Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 21:19

Plan: Non specific
Stats: 189/157.8/137 Female 66 inches
BF:37.8%/27?/23
Progress: 60%
Default Parmesan Scallops

This recipe is absolutely delicious and only takes about 20 minutes to prepare. It is number one on my family's list- and that includes all three kids! (quite a feat) It was adapted from a book- the book lists it as 6 carbs...I changed some of the spices...but think it should still be about the same with regard to carbs.

PARMESAN SCALLOPS
1-2 pounds of scallops (bay or sea scallops, doesn't matter)
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp pepper (preferably white)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp flour (bad I know but it's only 2 tbsp!)
a handful or two of bread crumbs (preferably lc)
parmesan cheese
4 tbsp butter

Heat chicken broth, pepper and nutmeg over medium high heat until boiling.
Add scallops and wait until it returns to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 2-3 minutes...just until cooked. Remove scallops with slotted spoon and put aside in a bowl, covered loosely to keep warm. Reserve cooking liquid. Preheat broiler.

Melt 2 tbsp butter in saucepan. Add flour and stir until the flour disappears. Add 1/2 cup of cooking liquid (the broth stuff) and the cream. Cook on low about 2 minutes, just until sauce thickens.

Toss scallops and sauce into a baking dish. Top with parmesan cheese to taste, (I use a lot) bread crumbs and little pieces of butter. Broil for three minutes, just until cheese starts to brown. Enjoy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 21:25
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

this sounds great! I have to go shopping now
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 04:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/216/190 Male 70.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

>>2 tbsp flour (bad I know but it's only 2 tbsp!)<<

Dear MyMadori,

If you'll go to Netrition.com you can get a low carb flour and/or ThickenThin Not Starch. You can use that instead of the flour and it works extremely well.

The nerds at Atkins will tell you that you can't buy Atkin's Bake Mix or Thicken Thin Not Starch but that's a lie. They refused to give me the manufacturer's name saying it was proprietary information which was another lie. After some searching I found it and it is extremely reasonable at Netrition.com

Hope this helps.

Pianofritz in North Carolina
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-28-07, 07:30
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

http://www17.netrition.com/low_carb_products_page.html netrition is great for finding low carb and no carb stuff, if you live in the US, shipping is flat rate at 4.95 an order. Right now I am hopeing for another warm up, because they will not ship davinchi syrups if it is too cold, I can get some flavors at walmart, but not the varity.