Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-08, 04:16
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjo
I used to drink skimmed milk in decaff tea and coffee. Is this allowed on Dr Dahlqvist's plan? I really miss having 'normal' milk in hot drinks. Any advice or recommendations? Thanks! I'm very new to all this low carb stuff, having been a low fat dieter for years!
Dairy products. Milk, yoghurt, cheese, Feta cheese, cottage cheese, Creme Fraiche, cream cheese, butter, mayonnaise etc. are all allowed on Dr D's Plan.

I only drink GREEN TEA I think this helps weight loss and has many other health benefits and you use milk in green tea so this has not been an issue for me.

I personally think you would be better drinking cream in your coffee and a little whole milk in you tea. The lower the glycemic load the better. It is low glycemic load foods that keep your insulin levels down and allow your body to burn the stored fat.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-08, 13:33
Registered Member

BF:
Default Dr Dahlqvist on Swedish Weight Loss program.

"Were well from fibromyalgin"
Record number of viewers attracted to the cold facts discussion after yesterday's story "Fat War". This tells some that tested on the high fat diet on impact.

Sorry about the Google version of Swedish I think something got lost in the translation but I think there is enough there to see it mirrors my experience.
I'm not sure I'd say "my stomach is how calm and beautiful any time," but I think you get the drift.
But If anyone out their speaks Swedish and can help translate
"Jag har nästan magrutor" or "Fanisg hy blev bebishy" It would save me trying to second guess what those contributors were on about.

Thanks to Nancy for the original link.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-08, 03:18
Registered Member

BF:
Default Annika Dalhqvist calls for sacking of Sweden's Food Czar.

First apologies to those fluent is Swedish. I don't speak a word of Swedish so this is a Google Translate version of a Swedish Newspaper article about Dr Dalhqvists attack of the Swedish Nutritional advice panel. I've tried to clean up the Google Translated version with this excellent online Swedish/English dictionary but haven't really time now to double check it thoroughly although I do understand this is only an extremely rough translation.

Food Administration refuses to face the facts
Replace Inger Andersson, Director General of the NFA, insist Dr Annika Dahlqvist and author Per Wikholm.

It is increasingly apparent there is a connection between the obesity epidemic which hit large parts of the world and the fact that fats have largely been replaced by fast acting refined carbohydrates.
NFA needs a new manager who has the courage to recognize that today's dietary guidelines have a poor scientific foundations.

FA Director Inger Andersson has failed to appreciate the nature of the culture that has characterized nutritional research over the decades.
It is a culture of assertiveness, uniformity and an inability to recognize the problems that arise from the influence of the food industry.
NFA needs a new leadership that has both the will and ability to change that culture.

More and more it is apparent there is a connection between the obesity epidemic that has hit large parts of the world and the fact that fat largely been replaced by refined fast acting carbohydrates.

More and more we see a connection between the global obesity epidemic and the fact because of the injunctions to eat low fat that fat largely been replaced by more refined carbohydrates.
NFA leadership is well aware of this problem.
The natural reaction in this situation should be an open and self-critical attitude of the NFA page. Instead, the [Swedish] National Food Administration go even further along this dead end road as New directives require only fat free milk and low fat margarine may be served in kindergarten and schools.

Probably the most infamous representative of the NFA group of experts on diet and health, Professor Stephan Rössner in TV4 "Kalla Fakta" dismisses the doctors and scientists critical of official dietary advice as dung eating flies.

Professor Claude Marcus also recently went on a full frontal assault on the journalists who critically examined the dietary advice and accusing them of "vulgar journalism" in a debate article in Dagens Nyheter.

But when this dietary advice was introduced in the 1970s, it was very controversial. The authorities replaced the scientific culture of constant critical questioning by a culture of assertiveness.
The Marcus attack on the journalists fell into the same bunker mentality pattern.

The scientific hypothesis that refined carbohydrates and not fat are causing the West's endemic diseases has a longer history than modern current dietary advice.

In short, it can be described like this:

Carbohydrates are creating hunger by stimulating hormone insulin.

It is because insulin is raised as carbohydrates are burned this obliges the body to store circulating fatty acids in fat cells. This then lowers your blood sugar levels and quickly you become hungry again.

The natural food we humans are adapted to contain no refined carbohydrates or fast-acting carbohydrates in any large amount.

