Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 07:07
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie 71
it's always been a website with a membership fee from the time it launched last june...i guess she must have mistyped somewhere if she used "blog" at first.

as for jimmy and all his ads, i think most people are under the impression that he is getting money from these sponsors just to advertise for them on his site. and he is.

but it's not as simple as "here's a set price to buy advertising space on your site"...it's an advertising affiliate relationship where he makes money by people "clicking" on the different banners to order stuff. so he's motivated to promote the different sites and products (that are always hyperlinked to the sites to purchase) because the more people purchase these products through him, the more money he makes in a commission.

for example, the kimkins site pays out something like a 25% commission for advertisers....so out of every $60 membership that kimmer gets from someone who goes to her via jimmy's site, jimmy makes $15. in the last year, thousands have signed up for her site through jimmy's extensive coverage...it's a win/win for both...all in the name of internet commerce.

jimmy seems like a really nice guy, i like him and have almost always enjoyed reading his blog...it's just that with all that advertising affiliate info in mind, it does help me to see how "less biased" he may be in his promotion of things. it literally does pay for him to gush as much as he does about various products and sites.

Kimmer wrote when she first started her site that she should get compensated for all her work and I am not neccessarily against that, but I personally appreciate all the websites that are available free such as Linda's low carb recipes and Dyan's low carb recipes. They have helped me a lot and are totally free. But that is because I cook and use their recipes. I am not against enterprenuers. But I am done with trying one diet after another myself. I once heard it said that any diet will work if YOU just work at it. As for myself, my problem has been my lifelong love affair with food rather than looking at food as a tool for sustenence and good health. That photo of Jimmy on his website with the chocolate dribbling out of his mouth was a total TURN OFF (low carb or not)!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 07:09
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendykp
No, but its quite a different situation. My woe is like Kimkins, but I don't pay for her site because I have the information and understand it. But anyone who read her old forum on the other site could see she put a LOT of time into answering people's questions, looking at thier fitday logs and advising them, and simply encouraging people and explaining things over and over. It looked very time intensive. As I understand it, if you pay for her site now, you will get the same thing. As many people as are signing up, shes got to either be working her ass off or have several people there just responding to personal emails or IMs or whatever, I'd think, because most people just don't take the time to figure things out themselves.

According to her website she does have a staff now.
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 07:10

Plan: it varies
Stats: 245/134/140 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
That photo of Jimmy on his website with the chocolate dribbling out of his mouth was a total TURN OFF (low carb or not)!

it was definitely..."interesting"...and sooooo not part of the kimkins plan he is on
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 07:16

BF:

i will say this...for those people who are doubting that he lost 18 lbs. in one week...i totally believe that.

i cycled kimkins (well, actually stillman) with something like atkins for my weight loss. if i was carbed up from the atkins cycle, it was very typical to drop a lot of water weight my first week back on extreme low carb/low fat...often 10 lbs. in five days. and i have no trouble believing that jimmy was EXTREMELY carbed up, given all the "net carb" products he seemed to enjoy.

so, i don't think he inflated numbers at all when talking about his big whoosh this last week.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 07:27

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
According to her website she does have a staff now.

"You! Read my e-mails!"
"You! Post on my blog!"

Maybe if she was some sort of medical professional charging $60 to join a website wouldn't be so bad. But as far as I know she has no medical training or anything like that (if she does please correct me). If she did "work" she CHOSE to do it; no one compelled her. I've seen a lot of websites where someone is looked upon as "the guru" but I've never seen anyone attempting to make a career of it. That's what bothers me about the whole Kimkins thing.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolism Miracle
Stats: 264/231/199 Female 72
BF:Lots/Lots/Some
Progress: 51%
Default I agree with you

bsenka. Jimmie Moore is doing what he needs to do to keep on top of his battle with his weight. He realized that his weight was drifting, for whatever reason, and has been inspired by Kimkins to knock it back down quickly so he can then continue with what worked for him before. His blog is an inspiration to me because he is human and isn't afraid to admit his faults. I especially appreciate how he keeps on top of low carb reseach and posts about it so I can be informed. I wish him all the luck in the world.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 11:04

Plan: ---
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muata
I have to be honest with you guys. Personally, I've chatted with Jimmy on a couple of occasions and he's a nice enough guy; however, he embellishes his numbers just like most folks who are in denial about their true weight and eating habits. Now, I believe that Jimmy lost close to 20lbs in one week just as much as I believe that he is at 9% body fat, which is what he told me through his blog back in December 2006. Judging by the pixs his posted of his "loose skin", I can confidently tell you that he has never seen single digit BF% numbers because I've been through the saggy belly phase at 20% +, and yes you have "man-boobs" and you have the hanging belly. But, that's because of the fat that's still there! Pinch the back of your hand. That's how thick your skin is.

