Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 07:12

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

talper,

It is highly recommended that people with Psoriasis visit Israel and indulge themselves in the Dead Sea and then lye naked in the sun because the strength of the sun in Israel. There are therapy clinic's there that have areas - they call atrium's - for them to do this and feel comfortable around others in the same situation.

If you don’t have the availability to lay out naked where you live maybe you can look into one of those clinics. Not for the Psoriasis treatment but for the naked sun exposure.

Nikki
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan: dfsd
Stats: 160/454/150 Male 185
BF:
Progress:
Default zuliekka

zuliekka:

thanks for your response.
you said i should take 10000-20000, thats only in tabltes??
how far i can get with 2000iu and lets say 2X of 15 minutes a day in the hot sun?
is it possible to treat the deficiency like that?
i dont have an option to buy more here, and the most we have here is 1000iu, but only with presctiption, authorization etc.......so not sure i can bring the vitamin in.
the problem, is that in each tabltes there is 1000iu vitamin a, so i take 5000-6000 vitamin a a day!! is it ok? (not hard to swallow those pillls)

what would be a good prognosa? i mean, by going with 2000-2400iu a day+2x times in the sun, how farm can i go?
i much of increasei should see in lets say 2 months from 16 to what?
and again-how far can i go with it?

nikki-much more easier to lye on the beach of the dead sea after you went outside the sea.....
we have here dead sea salt, but not sure how i can go outside the house(naked) to the sun just after i took a bath.
i guess i will have to consume vitamin d manually mostly, and go 2X outside...
(i dont go much anyway like i used to because im in so much pains)

thanks
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 09:25

Plan: Self-Made LC
Stats: 255/129/150 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 120%

Taper,

You are lucky to have the freebie of the Israel Sun, I would do all in my power to get as much of it as I can - that will out weigh taking anything orally.

Nikki

Last edited by NYNikki : Thu, Oct-12-06 at 09:51.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 11:42
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default zuliekka

zulieikaa:

im going to order from us 2000iu(per drop) vitamin d in drops.
is it ok to use?

sounds wired that its 700+ drops so its 700X2000iu in only 18 dollars.

what do you say? worth buying drops?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 12:04
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by talper
zulieikaa:

im going to order from us 2000iu(per drop) vitamin d in drops.
is it ok to use?

sounds wired that its 700+ drops so its 700X2000iu in only 18 dollars.

what do you say? worth buying drops?
I use the drops.

15 minutes x 2 is probably not enough sun exposure. Each time you need to stay in the sun until you get slightly pink however long that takes. When you start, it probably won't be too long but you will build a tolerance as your D stores build up.

You can imporove on sun and supplements.

I can't tell you what you level you will rise to within what time period. I can tell you it will take at least 3 months of treatment to correct the deficiency. It could take over six months or even nine months to rise from 16 to above 75, which is where you should be.

And you will have to be diligent about getting sufficient sun for the rest of your life or you will become deficient again.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Thu, Oct-12-06 at 12:17.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 13:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

zulieikaa..... here its only allowed to sell 400iu(as it the best amount describing by i dont know who...)
do you think i may have a problem get here 2000iu vitamin d drops, through mail?
i mean, the mail office assume that if i got it to ship to me, i have a prescription(if i need one) because i cant buy it without one (im talking about more serious stuff like for example prozak or thyroid medications), right?
i mean, they cant just band it to here, when you dont even need a prescription to buy it oversea.
if its not industrial quantity, they will allow it, right?
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 20:29

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default dear heart,

You are asking Americans to tell you how the Israeli postal service operates. We will probably not be able to tell you accurately.

I know I can get most of what I want through the US Mail, as long as nobody thinks to pay attention to what I'm ordering. I suspect that if I suddenly started ordering substances on someone's watch list, I might get treated differently.

True, D3 is not a controlled substance here. Do you have anyone you know who orders supplements internationally? Might be worth a new question on this forum, actually; there was a woman from somewhere in South America who had a similar problem a while back. But hers was as much infrastructure as law, I suspect.