The carbohydrate-rich diet advocated make it impossible for many to control appetite.

When large segments of the population had a working day that required a lot of physical activity Eating a diet with an unnaturally high proportion of carbohydrates the Calories were burnt. But in today's society most people, even if they are exercising an hour a day. never come close to the physical activity levels of early 1900's.

Therefore, a diet strategy is needed that recognises the body's natural mechanisms for satiation and promotes fatburning is more important in a society where more and more have sedentary jobs.

As reported in "Cold Facts" the current scientific basis for dietary advice was built on a a few old studies with poor design. Several modern studies with a higher evidence standards point in the opposite direction.
In a comment to Claude Marcus debate DN's science director Karin discussed several large, well controlled scientific studies that undermine the NFA advice.

The hypothesis that saturated fat may be be dangerous, is based entirely on short-term studies where total cholesterol increased slightly.
In the longer studies there is no such difference.
Instead we see in more and more studies on blood lipid values are better in a higher fat diet.
Total cholesterol has been shown to be a poor indicator to predict cardiovascular disease.
The so-called apolipoprotein is a better measure.
High intake of carbohydrate affects apolipoprotein in a manner that is associated with greater risk for cardiovascular disease.

The whole idea of the saturated fat and carbohydrate alleged hazards of their use is a colossus without foundations.

After revelations about the strong links with the food industry, the National Board Director-General Lars-Erik Holm has relieved of their duties a few personal interest nutrition experts in the group that would develop new guidelines for diabetics.!

Welfare now allows the State preparation for medical evaluation, SBU, appoint a new expert group to formulate advice for diabetics, people with cardiovascular disease and obesity. The Director General of Health and Welfare, took on the issue of unhealthy links to the food industry after only a few weeks in office.NFA Director-General became aware of the abuses several months earlier, but failed to act.

The government directives to the group that produced the first modern nutrition councils in the 70's actively encouraged close collaboration with the food industry and trade. The results included in the campaign "6-8 RAREBIT" where private Bread Institute accounted for the money with the authorities as the guarantor of the message. This intimate interaction with the food industry has continued.
It is a culture that pervades the NFA and its expert groups.!Now, a campaign including Läkartidningen where representatives of the dietary advice intend that we should be content with a lower degree of scientific proof for advice than we accept for drugs.

The official dietary advice affects us all more or less.

Our children in kindergarten and schools have no choice.
Nor those living in older homes or other institutions.
Proof needed for dietary advice should therefore be high.
NFA needs a new manager who has the courage to recognize that today's dietary guidelines have weak scientific underpinnings.
Concern for public health deserves officials who are sufficiently confident to show transparency and take a step back instead to reinforce the prevailing culture of assertiveness.
Annika Dahlqvist!is a general practitioner in Njurunda.!
Per Wikholm is the author of "Ideology and money behind the diet advice."

Sorry if this doesn't flow well but I don't speak Swedish and have to use an online dictionary to try to clean it up sufficiently to make sense. It's a pity though that we haven't anyone in the UK willing to take on our nutritional advisers. It's about time they were made to publicly justify the dogma they've been churning out recently.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 04:32
Registered Member

BF:
Default Sack the University Nutrition Professors demands Annika.

Again apologies to Swedish speakers for this very rough translation of Annika's blog
I had to guess at kostrådgivare

Require nutrition professors departure!

Many health advisors in society refer to professors at the NFA and on the large obesity clinics, for their low-fat low-caloric dietary advice.

But dietary advice from these Professors has not made many people slimmer and healthier, but more have become heavier and sicker when they followed that advice.

Now as thousands of people in Sweden have discovered, they have better health and weight control with Low Carbohydrate High Fat, LCHF. Knowledge of this spreads out like rings on the water.

When you ask professors what they base their advice on they ignore the question, or refer to a thick book in English (NNR, Nordic Nutrition Recommendations).

But when you study further you can not find the answer to what those recommendations are based on.

There is not a single study that shows that low-fat is better than Low Carbohydrate-diet for health and weight control, and none showing that the natural fat is worse for your health than Industrially made artificial fats.

There are professors Åke Bruce, Wulf Becker, Claude Marcus and Stephan Rössner who mainly represent the ineffective Low Fat High Carb model (LFHC) that is not supported in either science or proven experience.

