Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 04:17
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%
Default Beginner's Full Body Weight Lifting Routine

This is a routine put together by my friend MariAnne Anderson, aka "Built" on the internetz,

Just one option out of many programs out there, but it's quick, easy to learn, and gets the job done.

From her blog-
http://builtblog.wikidbody.com/2007...e-body-workout/

Basic whole-body workout

If you just don’t know how to start, or you’re between plans and don’t know what to do next… use this whole-body plan three times a week and follow with a little steady-state cardio. You’ll find this workout efficient and effective - and it won’t bore you to tears!

And nary a kickback in sight.

THE WORKOUT
The following movement pairs are all balanced “push” and “pull”, and compound (more than one joint is involved) - so you don’t have to waste time doing “triceps” or “calves”, at least not for now.

“1″ and “2″ are pairs of antagonistic movements (push and pull) - I’ve arranged the workout this way so you can see the balance, and so you can easily vary your workouts without changing the basic structure (see below, under “Options“)

—>”A”: quadriceps and hamstrings

A1 Goblet squats (quads, glutes)
A2 Romanian dumbbell deadlifts (hams, glutes, lower back)

—>”B”: Vertical pull and push (lats and delts)

B1 Negative self-assisted chins (lats, bis, abs - vertical pull): stand at the squat rack or smith machine with the bar at eye level. Use any grip you like, so long as it’s shoulder width or narrower . Get to “up” any way you can, bend your knees and use the tops of your feet for an assist, slowly lower until you come to a dead-hang. Get back to “up” and repeat.
Alternative: lat pull downs, same hand placement as above.

B2 Arnold presses (delts - ie shoulders, bit of triceps - vertical push)

—> “C”: Horizontal pull and push (back and chest)

C1 One arm dumbbell rows OR seated cable rows (back, biceps, horizontal pull)
C2 Low incline dumbbell press (chest, triceps, horizontal push)

—>”D”: those dreaded abs

D Bosu ball crunches: Sorta like this, but no twist.

NOTES
The first pair of movements are quads (extensor) and hamstrings (flexor).

Next two are lats (vertical pull) and shoulders (vertical push).

After that are horizontal pull and push: back (horizontal pull) and chest (horizontal push).

Because all pushing movements also hit triceps, and all pulling movements also hit biceps, there’s no direct arm work in this setup. Calves and tibialis (your “shin-splint” muscle) get a hit with squats, deads, and cardio - so we’ll leave then alone for now, too.

Because we’re using free weights, the body has to work as a system rather than as a collection of individual bodyparts - there’s a lot of overlap between movements, and this overlap will take care of the odds and ends. You may find you like doing a little bit of concentration work for the odd “part”, but let’s leave that for your next plan.

There’s really no need to do a whole lot of dedicated “core” work with this routine either - yet another perk that comes with free-weight training. You can’t train off a gut - that part is diet - but a little bit of weighted ab work will give you something to show off once you diet off the fat! Train your abs in heavy, weighted sets, just like you’d train any other muscle.

Finally, a little post-workout cardio and you’re done. The whole workout should take you less than an hour.

METHOD

* This is a three-day-a-week plan. Ideally, rest at least one day between workouts.
* You may choose to integrate carb-cycling into this plan, although it is not necessary. Of course, if you do, the workout days will be your high-carb/high calorie days. For some, this provides an added incentive to train.
* There is no good reason to get on a treadmill before you lift - cardio is not very good preparation for lifting - save that for after you lift. If you’d like to try something more effective, I suggest you use this dynamic warmup-and-stretch protocol. It’s short and to the point, and there are little videos for most of the movements so you can see how to do them.
* Do your lifts in alphabetical order:
A1 and A2
B1 and B2
C1 and C2
D
(and then cardio!)
* Do three sets of 5-8 reps of each movement, with 1-2 minute rests between sets. THIS IS NOT IRON CARDIO!!!
* Start light, but try to increment the weight as possible. So - when you CAN do 3 sets of 8 goblet squats and you’re not crippled the next day, increase the weight and do three sets of 5. Work it back up to 3 sets of 8. Rinse, lather, repeat.
* Finish each workout with 20-minutes on any cardio machine you like, at moderate intensity. Fast walking on the treadmill is fine - I do about 3.7 MPH at a 5% grade. No need to jog - ever.

