Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#76   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 09:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: 320/260/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel

Could the woman on the exercise machine be her also? I see that the nose and the mouth are similar.

I dont think the pr article says that that is her(the person on the exercise equipment). When I went to that article i didn't even get the impression that they meant to think it was her. That photo is a stock photo and I don't think it was meant to be a misrepresentation of Kimmer. However, the woman in the red dress who is on her site and in the WW article, doesn't look like any of her old photos and that IS supposed to be an "after" picture of her. I think that is a clear misrepresentation if it isn't her.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 10:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, her diet is an extreme form of Atkins. So we should expect it to cause more weight loss than Atkins can. I can see that she may feel that her younger picture looks more attractive than her current one even if her two weights have been the same, but the amount of weight loss is not unexpectable.

Her diet differs from Atkins diet in two points:

(1) It allows less net carbs and disallows sugar alcohol.
(2) It allows less calories.

We all know that allowing less carbs should increase the weight lost. We also know that many of Atkins followers here speed up their weight losses by reducing their calorie intakes. So we know her weight loss results must be Atkins results plus.

This of course does not mean that it's better than Atkins. I always believe that the weight which you lose by eating less than you want will always come back. Also nobody can be sure about the safety of her diet.

Here is a video which shows the "before & after" pictures of another Kimkins' follower. Don't tell me it's also fake!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...earch&plindex=1

Last edited by Samuel : Mon, Jun-18-07 at 10:33.
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 11:12
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel
Well, her diet is an extreme form of Atkins. So we should expect it to cause more weight loss than Atkins can. I can see that she may feel that her younger picture looks more attractive than her current one even if her two weights have been the same, but the amount of weight loss is not unexpectable.

Her diet differs from Atkins diet in two points:

(1) It allows less net carbs and disallows sugar alcohol.
(2) It allows less calories.

We all know that allowing less carbs should increase the weight lost. We also know that many of Atkins followers here speed up their weight losses by reducing their calorie intakes. So we know her weight loss results must be Atkins results plus.

This of course does not mean that it's better than Atkins. I always believe that the weight which you lose by eating less than you want will always come back. Also nobody can be sure about the safety of her diet.

Here is a video which shows the "before & after" pictures of another Kimkins' follower. Don't tell me it's also fake!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...earch&plindex=1

Well, just for starters, calling the non-dairy creamer "low carb" is not true. I have the exact same creamer in my cabinet and the first three ingredients are SUGAR , SOY and CORN SYRUP. What is low carb about that?? I have never doubted for one minute that people can lose weight on Kimkins. I lost 10 lbs. in the last few days myself from some type of a viral "bug" I picked up, but I am not going to start a website and charge people $60 bucks for membership for my DIARRHEA DIET!

Fake pictures or not, many people on the Kimkins diet are being encouraged to eat way less than 1000 calories a day and for most people that is not healthy. One person on another lc message board said she is stalled on Kimkins even though she is only eating 500 calories a day. There is something definitely wrong with that picture. The body goes into "survival mode" when you eat less than about 1200 calories a day because it thinks you are starving. So after the initial weight loss (which may be up to 20 lbs.), you stall. If all a person wants to lose is 20 lbs. fast, then I suppose they can choose a crash diet such as Kimkins, but for long term healthy weight loss, Kimkins has a lot to be desired.

ps: I just want to thank you Samuel for that link however, it was my LAUGH for today. I'm not really trying to disparage that girl who does the recipies (Amy), but she is hilarious!! Check out her very first video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...621618891573167

where she is explaining that she is eating chicken with no extra additives or pesticides and that have only been fed vegetables because she likes to eat things where " NO ANIMALS HAVE BEEN HARMED IN THE PROCESS! I guess she doesn't think killing, cooking and eating them harms them. I'm sorry but that is the funniest thing I've ever heard. I have been on both sides of vegetarianism--both pro and con but now that I am back to eating and enjoying meat I am not going to deny that "animals have been harmed in the process.

Last edited by fluffybear : Mon, Jun-18-07 at 11:38.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 12:47
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!

Quote:
Is there a record of when she actually started and her real start weight?

Her claims (from various posts on LCF), from what I can see is she started at 318 and lost 198-pounds in 11-months...so that would mean weighing 120-pounds. She also claims a tummy tuck/boob lift somewhere between 145-150-pounds. Her last logged weight in FitDay is 128ish (hard to know exactly since it's graphed and not listed as an exact weight). That's the first math that didn't add up.

