Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 13:16
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000times
I'm waiting for GamePro magazine to headline their version thusly:
ATKINZ PWNS 0RNISH D!ET!!!111

Fark.com has: "Atkins diet performs best in longest-running, largest head to head comparison of popular diet plans. Suck it, vegans"

Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 13:26

Plan: eat less, exercise more
Stats: 229/185/154 Male 66 inches
BF:41%/28%/13%
Progress: 59%

You can always count on Fark. Maybe I should dust off my old login and pay a visit there.

Or not.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 13:40

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

A good study relating to this topic can be found here.

Dr. Eades blogged about it HERE.

Dr. Mike's quote sums it up impeccably:

Quote:
An interesting aspect of this study, to me, at least, was the fact that there was NO correlation with an increase or decrease of waist size with caloric intake. It wasn’t the number of calories consumed that caused the change, it was what those calories were made of. So, that makes this another one of the growing list of studies that throws a wrench into the works of the a-calorie-is-a-calorie set. As we all know, it’s not just the caloric content of the food we eat, it is also what those calories do to us metabolically.
To anyone who understands that calories have an effect beyond the amount of energy they provide, this study makes perfect sense. For those who can’t see beyond the energy content, this study is a real head scratcher.

At some point someone in academia is going to realize that the old calories in equals calories out model doesn’t work. I read a paper recently from a researcher at the University of California at San Francisco who is sniffing around the edges, but based on the conclusions he has drawn, the depth of his dumbth is of cavernous proportions. I’m saving his paper for a future post.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 14:44

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

A great blog entry from Dr John Briffa in the UK:

Click here: Study confirms superior effectiveness of low-carb eating for weight loss

Quote:
However, there is another fundamental reason why low-carb diets may be the best for us: they mirror the diet we are designed for.

Through the process of evolution, we have become best suited to the foods which we had access to. For the vast majority of our time on this planet this meant a diet based on meat, fish, vegetable matter, fruit, nuts and seeds. Analysis of primitive hunter-gatherer diets allows us a window into our evolutionary diet. It turns out that compared to the primitive diet which we evolved on, the typical Western diet is significantly lower in protein and fat, while being much richer in carbohydrate.

Put another way, compared to the typical Western diet, the Atkins’ diet and other low-carb approaches are much more in keeping with the diet we, as a species, are best suited to from a genetic, metabolic, biochemical and physiological perspective. Let’s not be too surprised, then, that such as diet brings more benefits for health than higher-carb, lower-fat approaches traditionally touted as ‘healthy’.

Very nicely put

Last edited by Demi : Wed, Mar-07-07 at 14:49.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: Variations of Low Carb
Stats: 159/148.2/128 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 35%

This has been splattered all over the news channels and my local news. LOL I love it. They are trying to say it doesnt work, even when the results show it does. On the morning shows, they had "expert nutritionists" saying neither low carb now high grains are ideal- and that you need the right balance..yadda yadda. She went on to say how Atkins dieters have Nasty breath and other Nasty things (I have no idea what they were referring to in that latter part). And that Atkins works for the first two times you do it, but then after that it doesnt work. (huh??)

To me- What works is what is simple. Now if only i could get that through my own thick head....hehe.... I always seem to want to over complicate my diet (ie: the sugar coated butter nuts i bought from target last nigh, knowing i am super addicted to them, but still insisted on buying just to proove that yes- i can eat 1/2 a jar at one sitting. EEK)

Anyhow- Atkins is NOT going ANYWHERE!!! (Especially if we have something to say about it).
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 15:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/155/130 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Atkins tops 3 other popular diets..

#67   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 22:32

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 405/350/220 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Diva
Certainly the medical establishment has believed this for years. Don't you think, with what you have learned about low carb that that is a bit of over simplification?

I know we humans don't want to believe simple stuff, but it is oh, so true. There is simply no evidence to the contrary. No doubt Atkins works better than other plans. Certainly burning fat for fuel leads to a loss of "unburned" fat in the urine and breath, which can count for a very small caloric "burn" (a few calories a day). But simply, there is no way to lose weight other than putting in less fuel than is used (or discarded sometimes) by the body. It really is that simple.

That said, I am not trying to be controversial. My wife and I have been doing Atkins for 60 days and we feel fabulous and have lost weight and inches. But a big reason is because a) we are not starving due to fluctuating blood glucose levels, and b) we simply cannot eat as many calories by eating fat and protein as we did eating carbs. We would have to eat most of the time. I can eat a 300 calorie piece of beef that fills me up, when it used to take 2 500 calorie donuts and half of a third to do the same. Calories count.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 22:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin
You are completely full of BS. I don't know what weak people you usually beat up, pick on, and lie to -- but it will not work here.

The facts are -- many Atkins people lose weight and improve their health by eating more calories - but simply change what they eat. The facts are - by simply changing your nutrition changes an awful lot about your health.

Are you trying to tell me that in the last 20 years -- as people moved away from whole, natural (unprocessed) foods -- that have to be cooked -- that our health has gotten better?