OPTIONS

* For each pair of movements, alternate between starting with movement 1 or movement 2.For example, for the first pair, you may choose to start with either squats OR Romanian deadlifts.
* Perform movements in either “straight sets” or as “antagonist pairs”. For example - Suppose you start with goblet squats and then do Romanian dumbbell deadlifts. You could do them like this:Set of 5 squats, rest a minute, set of 5 squats, rest a minute, set of five squats… then move on to the dumbbell Romanian deadlifts and do a set of 5 deads, rest a minute, set of 5 deads, rest a minute, set of five deads… then move on to the next two movements.

~OR~

* You could do a set of 5 squats, rest half a minute, set of 5 Romanian dumbbell deadlifts, rest half a minute, set of squats, rest half a minute… until you’ve done all your work sets… then move on to the next pair and do the same. It’s up to you. I like working in pairs sometimes, speeds up the workout a bit. But it’s just an option. Either or will do. You can alternate from workout to workout if you like.

ADDITIONAL EXERCISE SELECTIONS
For any of a number of reasons - boredom, injuries, lack of equipment - you may want or need to look for optional movements. Feel free to mix and match to suit your needs - just stick to the basic guidlines of “quads”, “hamstrings”, and pushing and pulling movements in horizontal and vertical planes. Here and here are a couple of websites you can use to look up these (and other) exercises.

Finally, if you’d like to consider some other cardio options (such as high intensity interval training or hill repeats), read here and here to see how you can build them into your plan.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 04:39
muscle bound

At first glance, it may seem complicated, but it's really not. Just 7 exercises, done for 3 sets of 5-8 repetitions (reps) each. As a brand-spankin' new beginner, you might want to just start with 2 sets of 10-12 reps for the first week or so, to help you learn the exercises and gain confidence. Then the 2nd or 3rd week, add a set.

Then the next week, drop the reps a bit (as you increase the weight lifted). 3 sets of 5-8 reps should be your goal, meaning you'll try to lift at least 5 reps of a weight. If you can't lift 5 reps, it's too heavy. If you can easily get 8 reps, time to increase weight. You should try to always end a session feeling like you left "one rep in the tank"--you don't want to intentionally lift to failure.

In the above article, MariAnne has one doing "goblet squats". This is a really good squat variation for the beginner to learn form with, and I would STRONGLY recommend watching this little video about squatting. It's a seminar by a well-known strength coach, showing how ANYONE can squat with full range of motion and perfect form. It's a bit long (the video), but at about the 10 minute mark he shows how to do "goblet squats". His other variation, called "potato sack squats" is also worth learning.

View it here:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...ed&hl=undefined

The video in MariAnne's article showing how to do Romanian Deadlifts (RDL) is fine, but it shows a guy doing it using a barbell. For watching it done with dumbbells, see here (first he demo's a regular Rom. DB DL, then a 1-legged version):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VblKqts2xDI
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-08, 04:47
muscle bound

For the chin-ups--these are REALLY hard for newbies, especially women, as men generally have more upper body strength. However, chin-ups (and pull-ups) are GREAT for helping us build strength.

The exercise MariAnne outlines in the article--"Negative Chin-Ups"--are a great way to help you get the benefits of chins when you can't yet do a real one.

However, sometimes even the negative chins are impossible--when I first got back into training after the last baby, I couldn't do negatives. I'd get to the top, try to lower myself in control, but just fall down. I had to build up my general strength first.

So, if you can do negative chins, that'd be best. If not, you can do the lateral pull-ups she listed as an alternative, or, if you don't have access to that machine, you can try some of the ideas discussed in this article by Krista Smash-
"Mistressing the Pull-Up"
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 12:27
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Wow, that looks like a GREAT, and very efficient workout. Only prob is, it includes equipment I don't have access to.

