustration. Good night!

https://www.webmd.com/brain/restles...drome-treatment
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-30-18, 12:15
Registered Member

Plan: healthline article
Stats: 215/150/130 Female 161
BF:30%/27%/15%
Progress: 76%

What helped me was quitting coffee in the morning. Apparently stimulants can worsen your situation. Best of luck!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-31-18, 05:08

Plan: clean keto
Stats: 167/159/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

I have found some relief with Epsom salt foot soaks about 30 minutes before bed. That, and I increased my calcium supplement.

Thanks, jasmineci, but I don't drink coffee. Crazy, I know. lol