Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 03:18

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The stunning size 12 model branded 'too fat' for TV competition

he Daily Mail
London, UK
27 November, 2006

Poured into a gold swimsuit, Make Me A Supermodel winner Jen Hunter looks as if this outfit was custom-made for her.

But the one-piece triggered a furious row about stick-thin models when her rival finalist Marianne Berglund appeared painfully underweight in the same attire.

Curvy Jen Hunter and skinny Marianne Berglund

Appearing here for the first time in the outfit which sparked the debate about size zero models, Miss Hunter - who was criticised on the show for being too fat - said: "This is what a real woman should look like.

"I am all curves and flesh, not skin and bone. Boys, who would you rather snuggle up to?"

Looking as different as chalk and cheese, the swimwear clings to Miss Hunter's voluptuous curves and reveals acres of cleavage while on clinically underweight Miss Berglund, it shows her protruding hips and ribs and appears to hang off her.

Barmaid Miss Hunter, 24 - who weighs 11 stone and is a healthy size 12 (US10) - was reduced to tears when she was castigated on the reality TV show for not taking a food and exercise regime seriously.

Judge Tandy Anderson, managing director of Select Model Management, criticised her for having "stocky" legs while supermodel Rachel Hunter, a fellow panellist, reprimanded her for saying she wanted to prove larger women could be successful models.

Swedish blonde Miss Berglund, 18, who made it to the final with her, was meanwhile praised for having a "sensational" body for modelling despite having a body mass index of 16.1.

It fell well below the minimum BMI of 18 for models taking part in Madrid Fashion Week in September, set after catwalk model Luisel Ramos dropped dead from self-starvation.

But mother-of-one Miss Hunter triumphed when viewers voted her to the top female slot in the contest - and claimed she owed her success to her favourite dish of hotpot and chips.

In a refreshing admission which will have millions of women breathing a sigh of relief - and letting out their stomachs - she said: "It's fantastic to know the public prefer a woman with a few wobbly bits over a stick insect.

"I am a northern lass - I like my hotpot and my shepherd's pie and I have a very sweet tooth.

"My wardrobe is stuffed with clothes that don't fit but I scrub up pretty well. I like to think men see me as a yummy mummy."

Her confession comes after a chorus of calls for the fashion industry to stop using stick-thin and underweight models. Designer Giorgio Armani recently took a stand by banning size zero models from his shows.

Wigan-born Miss Hunter, who beat five female hopefuls to the top slot after refusing to bow to pressure, claimed her win proved women could not relate to skinny models.

The divorcee triumphed over eight-stone Miss Berglund - who was dubbed "the walking skeleton" - but was beaten to the overall prize of a modelling contract by a male competitor.

In a blog diary she kept throughout the show, in which she cheekily gave herself the nickname "fat bird," she announced: "I am doing this for every hardworking single mum and every woman who isn't a size eight (US6) or below.

"You don't have to be a size eight to be beautiful. I am trying to change an industry that is so set in its ways and its definition of what is beautiful. It is so hard and harsh at times.

"You analyse every step you make, every mouth full of food you take. As long as I am being me, I am not going to regret anything I do."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/li...in_page_id=1773

Last edited by Demi : Mon, Nov-27-06 at 03:25.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 07:48
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I think by voting her to the win, the viewers made a real statement.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 08:23
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I agree, good for the viewers! We need to keep talking about this. It's not the only answer, but if we can make enough noise about not wanting walking skeletons to be our definition of beauty in the fashion world, maybe, eventually, we, as a society, can return to learning to see the beauty in all body shapes.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 09:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

One looks sexy, one does not.

Does anyone find the extremely thin creatures coming out of Hollywood sexy at all? They are not thin women, or even petite ones; they are skeletal with pronounced shoulderblades, protruding elbows that look like hachets. Some of them honestly look about dead. That's what the second woman looks like to me.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was watching something about a model on TV and they mentioned the plus sized model was a size 12. I thought... "Plus size starts at size 12 now?"
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 10:19
Fully Caffeinated

Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

10 in US sizes.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 11:04

Plan: 00000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Yay for gorgeous curvy girls! THAT is why my goal is a size 10!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 11:08

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 296/178/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Much less
Progress: 81%

I honestly can't see how anyone, except other anorexics, could think the second model looks good. I find it hard to believe she even weighs the 112 pounds that she claims--unless she is 6 feet tall. Sad. So sad.

Sunny!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 18:38

Plan: VLC
Stats: 198/150/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

The second girl has bags under her eyes. It really makes her look like she's starving. (Or that she just got done throwing up.)

The first girl looks sexy, sexy, sexy! Talk about a blond bombshell!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 19:21

Stats: 205/175/165 Male 72 in
BF:29%/24%/22%
Progress: 75%

I'll take model #1
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 19:21
lcgrrl2006

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Size 12 is my goal size. 12 says "skinny" to me. Plus size? Absurd. Denise
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 20:06

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

This is a fantastic story. We have been complaining here over and over about how we don't relate to anorexic looking women. We know, or at least strongly suspect that most men most definitively do not like waif thin girls. But it's like the whole fashion industry lives in la la land. There is a total disconnect with what women really like.

I doubt that this will change anything. But at least I feel vindicated that our suspicious was right and not limited to the people here.

And god that model. Nevermind her body. Her face looks awful. She look so drawn and tired. While Ms hunter face is glowing with health.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-06, 23:45
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

I've read before that 10-12 is considered a "plus-size" model. And they often photograph 6' models in "petite" clothes (against a wall, so you can't see the scale). How you're supposed to have any idea how the clothes will actually look on YOU is anyone's guess (unless you're a gazelle).
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 01:39

Plan: Atkins OWL or abouts...
Stats: 195/188/165 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

One word.

Wow.

That's amazing how crazy this industry is. The size 12 looks so much better and beautiful!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-06, 06:08

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I'm a woman, but I personally cannot imagine any man choosing to mate with the second model. First, she's so thin that she's likely not healthy enough for childbearing. Second, you'd have to put some padding over those sharp hipbones or you could hurt yourself! Third, her face looks drawn and sad.

But the voluptuous model (remember when that was a GOOD word?) looks healthy, full of vitality, smiling and fun...and she would probably order real food at a restaurant and enjoy it, rather than pick-and-vomit the way many of the overthin girls do. She just looks like more fun to me. No only that, but you could have a romp in the hay (so to speak) without fear of breaking her in two or injuring yourself!!