In other words I need substitutes for the deadlift and the lat pull down/negative chin.

I have hand dumb bells, up to 10 pounds. (I imagine the lat pull down/negative chin is hard to duplicate.)

Maybe I will check into the price of a barbell (I probably don't even need to add weights at this point).

I'm willing to do just about anything to get these thighs and this butt looking better...short of joining a gym which is OOTQ right now.

Oh and is OK to split the upper and lower body? Or must be done as one workout?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 16:16

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Dane, thanks was looking for a workout for a newbie - did BFL a few years ago, with very good results, only I don't have the programme any longer.... is the pyramid system workout out of fashion now?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 05:28
muscle bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Wow, that looks like a GREAT, and very efficient workout. Only prob is, it includes equipment I don't have access to.

In other words I need substitutes for the deadlift and the lat pull down/negative chin.

I have hand dumb bells, up to 10 pounds. (I imagine the lat pull down/negative chin is hard to duplicate.)

Maybe I will check into the price of a barbell (I probably don't even need to add weights at this point).

I'm willing to do just about anything to get these thighs and this butt looking better...short of joining a gym which is OOTQ right now.

Oh and is OK to split the upper and lower body? Or must be done as one workout?

I workout at home, too--gyms here don't offer childcare, and this way I can lift on my own schedule. A barbell would be helpful in the long run--there's just so much more you can do with it; however, dumbbells, either a few more sets up to maybe 25-30# or adjustable ones, can take you a long way. In the deadlift video I posted, the guy demo's how to do romanian deadlifts using dumbbells, and once you master them, you can progress to the 1-legged kind.

As for working your lats--dumbbell rows will hit these, and if you can do some version of chins, even better. But if not, just do the rows. Or, you can get a strong resistance band and loop it over a door and do pull downs with that (you can get progressively thicker bands to increase resistance), and you can use your dumbbells and a bench (coffee table?) and do dumbbell pullovers.

The only piece of equipment that is a must-have for a good workout is a set of dumbbells--either adjustable with a set of weight plates, or else individual sets in increasing amounts. I started out with (and still use sometimes for certain exercises) a set of 5#, 8#, and 10# dumbbells coated in colorful (pink! lol) neoprene. When I realized I needed more, I found it cheaper (and better) to buy a set of adjustable w/plates--they're not that expensive, and you won't outgrow them,

Now, that above workout is just to give one a starting point. You can sub out exercises that work the same muscle group by looking up the muscles/exercises at http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

If you want to do an upper/lower split, you can--just divvy it up. You could even add a few more exercises if you want. I alternate between a full body w/o like the one above, and an upper/lower push/pull split.

To build a great butt, you'll want to do some version of squats, and lunges are also good. I'm proud of my butt--I carry most of my fat on my belly, but here's what squats and deads did for me-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg butt avi metallic.jpg (3.5 KB, 40 views)
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 05:39
muscle bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyDown
Dane, thanks was looking for a workout for a newbie - did BFL a few years ago, with very good results, only I don't have the programme any longer.... is the pyramid system workout out of fashion now?

BFL is a good program for newbies, too, and you can still find the workout online, I think. I have the book, bought it forever ago--the problem I had with it was (at the time) his set/rep scheme and hitting a high point was a bit confusing for me.

Pyramiding is just another technique--not really good or bad. Not really that helpful, IMO, though, because if you're new to lifting you might have a hard time figuring out/keeping track of which weights you want to use, and you might end up cheating yourself--skimping on using a more challenging weight just because you're not sure about that last set. A simpler method is to just give yourself a set amount of sets and reps to complete, and do it. Note down if it was too hard, too easy, or just right, and adjust accordingly for next workout.