They should not be paid by taxpayers when they put out a message that endangers people's health and life.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-08, 05:41
Registered Member

BF:
Default Vote for Annika

Vote for Annika here you will need to scroll down the page a bit till you find her photo. Sorry I can't offer you a translation of her broadcast messages. But you'll see a email address to reply to and if you put annika dalhqvist in the subject line and hit send that's all that is necessary.
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-08, 08:40

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
Vote for Annika here you will need to scroll down the page a bit till you find her photo. Sorry I can't offer you a translation of her broadcast messages. But you'll see a email address to reply to and if you put annika dalhqvist in the subject line and hit send that's all that is necessary.

I think I did the right thing!!! I put her name in the subject line and then wrote (in German and English): I vote for Annika Dahlquist.

Hope that helps the low-carb cause in Sweden!

amanda
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-08, 03:44
Registered Member

BF:

Excellent. From her blog I gather she is a bit disappointed that in another Swedish poll she was listed as only the 9th most bolshey woman in Sweden. So it would be a good thing if she is given a bit more encouragement and support to be somewhat more aggressive.

On her blog today is a link to Healthy Low carb eating the Swedish way over Christmas.The article recommends avoiding Swedish sausage, herring in syrup and Gravlax salmon. Apparently because they contain sugar? Personally, I think all but the most careful most sugar hunters can eat this for Christmas with good conscience! The sugar content would be very small in percentage after all.

Eat, instead a single solid orange (which is on the ok list) provides more sugar than if you ate the same weight of the three things above. Example:
Gravlax salmon: 1.9 g/100 g energy or 4 percent sugar.
Orange: 8.9g/100g energy or 83 percent sugar.

A few fruits are good for most, but I discourage a fruit orgy over Christmas. If you are concerned about weight / blood sugar it is perhaps best to refrain from the fruit barrel.

Beware of this food:
Julmust, soft drinks (worst on the list)
Beer
BREAD FLAVORED WITH WORT (containing 13% sugar)
Lusser Bullar
Gingerbread
Rice a la malta
Rice porridge, pre-purchased (containing 14% sugar)
Toffee
Saffron pancake
Candy
Light chocolate
This is good to eat:
Christmas ham (preferably oily)
Herring
Meatballs (like homemade)
Sausage
Gravlax salmon
Lutefish with green peas
Salami
Red cabbage
Omelette with räkstuvning
Kale
Brussels sprouts
Cheese (like feta)
Almonds and nuts
Jansson's Temptation (preferably with butter and cream) - a moderate amount
Rice porridge (with plenty of cream) - a moderate amount
A dram or two Red wine / dry white wine
Lyxa to it with-little-from this list, if you want:
Mulled wine (strong gains)
Figs, dates, dried apricots
Homemade gingerbread
Lyxmarsipan
Dark chocolate
Apples
Oranges and clementines
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-08, 07:20
Registered Member

BF:

Annika's blog today If we rephrase her words slightly we see Rössner (Senior Professor, Karolinska University Hospital) has written an article about the pharmacological treatment of obesity.

He considers surgery, and medicines are the only effective methods to combat obesity.

Low carbohydrate Higher fat diets are still not on the map for Rössner and his gang, despite the fact that it in practice in Sweden low carb dieting has taken off like an epidemic with sensational health as a result, surely this is the best practice.

A google translation of the article she is talking about is here
Despite numerous efforts, we still do not have enough medicines for the effective long-term treatment of obesity. Diet, exercise and lifestyle changes work for some but not all. Today surgery is the only method that gives reasonable consistently effective weight loss. Surgery is limited to a fraction of all those on medical grounds are eligible for surgery.

Last edited by Hutchinson : Wed, Dec-10-08 at 07:33.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-09, 11:05
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:

Glad to see that Annika won the poll.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-09, 08:46

BF:

Quote:
Glad to see that Annika won the poll.[/url]

Me too!

amanda
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-09, 09:01

BF:
Default Beer ban - inspired by Hutchinson!

Quote:
Beware of this food:
Beer

Hi Ted and Happy New Year!

I was reading through this thread again because I wanted to remind myself of exactly how fast you had lost. You write that you lost 2.25lbs a week (i.e a kilo a week, right?) and didn't drink beer for 20 weeks (or was it 25??? - I forget).

