Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 05:41

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally posted by canamer
Absolutely NO gelatin. This is a baked cheesecake. Contains only cream cheese, eggs, vanilla and Splenda (and a dash of lemon juice if you like it - I don't).

I made these for my partner. One cupcake with sugar, one cupcake with Splenda. She couldn't tell the difference! Actually said the sugar one was the sugar free one!

3 - 8 oz blocks of Philadelphia cream cheese
3 eggs
1 1/4 c. Splenda (or less to taste)
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp lemon juice (opt. - not included in carb count)

Whip together until smooth and creamy! Mmmm. Yummy uncooked if the egg issue doesn't bother you!

Bake in large muffin cups (filled about 3/4 full) at 350 for 15-18 minutes (or until set)

Makes about 18 cupcakes at 2.6 carbs each (I believe)

If you want an additional topping on the cheesecake, the recipe calls for an additional sourcream topping.

TOPPING:
1 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp Splenda
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix and spread on top of cheesecakes and bake again for 3-5 minutes.

Kati,

This looks like a great recipe...I'm going to try it. Please note, however, that the carb count is a little higher than you have listed. Probably the Splenda...Splenda says less than one carb, but it has .5 per teaspoon, courtesy of the maltodextrin filler. That means that there are 1.5 per Tablespoon, 4.5 per quarter cup and a whopping 26 in a cup. So, you will have to add 30.5 carbs to the basic recipe and another 3 if you use the topping.

Hope this helps,
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-01-02, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 170/150/145 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Smile

I used to make frozen cheesecakes for the restaurant I managed. I added flavorings and liqours, etc. Altering the recipe is simple to make it wonderfully low carb...

Take your basic cheesecake recipe from any good cookbook (I use Joy of Cooking) and substitute splenda for sugar. For the crust you can use any of the low carb bake mixes.

Some ideas for flavors...
Low carb extracts are perfect (vanilla, peppermint)
or
I've never tried this but how about melting some unsweetened chocolate and mix in some splenda (and maybe a little butter??? or maybe not), let it cool in a thin layer on a cookie sheet then either cut it or break it in to little peices... instant no carb chocolate chips to make chocolate chip cheesecake.

I have always liked to freeze my cheesecakes before serving. I like to serve them still mostly frozen (just thawed enough to get a fork through).

Shelley
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:09
Registered Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 177/166/135
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Boy oh Boy

I love checking in on everybodies recipe ideas. Can't wait to try these two cheesecake ideas. I LOVE CHEESECAKE!

Rene'

ONE DAY AT A TIME! And I can't fix yesterday.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 16:59

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:

Quote:
This looks like a great recipe...I'm going to try it. Please note, however, that the carb count is a little higher than you have listed. Probably the Splenda...Splenda says less than one carb, but it has .5 per teaspoon, courtesy of the maltodextrin filler. That means that there are 1.5 per Tablespoon, 4.5 per quarter cup and a whopping 26 in a cup. So, you will have to add 30.5 carbs to the basic recipe and another 3 if you use the topping.

I goofed on my figures. There are 6 grams of carbs in 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons, or 12 teaspoons) and 24 in a cup.

Sorry about any confusion.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-02, 18:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/224.4/180 Female 5 ft. 6 in.
BF:
Progress: 7%

I was just reading the cheesecake recipes (I love CHEESECAKE. I have made a dessert similar to Melanies above but I just put cream cheese heavy whipping cream (whipped) and a little vanilla, and some splenda add just a few nuts and drop by spoonfuls onto a piece of wax paper, stick them in the freezer until frozen, and then put them into a ziplock bag, then you have an instant frozen treat for those hot afternoons really good. You can add other extracts to flavor and I have even toasted pecans in a skillet with melted butter and then put them into your cream cheese mixture. It does not take long to toast pecans, to long and they will have a burned taste. But it gives it a wonderfully different flavor. This may not be new but it is good!!!!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jun-16-02, 19:33

Plan: My own LC plan
Stats: 322/290/200 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Kati,

Your cheesecake is wonderful! I made the cupcake version with the sour cream topping.

Always,Ela
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-02, 14:50
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins; Drs. Eades; varied
Stats: 120/113/115
BF:
Progress: 140%
Talking Canamer's cheesecake recipe

I made Canamer's cheesecake recipe last weekend for my son's 14th birthday party, and was it ever delicious! Fabulous and my son loved it. He insisted his teen friends have the traditional birthday cake, (which we bought). I crushed about 1/4 cup of blueberries in the blender with the same amount of sour cream and that was the topping.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 09:03

Stats: 245/204/140
BF:
Progress: 39%

Here's my Cheesecake recipe,,, makes a New York Style dense cheescake.

