Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 11:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Ketones and the brain

A great blog entry by Dr. McCleary
Becoming a Brain
During recent human evolutionary history (about 1.5 million years ago), the human brain increased in size by 33% in less than a million years. For this extraordinary expansion to occur required exceptionally favorable circumstances. By any measure, the modern human brain is large. Brains generally increase in size as body size increases. However, the human brain is about 3.5 times larger than that of chimpanzees which, as adults, have a lean body weight not very different from ours.

This massive expansion is even more remarkable when the nutritional demands it places on the body are considered. In adult humans the brain weighs 1400 grams, or approximately 2.3% of the body weight. However, it consumes almost one quarter of the body's daily energy requirement. In infants this disparity is even greater. At birth, the brain weighs 400 grams and constitutes 11% of the body weight yet consumes almost three quarters of the energy intake! Thus, any theory of human brain evolution must account for the environmental circumstances that would allow our ancestors to commit a large, disproportionate and continuous nutrient supply to the brain, especially early in life.

Most theories are plagued by the 'chicken or the egg' dilemma. This refers to the fact that hunting, tool use and other more cerebral pursuits have been considered as being forces that drove this rapid brain expansion. However, for these to exist in the first place, a large brain would have been a prerequisite. So how did improvements in brain anatomy and wiring develop before a larger brain existed that would have facilitated the formulation of higher brain functions? And how could this have happened over such a brief period of evolutionary time? Moreover, the main period of brain expansion was during late fetal and early post-natal development. At this stage a bigger brain would not have conferred any survival value.

Recent clues have suggested the role of a nutrient dense diet. This meant a diet higher in meat and fat with a lower plant content. As a possible means of procuring such a diet, hunting would have exceeded the mental capacity at this stage of development and brain size. A likely solution for attaining a high quality diet without the necessity for a sophisticated procurement system appears to be a shore-based diet. This meant exploiting the abundant, sustained, and easily accessible food supply at the waters edge. It probably involved harvesting bird eggs, mollusks, and crustaceans which were nutrient and energy rich. This diet could have been easily harvested by humans of all ages, both genders and required no special skills or bodily strength.

Because of the incessant demands for a nutrient and calorie dense diet, especially during the most rapid period of brain growth perinatally, during a time of absolute dependency, it was vital to prevent periods of nutrient deprivation. This is of interest in light of the fact that although the brains of newborn humans and chimps are similar in size, human infants have about one pound of body fat. Body fat is almost nonexistent in chimp newborns. This fat store provided calories that could last for three weeks and thus constituted a formidable buffer against environmental variability. Fat deposition in the human fetus accounts for 90% of the weight gain leading up to delivery. This represents an exceptional metabolic commitment and suggests that it somehow facilitates the survival of the infant.

From a caloric perspective, the brain is able to utilize glucose but can't tap into fat or protein sources to any degree. It does posses the metabolic machinery to generate energy from ketone bodies, which are compounds that occur due to partial fat combustion. These are efficiently burned in the brain and can provide 30% of its caloric demands during the newborn period. Ketones are also a source of carbon for the synthesis of brain lipids and cholesterol that comprise a large fraction of neuronal cell membranes. Neurons work by being active electrically. Most cells manifesting high electrical activity (such as neurons, photoreceptor cells and cardiac cells) have a high concentration of DHA (docosahexanoic acid-a long chain omega 3 fatty acid that provides membrane flexibility and function). The DHA concentration in the fat stores at birth is higher than it is at any other time. A shore-based diet provides a continuous supply of this vital nutrient for the synthesis and recycling of neuronal membranes and synaptic connections.

These dietary demands are vital at birth, but are no less important for the aging brain. High energy requirements and the demand for a nutrient dense diet with abundant long-chain omega 3 fatty acids are critical for optimal brain function and act to slow brain aging. The efficiency with which the brain metabolizes glucose declines as we age. If energetic demands are to be successfully met as we age, ketone bodies are an ideal fuel source because they generate energy with lower oxygen use and are delivered to the brain via a different transporter than glucose uses. For these reasons current dietary choices should more closely mirror the shore-based diet responsible for the rapid evolution of the flexible thinking machine we call our brain.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 12:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

His book, The Brain Trust Program, has about 20 pages devoted to ketones. He even has a recipe for ketogenic diet.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 13:10
Experimenter

BF:

I should be getting that book pretty soon, if the UPS truck would hurry up.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-07, 13:26

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Fat makk gooder brainz. Kewl!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 09:32

Plan: Primal
Stats: 200/129/125 Female 163cm
BF:26
Progress: 95%

The brain also contains 25% of the body's cholesterol and so demonstrates admirably the need to keep cholesterol levels high to avoid degenerative disease like Alzheimers.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 09:47

Plan: CAD/IF
Stats: 320/262/180 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 41%

I am reading his book, The Brain Trust Program, and find it very interesting. He discusses issues not only about protecting the brain from age, and improving memory, but also such things as migraines and hot flashes.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 11:12
Experimenter

BF:

That's why I bought it. My sister suffers from migraines and I'm going to go through menopause soon, plus my energy levels had been problematic.

I gotta say, he's right about MCT's... if I have a tsp of coconut oil my body temperature seems to shoot up and I feel great! I can lower the thermostat a bit. Only problem is... it gives me diarrhea! Argh!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 11:22
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I mixed coconut oil with good chocolate (cocoa) and sweetzfree, used a silicon mini-donut pan, and made these little candy-like 'rings'. Kept 'em in the butter section in the door of the fridge. Any time I had the sweet-munchies, or wasn't really full from a meal, or needed more calories in my day, I'd grab a couple. They were really pretty good and I'd forgotten about it until now. If I must ingest the stuff, using chocolate as a vehicle sounds good to me. ;-)
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 11:28
Experimenter

BF:

It doesn't give you the runs?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 18:26

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I doesn't give me the runs. TMI: I almost wish it would...constipation is an issue for me. I think it is due to a messed up thyroid. Bleh.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 21:30
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Never noticed anything like that associated with it.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 21:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It gives some the runs as it kills off yeast in the digestive tract ... you may want to start with no more than 1 tsp at a time & slowly build up to 2-3 Tbsp per day (over 2 weeks or so).
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 21:48
Contributing member

Plan: IF/LC
Stats: 269/222/170 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I tried CO for the first time yesterday..and I had this really DIFFERENT Warm feeling..like warmth spreading thru my veins. It wasn't BAD, just odd..

Sounds like that is to be expected, huh? Ok..Haven't noticed any ill effects..but I was sooo queasy yesterday, and that was BEFORE the CO...I think I caught a bug.

I've been looking for the coconut bark recipe but haven't stumbled on it yet..can someone post a link/recipe?

I'd appreciate it!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 21:59

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I make my own sugar-free CO-chocolates or bark like this:

1-2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate (or 3-6T unsweetened cocoa), depending how chocolatey you like it
12 Tbsp coconut oil
1/8-1/4 tsp stevia powder
nuts (optional)

Melt, stir, let cool a bit, pour into icecube tray or silicone mini-muffin pans (or onto a large baking pan to make a thin bark), harden in the fridge, release from tray and store in a baggie or other container. Yum!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-22-07, 22:13
Experimenter

BF:

I get the runs on 1 tsp. Seems like my "yeast" must have taken acting lessons from Gloria Swanson, the death scene is going on way too long.