I'm all about Keeping It Simple,
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 07:08
Registered Member

Wow you do have a great butt! My butt is pretty disgusting, really, almost totally flat and jiggly. My daughter (5) has the most beautiful round butt. So cute in jeans. My Russian neighbor was commenting on it the other day and I said, "Mine used to look just like that...my nickname in middle school was "bubble." She said, "What happened?" Hardy-Har. Russians are very frank.

The resistance band over the door...that's a great idea. But will it slip and slap me in the face? I will get the band next time I go to Walmart. They have a set of 3 for about $10 that will be plenty of resistance for me at this point.

I will check out a barbell next time I go to Walmart, too.

Are split squats as good as lunges? I can't seem to get the lunge right. I never step far enough and my knee goes over my toes or sometimes I will literally fall down trying to do them if I do step far enough. I hate them--and I am not a KLUTZ--but these certainly make me appear to be one. I just can't do them. But in the split squat at least I can set myself for the correct position ahead of time and I can place my hand lightly on a chair for balance.

I gotta tell ya I don't know what is different about that goblet squat. It looks like what I do, except I haven't added a dumb bell yet. I even bring my hands up to that position. I also do plie squats.

All the different kinds confuse me: front squat, back squat (which is also the barbell squat?), goblet squat...sheesh, I can't keep it straight.

Last edited by ElleH : Mon, Mar-17-08 at 07:22.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 09:30
muscle bound

Quote:
The resistance band over the door...that's a great idea. But will it slip and slap me in the face?
Heh, I've actually had that happen--always check the band for tears before use, and I made a point to always turn my head to the side when doing these, just in case. The only resistance bands here (that I can find) are fairly thin, crappy quality rubber. You might want to look at specialty sport stores to see if they have some of the heavy duty ones that powerlifters use.

Quote:
Are split squats as good as lunges? I can't seem to get the lunge right. I never step far enough and my knee goes over my toes or sometimes I will literally fall down trying to do them if I do step far enough. I hate them--and I am not a KLUTZ--but these certainly make me appear to be one. I just can't do them. But in the split squat at least I can set myself for the correct position ahead of time and I can place my hand lightly on a chair for balance.
Oh yes. I totally know what you mean. I used to avoid lunges/split squats like the plague, but I finally found a good form video on them, and now I really like the split squats (also known as the stationary lunge). Check out this little video--it's really helpful.
Lunges/Split Squats
It's only 4 minutes, and the guy (well-respected trainer, Craig Ballentyne) talks about how to start as a beginner, how to progress to more difficult ones, and how to do them safely for knees (and discusses the "knees past the toes" issue).

Quote:
I gotta tell ya I don't know what is different about that goblet squat. It looks like what I do, except I haven't added a dumb bell yet. I even bring my hands up to that position. I also do plie squats.
Did you get a chance to watch that fitcast video I posted? He goes into great detail about goblets, and they are really different than the squats presented in most fitness vids. He shows you how you're squatting down deep between your knees, feet flat on the floor, and in doing so, you will naturally keep your torso upright. He also shows how to find the squat stance that is more natural for you--for me, it's wider stance, feet pointing outward at an angle. For a lot of beginners just starting to squat, they have a problem either getting low enough, or they are inflexible to the point that they tip forward. Learning form with goblet squats will correct this. Once you master form, you can progress to barbell squats. Barbell on the back is a back squat, holding it on the front of your shoulders is a (more technically complicated lift) front squat. The plié squat you're talking about is like a wide stance squat, except your feet would be pointing totally out to the sides, not at an angle. The plié is really not a good squat to add weight to, as your center of balance will be screwy. Wider stance squats will hit your adductor (inner thigh) muscles hard anyway, so better to stick with them, IMO.

LOL at the million versions of squats. Yeah, it's hard to get bored,
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 14:47

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

For those who can't (like me) invest in weight equipment, many city parks have weight rooms that can be used by the day or month like here in Indy. Check with your city parks department to see if they have a similar program!

