Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 12:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/170/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

MistyBee,

what you have just said in your reply makes more sense to me than anything I have heard. I had had the blood test done..and got it out of my blood, but am still having serious problems. I just know there is something in my gut.

I would LOVE to know who your doctor is. It sounds like she REALLY knows what she is talking about, and takes this thing very seriously, and attacks it from all angles.

Stick with it! I really think that's the only way to get rid of this hellish thing. (attacking it at all angles)

I only wish I could pvt message you.. it seems we would have a lot to say to eachother... and I am really just dying to know who your doctor is. I am not far from Colorado, and I would be willing to make the trip for someone like that.

Lain
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-02, 21:11

Plan: UltraGlycemix
Stats: 244/240/150
BF:
Progress: 4%
Smile thanks for being there!

When you hit 25 messages you will be able to pm, so if you are keeping a journal it should be soon! then I will send you the info, I don't think I should just post her name, etc. on the public channels... She is a nurse practitioner and she does phone consults and will order your tests over the phone if you want!
I tried to PM you with her info but you are only at 18 messages...

it is soooo discouraging to do low carb and not lose weight, even the feeling better does n't always do it for me. I have had several days where I couldn't stick to it at all, but every times I eat lower carb at least, I feel so much better!

I am approaching my TOM and I had chocolate yesterday on an empty stomach and then I truly felt drugged, sick and sleepy and then after an hour or two I felt positively hung over. It was terrifying....

Today has been pretty good, I made a meal plan of possibilities for the week and then went to Costco and bought "good things" and came home and cooked up so different things to choose from for my lunches and snacks...

I have packed my gym bag for the morning so I can go and work out on the way to work....

It is tough, so very tough but I get a lot of relief in writing. I am so grateful to have found you, Lain, I had begun to have a hard time posting on the board because I hate how I haven't lost weight. I feel like a failure at times and I don't know what I am going to do. Not that I am glad you are having a hard time, but I am so grateful to know that I am not alone, even in this!

Between that and being taken seriously at the doctor's I am less depressive.... so thanks, I really was beginning to feel like screaming whenever people would tell me I hadn't been Strict enough!

-Misty

Last edited by MistyBee : Sun, Aug-04-02 at 21:21.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 01:42

BF:
Default Misty

Misty,

Thank you for replying so quickly.. I am too also grateful to have found you. You have no idea.. I am practically in tears right now.

I feel at such a loss. My job requires that I stay in really good shape, so I have lost my way of making the money that I am used to, and it seems the longer I am sick, the more foods I become intolerant to. I have tried rotating and everything. I think I may have leaky gut at this point.

I have also given up on my doctor. She was giving me diflucan for the candida, and when the blood work came back ok, and I was still feeling sick all the time, she began to tell me that I just needed to see a therapist. That it is all in my head now. But how can it be? I have so many seriously painful symptoms.. and I KNOW what it's like to feel healthy.. trust me.. this is not it.

This is why I found a ray of light in your words about your nurse. Because I strongly believe that I have it in my gut still. And I need help getting it out of there. I also feel I have intestinal problems at this point, and you mentioned she seems to look into that aspect of it as well.

I am going to write you like mad now.. hope you don't mind.. cuz I really want to hit that 25 mark. There are many things I wish I could talk to a friend about that understands where I am coming from, and as much as I love this site.. at times it is hard to say what I am really feeling.. because it is too personal and I just with I could talk one on one with someone a little more privately.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting that.

thank you again... Lain
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 07:46

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi MistyBee and Lain...I've been subscribed to the Candida forum for a while and have seen hardly any further replies here until you guys started back in on this one. Just wanted to let both of you know that I am in the same boat. As Misty said "it is soooo discouraging to do low carb and not lose weight, even the feeling better doesn't always do it for me. I have had several days where I couldn't stick to it at all, but every time I eat lower carb, I feel so much better!"...my thoughts exactly. I pretty much gain and lose the first 5-6 pounds of water weight everytime I go on and off low-carb and that 's it...then it's months of NO weight loss. But I do FEEL better.

