Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-07, 13:01

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Curry "Pasta"

This is more of a guidline than a specific recipe since I dont use exact amounts, only to taste and varying how many people I am to serve. The pineapple is optional, so omit it if you must if you are early on in your weight loss, but the sweet/spicy is what makes it taste good according to my friends and family that ask me to make it. It is inspired by a local restaurants dish. It can be made as spicy or mild as you like.

Ingredients:

Scallops, shrimp, and chunks of chicken (use only one or two if you wish but people seem to like it better with all 3. I have tryed using beef or pork instead of the chicken and I didnt like it, but go ahead and try it if that is your thing. I have also used firm tofu chunks instead to serve vegetarians such as my sister with good results).

Ghee (clarified butter).

Alfredo sauce (I use homemade which there are many recipes most almost the same as each other...several on this board if needed. But I have substituted a good quality bottled alfredo sauce in a pinch).

Basic curry powder (I usually mix up my own from individual spices, but the premixed kind is fine).

Cayenne pepper.

White pepper. (substitute black pepper if you like, but white has a little bit different taste that in this recipe I prefer)

Red pepper flakes.

Sun dried tomatos chopped roughly (I like the kind not in oil better).

Green onions chopped fine.

Fresh grated parmesan cheese.

Fresh jalapeno peppers chopped roughly (canned are ok, but fresh taste a lot better).

Fresh pineapple cut into chunks about as large as a finger nail. (canned is ok but make sure to use the kind without added sugar).

Fresh cilantro chopped fine.

Then to serve over use either: cooked spagetti squash, steamed celery cut fine lengthwise, lightly steamed broccoli, steamed chopped cabbage, dreamfields pasta, shiritaki noodles. (IMO any of these options taste really good, but use whichever you like best).

Directions:

Saute in a medium hot saucepan the meats of your choice in ghee until nearly done. Just a little while before finished throw in the fresh jalapeno pepper and sun dried tomato to lightly cook them. In seperate pan add to already heated alfredo sauce curry powder, cayenne pepper, white pepper, red pepper flakes, and pineapple chunks. Mix with meat mixture. Toss with "pasta" of your choice. Over each serving add liberal amounts of fresh grated parmesan, chopped green onion, and chopped cilantro. Enjoy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 12:04

BF:

I forgot to add some alternate ideas for this same basic recipe.

I have used chopped fresh papaya, or some pieces of fresh mango instead of the pineapple. This completely changes the flavour of the dish but is very tasty. If your plan allows some dried fruit (i normally don't eat it), freinds have told me they have subsituted some raisins for the pineapple also.

For people who are not able to eat the sweet fruit like the pineapple, it works well to add in some mixed chopped mushrooms (like portobello, crimini etc etc) in at the same time as the jalapeno pepper. This completely changes the taste of the dish, but is a good option.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-07, 21:04

BF:

I went to visit family this weekend, my little brother made a version of this recipe for us for lunch yesterday. He instead of using all alfredo sauce, used half coconut milk. Then upon serving sprinkled toasted grated unsweetened coconut over. Also he used grilled asparagus spears to serve this over instead of the other options I mentioned. Was very tastey.

edit: Oops, and he also used virgin coconut oil instead of ghee.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-07, 16:40

Plan: Healthy Low Carb
Stats: 190/143.6/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Don't want to know
Progress: 71%

This sounds really good. What type of curry do you use - Indian or Asian?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-07, 18:49

BF:

Usually just a standard red indian curry. But have made other variations with different asian ones, and other types of curry spice mixtures(like different green curries). Try whichever you prefer.