Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 11:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

The best thing about being with Midwives, though, is that they'll let you try for 2.5 days and do all that they can to get that baby out as long as the both of you are fine. Many hospitals have a 24 hour policy, and if you haven't had that baby within 24 hours, you're having a c-section, whether or not you and the baby are in danger.

A birthing center close to a hospital is a great option. That way you can quickly transfer if needed, but really c-section is only necessary 5-10% of the time, but if you research c-section rates, many hospitals range within the 30-50% range...and that is bad news, that means if your labor isn't text book average or shorter, you're likely to get a c-section. I'm all for them when someone's life is at stake, but they're harder to recover from, and there is a very strong link between c-section and sensory disorders in children.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-11-07, 12:00
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

All good points, Koalaty. I did find the midwives extremely attentive and more approachable than my doc at the time.

Thankfully, even though I had c-sections for the other 2 kids (tried a VBAC, 3rd was elective c), all 3 seem to be normal as far as sensory stuff goes.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 15:30
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson65
I have been a lurker on this board for a while, mainly participating on topics involving low carbing during pregnancy and TTC topics. Well as it turns out I've just found out I'm pregnant and I'm trying to do as much research as possible because this is my first.

For all your mom's out there do you have a preference on labor and delivery methods? Like, water birth, midwifery, epidurals etc?

I'm not quite sure where to start but would like to get some input if possible.

Thanks!

If you're even remotely considering natural childbirth, I would recommend the Bradley Method book. Very informative, and the techniques were instrumental in my 3 natural childbirths. I never even felt the need for medications! I read that book so many times, practiced the techniques, and kept telling myself "my body is made to do this." I also refused to listen to friend's L&D horror stories. I would literally tune them out, or walk away if I could. I told myself mine was going to be different. It was wonderful, and I would not change one thing about any of my L&D's. They are 3 of the best days of my life--as weird as that sounds! I know that you're a believer, and you will never feel closer to God than when you're in labor, naturally, doing what your body was created to do. It's a very spiritual experience.

I would also suggest that you consider hiring a doula to support you your DH during this process. I had 2 doulas for each of my labors (with DH being an airline pilot I wanted to be sure I had good support if he was away when I went into labor, which he WAS for the first one, he got there in time for the pushing stage).

I would have probably been up for a midwife, a home birth or a water birth (heard wonderful things about all) but DH adamantly refused--his requirement (and it was his babies, too, so yes, he did have input) was that it be in a hospital and with and MD. So I searched out a group of OB's that were progressive and would allow me to be in control of my birth experience. It worked out well. Most OB's/hospitals are aware that some women want to have minimal interventions, and as long as everything is OK, have no problem with it.

I was advanced maternal age, but no other problems that put me at any risks.

Good luck whatever you decide. It will be OK no matter what. Everyone's goal is a healthy baby and mom so all alternatives have that goal in common.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 15:35
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

OMG...

I just read the post about stopping labor.

My DH was in CA when I went into labor and there were no more flights until the next morning. My labor was essentially painless for the first 12 hours, I realize now that I was "waiting" for him to come home! I dilated 4 cm during that part, which was wonderful. Then the baby was born 5 hours after that. He made it for the last 2.5 hours.

I realize now I probably could have waited longer, but the doula insisted I get checked after 12 hours of labor, then at 4 cm, the doctors insisted I go to the hospital. Of course, things got going as soon as I got to the hospital.

The rest of my labors were more efficient, b/c he was there!

Wow.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 20:32

Plan: Weight Loss Study
Stats: 203/134.2/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 94%

I had a planned c-section. Not my first choice, but my twins were both butt down so a natural birth was not possible. I went to 38 weeks and my doc recommended we deliver at that point. I was unsure whether I should wait a little longer, since I had no contractions or any inkling of my babies being ready to be born. I went ahead with my doctor's recommendation and was so glad I did. They were showing signs of TTTS and they were definitely ready to be born - 5.5 and 6.5 lbs!

I second the recommendation for Birthing From Within. It really helped me come to terms with the idea of a c-section and go through the process in a much more accepting mindset. It is a book that helps you anticipate all possibilities and be emotionally ready if your dream birth does not come to pass.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-07, 21:28

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Wow thanks ladies what good advise! I'll have to go to Barnes and Nobles and check out the books!

#22   ^
Old Fri, Aug-17-07, 06:39

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Also, check out any of Janet Balaskas books on Active Birth. Suitable for home or hospital birth, but will give you lots of confidence in your body's ability to do the job.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-16-09, 23:03
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalaty
get and read the book Immaculate Deception. It talks about all the issues with the various pain meds used during labor.

I had both of my children with a midwife practice at a large academic medical center. I have some health issues that rule out home birth or even a birthing center, but most of my friends go that route. If you want a natural birth, go that route. If you want to do everything humanly possible to avoid c-section (and I think that's the best idea), go the natural birth route.

Even though I was with a practice that encouraged natural birth, that encouraged mothers to consider not having pain medication, I still had an epidural with both of my children. For the first, I will say that it ultimately saved my delivery. I think without it I would have had the c-section. It is very difficult in the hospital setting to go through completely naturally. People can gently say "we can make you more comfortable"...

In the end, I don't think the epidural does much harm to the baby. But the real issue at stake is the critical bonding/breastfeeding time following birth. How does the epidural impact that? It can elevate the mother's body temperature, this is a fairly common reaction to it. However, when the mother's temperature is elevated, the medical staff assume infection first, whisk the baby off to the NICU, start a course of anti-biotics and separate mother and baby. There goes the critical bonding time, there goes the instinctive breastfeeding window. You can never get those things back, and now your baby is being pumped full of meds that aren't really good for them because they kill off good bacteria.

Read Immaculate deception. That scenario didn't happen to me. I think if I have another I'm going to hire a birth doula and try to actually do it naturally.

First, if you do have a c-section..you end up getting an epidural anyway. You'll only get a general if it's a STAT section because they need to get the baby out that very moment..so they need you "out" first.

Secondly, I work in labor & delivery...and I've never witnessed the above comment about increased temperature and whisking the baby off to NICU and starting antibiotics....all because of an epidural. Maybe if the mother came in ruptured, and the hospital didnt know if mom had Group B Strep or not (they usually do, its a regular test done at 34 weeks gestation), then yes...mom and baby would be treated with antibiotics.

It really makes me uncomfortable that this information was given, and not at all true.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jan-18-09, 10:02

Plan: General LC
Stats: 318/213.2/185 Female 5ft 6.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

If you want a natural birth avoid the hospital like the plague.

I am high risk and i went to the hospital because i had no choice really, no midwife would take me so i had to have an OBGYN. And it was HORRIBLE. Now i am pregnant with my second and I am looking at elective c section. I refuse to be in pain like that.

And I would like to say that I read the majority of those books, but after i got "augmented" i.e pitocin, all that junk can go out the window. And once they broke my waters along with the pitocin i pretty much wanted for someone to kill me.

Nurses and doctors do not listen. I say natrual and they literally pressure augmentation and water breaking and anything else that they want. When you are in labor you focus on that, you have no energy or mindset to argue with someone.