Anyway, the lack of weight loss led me to the candida overgrowth idea and I was right. Just so you know, the first doctor I went to had me in tears, saying things like "your low-carb diet is so unsafe and there's NO WAY you could have candida overgrowth because you look healthy", etc. She never even let me talk. BUT, I actually found a GREAT nurse practitioner in my area from someone here on the board after they read my post on the terrible doctor visit. And let me tell you...it makes all the difference. She knew everything I was going to say, didn't make me feel ridiculous, had lots of information for me and did the blood work I had wanted all along. And YES, I definitely do have candida overgrowth and some food allergies. So now I am hooked up with her dietician who's creating a specific plan for me that will allow me to lose weight, get rid of the yeast, and avoid allergies. I just met with her last week, so I'll be sure to keep you posted...actually, I will probably write about it in my journal, so check there too if you're interested.

Good luck to both of you...I know how you feel. Everyone keeps asking me how much weight I've lost and I hate to tell them 'none' cause they are already against low-carbing as it is. If I tell them about the yeast, they will blame the diet...so I'm keeping quiet now Talk to you guys later.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 14:13

BF:

know what you mean...not2fat.. noone I know is for the low carb.. and they do the same about asking about the weight loss. hate that.

thing is.. I had a doctor that was holistic... but SOOOOOO against the low carb dieting.. and it is also the only way I feel good.. but not only am I not losing weight on it now.. I even GAIN! I'm losing my mind with all this.. like I said.. I think my problems have definately developed into a strong case of leaky gut or something.. cuz it's all that makes sense to me. and I did the blood work as well.. and she got me on different things to get rid of that.. but as soon as that was gone.. it was like... oh it must be in yer head now.. this is why I'm so interested in Misty's nurse.. cuz she recognizes that you can't just tell from the bloodwork.. and that there are several different types of the candida.. and she also seems to look at the intestinal problems it can cause.. and digestive problems.. and also seems to be ok with the low carbing.. all of these things REALLY interest me. this is the kind of person I have really been looking for. I am just terrified at this point to even think about coming off the low carbing if even this makes me gain weight.

ok.. sorry for babbling.. more like a vent hu? sowwy sowwy sowwy.

Lain
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 14:19

BF:

by the way.. how do I keep a journal? so I can start stacking up on my messages.. and be able to pvt message soon?

Lain
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 14:33

BF:

Lain...go to the home page of this board and scroll down until you see "My Lowcarb Journal/Low-Carb Bootcamp" and choose "Journals K-L" (L for 'Lain'). Read the red 'announcement' at the top of that page first. It basically tells you to create a new THREAD and call it whatever you want your journal to be called. Each time you want to post something in your journal, just go to that thread and submit a new POST by clicking on 'post reply'. That's it. It's just like all these other threads and posts but it is a whole thread just for you and others will come and make comments/give advice if you want. Hope that helps.

P.S.-my nurse practitioner said that bloodwork readings on candida and allergies are to be used as a guideline only because false results can appear, so your old doctor shouldn't have used your bloodwork results alone to say that you were 'cured'. Hope this new nurse helps you!
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-02, 06:26

BF:
Default Blood Work for Candida

Hi guys,
Oh you have cheered me up so!
The thought that we are all in this together... I am teary too Lain!

My N.P. said that you don't do bloodwork for candida - that you have to do a stool test (ick!). She made me stop taking all my supplements for a week before sending the sample (3 dyas random sample) because I take a lot of things that make it better. So I am foggier than usual these days.

It was kind of wild, after 3 days off of all my supplements, and I had an asthma attack for the first time in almost 6 months.

I am building myself back up now, it's been over a week. But I am so incredibly itchy! Oh boy...

Anyway, the appointment is for the 29th of August so I will just have to survive until then... taking my supplements like mad!

hugs,
Misty
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 09:05

BF:
Default where oh where did you go?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lain
by the way.. how do I keep a journal? so I can start stacking up on my messages.. and be able to pvt message soon?

Lain

Lain,
Where are you??????
-Misty
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Aug-12-02, 17:43
Registered Member

Stats: 122/131/105
BF:26%/25%/18%
Progress: -53%

Hi all! Have any of you ever visited Dr. Walt Stoll's website? It is a general health website, but Candida and Leaky Gut are mentioned frequently.

He seems to lean towards holistic approach to health and wholeheartedly believes that yeast is a huge problem that is going unrecognized.

There is a bulletin board that covers all health topics, but you can also search for past post on certain subjects. I bet you would find a ton of Candida related posts because I have seen a lot of them over the last couple of years. He answers questions himself and all the other members put in their two cents also.

I think the website addy is something like askwaltstollmd (dot com). If you can't find it or the addy gets deleted from this post (not sure what the rules are on posting addies, that's why I spelled out dot com) use a search engine and put in "ask dr. stoll". I think that is what his message board is called.

