Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 07:54

Plan: Atkins / M&E
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

This is such an interesting thread.

I've been weight lifting for years and I am either blessed or cursed (depending upon how you look at it, I suppose) with FREAKISHLY large muscle-mass for a woman. It's very easy for me to add muscle mass. I've heard about slow-burn here and there, but just don't know enough about it to move forward - guess a Google search is in order. I used to cardio myself to DEATH and just recently cut it back to 3 30-minute cardio sessions a week, in addition to 2 strength-training sessions. I do the cardio 'cause I feel like I "have to" - I do the weight training 'cause I ADORE IT. Hmmmm.... lots to think on from this thread....
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 08:37

Plan: Personalized
Stats: 190/178/170 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreddy
I'm not sure that anyone is making that claim.

I'm no expert in the science department, and I can't speak for Fred, Gary, et. al, but I am pretty sure their position is that you need exercise -preferably HIT style-to fully train all of your muscle fibers, and you need to look to your diet to decrease body fat, and to help build lean tissue. Exercise for strength, diet for weight loss and body composition (ie, get enough protein to recover from your workouts and maintain/build lean tissue). Both combined addresses all the risk factors you need to worry about.

The beauty of slow burn is that it works both the type I fibers-the ones you work when you do loads of steady state cardio, and type II fibers-the ones that get worked when you lift very heavy loads. And it covers it all in 20 - 30 minutes, once or twice a week (I prefer 2x per week.)

Re: HIIT, it seems to me that that's just another way to provide very intense work loads to your type II muscle fibers. If you're doing slow burn or any similar HIT style training, you've got that covered already, without the pounding on your joints, and without a Jamie Hale style maniac shouting at you.

And yes, it does work for me. Works for pretty much anyone who gives in an honest effort.

Any speed of exercise will work both type I and type II fibers depending on the volume/intensity.

Anything will work for a few weeks whether you lift weights slowly or quickly. This notion that moving a weight deliberately slowly is vastly superior in perpetuity is ludicrous. Periodization is the key to continued success. If you haven't lifted weights before - you will improve drastically no matter how slow or fast you move the weight. If yoiu you've been moving a weight quickly, you will likely see some good results by switching to a slower protocol for a while.

There are many reasons to move a weight quickly - particularly on the concentric phase.

From Chad Waterbury

Explosive concentric muscle contractions may be more effective than slow contractions for enhancing energy-expenditure responses for weight loss when using resistance exercise.

In a study between a faster tempo and slower tempo lift:

The slow contraction group produced significantly higher levels of lactate, yet the total energy expenditure (during the workout and at 5, 10, and 15 minutes post-workout) was significantly greater for the explosive group. The total oxidative energy expenditure and anaerobic energy expenditure were also significantly greater for the explosive group.

This research demonstrates that explosive lifts are better for fat burning even though lower levels of lactate were produced. That's some exciting research!

The take-home point is that, not only are explosive lifts good for building strength and muscle, but you'll also burn more fat than slower lifting.

you'll recruit more motor units with each repetition. You'll be less likely to convert your intermediate (type IIa) fibers into the puny, type I endurance fibers. Third, you'll build more strength endurance instead of endurance strength.

To use only slow tempo training is to limit your potential. Give me 6 weeks and I can help improve your strength, endurance, power, body composition, mobility and function. That challenge goes out to anyone currently doing a slow burn, machine-based protocol.

Lifting explosively requires the recruitment of many additional muscles to stabilize your body. This builds total body stability
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 08:39

BF:
Progress:

That last note was mine. I challenge ANYBODY doing the slow burn protocol to train with me or someone else that understands periodization and functional training and I guarantee I can get you stronger, leaner more mobile and more functional.
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 08:59

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars
That last note was mine. I challenge ANYBODY doing the slow burn protocol to train with me or someone else that understands periodization and functional training and I guarantee I can get you stronger, leaner more mobile and more functional.

I've read dozens of postings in these forums that the ONLY way to 'really' lose weight is through Slow Burn. I can't accept that as the Whole Truth & Nothing but The Truth, as I've lost substantial amounts of weight a couple times in my life and have never lifted weights.

But here you are saying that even Slow Burn is NOT the end all, be all?

Since you seem to be extremely knowledgable, could you advise a book for a total clueless newbie - something even a 12 year old could understand and follow?

Thanks.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 11:23
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Well... it's tempting to think that whatever works is good, and there is probably more than one road that actually 'works'. Guess it just comes down to what someone prefers.

But whether they prefer traditional weightlifting (explosive movements, periodization etc.) or slowburn style workouts, note that neither of those are "doing aerobic exercise until you puke." Thankfully.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 12:57

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
I started at twice a week, and made steady but slow progress. Then I watched a video on YouTube of this incredibly ripped guy doing his Slow Burn routine (and after a while I watched the routine instead of him ) and realized I had been babying myself. Not unusual, I think, for women uncomfortable with grunting and making faces - in public anyway.

I also realized I had been trained to always try hard to succeed, no matter what. In my day, in a man's world, we always had to work twice as hard to prove ourselves. But in the case of Slow Burn, I had gotten it backwards. True success equals failure, and more important than my getting to the magic number '6' was to up my weights enough to fail much sooner.

So I did. And began to move really amazing weights - usually failing at 2.5 for the first time, and only allowing myself to get to '4' before upping the weight again. After a few weeks of this I discovered that I could no longer work out twice a week - my muscles truly needed a full week of recovery as they grew ever more dense and hard. Exactly as Hahn predicts in the book. He says a once a week routine is even better than twice a week, and that you'll 'know' when your body is ready for it. I didn't understand that when I read it, but I do now.

