Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: my most dangerous carb food is:
sugar 337 44.81%
grains (including bread, pasta, etc.) 306 40.69%
potatoes 70 9.31%
fruit 39 5.19%
Voters: 752. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 08:23

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Chocolate...

I must agree that chocolate should be a separate category. Can we have a separate category for Big Kats actually? Those things are the bane of my existence.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 15:06

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation I should add chocolate as well

I'm back,

I already said that pastry in any form was it, but since we're adding chocolate as it's own group, I need to change my vote! I LOVE CHOCOLATE!!

I used to buy 2 Mirage bars at a time, because 1 wasn't enough.

My landlady works in the warehouse at Rogers Chocolates here in Victoria, and brings me chocolate all the time. I can't tell you how much my friends have been enjoying it lately! I don't dare keep it in the house. I will have a meltdown if I do!

One of the things that I like about the Suzanne Somers plan is that once you are in maintenance, you can have dark chocolate (low sugar), and that's my favorite! I can't wait!!!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 17:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/150/115
BF:
Progress: 57%

When I first started low carb dieting the chocolate was the hardest thing for me to live without. I truely believe it's the main reason I was over 80 pounds overweight as I can't seem to control myself when it's around. Now there are all these great tasting low carb chocolate bars on the market so I don't get the cravings nearly as bad. I count on needing to keep my house stocked with them for the rest of my life.

What does me in is bread, cookies and crackers. I have a almost 3 year old so of course these things are in the house and I sometimes find myself eating just one. I mean that is only 7 carbs right? But before I know it I have eaten 5 of them and my weight loss for that day has been pretty much blown. I haven't yet found a low carb bread or cracker that satisfies this craving though I do hope there is something out there.

I also would love to binge on fruit but have an easier time controling myself with it. Maybe becuase it's more filling?

Take care,
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 19:21

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey Elisabeth! Look out for those "low-carb" chocolate bars. They're loaded with carbs -- use the hidden carb tool under "tools" at the top of the page on the orange bar. Those blasted Carbolite chocoate bars have gotten me in trouble over and over again.

Just last night, in fact, I used a ketosick and it was pink. I then immediately ate three tiny squares of Carbolite chocolate and had nothing else, not even water. Twenty minutes later I tried a ketostick again out of curiosity -- NO PINK AT ALL. This is not the best way to test your reaction to a food, but it does give some indication of what's going on.

(For a real testing method, see Karen's thread on doing your own low-carb research. It involves stabbing your fingers for blood samples; I'm a coward.)

I currently get my chocolate fix by mixing whey protein isolate (zero carbs, zero flavor), super premium cocoa powder (some carbs, some fiber), a bit of sucralose, and water. I add a significant amount of cocoa powder to that mix. I call it chocolate milk and it makes me very happy.

Before you eat another bite of that chocolate, check for hidden carbs so you know what you're getting into.

Allison
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 22:02

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Thumbs up If you can find them...

There are three *excellent* lowcarb breads I enjoy. They're varieties produced by Natural Ovens of Manitowoc (based here in WI), and they sure solved my "no bread" dilemma.

Look for them in the regular bread aisle of your supermarket. The varieties are Hunger Filler (only 8 ECC!), 100% Whole Grain (9 ECC), and Sunny Millet (also 9). Someone at Natural Ovens realized the niche for lowcarbing, because the Hunger Filler label even reads "Our lowest carb bread"!!

I love 'em, that's all there is to it. Good flavor, wonderful texture, and they're tasty right out of the bag or toasted. Keep them in the freezer or the fridge for best "shelf life." Good hunting to you!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 22:26

BF:

Hi Allison,
Okay I guess I just don't get it. I am mentally scratching my head. I have here a atkins Endulge bar. Supposed to be 2 carbs but after doing the calculations it was over 6 carbs. But aren't those extra 4 carbs supposed to be undigestable? I know I used to measure my ketosis daily with the keto sticks and never noticed a difference when I had a bar.

Maybe some people metobolize things differently. My husband for instance can have over 80 carbs a day and still stay in ketosis but if he drinks a glass of wine he drops completly out of ketosis for at least two days. I, on the other hand, can't have that many carbs but can have up to three glasses of wine and stay deeply in ketosis as long as the rest of my carbs are around 20 - 30. His body just doesn't handle alcohol at all.

Karen I hope I can find that bread here. I tried some muffins which were decent but they were too sweet. When I was testing to see how many carbs I can have and still stay in ketosis I had one slice of whole wheat bread a day. It was wonderful. I hadn't realised how much having a slice of toast in the morning had been a part of my daily life till I did that. Once I am into maintanence I think that may be something I reintroduce to my diet. Just one though, 18 carbs for one item is really limiting. Now if I can find some other low carb bread..... I would be in heaven

take care,
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 22:45

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Cool Evil hidden carbs

I'll take a stab at the hidden carbs issue. I quit using *any* brand of low-carb bars quite some time ago--and I was a heavy user, too. I'd eat three or four of 'em in a day.