Anyway, seeing as it's that time of year for resolutions and the like, I have decided to follow your shining example and have resolved to stay off the beer till I reach goal. I have about five kilos to lose (a couple more wouldn't go amiss, but 5kg would be a good start!) and I'm hoping that I can shift them double-quick if I stay off the beer!

It took me five months last year to go down from 67kg to 62kg (almost to goal), because I didn't take beer off the menu entirely... I have now managed to get back up to 66kg since December and am kicking myself!!! If I were able to lose at the same rate you did, I would have those 5kg gone in five weeks!!! This is a huge motivation to try out the no-beer-at-all low-carb diet (at long last). Last year, I did pretty well on the whole with low-carbing and keeping the beer intake low, very few binges, but the weight loss was slow.

In the past, my usual excuse for a beer has been stress, the need to wind down after a busy day etc, but - thanks in part to you - now that I have been taking 4,000 IU of Vit D3 on a daily basis, I feel much more balanced, less prone to feeling stressed over nothing and really think I have a fighting chance to wean myself off this beer stuff.

I was looking back at my weight-loss diaries, and it was really quite distressing to see how regularly the beer intake sabotaged my weight-loss attempts.

This year, with the help of Vit D3 to keep me sane, I will manage without beer till I have lost 5kg!

Wish me luck and tell Annika that I thank her, too!

amanda
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-09, 06:02
Registered Member

BF:

Here is another rough translation of the article from the Swedish Newspaper Annika was talking about in a previous post. I put the orginal Swedish through Google Translate and then rephrased it so it sounded more like spoken English. So this isn't a strict word for word translation.

Doktor Dahlqvist -- Net Västernorrland OVANSJÖ (ST) 2009-01-07 03:00 Those who speak Swedish here will see where I have taken some gross liberties with the original. I'll happily re edit this post if anyone feels they have better suggestions than my guesses to offer and who PM me with a more reasonable translation.

She has been praised and much mocked but now regularly receives one prize after another.

Doctor Annika Dahlqvist has now been chosen campaigner of the year by radio Net Västernorrland listeners.

"It is great, but I really do not seek fame. I am just trying to save the world, "she says with a twinkle in her eyes.

She seems to be tough and strong as a mountain birch.

When two nutritionists reported her to Health Authorities, she was forced to resign from her position as a doctor, because of her utter conviction, and then, the esteemed professor Stefan Rössner accused her of being "A deluded nutter from the Northlands."

But Annika Dahlqvist simply continued to push her on with her mission with greater urgency.

The controversy was over the Low-carbohydrate diet advice that she promoted, as the headstrong person she is, this had left her ending up on her own, completely out in the cold.

But I am happy to fight when I am convinced something is right. But when I had small children it did make me feel uncomfortable when I felt the whole community was talking about me in derogatory terms and trying to make me appear ridiculous. "she says.

But Annika Dahlqvist weathered the storm and it's now the case that Radio Västernorrland listeners decided that she was Personality of the year for 2008.

70 percent of the votes, were for Annika and part of the justification was specitically "Because she stood up against the Health and Welfare and Food Administration's current dietary recommendations - campaigning instead for a diet she believes in - Low carbohydrate but High natural animal fat.

Annika Dahlqvist celebrated her 60th birthday recently and has demonstrated she has convinced people she is worth more than all those jobsworths. "Those Professors do not like what I say. But people who are ill do not have time to wait for ten years for them to wake up to the fact that they have been wrong for the last fifty years," she said.

After she resigned from Njurunda clinic, she continued her work by holding lectures while working on call unsocial hours in the hospital. The rest of her time, she worked ceaselessly to promote her message, via her blog and through e-mail contacts.

In January she issued her third book, a cookbook, she co-wrote with the help of the chef and district nurse Maria Höglund.

Last spring, she realized how precarious her life had become. "I broke my foot when I was on the way to a lecture in Stockholm in March and because I had no permanent job was very vulnerable. But I continued to give lectures and when the plaster was removed, I began to work again despite the fact that the screws in the foot were wrong however I was able to manage with crutches". she said.