Here is an example of what we have here, maybe you can find something similar in your neck of the woods!
http://www.indyfitness.net/Programs/Adults/fitness.htm

And yes, I did take advantage of the belly dancing class!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 17:18

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 906%

Dane,

Thanks for posting this! This is day two of training and I must admit I feel reborn...sore as hell but reborn. Since I have my eating under control but am not losing very much. I am a believer in the necessity of physical exercise in order to obtain optimal physical health. But often get bored with routine. I am thrilled at how efficient this work out is and afterwards I really feel like I worked out hard!

Thanks again!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-08, 19:43
Registered Member

Dane, I did what I could do of the upper body exercises today during the intervals of my WATP interval DVD. It was fun! It was GREAT to hit those large muscle groups. I also used my heaviest weight (10) for the one-arm rows (which I did 4 sets of to compensate for not being able to do lat pull downs or reverse chins) and I was still able to do 3 sets of 8 (twice) a little too easily with the 10's. Chest presses, too, they were a little too easy. I guess I'm stronger than I think I am! I used 8 pounds for the Arnold's and completed 3 sets of 8 but was feeling it by the last half of the last set--probably shoulda used 10's for the last set. It kinda hurt in my lower back to do the abs on the ball...maybe that will get better? I like the way it felt, however, to have to stabilize myself while I did the abs. Does it help to do the Arnolds on the ball? I guess I'm wondering if doing anything that requires sitting would be good on the ball to call on the stabilizing to help the core by association?

Here's what I did:

One arm rows
Arnolds

One arm rows
Chest presses

Abs on the ball

Tomorrow I will do the lower body with the interval workout. I will also work on keeping my back straighter with the squat. I'm sure I lean too far forward in an effort to push my butt back and keep the weight on my heels... I love those plies. I do feel them in that inner thigh!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-08, 04:04
muscle bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuukuu
For those who can't (like me) invest in weight equipment, many city parks have weight rooms that can be used by the day or month like here in Indy. Check with your city parks department to see if they have a similar program!

Here is an example of what we have here, maybe you can find something similar in your neck of the woods!
http://www.indyfitness.net/Programs/Adults/fitness.htm

And yes, I did take advantage of the belly dancing class!

Wow, that's awesome! $3 a day for the weight room is good, if you wanted to see if you'd like it--better deal is the pass thing. The "Intro to Weights" class "geared towards women" makes me a bit leery--men and women shouldn't train differently. However, it may be a good option for those shy or wanting personal instruction to the weight room. If the instructor teaches proper form and decent exercises (as opposed to silly isolation pumping moves that won't do anyone any good) then it'd be worth it.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-08, 04:10
muscle bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bflawless
Dane,

Thanks for posting this! This is day two of training and I must admit I feel reborn...sore as hell but reborn. Since I have my eating under control but am not losing very much. I am a believer in the necessity of physical exercise in order to obtain optimal physical health. But often get bored with routine. I am thrilled at how efficient this work out is and afterwards I really feel like I worked out hard!

Thanks again!

Hahaha yeah I noticed Mistress Julia is cracking her whip on you!

Seriously, once you focus on the heavy compound moves, do them with intensity and increasing weight, you WILL see results, and quickly. You do need to keep your diet in check if you want to lose fat, but IMO the results you see from heavy lifting (esp. the initial "firmness" of the muscles, as the fat within them is used up) motivate you to stick to plan.

As for getting bored--the best thing you can do is try to find a core group of exercises you like, one for each major muscle group, and stick to them for 4 to 6 weeks. Focus on hitting the muscles hard, and increasing the weight, like it's a game, a personal challenge for yourself. After the 6 week period isup, you can switch exercises and do it all over again. You DON'T need to switch up exercises to "fool" your body--it's really psychological. And it's hard to track your success if you are switching exercises from week to week. In the beginning, though, this is ok as you are learning exercises and form, and what you like and don't like.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-08, 05:02
muscle bound

