Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-07, 15:14

Plan: m&e
Stats: 172/156/135 Female 5'5
BF:burn it off, baby!
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanDoThis
I've not heard of using metformin for weightloss, if that is what you all are saying. I take it to help control my PCOS symptoms. I've never noticed a difference in weight when just strictly on the metformin. Only when I'm doing LC do I see the weight loss. Why do you stop the pill? Isn't it what helps you with the PCOS? I can't see LCing taking away all the PCOS symptoms, but then again, I haven't been back on LCing for over a week though. I guess I'll know more as I keep going...

You're right, Metformin is not used for weightloss, it's just one of the side effects, for some people. I stopped taking it because it made me feel awful with all the stomach problems and constant nausea. I agree with gawdess about the terrible side effects of this drug. I also agree with going the natural route of low carbing, exercising and supplementation to help with the pcos. It's working for me! I guess Metformin is not for everybody.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-07, 08:57

Plan: lowcarb/high fat/Failsafe
Stats: 280/245/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycule6
The XR pills weren't undigested. It is common for the capsule to be passed in the stool, looking as if it was undigested but it was metabolized by the body. Rest assure the medication was still working.

Well now, that's good to know. I wish my doctor had actually TOLD me that at some point instead of leaving me in the dark thinking she was nuts.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-07, 08:14

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 228/215/174 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legeon
Well now, that's good to know. I wish my doctor had actually TOLD me that at some point instead of leaving me in the dark thinking she was nuts.

My doctor didn't tell me that either, it's just a plus from being in pharmacy school.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-30-07, 20:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 372/236.6/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I take 1000mg of metformin twice a day to control my IR/PCOS. I had TERRIBLE GI effects for about the first month that I was taking it but after about a month they subsided and I feel much better. I think it's one of those YMMV things, my mother takes it for her diabetes and she has never had any of the side effects! I have to say that I did start getting my periods again after the second month I was taking it so it does seem to be working on me.