Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 12:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/295.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: -3%
Default Mexican casserole

This week, I wanted something Mexican, but I wanted more than just the meat part, that's too much like eating chili. So here's what I did;

1lb Ground Beef
1 Boneless Skinless Chicken breast
1 8oz block cream cheese (softened)
2 Tbs Salsa
1 4 oz can of diced green chiles
1 10oz can of enchilada sauce (I used red but green would be good too)
Chili Powder/Cumin to taste
Shredded Cheese (I used cheddar/jack)
Shredded Lettuce
Green onion,sliced (optional)
1 Roma Tomato, diced (optional)
Sour Cream (Optional)
Hot Sauce (Optional)

Preheat oven to 350F
So, You don't have to use the chicken, but I had one last piece I needed to get rid of. Put the green chilies, and the chicken and just enough water to cover in a small sauce pot & bring to a simmer. Meanwhile, brown & drain the ground beef, adding chili powder/cumin after draining & return to pan. After the chicken is cooked (about 10-12 minutes) take it out of the pot & set aside to cool slightly. Dump all the liquid from cooking the chicken in the pan with the beef and add the enchilada sauce. Shred the chicken using two forks and add to the pan. Bring to a simmer and cook until it's not too runny. While the meat mixture is simmering, combine the salsa and the cream cheese and spread onto the bottom of a baking dish (I used a 9 inch glass pie plate but I suppose most any type of over safe dish would work). When the meat mixture is the consistency you like, remove if from the heat and spread it out on top of the cream cheese mixture. Top the whole thing with shredded cheese and bake in your over for about 10 minutes. I turned the broiler on for the last 3-4 to get the cheese all brown & bubbly. when you take it out of the oven, let if cool for a few minutes. To serve, scoop out the desired amount, top with lettuce, tomato, green onion and sour cream (and hot sauce).
Using a 9 inch pie plate I can get 4 GOOD size servings (you could probably get 5 or 6) and they come out to just about 8g of carb apiece. I had this for dinner last night and lunch again today and it is very good and very filling. Hope you enjoy.
BAM
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 12:37
Operation Ann 2013

Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

Sounds delish, sure wish the old man would eat Mexican.....I bet I could take it to my friend's next time we have a pot luck tho...they all eat Mexican! Thanks for sharing....I am saving the recipe!

Annie
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 12:40

Stats: 175.0/132.2/135.0 Female 5'6"
BF:less than before!
Progress: 107%

YUM!!! I will give this one a try!

Thanks for sharing.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 17:35

Plan: my own version