Yes, those "other" grams of carbs are supposed to be undigestible. They're glycerine, or sugar alcohols, or both. However, just because they don't affect your blood sugar/insulin doesn't mean they don't affect you at all. For me, they caused stalls. For some other folks, they stop ketosis pronto. Maybe you'll be one of the people they don't affect at all. If so, that's great for you. But it's still important to be aware of just how many grams of carbs you're ingesting. The only ones Atkins allows you to subtract from your daily count are those from fiber. These "hidden" ones still count against your daily total. So, if you've been counting 2g, and you eat four of those things that are really 6g, that's 24g of carbs already, not the 8g you *were* counting--and you haven't even had any veggies!

YMMV, of course, but for my money I'm way better off without the "fake food." I'd rather spend my carbs on good lowcarb bread and tasty veggies and unsweetened blackberries, than glycerine and sorbitol/maltitol/etc.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide about the bars. The main thing is to learn what works *for you* and stick with it.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 13:11

BF:

Wow! 24 Carbs! That really hurts. I rarely have more than 1 bar a day and usually only a few times a week. But every once in a while I eat several of them. I didn't notice a weight loss stall but I wasn't paying close attention at those times either. I am going to have to monitor this more closely. Thanks for the heads up.

I was wondering if you had a specific recipie for that chocolate milk you make.

Take care,
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 18:50

Stats: 295.5/287.5/142 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Chocolate.....

....should be restricted like cigarettes or liquor!!! Can't handle chocolate at all, but breads and pastas are a close second.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 06:34

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs down All the above!

I lived on fruit for many years, breakfast, lunch and a little for any snacks. It's hard to choose which one is the worst - I'd say all the above and chocolate (or is it that choc always comes with sugar).

Best to just stay completely off - albeit it feels hard some days.

Take care.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 14:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 223/140/140
BF:
Progress: 100%

Cheese Puffs,Pizza and fettutchini. can't stop with just one!
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 16:05

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%
Post Missing!

Chocolate and potatoes! Nothing really replaces them. Actually, I'm happy not to have them if no one else is. It's only on holidays that I want to relax and have a bit.

And Hot Cross Buns!
Last holidays I decided to relax and have a hot cross bun. It made me feel ill. I was disappointed and relieved at the same time!

Melberry
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 15:37

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Default Sweet and Salty...

...and Fatty. Hi, I'm Joanie and I'm a JUNK FOOD JUNKIE. Could happily eat that stuff morning noon and night forever (or until I died of malnutrition). My favorite is to take whatever sweet thing I'm eating and go back and forth with something salty. You know...Twinkies and Cheetos back and forth...or Krispy Kremes and Doritos, or M&Ms and potato chips. All very healthy stuff, all very low carb.

Now, it's important to state that whatever my junk item is, it has to have a lot of fat, too. I don't get excited about a piece of apple, then a pretzel (I do like apples and cheese, but not in that 'bing-y sort of way...)

Anyway, I didn't get fat eating just any old carbs. I got fat eating junk food. 'Nuff said.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 15:54

Stats: 181/175/150
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Bread, Bread, and more Bread.

I used to love bread. I loved it so much, I never had to put butter on it, took away from the taste. I would eat bread and olive oil for dinner, as my whole meal. Rice too. When I was growing up one of my favorite dishes was rice with milk, sugar and rasins. It was delicious!

I used to crave potato chips too. But now, if I don't think about them and find other comfort foods, like diet coke or cool whip. And when I am upset there is nothing better than chomping on celery.

I have been eating the Atkins Endulge chocolate bars, about .5 bar every other day (I do not crave chocolate). They do not seem to have any effect, I have stayed in moderate ketosis. But my weight loss has been slower than I expected, so I keep an eye on the chocolate bars.

No more bread, no more rice....
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 07:05

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Post Danger food...

I don't think it is any one thing, but what it is or the way it is presented for meself.
I cannot think of a single loaf of bread, cake, or pastry at the grocery store that I would have the impetus to buy, even if they were mystically transformed into LC, but walk by a French patissere with its heavenly wafts of crusty bread and jewel-like confection...
I am sure I have scared the patrons inside such shops, with my face pressed up against the glass, wild eyes peering in maniacally (I dare not step inside!) I should feel sorry for the man who cleans the windows... all that slobber.

Having said that, there is nothing like freshly made pomme frites either. I was of the opinion that chips have now grown palid and uninteresting. I discovered, again, that it has to do with how they are made. Cut to scene in French restaurant: My poor bf and I looking at each other, horrified, that I had thoughtlessly consumed a quarter portion of his pomme frites! My brain went blank, I guess. Reception problem! "You're going to be really annoyed at yourself," he says calmly. And I was. If I was going to 'cheat', I should have gotten the escargot encased in puff pastry!! Fade out scene to black.
Fortunately, they did not accompany me to the scale the next day, although I can't help thinking that I have impeded my own progress. Bad! Bad Sock!

Sorry... this isn't the confession line, but I just have to declare that danger lurks even in the most 'civilized' of environs, awaiting to deviously spring when you least expect it! Bwa-ha ha HA!!!!