Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: my most dangerous carb food is:
sugar 337 44.81%
grains (including bread, pasta, etc.) 306 40.69%
potatoes 70 9.31%
fruit 39 5.19%
Voters: 752. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 08:11
Registered Member

Plan: Easy Low Carb Living
Stats: 158/118/120
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default Habits

The thing about habits is that they took a long time to form and become a habit, so it is likely that it will take a while before they are broken and new habits are formed. It seems so obvious that it is easy to forget.
I was a smoker years ago - it took me 5 or 6 tries over a couple of years before I finally did quit. And I haven't had even a puff of a cigarette since - I know it would be my downfall. I try to concentrate on all the positive things about not smoking, and now I am rarely even tempted.
I have had a similar experience with my LC WOL. It does take a while to stop the old habits of bread or baked goods or a baked potato - but the pay off is so huge in terms of health and wellness and weight and self confidence, that I am rarely tempted When I am, I try to review in my mind what all these pluses are, and then think about how I will feel if I indulge I know I will get bloated, have gas, maybe have symptoms of my digestive disease, feel sleepy, feel fuzzy headed - and then guilty or scared too So, the pay off of not feeling any of this, and maintaining my weight usually wins
I am as human as everyone else, and I do make bad choices from time to time. The other thing that I have learned is to forgive myself when I do, and get back on the LC wagon, so to speak.
A new habit is only formed over time by actually doing whatever it is we want to achieve. So, everytime that we opt for a LC food instead of a HC alternative, we are helping to create a LC WOL. After more than 2 years of living this way, it is truly automatic for me now, and the temptations are few and far between. And so many little tricks to make it easier are just second nature to me now. When I go to the movies (which I love), I just take a small baggie of nuts or sugar free candies in my pocket or my purse. So I don't have my popcorn anymore - I do have something to munch, and I always buy either a water or a diet drink. Like all new experiences, it takes some getting used to, but then you begin to think that this is the norm - your new habit is being formed
Just a few thoughts about how all this has worked for me. Just keep trying - it does become easier over time. And the rewards are fantastic
Cheers
Pat
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Thank you so much for the inspiration, I have been so determined on this WOL that I am starting to see a slight difference in how I look, also I have lost 3 pounds in the last 6 days and that is happiness
Today I went to the grocery store and bought some caffeine free teas... Both of them evening relaxers to try instead of the wine. I pray they will soon become a staple for me in the evening instead of the wine..... I realize it is going to take some time, but I am willing to hang in there just to feel better about myself again. I have to say I have received several letters of encouragement, and they mean so much to me . There is something comforting about knowing you are not alone in dealing with difficult issues. So thank you so very much for taking your time to encourage me.
Susann
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 14:44

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 245/227/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Tea

There is an amazing tea out there called "sleepy time" by celestial seasonings, you should give it a try, very soothing and relaxing! I just love it!
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 15:02

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

elora jade , osuzana
just be aware, some flavours (i'm not sure if its all) of celestial seasoning caffeine free teas contain barley malt which is another form of sugar which may or may not affect you
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 21:53
Registered Member

Plan: Easy Low Carb Living
Stats: 158/118/120
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default Keep Trying

Congratulations Sussan on your weight loss

Just keep trying and things do get easier. I also like the herb teas - they are better for you than regular tea which has caffeine, and they can help you fill full. Some of the flavors are delicious. For me, they also just provide me with something to do with my hands - other than put food in my mouth

It is really great to see once again what a supportive group this is. Good luck with your journey

Cheers

Pat
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Apr-25-02, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Mine has to be Mexican food! The combination of chips and guacamole makes my mouth water, and if it is in front of me, I will eat it...no choice there. I tried eating guacamole with pork rinds and it just doesn't work (too porky tasting).

And don't even get me started on enchiladas!

If we go out to eat I usually get fajitas or chili rellano's a la carte, but if there is guacamole on the table, it is all over...

-Shelly

PS My picture is, in fact, at a b-day party at a local Mexican restaurant. What you don't see is the shot of Tequila in my hand, nor the guacamole on the table...Not a good night for me Atkins-wise...
  #52   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 20:21

Plan: LC
Stats: 180/179/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 3%

Bread any type - any way
  #53   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 16:03
Pending Member

Plan: atkins (was on sommersize)
Stats: 145/153/120
BF:
Progress: -32%
Default CREAM CHEESE>>>>>>

any cheese. but CREAM CHEESE ! argggg
  #54   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 19:10

Stats: 300/225/150
BF:
Progress: 50%

I can resist high sugar items, and pastries (especially since I recently found out I'm very intolerant of cow dairy, grains and sugars. But fruit is extremely dangerous to me because 1. it is allowable, albeit in reduced amounts. 2. I find it hard to stop at a half or quarter of most fruits to stay within guidelines.3. I have my own fruit trees, and can get loads of free fruit. Arrrrggghhh!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, May-06-02, 08:55
Registered Member

Stats: 187/174/160
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default ooey gooey sweet stuff

I voted sugar although I can ignore it in most forms. However, there are these cookies made in my family that get me EVERY TIME!

They are called idiot cookies (or no bake cookies). Made on top of the stove with sugar, cocoa, milk, and butter (like fudge) and then peanut butter is added and oatmeal stirred in. When warm it brings me to my knees. I have also found that if I have a sugar elsewhere by accident or otherwise, it is practically impossible to resist the cookies.

Sad but true!!!

Kati
  #56   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 10:51

Plan: not sure yet
Stats: 208/208/180
BF:
Progress: 0%

grains, mos def.

cereal and bread--they are my favorite, and worst.

sugar is bad too. i love sweets, and can easily eat one thing, and keep going, and going....it isn't nice.

carbs suck...most of the time.

bye
  #57   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 09:09
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

Nachos
Doritos
Mc Donalds fries
brownies
fetticine with cream sauce
Rolo Ice cream
Grilled cheese sandwiches....kills me to watch the kids eat them
Cambels mushroom soup with tons of crackers
garlic bread *huge tough one*
potato salad
mac salads
CRAB salad
stuffing
peanut butter
fresh bread or rolls
baked potatoes with cheese and bacon in them
popcorn *yikes* bad one for me
homemade cookies *another *yikes*
any kind of pie.I will eat the entire thing at one sitting
butterscotch toffee
speghetti with sauce..*oh, yum*
pilsberry dough buns..*oh my gawd I miss these*

I'm sure there's more..lol..but this will do!

hugs...cin
  #58   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 10:17

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Default Popcorn

Popcorn is a huge trigger food for me, too. I can eat huge amounts of it in one sitting!
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 13:55

Stats: 161/146/135
BF:00/35%/24%
Progress: 58%
Default Potatos

I am the fomer french fry fanatic. Potatos use to cause acid reflux for me, that's one symptom that I don't miss. Still, I would love to endulge in a plate of fries with ketchup. Of course I won't, just dreaming.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 17:01

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Mine is a two-way tie betwen Potatoes and Grain. I loved potatoes. Thus, they appeal to me more than grain. But, grain OTOH causes wild cravings. If I eat 1 roll or biscuit...the whole basket will be empty in short order.