Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 10:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/177/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Terrible Joint pain

HI eveyone! I have been low carbing on and off for over a year now and have lost over 60 pounds. I am really trying hard to lose the last bit now. Several weeks ago i developed knee and elbow pain while doing atkins. I decided to go off the diet for the holidays and i noticed the pain went away. I went back to atkins 5 days ago and the pain is back.

I'm 31 years old and have never injured my elbow or knee. I am only taking a once a day multivitamin at this time. Does anyone know why this could be happening and if there is anythign i may be lacking in my diet or supplements that could help with this.

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 10:59

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

This is a bit of a long shot, but speaking for myself, I tend to slack off exercising when I don't watch what I eat as closely as usual. Do you do that? Because if you took an exercise break along with your diet break, maybe your exercise is causing joint pain. I've hurt myself exercising without being aware of it at the time. Maybe your joint pain a low-grade inflammation or mild injury related to exercise. Or maybe mild arthritis?

Rachel
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 15:43

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Are you taking your fish oils?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 17:58

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodit
HI eveyone! I have been low carbing on and off for over a year now and have lost over 60 pounds. I am really trying hard to lose the last bit now. Several weeks ago i developed knee and elbow pain while doing atkins. I decided to go off the diet for the holidays and i noticed the pain went away. I went back to atkins 5 days ago and the pain is back.

I'm 31 years old and have never injured my elbow or knee. I am only taking a once a day multivitamin at this time. Does anyone know why this could be happening and if there is anythign i may be lacking in my diet or supplements that could help with this.

Thank you!!

Umm, when I began Atkins, I had periodic bone pain. I credited the pain to the fact that maybe my bones are getting harder. I don't know why I had the pain but I continued the diet regardless. Now, go back to my pre-Atkins days, I had lots of joint pain in my wrists and knees. Now 5 years later, my bones feel good. I have no joint pain. It has nothing to do with weightloss because my wrists do not support my weight unless I am on top of my husband and when I am in that position, there is no pain. So my theory is, you will feel worse before you feel better. But again, that was MY experience. Now along with that story, I had to have my knee xrayed because of a work injury. The doctor was impressed with my healthy bone mass at an age when I should have signs of osteroporosis.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 18:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:

Thank you!!

It is possible that you are sensitive to arachidonic acid.
This is from the old Protein Power website (I am not sure if the link still works. ), but as Atkins is very similar to PP, the same info applies.
Quote:
Can I really eat all the red meat and egg yolks I want?

Most people can. However, there are a few concerns to keep in mind. First, you can't do the Protein Power Plan halfway. You can't increase your protein foods haphazardly and continue to eat carbohydrates as you do now and expect to see results. In fact, you'll be worsening your problems if you do so.

Second, there are some people who may have problems with large amounts of red meat and large quantities of egg yolks. These people: have elevated blood pressure and/or cholesterol, retain abnormally high amounts of fluid, and/or suffer from inflammatory conditions such as skin rashes, asthma, allergies, bursitis, or arthritis.

It's not the cholesterol in red meat and egg yolks that is the problem. It's the fact that they are high in arachidonic acid, which can promote or worsen the above conditions.

Here is the strategy for these folks to follow: Eliminate red meat and egg yolks from your diet completely for three weeks. At the end of the three-week period, take stock of your health. Has it improved? Eat a large portion of red meat and eggs for a couple of meals and observe what happens. If your problems reappear of get worse, you are sensitive to arachidonic acid and should have these foods only once in a while. When you do have them, make sure to remove as much of the fat from the beef as possible. Grill the beef. This will reduce the arachidonic acid by as much as 35%. Another option is to marinate the meat in a combination of red wine and olive oil or light sesame oil for 24 hours before grilling.

As far as eggs are concerned, have no more than one or two whole eggs at a sitting, and eat egg whites the rest of the time. Also, you should avoid margarine altogether (as everyone should).
http://eatprotein.com/faq/effects.html#meatandeggs

Taking fish oil should definitely help, too.

Roz
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 18:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%

wierd. I have nerve pain and bone pain when I eat something high carb now...just the opposite.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 18:14
Think Pink

Plan: ♥Calorie Counting
Stats: 265/195/175 Female 5' 10"
BF: a few
Progress: 78%

This struck my interest as I had some horrible hip pain for years after doing Atkins - I'm not saying it's related - BUT - I always said wow I've lost weight I thought my hips and joints would feel better. I had epidural shots, pills, lyme tests, inflammation tests (all fine), and went to see a chiropractor (who I might add had helped). Anyway, since the summer I've been following a low cal/low fat (not low carb) diet to get to goal and my hips feel fine? Don't know if it's a coincidence or not?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 05:39

Plan: Stillman's South Beach
Stats: 190/133/133 Female 5ft 9in shrunk!!
BF:
Progress: 100%

I too have suffered joint pain; it went on for ages...I mean at times it was really sore. My ankles, my, wrists, just about everywhere hurt. I'm not sure what the cause was, but then I started the Vit D experiment (not for the bone pain I should add), after a few days I noticed a considerable difference and after a week the pain had gone. The only problem was I gained 6lb that week even though I stuck to plan (A induction). I put it down to there being something in the vits and so I stopped taking them and sure enough I lost 4lb in two days. I started taking them again and then gained 2lb...So finally I quit them yesterday. I'm down 1lb today...I wonder if the joint pain will return. By the way I was taking:
Vit D3 7,400 IU as cholecalciferol
Vit A 25,000 IU from fish liver
Calcium 1,500 IU
Chromium Picolinate 600ug
Vit C crystals (pure L-ascorbic acid) 75000% RDA
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 06:11

Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I get severe leg cramps if I eat something high carb, but apart from that I used to have incredibly stiff and painful joints BEFORE I started low carbing, it stopped completely within days of starting Atkins
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 10:16
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I have a friend that is the opposite, she gets joint pain when she's not low-carbing, low-carbing clears it up.

I think Rosebud's idea has some merit. Has your red meat & egg consumption increased since low-carbing?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 16:40

Stats: 227/177/150 Female 66
BF:

Thank you all so much for the responses!

I don't consume much red meat at all. I'm a chicken/fish kinda gal. But i do eat eggs everyday. Maybe i should switch to eggbeaters.

I'm going to google this a bit. thanks so much for your thoughts on this!! It just might be the acid...
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 22:15

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Thank you all so much for the responses!

I don't consume much red meat at all. I'm a chicken/fish kinda gal. But i do eat eggs everyday. Maybe i should switch to eggbeaters.

I'm going to google this a bit. thanks so much for your thoughts on this!! It just might be the acid...

Pork is pretty high in that acid so if you are eating a lot of it then it will give you joint pain. So will nightshades as well (tomatoes, peppers, etc).

I've had to give up pork as well as nightshades otherwise my arthritis flares up badly.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-07, 22:17
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Aspirin interrupts the arachadonic acid cascade. If arachadonic acid is the problem then popping a couple of aspirin will cause a dramatic reduction in pain.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-07, 00:27

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9

I get joint pain from grains, specifically, gluten grains.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-07, 07:53

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I get joint pain from grains, specifically, gluten grains.
Me too. I also noticed the problem with pork, but not eggs.