And this week I'm moving on to the next stage, which isn't in the book but a tip I picked up on his site/forum: Failure plus 1. After I fail, I'll rest for exactly 1 minute, and then try to complete another full rep if I can. If I haven't completely shredded the muscle with failure - that should do it.

Lisa

was that one of Fred's videos? he's got a few out there.

I hadnt come across that failure plus 1 idea, I'll try that next workout. Sometimes I'll do what they call drop sets, that is, another set after failure, with the weight set a bit lower.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 13:02

Wink

Quote:
Any speed of exercise will work both type I and type II fibers depending on the volume/intensity.

Anything will work for a few weeks whether you lift weights slowly or quickly. This notion that moving a weight deliberately slowly is vastly superior in perpetuity is ludicrous. Periodization is the key to continued success. If you haven't lifted weights before - you will improve drastically no matter how slow or fast you move the weight. If yoiu you've been moving a weight quickly, you will likely see some good results by switching to a slower protocol for a while.

There are many reasons to move a weight quickly - particularly on the concentric phase.

From Chad Waterbury

Explosive concentric muscle contractions may be more effective than slow contractions for enhancing energy-expenditure responses for weight loss when using resistance exercise.

In a study between a faster tempo and slower tempo lift:

The slow contraction group produced significantly higher levels of lactate, yet the total energy expenditure (during the workout and at 5, 10, and 15 minutes post-workout) was significantly greater for the explosive group. The total oxidative energy expenditure and anaerobic energy expenditure were also significantly greater for the explosive group.

This research demonstrates that explosive lifts are better for fat burning even though lower levels of lactate were produced. That's some exciting research!

The take-home point is that, not only are explosive lifts good for building strength and muscle, but you'll also burn more fat than slower lifting.

you'll recruit more motor units with each repetition. You'll be less likely to convert your intermediate (type IIa) fibers into the puny, type I endurance fibers. Third, you'll build more strength endurance instead of endurance strength.

To use only slow tempo training is to limit your potential. Give me 6 weeks and I can help improve your strength, endurance, power, body composition, mobility and function. That challenge goes out to anyone currently doing a slow burn, machine-based protocol.

Lifting explosively requires the recruitment of many additional muscles to stabilize your body. This builds total body stability

if it works for you, that's all that's important!

Why dont you send me a protocol for say, just my arms. I'll try it out for six weeks and let you know if I get amazing results.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 13:33

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
I've read dozens of postings in these forums that the ONLY way to 'really' lose weight is through Slow Burn. I can't accept that as the Whole Truth & Nothing but The Truth, as I've lost substantial amounts of weight a couple times in my life and have never lifted weights.

But here you are saying that even Slow Burn is NOT the end all, be all?

Since you seem to be extremely knowledgable, could you advise a book for a total clueless newbie - something even a 12 year old could understand and follow?

Thanks.

Hi lil annie!

I think the most important thing is to do some research, try some things out and continue to change and progress.

The foundational aspects of lifting should include postural work, proper mechanics (ability to squat and deadlift and generally move in an efficient movemnt pattern).

Focus your efforts on learning the basics of free weight, body weight, cable, tubing exercises - one's that promote the greatest amount of recruitment and that utilize a summation of force from stabilizers.

Learn how to engage the core muscles to help protect your back. This entails being able to fire up all layers of the abdominal wall in unity.

Work on mobility - increase joint range of motion where you need it and stabilize the joints that are too loose. Include release work with a foam roller or lacross ball where necessary.

Lift a minimum of 2 times per week - full body workouts. No need to waste time on isolation movements unless they are specifically for a weak area.

I think the important thing is that no one system is superior. There is an art and science to training and we must learn how to continuously improve through manipulating the training variables. You will inevitably limit yourself with any parameter that is pre-ordained.

A few books I highly recommend are:

New rules of lifting for Women (Schuler, Cosgrove)
Starting Strength (Rippetoe)
Maximum Strength (Cressey) - this one is a little more advanced but has some amzing protocols for mobility work.
Athletic Body in Balance (Cook) Again a little advanced but some great concepts.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 14:06

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:

....A few books I highly recommend are:

New rules of lifting for Women (Schuler, Cosgrove)
Starting Strength (Rippetoe)
Maximum Strength (Cressey) - this one is a little more advanced but has some amzing protocols for mobility work.
Athletic Body in Balance (Cook) Again a little advanced but some great concepts.

thanks much!!
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 15:58
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
I've read dozens of postings in these forums that the ONLY way to 'really' lose weight is through Slow Burn.

Annie, I believe you may have mis-read those posts, since there's not one on this forum that talks about Slow Burn as an exercise for losing weight. However, many posts have stated that it is exceptionally good for losing fat, especially stored body fat.

Quote:
could you advise a book for a total clueless newbie - something even a 12 year old could understand and follow?

Sure: http://tinyurl.com/d865y9

Easy to read, lots of pictures, even a plan you can do at home if you don't want to work out at a gym.

Lisa
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-09, 15:59
Registered Member

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 225/158/145 Female 65
BF:53%/24%/20%
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreddy
was that one of Fred's videos? he's got a few out there.

Fred's a good-looking guy, no doubt - but this guy was a hunk.

Lisa
  #72   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-09, 08:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by awriter
Fred's a good-looking guy, no doubt - but this guy was a hunk.

Lisa

oh, that must have been my video then...