Are there any locally-based internet forums where people might discuss how to solve this problem? You can't be the only person nearby looking for stronger supplements.

Good luck.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 03:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress:
Default vitamin d deficiency

Good luck to you. I would like to know how you doing.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 15:53
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%

I just knew that the Vitamin D princess, Zulieikaa, was going to swoop down and smack you with her vitamin D wand.

She is the lady that knows vitamin D forwards and backwards, in and out, up one side and down the other.

BTW, could I also get you to take a high quality multi-vitamin and fish oil?

Real fish oil has high amounts of vitamin D.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 12:21
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

kebaldwin, zuliekaa and all the others:

i have no other purpses then get me very chronic severe full body pains out!!
this is the only reason, and its first and not second.
i first think of what will help me to vanish my pains, and then after i will do it, i will think about good supplement to take so i wont get this or this or this in the future.
all i care about now is my pains.

is it -very- rare for a 18 yo male to have such big vitamin d deficiency?
i mean, it takes time to show up(years), and for example, 26 yo has 8 years advantage on me.
thats wired, because from what i know it takes time to show the deficiency, and i only have this chronic pains for 10 months! so i had probably the deficiency before, but i went to school every morning and got sun! thats why its wired.
its not like i was in the house day by day, all year long.

do you think my problm and pains are vitamin d deficiency?
i mean, there is this thought that fibromyalgia(the doc diagnosed me by tender points) is just a vit d deficiency.
if it was the case millions of people wouldnt suffer now.
but im talking on my case only.
18 yo with severe pains that started after weightlifting and very low level of vitamin d in that age???? sounds wired, right?

also i have wired picture of "fibromyalgia"- although i did have tender points, looks like the pains kept coming, and i can maybe point to 10-15 ---exact--- points(including wrist, fingers etc) that i have pains in them, where as , fibro is more "pains all over".....

so, is it really wired for 18yo to be deficient?
and how many iu of vitamin d a day i should take if im level is 16 ng/ml, and i have severe joint pains, to feel better and make the pains go away??

thanks
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 15:38
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%

I am not picking on you or any other kids ...

but the way kids eat now a days - I am surprised that they make it to 18.

IMHO - the primary thing that Dr Atkins was trying to say -- was nutrition plays a huge role in your overall health. And the way people eat now a days -- they eat a lot -- but get almost zero nutrition.

I find it hard to believe that someone is deficient in only vitamin D - or any other single vitamin or mineral. A lot of type 2 diabetics argue that they are deficient in vitamin (is it B6 or B12). When I know they are deficient usually in a lot of other vitamins as well.

The problem is that if you go to a doctor -- they are trained that each problem has one and only one solution. So your doctor said one vitamin.

But if you switch to a low carb diet, take a high quality mega multi-vitamin and fish oil, and get some exercise (just walking if you are heavy) -- you will find many, many problems are cured.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Oct-15-06, 16:39
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebaldwin
But if you switch to a low carb diet, take a high quality mega multi-vitamin and fish oil, and get some exercise (just walking if you are heavy) -- you will find many, many problems are cured.
You are so totally right. I had some minor health problems that I never connected to my diet, and once I got on low-carb and started eating right...BOOM...my health problems went away.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 06:53

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Default Missing the point....

Quote:
i first think of what will help me to vanish my pains, and then after i will do it, i will think about good supplement to take so i wont get this or this or this in the future.

Our point: You may NOT "vanish your pains" with vitamin-D only treatment. It is certainly a factor. But we have learned through years of experience that there are very few physical problems that are completely vanquished with just one pill. Whole-body problems need whole-body cures, and a full-spectrum supplement won't make it any worse.

I don't know why an 18-yo man would face these problems. I can imagine that perhaps the stress level in your life is high; for some people, that's a trigger. Maybe something happened to your mother while you were before you were born that made you more susceptible--something she may never even have noticed at the time. We know that sometimes, even something that happened to the father can be transmitted through the sperm cell.