I hope this helps a little.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 07:26

BF:

Thanks Shasta...I'll be checking that website soon
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Aug-13-02, 10:03

BF:

Hey Misty,

I'm still here.. I just haven't been feeling very well lately. Very worn out.. so I just haven't gotten around to coming here..

Recently I ordered this pamphlet from the Candida Wellness Center about thier program.. it looks REALLY good.. only thing though is it is just soooooooooo expensive.. I just don't know if I can afford it.. *sigh* (why is it that I feel that there are just so many that will take advantage of us poor folk in our weakened state?)

Ah well, I am really gonna try and tap into my sources and see if I can do this.. even if I can't do it exactly as they recomend..

Are you paying a bundle for the help of your nurse practitioner? And by the way.. when you saw her.. did she give you any idea of how long it sometimes takes for a person under her practice to heal? I would be very interested in knowing that.. I know you can't rush this thing.. but regardless.. can anyone truelly say that that time factor is NOT a concern? I personally cannot.. I want this over.. and I want this over now!! *pouting*

Anywaysssssssss..... sorry for disappearing on you Misty.. I'm here..

Lain..
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 06:11

BF:
Default Cost of seeing Carol at Helios

I have yet to see what it will actually cost me because I sent to Blue Cross for reimbursement, but I had to pay $200 up front for an hour with her, and then $360 for the test kit that I took home. She also ordered lots of blood tests but I took that lab slip in to a place where my insurance should pay up front for me.

Health Dynamics
This is one of Carol's sites - you can get some of her tapes here. You could contact them and ask for the tapes on yeast - Yeast, What's the Problem
and I think the other one is called, Is Something Growing in Me?

The Health Center Carol is out of in Boulder is called Helios. They should be in the phone book. She would be glad to do a phone consult and take your medical history and order tests and things if that works for you.

When I meet with her on the 29th I hope to have more info on how long it will take... meantime I am back on my supplements and things but it takes a while to feel better...

Misty Here is my email link, hopefully this will work, please feel free to email me for her last name and if you want to talk about supplements.

-Misty
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 18:34
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Lain:

I truly sympathize with you. I was put on a Candida diet 1 1/2 years ago. No medications, just supplements. I took digestive enzymes, probiotics and a slew of other supplements which were helpful. As I got better my doctor took me off the supplements.

My doctor had me do a "live blood cell" test with their on-site nutritionist. This test analyzes your blood cells under a very high powered microscope. These are live blood cells, not blood shipped off to a lab. For some reason, this is not widely used in the US, but I found this method helpful. My doctor was able to determine what supplements I required so I wasn't taking a bunch of stuff I didn't need. It was a somewhat customized program, you could call it.

Anyway, 6 weeks later they analyzed my blood "live' and it was like night and day in comparison to my previous test. I even have tapes of each test to prove it. I was also feeling substantially better.

Having said all that, I really need to stress to you that Candida is not the answer to every problem. Sometimes it's easy to label something "candida"-related, but the symptoms are so general, that they can mimick a host of other more serious problems. If standard candida treatment is not working for you, it is time to find another cause of your problem. When was your last physical? Have you seen an endocrinologist? Are there any other medications you are on? I am very sensitive to all medications. You seem in so much pain trying to find out what the problem is but it could be that you are barking up the wrong tree.

Whatever you do, don't fast again. There is nothing that will destroy your metabolism quicker and cause you a host of other serious problems. However, I'm sure you know this by now.

Good luck with your recovery,
Wanda
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Nov-13-04, 12:01

Stats: 200/189/128 Female 5.6''
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hello,

Fungus Among Us:

Candida isnot something you “get”, as a rule.
When you “get” Candida, it gives no sign.
You donot know you have it until you
become weakened (or have sinned ( or ill
etc, then it shows up; then you know you
have it - or had it all along. When it “shows
up” the way it does, it is because it thinks
you are carrion, and it is going to break you
down so that Earth can finish the job; turning
you into nourishment for the soil for plant
life.

I just joined today, because i see you folks
struggling with candida, which is what some
sufferers at news:alt.support.sinusitis are just
now agonizing over, and believe me when i
say "agony", because itisnot accepted by the
medical profession, but by just a chosen few
angels, and i happen to have one of them as
my ENT.