I have to agree - especially about the 'loose skin' part!
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: Carbs not
Stats: 159/124/130 Female 67 inches
BF:Playing the field
Progress: 121%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreddy
as has been explained many times, what you get when you pay for membership to kimkins dot com is the support. You pay for access to the forums, and even direct access to Kim , if that's what you want. I can't understand why that would bother anyone.

She's a good capitalist. Enough said. She took her weight loss and a cute name and spun it into a successful business. From the enormous threads I've read over on the LCF website, she had her talking points down, no question. But she can't really deviate from them because she's not trained nor knowledgeable in the physiology of it all. She's out of her element for anything other than her "hands-on counseling." And that's fine. Not worth 60$, IMO. But how people spend their money is their choice.

Mrfreddy, I am with you on your skepticism about the metabolic "disadvantage" of decreased calories. I'm still not convinced it's problematic. Lyle McDonald apparently did some research for his own PSMF book and had some citations, but they may be dated by now, since I'm not sure how old his book is. This would be a good question to pose to Dr. Eades over on his blog, if he hasn't addressed it already. I respect his opinion.
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 12:53

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreddy
didn't he say his bf% was 11%? that's the number I remember...

from reading all the negative comments here about Jimmy and Kimkins, I think the people in denial are those of you who reject the role of calories in a low carb diet. As far as I am concerned that is what a diet like Kimkins addresses head on. Yeah, maybe she goes too far. But maybe all this talk about "starvation mode" is just a myth-nobody's proven anything different. Atkins mearly tiptoed around the calorie thing, and bascially promised you could eat all you want, which is why most Atkins dieters are still overweight, after years and years on the plan (myself included).

I say congratulations to Jimmy for finally admiting calories do count. I do wonder about his junk food blogging tho...

No, I was referring to an answer to a comment I made on his blog. Here's an exerpt from his post:

My body fat percentage is around 9 percent right now which tells me my problem is not one with that. I think I've gone up and down too many times in my life with my weight that the elasticity of my tummy is just gone now.

Feel free to read the full exchange http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.c...uck-making.html .
And 11%? I don't think so. Mr. Freddy the problem is that there is a gap between what research has been done and what or when it gets released to the public. There have been studies conducted since the late 1800s and early 1900s dealing with how we metabolize food and what happens when calories are too low; hey, manual labor was the money maker of the day, so business owners wanted to make sure that their workers were working at their optimal best. (Hell, in Jamaica, the national tree is the Ackee tree, which was brought from West Africa to Jamaica because of its fruit, which is high in carbs. The enslavers wanted a cheap but sustainable food for the enslaved Africans, so they brought this tree across the Atlantic, which was not used as a food source but for the medicinal qualities in its leaves.) It's just that the lay person won't hear about this for sometime if ever. A perfect example is Ancel Keyes's lipid or diet-heart hypothesis. It is now generally accepted as "fact", but there were researchers at the time he published this bogus study crying "bloody foul". And, look where we are today. The same is true for VLCD; do me a favor and simply do a google on these types of diets and see what some of the shown and proven side effects of a sustained VLCD are . . . one being death!
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-07, 14:44

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muata
No, I was referring to an answer to a comment I made on his blog. Here's an exerpt from his post:

My body fat percentage is around 9 percent right now which tells me my problem is not one with that. I think I've gone up and down too many times in my life with my weight that the elasticity of my tummy is just gone now.

Feel free to read the full exchange http://livinlavidalocarb.blogspot.c...uck-making.html .
And 11%? I don't think so. Mr. Freddy the problem is that there is a gap between what research has been done and what or when it gets released to the public. There have been studies conducted since the late 1800s and early 1900s dealing with how we metabolize food and what happens when calories are too low; hey, manual labor was the money maker of the day, so business owners wanted to make sure that their workers were working at their optimal best. (Hell, in Jamaica, the national tree is the Ackee tree, which was brought from West Africa to Jamaica because of its fruit, which is high in carbs. The enslavers wanted a cheap but sustainable food for the enslaved Africans, so they brought this tree across the Atlantic, which was not used as a food source but for the medicinal qualities in its leaves.) It's just that the lay person won't hear about this for sometime if ever. A perfect example is Ancel Keyes's lipid or diet-heart hypothesis. It is now generally accepted as "fact", but there were researchers at the time he published this bogus study crying "bloody foul". And, look where we are today. The same is true for VLCD; do me a favor and simply do a google on these types of diets and see what some of the shown and proven side effects of a sustained VLCD are . . . one being death!

he could have been at 11%. I am just over 13% and still have a very ample basketball shaped belly and sizeable lovehandles.

one of the tricky things about bf% is finding a reliable way to measure. My trainer has a machine, called a BAD (I forget what that stands for?), it is supposed to be accurate, but who knows?

anyway, I dont doubt that Jimmy has a lot of loose skin, I also dont believe that eating low carb style as promoted by Atkins, etc. would ever get rid of that skin or get him to under 200 pounds.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 18:38

Plan: Ketogenic/Paleolithic
Stats: 310/179/175 Male 71
BF:44%/6%/5%
Progress: 97%

That's a good point mrfreddy because my Tanita scale still says that I'm at 20% BF. LOL! For me, I like using the calipers or the measurement chart that they have at www.mybodycomp.com. You have to measure at least 8 sites on your body and they give you a percentage afterwards. It has more measurement sites than I've seen on other places on the web. So, these are the methods I've been using.

