Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-08-08, 05:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 332/303/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Deana,
My husband doesn't really understand it, but he is supportive. The older kids are proud of the weight that I have lost. My 6 year old keeps asking me "is that on your diet?" Sometimes I pretend like I am going to eat whatever treat she is eating at the time and she will tell me "mommy, you can't eat that, it's not on your diet".
I think that sticking to induction levels before is what ultimately led to my falling off plan, so I am glad this time to be experimenting with what I can and cannot eat. I can pretty much eat unlimited amounts of Low carb veggies whithout a problem. I have tried nuts and they don't seem to cause a problem unless I really over it. I only tried strawberries once as a dessert along with some cottage cheese and that did not cause a problem either. I wish that I could grow some of my own veggies to make this WOE a little cheaper, but having just moved in to our house, I think that will have to wait until next year. I was thinking about checking out the farmer's market over at the Clemson extention this afternoon to see what kind of selection and prices are over there. Have you found any local money savers in this area?
I hope you are having a wonderful day. ttfn. Suzanne
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jul-12-08, 12:40

Plan: Atkins/M&E/HCG
Stats: 233/186/160 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 64%

So how did the farmers market go? I'm not sure where that is at.

I've been to the one down town by the fair grounds. I went on a Friday so it was pretty dead (They way I like it, not too many people) there were still enough booths set up to get what I wanted. The one thing I found out was the people selling prefer to sell in bulk. Such as a flat of strawberries etc. That is way more than I could eat before they went bad. It's just my husband and I. So here in SC I'm still learing what is around. I'm used to FL there I knew where the good stores were and where to find things. The only health food store I've found is Rosewood. They have things such as flax seed in bulk. But I found it expensive. They did have a few sf items so I will be planning a trip over there in a few weeks. I need to splurge once in a while.

I love cottage cheese with some fruit and a couple drops of sweetzfree, makes feel possitive I'm not on a "diet". It's so sweet and yummy. I can't wait until I can start eating fruit.

My biggest problem with this way of eating is I'm not a cook. I'm not good with cooking meat. Sounds strange but I'm not comfortable with it. So I end up getting bored because I'm only comfortable cooking certain things.

Hope all is well with you.

Deana
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-08, 05:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 332/303/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 17%

I wound up not going to the farmer's market last week. I got sidetracked with the kids and forgot to go. I will try to remember to go this week. The one that I am talking about is at the Clemson extention facility on Clemson Rd right across from the village at sandhills. I think it is open every Tuesday from 3:30 until 7.
I have a few "treats" that really keep me from feeling deprived. My daily treat is first thing in the morning. My coffee in the morning with heavy whipping cream and davinci syrup starts my day off well. My occasional treat is a chocolate concoction that I mix up from time to time when I need something sweet.
I take some melted butter, a little bit of coconut oil, a little bit of cocoa, a little bit of peanut butter, and a little bit of vanilla davinci syrup. Mix them well, pour it in a mini muffin tray and put them in the fridge to get solid. It is similar in taste to Reese's cups, but the texture is different. Those really make me feel like there are special treats that are totally acceptable on this WOE.
I know what you mean about cooking different kinds of meat. I am not really good at cooking pork. I never can seem to get the cooking time exactly right. Steaks are a little tricky too. I love to eat them, but they are definately not my specialty. Rosewood market is good. There is also Earthfare over on Devine and The Fresh Market over on Trenholm. They all have a good selection of food, but are way out of my budget. These days I am having a hard time making ends meet with the prices at normal grocery stores. The thing that I wish that I could find is a place to buy beef in bulk (like half a cow) or fresh cream and eggs.
I hope that your weekend is going well. ttfn. Suzanne
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-08, 19:32

Plan: Atkins/M&E/HCG
Stats: 233/186/160 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 64%

(Northeast Farmers Market is open on Thursdays from 3:00 p.m. until 7:00 p.m. or later, in Town Center at Lake Carolina.)

Here is some information I found about another one near us. Sounds like the one you mentioned near Clemson only this one is on Thursday not Tuesday.

Neither one of them is good for me, by the time I get off work and back on this side of town it's not worth going out there so late.

I am off on Fridays so I'm thinking about going back to the market that's at the fairgrounds. Might be able to ask around there to see if anyone knows or if they themselves sell fresh cream, eggs and or meat. Those are the same items I buy every week and seem to be the most expensive. Oh and cheese. I look through all the grocery store add to see what is on sale and decide that way where I shop that week. I'm fairly fortunate in that I have a few choices in grocery stores that are all about the same distance for me. Where do you usually shop, Super Bi-Lo? I think it's the closes to you isn't it?

That treat you make is something I had forgotten about. I use to make them years ago the first time I lc'ed. Well without the coconut oil, back them the benefits were not know. They reminded me of reese peanut butter cups. Yummy.

Have you thought about starting a journal? Or is it not of interest? Just wondering, seems kind of strange to keep talking in here. Although the benefit of keeping the thread up top in case anyone else from Columbia comes in.

Deana