Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 22:54
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 268/198/205
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
The truth is out there and it comes with a low carb label on it.

That was a very good article. From a different point of view Rustspot, no doubt some will view low-carbing with same skepticism applied to any other panacea - I'm just making an observation, not a judgement. The truth may be in low-carbing, but I think it might be better captured by:

Quote:
Their weight loss is more likely to be served up on a shovel than a silver platter. Long term, significant weight loss takes digging.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 00:30

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Excellent article!

She mentioned everything I have thought about as I have read various posts on this forum.

Change, any change has to come from the inside out, not the other way around. No matter what it is.

Thanks to lisaf for finding and Nat for "making" us read it!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 07:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Enlightening

A great article, it should be required reading. I guess some of those questions that I asked when I started would have been in the silver plater area. But a funny thing happened, I decided that I could live my life this way, that eating just meat and salads was not enough for me and that I had to find a way of eating that satisfied my body and my mind. I enjoy my coffee so when I tried giving it up it really bothered me so I drink it again now. I don't like breakfast so I don't eat it. I like a salad with my lunch but not with supper so I eat vegetables and meat and I've never been a sweets person so unless it's a special occasion I steer clear of them. I've learned water is important and that vitamins are too. The exercise will come when I'm ready, in the summer I race competively on a sailboat so all I have to find is something I like to do in the winter.
All in all, I've realized that I have begun to dig and now I know what I'm digging for, not the quick fix but for life that will constantly be changing for the better.
Yours Truely Jo-Ann
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 08:21

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi all -

I'm glad everyone liked the article (thanks for deciding to post it Nat). I strongly recommend the other articles she has written on the CarbSmart site - insightful, smart and not afraid to say what needs to be said. If you haven't been before, I suggest you go. There are a number of other contributors who are fun to read as well.

Have a great day!

Lisa
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 12:06

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default Great Article.... THANK YOU

Razzle wrote:
I get an urge to toss a brick every time I see an add for those electronic stimulator ab belts on TV. Yeah, if you're 50 pounds overweight, that's all it'll take to get flat abs.

--------------------

Have you seen the newest commercial with these things? Two slobs sitting on the couch watching TV, wearing them around their abs. Next Scene: Same two slobs ......wearing them on their heads. Very funny commercial. I have no idea what it was trying to sell but it certainly wasn't an ab-belt. LOL

Libby

Last edited by Libbyfcr : Fri, Mar-08-02 at 12:18.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 05:12
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

It's the right time of year for this article again!

Enjoy!

Beth
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 08:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

Very good article! I have been suffering from an increased "frustration" level as I read alot of posts lately. I have been trying to hold that back... as everyone deserves respect and courtesy... but sometimes I just have to walk away from the thread... because what I really want to say is ...

"PLEASE READ THE PLAN BOOK THAT YOU ARE FOLLOWING!" It's obvious you have not done any homework and you want us to wave our magic wands and do it for you (no work on your part!).

"WHY DID YOU ASK THE QUESTION IF YOU ARE GOING TO REPEATEDLY DENY THE NEED OR THE SUGGESTIONS?"
This one drives me crazy. "gee I am eating five low carb bars a day and not losing - but that is NOT the problem!" LOL!

Okay... I needed to say that ... not directed at anyone in particular - just some pent up frustration spilling out! LOL!

I need to copy this article and keep it handy.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 08:29
Registered Member

Stats: 197/156/147 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%
Default The AbTronic

Hi,
Great posts....

Here's an interesting article from the Toronto Star:
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Co...epath=News/News

In short, Thane Direct, the makers of that stupid belt thingee...has been sued by the Canadian Competiton Bureau. They have to return the money to anyone who bought one - since the product is a piece of garbage....The US FTC has sued them too.

Thank goodness there's some sanity out there eh!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 09:26
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Great article! I get so frustrated by the posters who think they should lose 50 pounds in two months. I figure it is going to take me at least another two years to get to my goal weight -- the first 50 pounds took almost six months and my rate of loss will certainly slow down. I've noticed that the people who join the board with unrealistic attitudes are also the ones who disappear after a few weeks. They're just not ready to take control of their lives yet -- instead they are looking for a miracle to take control for them.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 09:45

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Excellent article!

It's taken me 19 months to lose 75 pounds with a lot of ups and downs along the way and a great deal of being willing to change things on my part. I still have 45 pounds to go to get to my goal and I would be thrilled to make it by the end of this year, but don't believe that's entirely realistic. I'd be happy (and have set this as my goal for 2003) to be down another 30 pounds by next Christmas (that's a little over 1/2 pound per week) and perhaps hit my goal by summer of 2004. That may seen like incredibly slow weight loss to some, but as long as the scale keeps moving downward, who cares how long it takes me? I'm eating well and feeling great while I lose! We live in a society that has been weaned on instant gratification (what do you mean I can't lose 50 lbs. in 2 months??? Product X says it can achieve that for me!) along with a sad lack of personal accountability (I give you the fast food chain lawsuits as an example). Bottom line is that nobody can motivate me to do this but me and nobody can make it happen but me. I have to do the grunt work myself and I alone am accountable for the results that I get.
Can we make this article a sticky? I think it's a great read for any low carber!

Last edited by Lisa N : Tue, Dec-31-02 at 09:49.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 10:53
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

I'm still LOL about the abtronic thingee commercial...

You don't know how tempted I was to actually write the check for that thing. Now when I look at how many rolls of fat I expected that little buzz to get through, it makes me laugh at how I was willing to do ANYTHING!! Even electrocute my stomach and expect it to get flat!!

The alternative was a good one for me...thanks for the article.

#27   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 11:34

Stats: 295/189/185 Male 70"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Beth,

Thanks for bringing this thread back. Good reading!

Happy New Year!

BrewWa
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 13:48

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

LOL...I wasn't even tempted with that abtronic thing...it just looked like an expensive torture device to me. Somehow the thought of shocking my abs into submission just didn't sound like something I'd want to do.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 09:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Great article.

Sometimes, it's really frustrating when you see someone who you know is looking for a quick fix. It's really hard to word replies because no one wants to be told that. I 'made' one person leave this forum a few months ago, because she didn't like having it suggested that her expectations were totally unrealistic.

--
Kristine, sporting a Nerf Cluestick.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-03-03, 12:52
Run Spot, run!

Stats: 168/151/150 Female 67 inches
BF:32%/27ish%/21-25%
Progress: 94%
Lightbulb Just what I feeling today

DoubleD wrote:
Very good article! I have been suffering from an increased "frustration" level as I read alot of posts lately. I have been trying to hold that back... as everyone deserves respect and courtesy... but sometimes I just have to walk away from the thread... because what I really want to say is ...

"PLEASE READ THE PLAN BOOK THAT YOU ARE FOLLOWING!" It's obvious you have not done any homework and you want us to wave our magic wands and do it for you (no work on your part!).

Just today, I had to abandon the Newbie's question section for that very reason... I was checking everyone profile to see if they had read... and getting really concerned with people who haven't read the book advising other people that haven't read the book! Arghh!

I've only been LC-ing since 9/2002... so I'm not expert... and my head is especially swimming today because I have been rereading DANDR and I'm noticing so many contradictions in suggested menus and what is listed in the Rules of Induction.

Hugs to all our patient mentors and members here who take the time to gently say "READ THE BOOK!"