Then there is the actual FitDay records she points to in various posts on LCF - her weight according to her published records was a rollercoaster and didn't start at 318, but 285 if her fitday logs are accurate.

Math that doesn't add up and date defying losses and gains:

12/05/00 logged at 285 (important date, remember it!!!!)
01/04/01 logged at </= 200 (85 pounds in one month?)
01/26/01 logged at 160 (down another 40 in less than one month?)
02/01/01 logged at 150 (down another 10? puh-leez)
No records until August 2001
08/01 logged at 240 (gained 90?....over six months this means not only eating at requirements to maintain, but to exceed it by 1750+ calories per day)
09/2001 logged at 200ish (lost 40 in a month)
09/28/01 logged at 180 (another 20)
10/23/01 logged at 155 (another 35, less than a month)
12/18/01 logged at 145
11/09/02 logged at 128

Which is why I question her claims.

Add to this the FitDay site wasn't even registered as a domain name until June 10, 1999; the first archived page online is December 10, 2000 - five days after her first entry....hello? She started keeping a food log in a site that hadn't launched yet? How exactly did she come to know and use FitDay.com so quickly, when it didn't really reach critical mass for public use until 2002?

Also, she claims she started her way of losing weight right after her 40th birthday - ummm, that would be 1998.....her birthday is in May, 1958. Today she's 49....

Her domain name was registered in March 2006 - six months before she launched kimkins.com....and amazingly this is the time frame when she had a sudden spurt of activity and hours each day at LCF, which reached a "fever pitch" of activity in october 06 - the month before she launched and started charging a fee.

What does it all mean? I dunno, but to me something smells bad in the whole thing.....and I really do hope at some point someone uncovers the truth in it all.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 12:51

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
Colpo had a very useful site which he shut down because he said it overwhelmed him and whined about having to make a living elsewhere. Lately, Eades has been making some noise about spending too much time blogging - I fear we might lose his site too!

Colpo has jumped the shark, if I can judge from the newsletter I've been getting from him lately. It sounds like the conspiracy nuts have eaten his brains. I finally unsubscribed from his mailing list. It was getting wilder and wilder, like watching someone develop paranoid schizophrenia. I didn't want to end up being on the FBI watch list for being a subscriber.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 13:32
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
Her claims (from various posts on LCF), from what I can see is she started at 318 and lost 198-pounds in 11-months...so that would mean weighing 120-pounds. She also claims a tummy tuck/boob lift somewhere between 145-150-pounds. Her last logged weight in FitDay is 128ish (hard to know exactly since it's graphed and not listed as an exact weight). That's the first math that didn't add up.

Then there is the actual FitDay records she points to in various posts on LCF - her weight according to her published records was a rollercoaster and didn't start at 318, but 285 if her fitday logs are accurate.

Math that doesn't add up and date defying losses and gains:

12/05/00 logged at 285 (important date, remember it!!!!)
01/04/01 logged at </= 200 (85 pounds in one month?)
01/26/01 logged at 160 (down another 40 in less than one month?)
02/01/01 logged at 150 (down another 10? puh-leez)
No records until August 2001
08/01 logged at 240 (gained 90?....over six months this means not only eating at requirements to maintain, but to exceed it by 1750+ calories per day)
09/2001 logged at 200ish (lost 40 in a month)
09/28/01 logged at 180 (another 20)
10/23/01 logged at 155 (another 35, less than a month)
12/18/01 logged at 145
11/09/02 logged at 128

Which is why I question her claims.

Add to this the FitDay site wasn't even registered as a domain name until June 10, 1999; the first archived page online is December 10, 2000 - five days after her first entry....hello? She started keeping a food log in a site that hadn't launched yet? How exactly did she come to know and use FitDay.com so quickly, when it didn't really reach critical mass for public use until 2002?

Also, she claims she started her way of losing weight right after her 40th birthday - ummm, that would be 1998.....her birthday is in May, 1958. Today she's 49....

Her domain name was registered in March 2006 - six months before she launched kimkins.com....and amazingly this is the time frame when she had a sudden spurt of activity and hours each day at LCF, which reached a "fever pitch" of activity in october 06 - the month before she launched and started charging a fee.

