Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 17:46

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default all I've been hearing is how Atkins is bad....

Oh course now I am beyond defending this WOE but I had a phisical today at my primary doctors. She saw my weight lose and asked how I have done it. I said," I know you probably arnt going to like this but I have been doing the Atkins." she said, " No this is good!: The skinny beautiful doc said to me!" Its the best way to lose weight fast and keep it off!" Keep doing what you are doing and come back in six weeks to do more blood work!"
Well I was a little shocked because my sister went to the same practice(different doc) and when she was saying she was doing atkins her doc was like NO! Stop now, if you dont stop I want you eating fruits also. At least one whole apple a day and some other fruit or fruit juice. She said ok but hasnt done it. Her colesterol is up a very little and something with her thyroid but besdies that she is losing weight also.
I am just happy to be doing this woe for the rest of my life and glad that my doctor is behind me.
I just wanted people to know( I havent posted in a few) That I was still here and still on plan. This is a wonderful place it keeps me so motivated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 17:50

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

It's sooooo great your doctor is behind you (mine is too).

Could it be that the penny is finally dropping???

wohoooohooooo!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 23:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 455/224/200 Male 6-3
BF:
Progress: 91%

My MD supports me, too!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 02:04
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

That's great news!

I've finally gotten my PCP to at least shut up about low-fat diets, as long as I'm still losing weight on Atkins, though he does keep slipping in hints about lap band surgery, grrr. I'll show him! hehe

Morgan
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 04:40

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I wanted the lap band surgery but after I found I CAN lose weight on my own I am happy to be doing this instead! Its such an easy way out for most people...I am glad you are doing it this way also.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 07:33

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 231/221/150 Female 64"
BF:39/37/18
Progress: 12%

Just a note on the "lapband" sugery, my husband's aunt had that done and she doesn't look hardly different after 2-3 months - I think she had lost 11 pounds initially, but then stalled, and not much since - I heard she paid around $16,000 to have it done out of pocket, not certain if that is accurate, but I thought she would have had better results with the surgery, apparently not

Laurie0515 - I think it's wonderful that you have the support of your Doctor!! How cool is that
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgoodin
Just a note on the "lapband" sugery, my husband's aunt had that done and she doesn't look hardly different after 2-3 months - I think she had lost 11 pounds initially, but then stalled, and not much since - I heard she paid around $16,000 to have it done out of pocket, not certain if that is accurate, but I thought she would have had better results with the surgery, apparently not

Laurie0515 - I think it's wonderful that you have the support of your Doctor!! How cool is that

I'd love to know what she's eating. Milkshakes?

that's nuts!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 10:27
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I have issues with weight loss surgery, mainly because the post-op diet is HARDER to adhere to than Atkins.. so.. why on earth would I do that to myself? lol

I do like food! (It shows huh? lol)

On Atkins, I can eat some really great food and never be hungry.. without having anything weird altered surgically inside of my stomach. Works for me.

That being said, I met a girl the other day who had the surgery a few months ago. She lost 50 pounds so far and has 10 more to go. (Now.. any MD that would do a surgery for someone that only needed to lose 60 pounds.. well.. THAT is another issue altogether), but her sisters both also had the procedure and only lost a little weight and have already put it back on, and more.

Atkins is working, and working well. It's a diet I can adhere to and be happy with, so that's what I'm doing
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 05:07
Registered Member

Stats: 292/244/210 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
It's sooooo great your doctor is behind you (mine is too).

Could it be that the penny is finally dropping???

As a member of the 'medical establishment' (Harvard MD married to Harvard Dietitian), I had always been 'taught' that Atkins was 'bad', though without any supporting evidence... Medical Students and residents receive almost zero training in nutrition during medical school or residency, so most of their 'knowledge' on the subject is picked up informally in conversations with colleagues, and therefore not really subject to the usual academic scrutiny. I was therefore shocked when my new personal physician recommended Atkins, but she handed me a ream of scientific studies to back up her recommendation (along with her personal experiences with hundreds of patients). After reading the materials I was totally convinced, and I'm thrilled with the decision to change to this WOE. In addition to the weight loss, my resting heart rate has gone from 85 to 57 and BP from 135/85 to 110/60 - pretty impressive changes!

Quote:

The average cost for the lap-band surgery is $12,000 - $20,000, so $16,000 is right in the middle ofthe range... What most people do not realize is that the average sustained weight loss for that procedure is only 40lbs (in patients with >100 lbs. to lose). The lap-band only reduces the size of the gastric pouch, it does not change the 'plumbing' the way the traditional 'stapling' and diversion procedures do...

As someone noted, the post-op diet after bariatric surgery is so restrictive that if you followed it without having the surgery first, you'd almost certainly lose a great deal of weight anyway...
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 06:23

It's great to have you here Vineyarder!

Congratulations on your loss so far, it's great!

I tell people I"m on low carb, Atkins, and then I cringe waiting for the fallout. Mostly now people just go quiet. I'm sure thinking I'm killing myself. I've resigned myself to losing and getting healthy as my proof.

Hopefully, the media and the medical community with 'get it' soon.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 13:15

Stats: 220/189/170 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I've had a few people advise me that Atkins is unhealthy.

My response is usually "How can cutting out refined sugar and flour, and trans fats be unhealthy? None of those things are good for you in the first place."

Many of those same people, after telling me that I'm killing myself with this diet, will turn around and say that cutting out sugar is a healthy thing to do.

DUH!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 13:28

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

I haven't mentioned it to a doctor lately but I was at a restaurant the other day and when I declined both the bun and the crackers the waitress looked at me and said 'I thought Atkins had been banned?'

Uhhh ... nope! And I'd like to see the government try to ban it! hehehehe No idea what she was thinking!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 13:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
I haven't mentioned it to a doctor lately but I was at a restaurant the other day and when I declined both the bun and the crackers the waitress looked at me and said 'I thought Atkins had been banned?'

Uhhh ... nope! And I'd like to see the government try to ban it! hehehehe No idea what she was thinking!

banned???? how can a way of eating be banned?????

oh, that made me spit out my crystal lite... rocket scientist she's not.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 13:53

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

hehehehe ... glad to make you laugh pennink! Now wipe off your screen! *hands you a napkin* I wondered the same thing but she was serious!

In all seriousness - the food police could probably ban the LC bars/shakes etc. But then - those aren't good for us anyway. They won't - but they could if they determined LC frankenfoods were unsafe.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-15-07, 13:58

Can you imagine? They'd have to 'ban' eggs, cheese, low g.i. veggies, all meats... it's just nuts!

Oh, they'd have to ban nuts too!