Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-07, 14:48

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Male -
BF:
Progress:

searched through the usda's datasheet on thiamine a little more thoroughly and found that both brazilnuts and pistachios (neither legumes) are also better sources of b1 than any on the world's heathliest foods' list.

brazil nuts contain .3 mgs/30grams of nuts and pistachios about .25 mgs/30 grams. raw oat bran is also very high (1.1 mgs/94 grams)
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/keckwick
Stats: 282/248/210 Male 73
BF:%/34%/25%
Progress: 47%

The low fat kooks are as bad as the global warming nuts. History shows weights have gone steadily up since all the processed carby crap came on the market. Look at cultures that do not get inundated with sugar and processed flour and see how fat they are....They're not.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 16:34

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default working title

From John McDougall's newsletter;

"Low-carbohydrate-high-protein diet and long-term survival in a general population cohort by Antonia Trichopoulou of the University of Athens Medical School published in the on-line version of the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that “…higher intake of carbohydrates was associated with significant reduction of total mortality, whereas higher intake of protein was associated with nonsignificant increase of total mortality… with respect to both cardiovascular and cancer mortality.”1

A daily increase of 15 grams of protein and a decrease of 50 grams of carbohydrate was associated with a 22% increase in overall mortality. In practical terms this could translate into 1 1/2 ounces more of chicken and a decrease of one potato could shorten your life by years"

Okay first; higher protein was associated with a nonsignificant increase of total mortality. High carbohydrate was associated with a decrease in mortality. So in his need to show that evildoers who eat animal flesh will be smitten, he pairs the carbohydrate with the protein and gives their combined effect on mortality.

Second, I just went to a chemotherapy site (Chemocare.com) to check out recommended diet for cancer patients, and a high protein nutrient diet (but not so far as atkins) is suggested to try to avoid malnutrition during treatment. My point being that the sickness that precedes death may, directly or indirectly, change the mix of a person's diet prior to death.

People following the Dr Bernstein diet might not live as long as the general population, But what needs to be shown is whether they do better than the general population of those with diabetes.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-07, 13:16

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

i'm 63 and it said 63,33 I'm dead ....lol
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 07:05
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
My brother and his wife have fallen under the sway of McDougall. *sigh* I did briefly in the 1990's.

Ok, on his bio he is on the board of PCRM and also this group:
http://www.activistcash.com/organiz...view.cfm?oid=14
snippet

And here's what is said about PCRM:
http://www.activistcash.com/organiz...view.cfm/oid/23

Great post and all true. I know because I was involved with that stuff myself before I came to my senses.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-07, 10:49

Plan: Nutritarian
Stats: 248/208/168 Male 5'9"
BF:Waist 46?/34/?
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by venter
we need the OA, but how has the author defined low-carb? furthermore, atkins diets etc. are not high-protein, but high-fat. something tells me that if there were some deletrious effect of fat consumption on longevity it would have been noted.

i tried to get the OA, but it's unavailable even with university privileges.

Only vegans allowed to get it, but I like a good debate, so I will share the PDF with anyone who wants it. Please PM me and I will send it out.

Last edited by NorthPeace : Sat, Aug-25-07 at 11:10.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Aug-28-07, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb(my own)Pregnant
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 21%

that is funny

#53   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-07, 10:16

Plan: first Atkins plan
Stats: 270/232/154 Female 66 inches
BF:sz 24-26 /22/ 12
Progress: 33%

Should I call the undertaker?
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-07, 10:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 333.7/325.2/285 Female 68
BF:lard/butter/cream
Progress: 17%

My life expectancy is 90.29 yrs. and that was using my current weight with no exercise!

My real life expectancy without LC? 56.4 yrs.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 09:41

BF:

The team that came up with the study McDougall talks about is constantly generating studies maligning animal protein as a food. To calibrate your instruments, read this abstract in which they show that people who eat higher levels of protein have higher BMI's, and conclude that protein causes obesity! No mention is made of body fat here--just BMI.