Before the third book Annika started Doctor Dahl Qvists fund, to ensure royalties from her books could go to nutrition research. "Nobody should accuse me me for doing this for my own benefit or with the intention of profiting from the earnings from my books. I have lower incomes than in the past but the main thing is that I manage and I'm independent." she said.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 14:54
Registered Member

BF:

Take the bull by the horns - recommend fat My rough and somewhat very liberal translation of this Swedish Newspaper article by Kerstin Monk
"Wonderful to have found a method that makes us healthy '
Sold out. The lectures, which the doctor Annika Dahlqvist held in Sandviken and Gävle week drew a record audience. She is the doctor who dares go against the tide and is fighting against the low fat diet. She wants to save the world.
When she takes the train from Sundsvall with backpack on her back, sturdy shoes and a happy smile. (very smiley photo of Annika with her backpack on way to station) it is difficult to believe that this middle-aged woman may have been responsible for the biggest debate about our food history. But the fact is that it is so and also it is clear that her dietary advice is influencing a lot of people. There are two sides to the story but Annika, who is convinced that she is right, wants to save us, by ensuring we realize that a low fat diet is bad thing
It was pure chance she had this insight.
Her daughter, who read medicine, was included in a study in which different types of diets were tested. She had to try a low carbohydrate diet and discovered to her surprise that she lost three kilograms in the week. The weekend after she happened to be home and mentioned it to her mum. Annika had, over the years, tried various diets and her weight had yo-yoed. Annika also suffered from fibromyalgia, arthritis stomach problems and at times felt really bad.
So Annika began to eat her daughter's diet, with a more fat and less carbohydrate. That settled it: she not only lost weight, she was also healthy.
The rest is history.
She began to give this dietary advice to her diabetic patients, who became slimmer and had better values. But then she was given a formal warning by her employers because she was in violation of the Social Welfare Board dietary recommendations for diabetes patients. Two nutritionists in Värmland reported her, and after two years of reflection Swedish Medical Council decided that Annika's advice was supported by the science and was consistent with the best practice although many professors remained concerned.
That set the ball rolling. Annika had resigned from the Medical Center at Njurunda and quickly became a sought-after lecturer. In addition, she started a blog that became the one of the most visited .
“So how did it come to be like this,” I wonder when we meet in Gävle.
The whole world is suffering an obesity epidemic. Nobody had a good explanation of what has been responsible for this being so. But some have said that we are eating too much and we are moving too little. But it may simply because we eat too little fat? And the wrong fat? This is what Annika Dahlqvist is convinced of.
The explanation for the world's fear of fat is called Ancel Keys. He was an American researcher on the 50's with studies that showed that fatty diets lead to heart attacks. He managed to scare a whole world into eating low fat and he was supported by the whole scientific world. Professors bought into his message and the food industry likewise took the bait.
But now, looking more closely at Ancel Keys studies, we can see instances of fraud. He fiddled the results to suit his own theory.
Annika weighed 80 kilograms at her worst. Most of this weight was around her stomach so she felt ungainly. When the new diet worked so well for her, she realized that it wasn't just especially for her but all mankind. To discourage us from eating natural saturated fat is wrong: that is what we should eat.
Really it is so obvious and logical, "she says, “because that is what humanity has eaten throughout history.”
Why wasn't Ancel Keys denounced earlier?
I think the food industry is responsible for promoting the wrong dietary advice, this has stimulated the development, especially of margarine industry, vegetable cooking oils and the refined carbohydrate industry.
How much attention should be place on the influence of our genes?
- Of course genes play a large role. We are our genes. But we had the same genes for 100 years ago when we weren't overweight. When our the body is naturally set for a fatty, low-carbohydrate diet, the reaction to a low fat diet high carbohydrate diet is worse.
It becomes sensitive to carbohydrates.
That explains why indigenous peoples have become so obese when migrating to western style diets.
I say that to those who are young, healthy, slim and physically active who think they do not need to eat this diet but the risk is that you will become more sensitive to those carbohydrates.
Anyone who has been obese will stick to keep strictly to this diet, for our health's sake.
Who needs to eat this diet?
Those who are or have been obese and sick. Others can tolerate eating a little more carbohydrates. But nobody knows how much they can tolerate. We see athletes who are slim still dying of heart attacks. Nobody is guaranteed not to have these diseases.
Why did you meet such resistance?