So: Maybe it will be revealed in time; maybe you are the vanguard or index case of an epidemic of young men in your culture who are suffering from a here-to-fore unknown syndrome. Hard to say when there's only one rat in the study. The trick is, do what you can to get better. You're of limited use to yourself or anybody as long as your pain as debilitating as you are experiencing it.

William Osler, a famous American doctor who has been dead a long time, once said, "The best prescription for a long life is to get a chronic disease early and learn to take care of it." You have the first part. It's possible that by the time you are 40, this may turn out to have been a good thing, although I realize it's hard to see it that way now. Good luck.

BTW: I think you mean "weird." "Wired" almost works in some of your sentences, but does send the reader off in a different direction.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 12:16
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
kebaldwin, zuliekaa and all the others:

i have no other purpses then get me very chronic severe full body pains out!!
this is the only reason, and its first and not second.

is it -very- rare for a 18 yo male to have such big vitamin d deficiency?
i mean, it takes time to show up(years), and for example, 26 yo has 8 years advantage on me.
thats wired, because from what i know it takes time to show the deficiency, and i only have this chronic pains for 10 months! so i had probably the deficiency before, but i went to school every morning and got sun! thats why its wired.
its not like i was in the house day by day, all year long.

do you think my problm and pains are vitamin d deficiency?
i mean, there is this thought that fibromyalgia(the doc diagnosed me by tender points) is just a vit d deficiency.
if it was the case millions of people wouldnt suffer now.
but im talking on my case only.
18 yo with severe pains that started after weightlifting and very low level of vitamin d in that age???? sounds wired, right?

also i have wired picture of "fibromyalgia"- although i did have tender points, looks like the pains kept coming, and i can maybe point to 10-15 ---exact--- points(including wrist, fingers etc) that i have pains in them, where as , fibro is more "pains all over".....

so, is it really wired for 18yo to be deficient?
and how many iu of vitamin d a day i should take if im level is 16 ng/ml, and i have severe joint pains, to feel better and make the pains go away??

thanks

The answer again is it depends. There was a study where 87% of African American adolescents that were tested were deficient in vitamin D...and that was using current lab ranges...so they were really severely deficient.

They tested Arab men and adolescents in the Middle East and they were severely deficient in vitamin D also.

So it could be if you are usually covered with clothes and/or habitually use sunscreen.

But cs_carver is right. It's usually not one deficiency alone but many together...overall nutritional deficiency.

And bone pain is usually a calcium deficiency as well as a vitamin D deficiency. It takes vitamin D to make calcium work.

Again, I've given you a suggestion on how much vitamin D to take already. You can go up from there.

But the easiest and cheapest would be to be as much safe sun as possible.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 15:52
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

zulieikka, i will take your suggestion.
i just ordered 2000iu drops (750 per ounce????!?!?).
the doc i ordered from told me i should take 5 drops a day, so you are definatly not the only one thinks that.
in order to get this from the pills i have now, i will have to take 25 pills a day!!! (a 100 pills package for 4 days only, and 25000 vitamin a every d..... lol).

although he told me its not that important to take calcium with that(i had normal level) i have a cakcium package here, so i will take also.

zulieikaa, do you know what is alkp? in the last 4(period of 1-2 years) tests i had 3 of them above the level, and one(the third i took)was normal.
i know alkp is vitamin d related..........
i have zilber in the liver(no meaning) and the doc told me it doesnt make the alkp go high.

talking about supplements, i also have here pau d arco, a little vitamin c, some calcium.....
i had fish oil-omega 3, but not sure where it is.

oh and btw-zulieikaa, i know that vitamin d help absorb the calcium, and calcium is important for the bones, and i beat you to it, and started taking calcium 4-5 days ago when i started vitamin d.

but my calcium level was perfectly fine, after the pains started.
how is that?
i probably(well for sure i guess) had low vitamin d then(9-10 months ago), but still the calcium was normal.

'thanks