Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 06:06

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Cocoa, not tea, calms blood pressure, study says

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070409...Syb5fcWI.AR.3QA

Cocoa, not tea, calms blood pressure, study says Mon Apr 9, 4:12 PM ET

Some may see a cup of tea as soothing but chocolate is more likely to lower one's blood pressure, German researchers reported on Monday.

Foods rich in cocoa appear to reduce blood pressure but drinking green and black tea may not, according to an analysis of previously published research in the Archives of Internal Medicine, published by the American Medical Association.

The drop in blood pressure among participants who consumed cocoa products for at least two weeks was in the same range as achieved by someone taking drugs commonly prescribed to control high blood pressure.

The fall in blood pressure credited to cocoa could be expected to reduce the risk of strokes and heart attacks by 10-20 percent, the report said.

Both cocoa and tea contain polyphenols, a class of chemicals known to help prevent cardiovascular disease that are present in most fruits and vegetables. But cocoa has a different type than tea -- procyanids -- that appear to be more active.

Currently, patients with high blood pressure are urged to eat more fruits and vegetables, although cocoa and tea products account for the bulk of total polyphenol consumption in Western countries, the study said.

But don't start gobbling up chocolate bars just yet, wrote study author Dirk Taubert of the University Hospital of Cologne, Germany.

Treats such as dark chocolate might be substituted for other high-calorie desserts, based on the study's findings, but "we believe that any dietary advice must account for the high sugar, fat and calorie intake with most cocoa products.

"Rationally applied, cocoa products might be considered part of dietary approaches to lower hypertension risk," he wrote.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 06:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

When I'm stressed I loves me some Earl Grey.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 06:35

Yeah, it's probably like the egg thing. Good this week, evil next week! But, I can make Chocolate Bark with Stevia and it doesn't have all that sugar.

Black Cherry Tea is nice too. I've several "fruit" teas, that are no calorie.

ETA:
Quote:
eat more fruits
Plus if they're following this advice, like a friend of mine is, they may be worse. She eats fruits and salads. She's on three blood pressure meds AND statins. I gave her some websites, but I don't know how much good it will do. She had the same experience that I did with blood pressure med raising cholesterol. (I quit taking it, I do check my pressure at home. It's a little high, not like when my "white coat" is in evidence. But, not all the time (?) )
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 09:03
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bthinner!
But, I can make Chocolate Bark with Stevia and it doesn't have all that sugar.

Chocolate Bark? What is that???

Sounds yum hehe

e
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 09:44

Here's a link to the recipe. You don't really taste the coconut, or at least I don't. I put almonds in mine too.

Chocolate Coconut Bark
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 13:11
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

The problem is that cocoa may be good for you -- but the sugar that is usually with it -- will kill you.

I can eat chocolate and within two hours can feel my blood pressure is way up. In fact it was eating all that chocolate that sent me to the hospital with a blood pressure of 220/180.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 15:33

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

I'm reminded of that old joke: What are the three little words women love to hear? .... Chocolate isn't fattening.

At least, it isn't when made without sugar, or with just a teeny amount, like the Lindt 85%. Yum!

Rachel
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-07, 15:38
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

I went from 70% lindt to 85% and didnt like it too much at first... but now when I've bought 70% again its way too sugary. I've gotten to like Lindt 85% now and its probably one of the best i've tasted I have around 10-20g a day with a cup of green tea
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 06:28

Quote:
The problem is that cocoa may be good for you -- but the sugar that is usually with it -- will kill you.

I can eat chocolate and within two hours can feel my blood pressure is way up. In fact it was eating all that chocolate that sent me to the hospital with a blood pressure of 220/180.
I guess it's not good for you if you're allergic!! Or perhaps sensitive to caffeine..
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 08:05

Plan: atkins maintenance
Stats: 185/133.6/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I love the 85% dark chocolate!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-12-07, 21:56
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I solve the sugar problem by sometimes eating Baker's cooking chocolate or using cocoa powders. Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa still has some carbs though.

Endangered Species chocolate makes an 88% bar that is quite good and not at all bitter. www.chocolatebar.com