- Because I am so provocative. At the same time, because I get a such a lot of attention this raised the issue and as a result more people discover that the issue is. Although It was absolutely fantastic when our medical council determined that my advice was science-based and consistent with best medical practice there is still the subtext - they haven't accepted what I am saying is that it is that natural saturated fat is OK. And that is where the root of the problem lies, they believe that saturated fat is dangerous as is cholesterol.
We imagine that when you eat a lot of fat, it blocks your the blood vessels.
- Yes, it was Ancel Keys idea. The idea had not existed before, and before Keys scientists knew that this wasn't so. It is an extremely simplistic crude idea. In fact it's just nonsense.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away, it is customary to say. Why do you discourage people eating fruit?
- People who are healthy and slim can get away with eating apples. But there is a lot of sugar in all fruit and those who are carbohydrate sensitive need to eat as little fruit as possible.
How has this changed your life?
- The nature of my live now has become very exciting. I try to dedicate some time to the family but the only time I have to relax is when I'm traveling to lectures. Then I read novels. I have not got a laptop yet, so it's nice to relax on the train.
What do you think about health care?
- I now see that a lot of disease panorama due to wrong diet. There is much that is wrong: much is focused on drugs and medical dogma.
How can you be so sure this is the right thing?
- Simply and most importantly of all, because it works. There are thousands who have reported this on my blog. This works when nothing else has worked. It is wonderful to have found a method of making us healthy and slim. Before when we only became fatter and sicker we just put the blame on patients as bad people with bad characters who lied about the food they had consumed or the exercise they hadn't done. People still accuse us of lying, saying that that we eat more than we do. But now with our craving gone we can choose for ourselves whether to eat or not and we can become slim without being hungry. We find we are free from the ailments that we did not even know we had, Things like rough skin that we took for granted, When you see that skin become much softer you know your whole body is working better.
Have you told this to Oprah Winfrey?
- No, celebrity doesn't interest me. I go out with my message to ordinary people. The message is free, simple and totally transparent.
Is this diet throughout the world?
- It is only in Sweden that we have taken the bull by the horns and said it is the fat that is good, that we must replace carbohydrate diet with natural fat. It is not the proteins that we are going to increase without the fat. It is we alone in the world and I think that is why we are so healthy. It was Lars-Erik Litsfeldt, Sten Sture Skaldeman and I, who came to this idea independently of each other but around the same time. Supporting us is Uffe Ravnskov, the researcher in Lund, who wrote the book "Fat and cholesterol is healthy." Ever since the 70s, he has argued that it is a lie that the fat is dangerous. Nobody has listened until we embraced it and denounced the lie.
Internationally are you closest to the Atkins diet?
- Yes, but it is not the same thing. Atkins has low carbohydrate initially and then carbohydrates are reintroduced again. We say, reduce carbohydrates now and keep them down for the rest of your life. No one should eat low fat. Atkins says the same but he did not distinguish between the different fats, butter and margarine, which we do very strictly - butter not margarine. . He thinks that a lot of junk food is OK. He had his Atkinsbar with a lot of artificial sweeteners. We reject all chemicals including sweeteners. I say, we do not naturally have the sweet taste so no sugar or sweeteners. Our ancestors were unable to find anything sweet, throughout the hunter-gatherer period they may never have tasted much sweet food.
Honey then?
- It is sugar but this is a quantity issue. A teaspoon of honey is not dangerous. It is no worse than a teaspoon of flour; it contains as much carbohydrate.
What if we are vegetarians?
If you eat dairy products, then it is quite OK. That way you are getting animal fat and proteins. Some eat eggs and that's great. It contains all the essentials we need. Some eat fish and then it's even less of a problem. Vegans I think will be malnourished.
You have become a missionary!
- Yes, I will save the world. Not alone of course, but with all the others who have realized the same thing. They accuse us of greed because we eat so much meat. But we say: replacing carbohydrates with fat doesn't make you fatter. Don't throw away the fatty edges of your ham or pork chops because the fat is so energy dense, it satiates you and then you actually eat less. Eat cheese with butter but avoid the bread,because that's only carbohydrate and it's the carbohydrate that stimulates your appetite and makes you hungry.
What about the environmental claims that more cows belching is contributing to global warming?
Throughout history, there have been grass-grazing animals. There are no more now than before so it can not be responsible for the greenhouse effect. They were here first and should have the right to exist. Think of all herds in savanna
