Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 04:46

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

Precisely that. Not all the deaths were health related, and the health related deaths didn't always have a known connection to diet, diabetes, or obesity.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 07:15
Registered Member

Plan: my own/semi low carb
Stats: 153/151/127 Female 64 inches
BF:u bet!
Progress: 8%
Default huh??

Where do these clinical researchers get their ideas and data?
The annecdotal data---real people eating real food---is where the truth is!
People in my family have been eating eggs most/every day of the week and living into their 80's and 90's.

Yeah, I guess it took from 85-98 years for those eggs to kill my kin folk!
This reminds me of those New Zealanders that claim butter is poison. It also took at least 85 years and in some cases 94 and 98 years for butter to "poison" my family members.

Sheesh!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 07:36
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
The annecdotal data---real people eating real food---is where the truth is!
Quote:
biggest problem with this study was not controlling for total energy intake, with high energy intake usually correlating with high CHO intake. they said they tracked the macronutrient composition of the participants' diets, why not contol for it?
This is not a clinical study. It is an epidemiological study of what real people -- in this case physicians -- really eat -- in this case what they report in surveys that they eat -- along with their self-reported lifestyle and their health.

Without taking any issue with how corrections were made for other risk factors, as well as ignoring the causation.correlation issue, what is striking to me in these types of reports is how strongly one believes the data. How many people who report they eat on average 6 eggs a week actually eat on average 5 or 4 or 7 or 8 eggs per week? Stop and think about it for a minute -- how many people can accurately report exactly what they eat over the course of one year, much less 20 years?
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 07:55

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

no wonder we all get blank stares when we tell low fatting friends that our health improved while eating a dozen eggs...

it's an uphill battle, everyone!

*btw, my doctor told me my b12 was low and I should eat MORE eggs... guess she doesn't think yahoo news is a valid source of medical information.

hahahahhaaa!!!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 08:42

Plan: very low fiber
Stats: 225/225/150 Female 67 in.
BF:dont know
Progress: 0%

I had to dig myself up to write this post
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 10:31

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Male -
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Without taking any issue with how corrections were made for other risk factors, as well as ignoring the causation.correlation issue, what is striking to me in these types of reports is how strongly one believes the data. How many people who report they eat on average 6 eggs a week actually eat on average 5 or 4 or 7 or 8 eggs per week? Stop and think about it for a minute -- how many people can accurately report exactly what they eat over the course of one year, much less 20 years?

Another confounding issue is that industrial-farm chickens are kept in abysmal conditions, eating the worst kind of feed soaked in antibiotics, so that it would not be that surprising if eggs now contain toxic substances. I buy 'organic' eggs, but still from the big producers, and I can't say my confidence in the organic label is high.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 13:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jargon
Wait wait wait...

Aren't ALL of us at risk for death from any cause?

Nah...I plan to die of absolutely nothing at all.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 14:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

I'm so grateful to Yahoo for getting me off the road to dying of all causes. I've decided to cut out all egg consumption and live forever.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 14:34

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellistile
I can't submit a comment because I've been dead for about 5 years from eating too many eggs.

I think I'm in the same mosilium then . LOL.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 16:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 196/196/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:Let's not go there

I wonder if "all causes" included being hit by a buse, shot by ajealous lover, having a Mount Everest accident or choking on a popsicle stick?
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 17:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstares
I wonder if "all causes" included being hit by a buse, shot by ajealous lover, having a Mount Everest accident or choking on a popsicle stick?

Or getting mugged because you smell like eggs?
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 18:26

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

well guys, just wanted to come by and say goodbye. I had 6 eggs today, tomorrow's brekkie will put me over the edge.

it was nice knowing you all!
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 21:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

see ya
We'll miss you heaps
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-08, 21:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/189.2/145 Female 5' 9.5"
BF:37%
Progress: -13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleo
Another confounding issue is that industrial-farm chickens are kept in abysmal conditions, eating the worst kind of feed soaked in antibiotics, so that it would not be that surprising if eggs now contain toxic substances. I buy 'organic' eggs, but still from the big producers, and I can't say my confidence in the organic label is high.

YEAH. Those eggs are disgusting! The whites are runny, the shells are paper thin and they stink.

I had been buying the organic, free range ones and they're better but the other day at the local health food emporium I picked up some from a local ranch. OMG I had forgotten how delicious a REAL egg tastes!!!

Oh and goodbye cruel world. I had, let's see, 14 eggs this past week? No, make that 15. I must be dead.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-08, 01:09

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 66%

Jeez, here they go again with the eggs. It's cyclical, every few years they resurrect the egg hypothesis. Same with coffee/caffeine. Honestly, every time I hear a report that starts with "a new study revealed......" I think of stuff that Gary Taubes discussed about the lousy science. And ONE study really shows nothing at all. Balooey on all of them. There are so many variables, and just once I'd love to see an egg study done with Atkins or other LC eaters. Well, I've had eggs for breakfast every day for over a year now. I'm not dead yet, my health is great, my cholesterol didn't go up from the eggs.