Quote:
Dane, I did what I could do of the upper body exercises today during the intervals of my WATP interval DVD. It was fun! It was GREAT to hit those large muscle groups.
I'm glad you liked it! It IS fun--makes you feel rrrrrrroar and powerful.
Quote:
I also used my heaviest weight (10) for the one-arm rows (which I did 4 sets of to compensate for not being able to do lat pull downs or reverse chins) and I was still able to do 3 sets of 8 (twice) a little too easily with the 10's. Chest presses, too, they were a little too easy. I guess I'm stronger than I think I am!
HA! That doesn't surprise me--we do tend to underestimate our strength. I bet 15#er's would be good for you. Esp. back and chest--large, strong muscle groups. Now, shoulders are a bit more sensitive, and you won't be able to lift the same weights as for chest/back.
Quote:
I used 8 pounds for the Arnold's and completed 3 sets of 8 but was feeling it by the last half of the last set--probably shoulda used 10's for the last set.
Mmmm hmm. Do arnolds first in your workout, so that your shoulders are fresh. Make sure when you bring your arms around in front of you at the end of each rep that you do it under control, and not let momentum swing the weights around--good way to tweak your shoulder. Next time, you can try the 10#'s first, and aim for 8 reps. If you can't get all 8, then next set use your 8#. If you CAN get all 8 reps at 10#, then try the 10# for the 2nd set, and see how many reps you can do. If you can only do 4, or 5 or whatever, fine. Then drop to your 8# for your last set. Then the next workout, you'd see if you could get all 3 sets for 8. Or not,
Quote:
It kinda hurt in my lower back to do the abs on the ball...maybe that will get better? I like the way it felt, however, to have to stabilize myself while I did the abs.
Most likely, it's just from stressing your lower back in a new way, and the pain is just normal doms (delayed onset muscle soreness--normal and fine). It does go away in time as your body gets used to it--eventually you'll be able to do 3 sets of 8-10 reps bodyweight only, and then it'll be time to add weight. Focus on form with these, exhaling on the crunch part, contracting your abs tightly. The first time I got back to these after pregnancy, I was SO SORE from my boobs to my *bleep*,

Quote:
Does it help to do the Arnolds on the ball? I guess I'm wondering if doing anything that requires sitting would be good on the ball to call on the stabilizing to help the core by association?
General rule of thumb--standing recruits more "core" than sitting, while sitting may be a little easier on your back. Sitting also keeps you from "cheating" up the weight--sometimes while standing, you might catch yourself swinging your body a little, using momentum to get the weights up. Don't do that, I do all my work standing, but when I started I did a lot of sitting.

Doing weighted exercises on the swiss ball (or the bosu half moon ball thingy) is not really smart, IMO (with the exception of weighted crunches, and then you need to lock your feet around something). Since you are trying to balance, you won't use heavy weight, and then what's the point? LOL If you want to work on your balance, flexibility, and "core", than do a pilates or yoga video on your off days.
Quote:
Here's what I did:

One arm rows
Arnolds

One arm rows
Chest presses

Abs on the ball

Good good--I would suggest you do arnies first, and superset them with dumbbell pullovers. If not pullovers or resistance band pulldowns, you could do some rear delt shoulder work instead, like rear delt rows (since rear delts don't get much action):

Quote:
Tomorrow I will do the lower body with the interval workout. I will also work on keeping my back straighter with the squat. I'm sure I lean too far forward in an effort to push my butt back and keep the weight on my heels... I love those plies. I do feel them in that inner thigh!
Holding a dumbbell vertically (as in the goblet squat) will help you keep your torso more upright. Another trick is to stand with your heels slightly raised (I used a doorsill when I first started;a flat 2x4 would work, or weight plates--something heavy that won't move around on you)--this also helps keep you balanced.

Oh, another fun thing to add to the end of your lower body day, for "core" strength (and hits your hams/glutes, too), if you have time, is something called SHE (Supine Hip Extension) or the harder version, SHELC (Supine Hip Extension with Leg Curl) using your swiss ball. Do it for reps with body weight--it's harder than it looks.

The top is SHE, the bottom is SHELC