FUNGUS (The Third Kingdom):
I have, so far been discovered, Phoma,
Candida and Aspergillus-niger in my sinuses,
and of course the Candida is everywhere, and
why i have polyp surgery all the time - the
last one nearly killed me, because the
Candida tried to eat my lips offa me face . . .
I had the surgery July 9,'04 and am still
battling the candida, which still argues i
should be dead.

A Vote for Atkins, but:
I cannot be strict with my diet, however, 2
years ago when the Doc took me off all
grains and fruit, my big stomach stopped
sticking out and got flat looking. I am now
back on grains and fruit, because i am afraid i
will destroy my health if i donot eat the
variety God intended for Man to eat.

Now then fungus infection, yes, can either
kill you or destroy your life one way or
another. When you are having trouble being
diagnosed for something, and noone can
agree on what it is, you can bet your sweet
buppie it is the really big "C" (candida). You
will get little cooperation from the medical
profession and that includes the laboratories,
because they donot employ Mycologists. In
other words we all are in trouble; for
example: 96% of sinus trouble is fungus
related (mostly candida). The war against
fungus in the sinuses is a very, dirty war,
because the anti-fungus-in-the-sinuses
advocates hit below the belt every time they
get a chance. Mayo Clinic just put out papers
on this so it is rather "new", but not really.

You will need to use colon cleanses that can
take up to a year to FULLY work. Remember
there is a difference between a colon cleanser
and a bowel mover (laxative). I take a lovely
concoction of:
good, old psyllium-whole-husks w/Sonne’s
No. 7 (bentonite); Liquid Cal-Mag+ (the one
with the phosphorous in it (Kal)); Ultra-B
Liquid (by World Organic); grapefruit seed
extract; Capryl; Robitussin (green label
(guaifenesin)) in a quart bottle with
grapefruit juice and distilled water, and drink
with a straw before breakfast. Before the
“concoction”, or anything else into my
mouth, i chew an AZO Yeast, while making
the coffee, and dishing out organic yogurt,
salted, which i eat after the AZO Yeast
tablet; then i can have my coffee and
breakfast; then i brush my teeth. I use the
“guaifenesin” for my sinuses, so you donot
need that one, and go easy on the grapefruit
seed extract (i only use five drops in that
quart bottle). Only 3 of the above ingredients
are the actual colon cleanse. Can you guess
which?

Here is something youwill need to know to
fight your candida:
“Killing Fungi”
http://www.mall-net.com/mcs/afung.html

Sometimes pain in the stomach of an
unexplained nature can be soothed by taking
a 1000 mg Vit. E jell cap. (Vit. E. oil) at bed
time. Also learn about the many herb teas
that can also help.

Remember one thing if you forget everything
else: fungus cannot live in petroleum, such as
Vaseline etc; however since we cannot eat
Vaseline it makes it real hard to get rid of
systemic candida (: Oh well back to the
drawing board . . .

DIE OFF
In http://www.mall-net.com/mcs/afung.html
you will read about some experiences with
Die-Off.

A few other things to know is:
Iodine kills candida (kelp for eating (be
careful of kelp with iron (Kal has no “iron”;
Nature’s Way is half “iron”)); Betadine, for
surface of body (read the label for usage). At
farm, feed stores you can get iodine detergent
for the house and laundry, which is a must to
get rid of candida.

Gentian Violet: People that raise tropical
birds actually feed this suff to their birds . . .
so you can use it in your orifices.

Vinegar: When all else fails, to settle burning
tum tum, take a swig of vinegar - straight -
with nothing added.

Since Fungus is the Third Kingdom, you
may, any time now, start thinking of it as an
animal-form; actually a monster . . .
something you want to KILL dead - dead-
away dead, and as violently as possible,
because the sucker fights back with a
vengeance. Even after you kill it, it seems to
send out SOS messages, as it is slowly dying,
to its relatives, who inveterately come a
running to fill up the vacancy.

You will hear “them” say “Candida is
natural”, just remember this: “they” once
said that about fleas on dogs . . . I say send
Fungus back to the soil where it belongs!!!!!!
Earth is just one big stomach (a world-class
digestive system); we, however, arenot of
Earth; we are off Heaven . . . well at least
some of us are . . .
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ +
"Men fear truth as they fear nothing else on
earth
- more than ruin - more even than death...
Truth is subversive and revolutionary,
destructive
and terrible, truth is merciless to privilege,
established institutions, and comfortable
habit.
Truth looks into the pit of hell and is not
afraid.
Truth is great and swift and free, the light of
the world, and the chief glory of man."
{Author Unknown}
Jesus is the Word and the Word is Truth.