Lipid, protein and carbohydrate intake in relation to body mass index
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 11:36

Plan: Atkins-ish/IF-ish
Stats: 385/278/180 Female 5'10"
BF:something, maybe
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoLight
My life expectancy is 90.29 yrs. and that was using my current weight with no exercise!

You and me both! My life expectancy based on my current weight, eating LC and with little exercise is 88.84 years. If I continue to lose weight on LC and exercise a little more, it may or may not increase, but I can be damn sure it'll be more fun.

I think I'll stick with LC, thank you.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 240/180/180 Male 6'2"
BF:9.5%
Progress: 100%

Normally, on a thread like this, you would have Whoa plunging into the fray in full battle gear. Whatever happened to him? Not interested in diet any more or did his high carb low calorie got to him?
I miss him he was always stirring the pot.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-07, 12:56

Plan: Nutritarian
Stats: 248/208/168 Male 5'9"
BF:Waist 46?/34/?
Progress: 50%

Ok I read the thing right through. I don't see anything in the data that suggests that high protein consumption is dangerous. But I think I have an explanation for why carbohydrate consumpton correlates with lower mortality. Compared to the rest of the world, their sources of carbs are higher quality and more protective against chronic disease. The Greeks with the higher carb intakes are probably eating more fruit and vegetables. If the researchers were paying more attention to longevity and less to LC/HP, they would have examined the sources of the calories.
xxxxx
Fruit and Vegetable Consumption (% of calories):
Greece: 9.6%
Canada: 5.7%
169 country average: 5.4%
Source: FAO

Last edited by NorthPeace : Sun, Oct-14-07 at 00:18.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 12:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/122/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hey Ron, so sorry to hear of your demise.

I was suprised to find out that my life expentancy is 85.5 yrs, so I've still got 22 more yrs ahead of me according to this.
Yet, 3 years ago I was advised by my (then) cadiologist to get on the heart transplant list. I didn't.

So what is it that killed you?
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-07, 17:04

BF:

I love kicking dead horses. From the study;

"In models with energy adjustment, higher intake of carbohydrates was associated with significant reduction of total mortality, whereas higher intake of protein was associated with nonsignificant increase of total mortality (per decile, mortality ratios 0.94 with 95% CI 0.89 -0.99, and 1.02 with 95% CI 0.98 -1.07 respectively)."

I take energy adjustment to mean that someone who ate a thousand calories with half of that as carbohydrate would be weighted the same as someone who ate four thousand calories with half of that as carbohydrate. A low calorie, "high" carbohydrate diet is well known to extend life in every creature they've checked so far, so why not human? I know all of the high carbers couldn't have been picky eaters, so where do the rest come from? Some of the highest carb diet eaters around my neighbourhood are bodybuilders and distance athletes. (And sprinters and hill bikers and what not.)
Since the mortality rate wasn't all that different between high and low carbohydrate consumption, I don't think you need much more than this to explain the difference.
This for Whoa--restricting protein or methionine by twenty percent extends life in rodents longer than restricting carbs. An essential difference, though, is that while there is a limit to protein restriction, there is no limit to carb restriction, that is, they can be entirely cut from the diet, and replaced with fat. Is there any reason to assume that fat restriction extends life at all? I've seen no studies (I've looked) so far that suggest that it does. (I'm talking the double blind with controls on animals in the lab type studies here.)
This particular study seems to show that high carbs extend life, and that protein shortens it, but the protein shortens it by so little, that it can't be protein replacing carbs that shortens life, but rather fat replacing carbs. Why don't these idiots make that claim, that fat shortens life? It just didn't fit their agenda. So, what we're left with, is the kinds of fat they eat in Greece, those famous Mediterranean monounsaturated fatty acids, the saintly olive oil, is bad for you? (Maybe they've replaced those with polyunsaturated fat like the rest of us, which might explain a few things...) If animal fat were the problem, protein should have been more highly correlated with death.

Last edited by teaser : Thu, Oct-18-07 at 17:11.