Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, May-29-07, 20:43

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

If you don't want people to know you are on Atkins, don't tell them? Even if you are eating more meat and veggies, the normal everyday Joe wouldn't even notice.. as they think that Atkins is NO carbs at all and they think all you eat is meat.. Who's business is it what plan you are on to lose weight and get healthy? That's kind of pathetic, I'm sorry. Man up and tell them its none of their business... Unless of course all friends are vegitarians and in that case, I completely understand.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 05:29
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy411
first day on atkins and you eat fries and mexican food????? have you read the book????????

i'm totally confused here.......

LOL yes you are, that was his first day OFF of Atkins, that's what the thread is about.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 06:36

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

You need a new scale or a visit to the doctor. Water retention and loss of that sort is not normal.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 06:48
Stepford Malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
You need a new scale or a visit to the doctor. Water retention and loss of that sort is not normal.

Sorry, but I think it is normal. If you look at the posters weight and consider that he came off of Atkins - very low carb, then had a day with very heavy carb intake, and then went back to a lower (though not Atkins level) carb way of eating. I think it makes perfect sense. If a 130 pound woman can gain 4-7 pounds of water from a day of heavy carb eating after VLC and then lose it within a few days - then it makes perfect sense that a man who weighs 288 can gain 15 and lose 15 pounds doing the same thing.

ETA - Look at the way people with a lot to lose often lose 15lbs or more in the first week of induction and someone with only around 10lbs to lose often loses nothing at all.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 08:09

Plan: My Own
Stats: 262/235.4/170 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

hahah thanks Koko for pointing that out...... and ummm thanks to the poster for letting us know what it was like for his first day off ..... i think.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 10:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Quote:
first day on atkins and you eat fries and mexican food????? have you read the book????????

Me too!! Those aren't even acceptable OWL or maintenance foods!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 10:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/165/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:Shrinking
Progress: 52%

Quote:
hahah thanks Koko for pointing that out...... and ummm thanks to the poster for letting us know what it was like for his first day off ..... i think.

Oops... I should read ALL the posts first...
  #23   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 10:30

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takh_Prime

First day I had hamburger and fries with mexican food for dinner. Rest of the time i did reasonable calories (small portions as my stomach was full on very small amounts) and no real carb restrictions. Though I'm not big on sweets so I barely had any sugar over the weekend.

I dont want people to find out because I am a private person. Anyway your friends already know but respect you enough to ignore the pink elephant.

I'm totally confused. This is NOT atkins. You might want to read the book.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 10:35
Stepford Malfunction

OMG - people PLEASE read the original post. These are the foods he ate on the day after he QUIT Atkins.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 10:36
Stepford Malfunction

LOL - I see Bon just got it
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 10:45

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default OFF Atkins

Quote:

You've just misread it, he's going OFF atkins, and posted his experience.

... Whoops! I missed page 2! ...
  #27   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 10:51

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Just My Experience.

Quote:
and the next month would be far too tough to stay on with out people finding out that I'm LCing it.

Just My Experience:
Last time I did Atkins I had one sister who literally RUINED it for me. Everytime I saw her, she'd ask "still on that crazy diet?" This from a woman who weighs 90 lbs soaking wet! Grr..

THIS TIME ON ATKINS - I just sprung the GI diet on her, yep I lied straight out to her. She doesn't really know what its about anyway, and THIS seems acceptable. (anything but ATKINS! i guess!) If you don't Tell ppl you're on atkins, how would they know?

I guess my point is: You seem to have had some great success with atkins, don't be like me, and let others ruin it for you! If I had stuck with atkins those few years ago.. I'd be AT GOAL WEIGHT by now. *sigh.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 16:34

Plan: Atkins (Induction)
Stats: 352.2/332.6/230 Male 74 inches
BF:43%/40%/10%
Progress: 16%

People, Ive not really seen a narrative of what to expect when you go off of atkins. Or i didnt look hard enough. This was my goal. To tell people what to happened to me when going off.
Lets be serious, most of us will hit goal weight then get intimate with some cheesecake or be unable to eat atkins woe for a period of time.

Does anyone else have experiences they would like to share about a time they went off atkins?

In addition, when you go on a diet, dont tell anyone. Its just added pressure and there are plenty of douche bags out there who would use this to their advantage.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 17:57

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Sure, when I went off Atkins after losing 20 pounds in a month, I gained back those 20 pounds, plus 30 of them. That might have been do (but I doubt it) to my PCOS. Either way, that is an enormous amount of weight to gain.. 50 pounds.. in only a few years. And the last 30 happened in LESS than 9 months.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, May-30-07, 18:50
Paper beats rock?!?

Plan: Atkins! (Maintenance)
Stats: 178/147.6/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Lets be serious, most of us will hit goal weight then get intimate with some cheesecake or be unable to eat atkins woe for a period of time.

How long were you on Atkins before you started feeling that it wasn't a sustainable way of life?

I'm just curious. Here's my thinking: cheesecake might knock you out of ketosis, but it doesn't knock you out of Atkins as a WOE. I've been on it for two and a half months now and it's true, a couple of times I've had a slice of pizza, or drunk a little too much wine. But these slips haven't ever dragged me off the wagon altogether, LOL. My biggest test was probably the last weekend. I went to three different parties over the weekend and actually was astonished by how easy it was to stay *basically* on plan -- steak or bunless burgers with tomatoes and pickles and mayonnaise or mustard; vodka or wine instead of beer. And nobody even noticed I wasn't eating "normally," they all just assumed I was a) too lazy to put it on a bun ; or b) a BIG meat fan.

Maybe I'm innocent or ignorant of what lies ahead, though. Maybe it does get harder as you go on, instead of easier as I'd thought. So, I'm curious -- does your experience suggest that I should expect to hit a breaking point at some time in the future?

Quote:
Does anyone else have experiences they would like to share about a time they went off atkins?

More curiosity: can I ask why you ask this question, or what you hope to learn? Seems to me that if the way we ate is what produced our "old" body shapes and weights, then going back to that way of eating would mean getting those old body shapes and weights back again. Is this what you expect to hear? If so, what does this mean/prove to you? And if you expect to hear differently, I'd be interested to know what, exactly, you expect to hear.

Quote:
In addition, when you go on a diet, dont tell anyone. Its just added pressure and there are plenty of douche bags out there who would use this to their advantage.

My friends may laugh at how enthusiastic I am, but I've found they're all really accepting when I say, "No, I'll pass on the fries." I'd say Atkins is a nice test of friendship, then. Anyone who's unwilling to support you is probably someone you need to spend less time with. Do you think this is unreasonable, or that I'm being too harsh? Or am I simply lucky?

OK, I know I'm lucky... I have awesome friends and family. But I do think that it's at least partly because I won't willingly spend time with people who are self-righteous or hypocritical. Isn't it possible that, because our society judges the overweight so harshly, we've internalized the idea that, as overweight people, we should "be grateful" for whatever attention we get? I wonder if part of learning to value your body and your health by changing your eating habits isn't also learning to change how you expect others to treat you. In which case, chuck those friends who aren't happy for your happiness! You deserve people who will cheer you on!