Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 08:49

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 240/222/160
BF:
Progress: 23%
Angry I need help!!

I just finished the 2 week induction and had my first Endure bar. It was wonderful. I lost 12 lbs in the two weeks and was feeling great. My problem is the cravings feel they they are starting all over again. Not sure if it is in my head or not, or even if it is hormonal (it is that time). I felt so in control and now I have that pit of my stomach hunger hunger/fear again. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 08:55

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Suggestion, do a search on this site (with the search icon - upper right hand, globe icon) for "low AND carb AND bar". Those bars (assuming thats what an Endure bar is) are often loaded with hidden carbs (as many as 24g per) and they can set off cravings and hunger pangs.

Try a few days w/o any of the bars and see how you feel. Keep your water up and keep plenty of high protein snacks handy - they will help with the cravings.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 09:02

BF:

Thanks so much! Endure is the new Adkins brand bar. I will give them up for a while.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/175/160
BF:
Progress: 75%

Be careful with those bars!! They knock me out of ketosis!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: na
Stats: 225/212.5/180 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 28%
Angry Atkins Bars

Why would Atkins come out with a bar that would contradict what he says in his books? If the actual carb count is really 9-20g(which is what I've heard) instead of the 2.5g listed, then the Atkins company really loses all credibility with me. -Nolly
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 10:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/215/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default You took the words out of my mouth...

I was asking myself the same question just last week about the Atkins bars. How could Dr. Atkins even put his name on something that contradicts the whole idea of low-carbing. These bars were my downfall for a long time. In reality, one bar is a whole days worth of carbs for someone in induction. I think it is just awful that they are listed as 2.5gms of carbs when they really have ~20!!!!

Rosi
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:09
Registered Member

BF:
Default I'm glad I'm not the only one

Thanks, Rosie! I sent an E-mail to Atkins 4 days ago regarding this & they have yet to get back to me. Maybe they have no explanation? They CERTAINLY have no excuse for this! I'm usually a VERY patient, laid-back kind of person with no agression towards anyone, but, to take advantage of people living with this disease (really, that's what I think weight problems are) is disgusting!!! Shame on them!!! I'm sooo angry. I bought 2 cases of Advantage bars online & with shipping the cost was $112.00 ($70 US approx.). I should have gone out & ate 2 real chocolate bars...would have cost me less!!!-NOLLY
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:22
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Post Hi

I know what you mean by the Atkin's products! I was so dissappointed by them!
I wanted to share something with you. I am a carb addict and the fastest way to get me to want more carbs is artificial sweetners, especially Equal - Aspertame! Sucralose can if I drink, say a 16oz bottle of drink with Sucralose in it. A packet or two doesn't cause the reaction. Anyone with similiar reactions?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:26

BF:

this is the info on the Endulge Bar (new from Adkins) this is different from the Advantage Bar and I guess I thought it was better. Does this one look really bad, also, with hidden carbs?

%DV

Total Fat 12 g 19%
Saturated Fat 7 g 35%

Cholesterol 5 mg 2%
Sodium 20 mg 1%

Potassium 75 mg 2%

Total Cabohydrate 2 g 1%
Dietary Fiber 3 g 12%
Sugars 0 g %

Protein 3 g 6%

Calcium 2%
Iron 8%
Magnesium 6%
Phosphorus 4%
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 2%
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:33
Registered Member

BF:

I've never really been a carb addict so much as a FOOD addict!! For many people the consumption of aspertame and other sweeteners "triggers" a carb craving. I find that this WOE , sweeteners & all, decreases my appetite altogether. Something VERY new to me.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:38
Registered Member

BF:
Default ASK NAT

Nat will probably know...there should be a column called "ask Nat"-dont'you think? She's a fountain of info...
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 11:42
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Does this one look really bad, also, with hidden carbs?

Up at the top of the page is Low Carb Tools. There you will find a Hidden Carb Counter. Punch in the numbers and see what you come up with.

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 14:09

BF:
Talking IT WORKED !!

I just wanted to let you all know I discontinued the Endure Bars, maxed out on water and I am feeling back in control after 2 days! What a relief.. Thanks so much for your help on this one, I really thought I was in trouble. Again thanks!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins HIGHLY Modified
Stats: 247/195/135
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Why would Atkins come out with a bar that would contradict what he says in his books?

money
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 15:32
Registered Member

BF:

Ever notice that the "Almighty Dollar" makes people do the nastiest things? Atkins sent me a 3 page explination . here's an excerpt: While most carbohydrates – sugar, which imparts 4 calories per gram, is the best example – are digested by your body and turned into blood sugar, other carbohydrates behave differently. Some carbs are digested by your body but not turned into glucose. And, some carbs - such as fiber - can impart as little as 0 calories per gram, are not digested at all and pass through your body as waste. However, the FDA and other health organizations have not yet focused on this important biochemical difference and treat all carbohydrates as the same.
Thus, for Atkins Advantage Bars, the “net” carb count listed in the Total Carbohydrate statement is completely accurate for Atkins followers, and the “gross” carb count matters very little.

I don't know what to believe. The Bars were not what was stalling me though. It was cole slaw believe it or not. the cabbage was too sweet & I was eating too much of it(as I was preparing it:nono. It also bloated me very badly. I still eat the bars ( I had bought a case) and after cutting down veggies to under 20 carbs I'm losing again.

Sorry for the long reply-Nolly