Oh, I'm sorry and don't want offend anyone, but the closer you get to single digit body fat, the less "loose skin" you have because you don't have the adipose tissue/fat pushing out causing it to sag. Having gone from 44% BF to single digit numbers, I can confidently tell you that the pixs I saw of Jimmy was of a man closer to 20% BF than 10%! mrfreddy if you have similar excess skin like Jimmy and you're at 13% BF; then, I suggest you try a couple of methods to test you BF to make sure that you're getting an accurate reading.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 20:05
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Eek, interesting thread. Jimmy just featured me on his blog today.. and I have to say my exchanges with him have been both uplifting, inspiring and motivating.

I don't take anything that anyone says as gospel, so I read his blog, or any other blog, take what I need from it and move on.

Webhosting can cost around $25 a month, for a relatively decent site with forums.. if he wasnt using a free blogger, I could understand the advertisements better, but hey, he's doing what he does and if it helps someone (like it did me) then great.

Take the good, leave the bad and go on from there.

I like the guy, I like his podcast interviews but that doesn't mean that I'll swear by anything on his, or anyone else's, blog.

As for the Kimkins thing.. I'm sooooooo on the fence with that. I can see the logic behind her plan, insofar as I know what her plans entail, but charging $60 just to look at it seems a bit suspicious to me. Then again, its a capitalist world.. and she's trying to make a buck off something she worked hard at.. can't say that I would do the same thing, but.. eh, it seems to be helping a lot of people.

i'm laughing rereading this post.. its so non-committal.. thats me, sittin on the great fence of life, not taking sides.. at least til my butt is smaller and its harder to sit on the fence and I fall off.......... lol
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 20:14

BF:

i was featured on his blog too when i met my first major weight loss goal...i had no notice he was going to do that. he lifted my story and pics from an article i wrote for a kimkins newsletter. the intent of the article was to encourage others that they can lose weight using kimkins principles even if they didn't follow the plan schedule as it's written (i didn't, i used it as a part of cycle plan with another plan). anyway, jimmy took all of that and featured me as an example of another "kimkins success story."

i was...not expecting that.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Jun-15-07, 22:06
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

honestly, I can relate to that Cutie.. I had sent him a private email and he posted it, snagged my pic from my blog and posted that.. which I was a little uncomfy with, I would have said sure had I been asked, so I just let it go, I don't think he means any harm really

But it is proper "netiquette" to ask first at least.

Ah well.. if someone reads it and gets motivated, thats great!
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 21:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here is the latest from Jimmy Moore:
Kimkins Diet Scrutiny Borne Out Of Weight Loss Jealousy

There have been a lot of controversial discussions regarding the subject of calories on a low-carb diet ever since I announced a couple of weeks ago that I was embarking on a new challenge to lose 50 more pounds. In fact, I lost 13 pounds in the first four days and a total of 18 pounds in one week.

Normally, this kind of weight loss success on a low-carb diet plan would be heralded as typical and people who understand and support this way of eating would be applauding your efforts to lose weight and get healthy. On virtually ANY other low-carb program, including Atkins, Protein Power, South Beach, The Zone, or just about every other one out there, that's what would happen.

But not with the low-carb diet I have chosen--Kimkins.

Since when did Kimkins become the dietary equivalent of a religious cult? That's exactly how insane the criticism about this specific diet plan has gotten and frankly it's disappointing that the loudest voices are actually coming FROM members of the low-carb community. Just look at all the kinds of comments that were made at this post I wrote about my progress last week. Sheez! Where'd this all come from?

While some of the harshest and most vile comments they are making have been personal questions about the woman who created the Kimkins diet named Kimmer, my response to that is that Kimkins as a weight loss tool isn't even about her or anyone else but me. Yes, I'm grateful that Kimmer devised a low-carb program that is helping a lot of people (including myself) lose weight, but she could be just a figment of my imagination for all I care! The fact is IT WORKS!!!

But then the anti-Kimkins crowd moves from personality to particulars when they try to pick apart the diet plan itself by claiming it is too low in calories to be healthy. This claim has thoroughly amused me because these people pretend to know all about the five different versions of Kimkins when they haven't got a clue.

Click here to see why the harsh judgment being cast down by the Kimkins diet haters does not even remotely match what this low-carb plan is really all about. It's time for a serious dose of reality for these people and I'm serving up healthy portions of it!