What does it all mean? I dunno, but to me something smells bad in the whole thing.....and I really do hope at some point someone uncovers the truth in it all.

I think Kimmer erased her FITDAY weight progress chart. I found her FITDAY page from 2000 through 2006 with everything on it except her WEIGHT LOSS.
Hmmm...
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Isn't it possible she had bari surgery and never copped to it? That seems like the more likely scenario if there was a severe weight drop in there.

What I haven't heard about yet are success stories on her plan. That novel-length thread at LCF was closed in 2006. Where are the converts and successes from 500 calories a day?!

She must be running for the bank now, because in a year nobody will be singing the praises of "Kimkins." The only difference is there won't be a book (supposedly) to find in the 1$ remainder bin at the back of a bookstore.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 13:54

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairOnFire
Isn't it possible she had bari surgery and never copped to it? That seems like the more likely scenario if there was a severe weight drop in there.

What I haven't heard about yet are success stories on her plan. That novel-length thread at LCF was closed in 2006. Where are the converts and successes from 500 calories a day?!

She must be running for the bank now, because in a year nobody will be singing the praises of "Kimkins." The only difference is there won't be a book (supposedly) to find in the 1$ remainder bin at the back of a bookstore.

I lay you odds that some eager acquisitions editor or newbie agent is hot on the heels of her publicity as we speak. Let's just pray someone does some googling around and researches even the smallest amount that Regina has.

I can't say what she's preaching doesn't work. It does. It's basically Stillmans. What she must prove though, is that she really did this.

Hey, did anyone prove that jerrod really ONLY ate subway sandwiches, btw?
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 14:17
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
I think Kimmer erased her FITDAY weight progress chart. I found her FITDAY page from 2000 through 2006 with everything on it except her WEIGHT LOSS.
Hmmm...

I just checked again - weights logged look like they're still online....gotta hit Earlier entries back to 2000 and then go forward to see the types of "discrepancies" I found though.

Kimmer FitDay Journal
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 14:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Isn't it possible she had bari surgery and never copped to it?

Even a bari patient would never be able to achieve a 135 pound loss in less than 2 months; that's better than 2 pounds a day and is physically impossible.
Something is definitely fishy in Denmark....
  #86   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 14:33
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
I just checked again - weights logged look like they're still online....gotta hit Earlier entries back to 2000 and then go forward to see the types of "discrepancies" I found though.

Kimmer FitDay Journal

Ok, I see them now. Thanks.
  #87   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 14:37

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

did i read that right, one day she eats over 1700 cals, then one show just having lettuce for the day?

This really really looks like an eating disorder to me.
  #88   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 15:15
Contrarian

Someone emailed me this little gem:

KIMMER: "I'm at goal (courtesy of the defunct 1992 DANDR). I have no questions. My answers in the Lobby will be of a general LC nature, not Atkins specific."

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...ad.php?t=263908
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 17:32
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
did i read that right, one day she eats over 1700 cals, then one show just having lettuce for the day?

This really really looks like an eating disorder to me.

Well, it sounds a lot like Intermittent Fasting to me (she should really drop the lettuce on the fast days though ). And far from being an eating disorder, in combination with low carb, it's probably both the best way to burn bodyfat (rather than just dietary fat) and the healthiest way to nourish the human body.

Mike Eades original blog post on IF is a good place to start for a thorough understanding of this dietary approach. There are also a couple of threads on this forum concerning Intermittent Fasting. I've personally been doing IF for seven months, after five years of just VLC, and IMHO, it's an astonishuing way to supercharge the health, vitality, and body comp benefits of low carb.

If Deane, or whatever her name really is, is actually eating this way, then it's hardly surprising that she has lost bodyfat, optimized her health, and preserved muscle so effortlessly.

Stuart.
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 18:47

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 265/182/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 72%

As if it weren't hard enough to believe already, now that there's so much money involved, you'll find thousands of Kimmer's devotees online - all of them with affiliate links in their blog so YOU too can lose a hundred pounds by the weekend, as they did.

When is Inside Edition or Geraldo Riviera or SOMEBODY gonna get on this story??? This is a prize winning investigative newstory just waiting to happen!

That LCF link that Regina posted where she states she was at goal - good stuff!! Don't be surprised if it conveniently disappears now.
Closed Thread