2 -packages of Cream Cheese (8 oz each)
2-eggs
1/2 Cup of granular Splenda
1-teaspoon of Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

For a crust use a combination of crushed nuts of your choice (pecans are delish) butter, a bit of splenda and cinnamon (add some cocoa for a choc crust)

soften the cream cheese and with a hand mixer beat at medium for 1 minute,, adding in the Splenda and the Vanilla Extract. Add the eggs one at a time making sure to incorporate it well and then turn mixer to high and mix for about 2 minutes more till well combined and it starts to look whipped a bit. Pour into prepare baking dish with crust of choice (I use regular ready make graham cracker crusts - I just pick off the crust for myself)

Place prepared cheesecake on a cookie sheet (or line bottom of oven with foil in case of spill over) and bake for 50-60 minutes till top of cheese cake is golden/starting to brown. Remove and let cool for about 20-30 minutes then place in fridge. Cheesecake will probably be puffy and then sink down and crack,,,, looks are decieving tho, lol.

I made this at Thanksgiving in the graham cracker crust for my family,,, not one person had any idea there was no added sugar in it! It was delicious.

Makes 8 servings
carb count approx per serving 5.1 (crust not taken into account.)
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 07:57
Registered Member

Plan: alittle of this, and alittle of that
Stats: 162/152/125
BF:dont know
Progress: 27%
Smile THANK YOU!!!!

HI EVERYONE!!
I AM SO EXCITED!! I JUST READ ALL ABOUT THESE CHEESECAKES, AND I AM SO HAPPY THAT I CAN HAVE MY SWEET TREAT IN THE EVENINGS. THIS IS GOING TO HELP ME NOT TO REALLY CHEAT AND BINGE!! I EVEN PLAN ON TRICKING MY HUBBIE. HE ALREADY TOLD ME THAT HE DOESNT WANT MY "FAKE" SUGAR CRAP!!! HEHEHE... I WILL LET YOU KNOW IF HE IS FOOLED!!
THANKS.
PAIGE17257
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 16:31
Registered Member

Stats: 227/184/135
BF:
Progress: 47%
Question Cheesecake

Would that wonderful baked cheesecake be OK on Induction? (I hope, I hope!!!)
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 17:08

Stats: 245/204/140
BF:
Progress: 39%

I dont see any reason why not? Just take the carbs into consideration.

I'm also working on a savory cheesecake that can be eaten for a meal.....bacon sounds good with some scallion added in for bite!

Let me know what you guys think, I figured something different, Quiche tends to get old real quick.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jul-22-02, 09:14
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Default Creamy cheese cake

I made this for my sister birthday on the 3rd with a blueberry glaze and it was eaten in a day. I hope you all like it as much as we did.
CREAMY CHEESECAKE
Crust: 2 cups nuts
2 pkts Splenda
3 Tbsp melted butter
Filling: 16 oz cream cheese
10 pkts Splenda
3 large eggs
2 teas. vanilla
2 teas. almond extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream
Place nuts in food processor; pulse til ground but not paste. Add splenda and butter and pulse to combine. Pour into 9" springform pan and press with fingers on bottom and up sides. Bake at 350 for 10 min. Remove from oven and cool. Place cream cheese and splenda in processor and process til smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, blending well after each. Add extracts and salt; pulse to combine. Add sour cream and pulse to combine. Pour filling into prepared crush. Bake at 350 for 40 min. Turn off oven, let cheesecake cool for one hour without opening door. Chill several hours or overnight. 8 good-size slices ~ 11 carb, 4 fiber, 540 cal, 50 fat, 14 protein. If you don't make the crust, counts are 4 carb, 292 cal, 27 fat, 7 protein.
This tasted like a real cheesecake, but I felt the crust overpowered it. I used a mix of almonds and pecans, and might just try a sprinkling over the bottom next time.
As the author of this recipe suggested I just placed the nuts( crushed walnut on the bottom) and I also left out the almond extract. The blueberry glaze: 1 pint of blue berries and 1/4 cup of water. Place in a small sauce pan. Add 5 packages of splenda(5 carbs) add 1 tbsp. of arrow root and blend. Bring to a simmer don't boil. Let glaze cool. This well help thicken it. It was worth the wait.
Donna
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Sep-08-02, 20:35

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

When considering whether or not to have "REAL" Cheesecake - meaning cheesecake with sugar, here's something to think about:

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
Just one thing you should remember when eating real sugar.....the insulin spikes. It may be under 40 grams of carbs but what does it do to your insulin levels?

Insulin in the blood stream means no fat burn. Is it worth it?

Sugar is YMMV and for a lot of us, like a drink to an alcoholic.

Marlaine
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-02, 06:26
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Splenda?

is hard to find??

Where are you from Kahuck? Splenda in US -even here in bfe, we have it at the local small grocery.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 22:22

Plan: atkins/somers/whatever
Stats: 193/149/154 Female 5 foot, 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 113%

YIPPEE!!!
My low carb cheesecake is cooking as we speak. I am looking forward to seeing if the kids can tell the difference!!!