How will you save the scientists?
-When I get people to understand how to eat to be healthy there will be pressure on them from below. When professors are isolated in their advocacy of low fat diets, they will be forced to resign. We'll start with Sweden and will see if it spreads throughout the world.
What is your motivation?
- To save humanity. Saving the life of just one person by a change of diet makes it all worth while and when it is thousands, it is a thousand times more worthwhile.
Where did you get your courage?
- It must have been from the very beginning. I'm not trying to generate courage that I didn't have. I simply have never been afraid of anything. I come from a religious family. I had crossed swords with my father who thought one should do as the book says. There were a lot of generational clashes. But these trained me to have my own opinions and to argue. I have never been religious or a believer. It's not not in my blood.
What is the meaning of life?
- To live well and reproduce ourselves while doing as much good as we can for our children.
You were in the "Cold Facts" on TV in the autumn. What did you think?
- It was good, It was brave of those journalists who dared to have an open mind and not just believe received opinion. So often journalist listen to me and then go to a professor. Because he has the higher status it's his views that are accepted.
How do you start?
- The simplest method is to increase the natural fat, going from margarine and edible oils to butter. Start by increasing your fat intake before reducing the carbohydrates. The point of this is to prevent hunger. It is so very important that our bodies have available a source of natural fat. For every cell in our body each individual cell membrane is composed largely of natural fat. This is vitally important for the whole of our body's function, including the brain. What we see when we eat in this way is that we become happier and more stable in mood and function much better mentally.
How do you and your family eat?
- The rest of my family are slim and healthy. It is OK for them to eat more carbohydrates than I am. I boil potatoes for my husband and abstain myself but otherwise, we eat the same. He eats more bread than I do.
Do you eat bread?
- Yes, I can eat a little thin crisp bread occasionally.
What are the most dangerous temptations?
- Bread is the most difficult for many, but it is a habit. Some find sugar triggers a need for bread and have a kind of addiction. When I am at home, I don't have a problem It is when I go off to a party But I can manage to eat a PIECE OF CAKE and nothing more, while others may trigger addictions by starting with such a large intake. Then it is easy for them to slip into the old bad habits again, and then they become sick.
How would you like your life look like in ten years?
- I hope that all our lives have become better, that we will all be eating better. I am convinced that if my high fat model is adopted our dependence on the the pharmaceutical industry will drop to a minimum. And the food industry also will have to adapt.
Five more of Annika's thoughts on
... Stephan Rössner (Swedish nutrition scientist.)
He is very prestigious. Scientists stick to their own kind, but they do not know to what extent is he has financial ties to the food industry.
... WEIGHT WATCHERS They are, as an organisation, frightened of fat. I do not think we should eat low fat, but we should eat low carbohydrate.
Food Administration
I think it is corrupted by the food industry which controls the food administration.
Sweden's Health service.
They are better than the Food Administration because they came to the conclusion that this diet is OK. They do have a certain scientific integrity
blogging
It is very good that you can write what you want online, that everything is free. It is the ideal communication. Anyone can start a blog. Mine is no longer the most popular. Diet Doctor has overtaken me. But we write about the same things He is a complete genius and has a very professional blog. However there has been a lot of hassle on my blog - saboteurs have been inside. Because he is not as militant as me, he hasn't attracted as much anger.

I was interested in the section about how to start where Annika makes the point that one should start by first increasing your fat intake BEFORE starting to reduce carbs so you get better control of hunger cravings. I missed that when I did it.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-09, 14:59

BF:

Thanks, Ted, for investing all this time into this translation. Interesting stuff! Funny how there are actually all these low-carb/high-fat advocates dotted all over the place: Lutz in Austria; Janiewski (or however you spell his name) with his very high-fat diet; Dahlqvist and Uffe Ravnskov in Sweden; Dr Briffa and Barry Groves in the UK. Here in Germany we have a guy called Nikolai Worm, who advocates a moderate carb lifestyle, with a bit more emphasis on the Glycemic Index than suits me, but what the hell, the direction is OK!

amanda
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 14:25

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Does anyone happen to know if there is any more information about the yogurt? For instance, should it be whole milk yogurt? Unflavored? How about that pricey Greek Yogurt I occasionally see at the store?

How often would anyone be permitted to eat such a higher carb food?

Thank you.