Other countries use to make fun of us. Now that they have adopted our eating of high glycemic foods out of a box, bag, or other wrapper -- what has happened to their health?

Are you trying to tell all of us that ate more and lost weight and improved weight -- did not really do it? Are you calling millions of us liars?

Low carb research goes back over 100 years.

Please start thinking.

Obviously personal attacks and hyperbole are your preferred method of tantruming. Thus I will stop engaging in a battle of intellect with an unarmed person, and have a reaonable discussion with others.
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 22:53

Plan: Atkins/IF
Stats: 12/06/04 Female 5' 1.5
BF:
Progress: 75%

From Atkins DANDR, p. 143: "Although there is no need to count calories, they do matter. Gaining weight results in taking in more calories than you expend through exercise, thermogenesis (the body's own heat production), and other metabolic functions. Research has shown that on a controlled carbohydrate program, more calories are burned than in a low-fat/high-carb diet, so there is a certain metabolic advantage to the controlled carb approach."

There you have it from the horse's mouth. Elsewhere in DANDR, I believe Dr Atkins states (I paraphrase), "calories do count, but carbs count more."

Anecdotal evidence on this board suggests that on a LC approach, one can consume more calories without weight gain than on other approaches, but only to a certain extent. It is possible to gain weight on LC if one overeats. But in my experience, and as others suggest, it's a lot harder.

Rachel
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 05:32

Plan: lc
Stats: 93/75/74 Male 181
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
But simply, there is no way to lose weight other than putting in less fuel than is used (or discarded sometimes) by the body.
yes, AND or BUT, changes in the macronutrient composition of your diet will change how much energy you expend regardless of physical activity levels.

Last edited by pbowers : Thu, Mar-08-07 at 05:44.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 05:41

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Quote:
originally posted by elpasopop
we simply cannot eat as many calories by eating fat and protein as we did eating carbs

That experience is true of many people on this board. But there are also many who are now eating more calories than they did previously and are still losing or maintaining instead of gaining!
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 07:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

Ok, lets make this a bit clearer, shall we?

Nobody here disagrees that there is some calorie intake level on a low carb dietary approach at which a particular individual will gain bodyfat. For most of the people here that calorie intake is so high that the natural hunger limiting effect of a low carb diet makes it quite difficult to achieve.

Many others on this board do still have to exercise some restraint with calorie intake, even in the context of a low carb diet, to prevent bodyfat gain and/or continue losing.

But that individual calorie intake break even point (bodyfat equilibrium) is always much higher with a low carb dietary approach than any other. Just how much higher varies between individuals.

I don't think anyone is really arguing that for bodyfat loss to occur more calories have to be expended or exreted than you consume.

The point is, with a low carb dietary approach you burn and excrete a lot more calories. So the calories consumed on a low carb diet might indeed be greater than before low carb and bodyfat loss still occurs.

Last edited by kneebrace : Thu, Mar-08-07 at 09:03.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 07:40
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi-
interesting thread, and I want to thank the posters for the links to the original article and the media coverage of the study.

Elpasopop- please modify your blanket statement, and instead state that in your opinion, FOR YOU, reduced caloric intake is the reason why you think Atkins is working FOR YOU. One of the problems with large controlled studies is that all individual differences are washed out- that is rarely addressed. I respectfully disagree with you, FOR ME- an N of 1.
For ME, caloric restriction has nothing to do with my weight loss and stabilization over the last 3.5 years. LC has corrected my insulin resistance. However, I would also respectfully submit that you and I are different.Which is okay- it 's one of the things that keeps life interesting!

[BTW- a study published in the last 3 years reported that people on LC lost more weight than Low Fat, despite eating an average of 300 calories a day more than the Low Fat group. (Can somone find it- it is in this forum.)]
E
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 07:41

BF:

From Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, 1972, page 275:

"Q Don't calories play any role?
A There's no question - of course they do. A 1,500 calorie, ten gram diet will take more weight off-and more quickly--than a 2,000 calorie 10-gram diet. If you can cut down on your quantities, you are better off to do so -- but not when it gets to the point where you have to put up with discomfort or hunger. However, as a traditional overeater, you may have built up a mistaken impression of how much food it takes to satisfy you. On this diet there is a new level of satiety to become familiar with--try eating less and you'll find you are just as comfortable as when you ate more on a higher carboydrate diet. I'm not saying that "calories don't count.""

--page 275. This ought to end all debate really, along with Rachel's quotation from DANDR above.

Calories matter. You can't lose weight without burning more than you take in. That doesn't mean that calorie burn (including use and disposal via ketones) isn't a little different on Atkins, but it does mean that you have to account for the energy someplace.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Mar-08-07, 07:55
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
[BTW- a study published in the last 3 years reported that people on LC lost more weight than Low Fat, despite eating an average of 300 calories a day more than the Low Fat group. (Can somone find it- it is in this forum.)]

I don't have the link handy, but the lead researcher (if anyone wants to PubMed for it) is Penelope Greene (GREENE P in PubMed) from Harvard.