Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 16:36
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmajic
Also L-Glutamine and Magnesium supplements are something I am willing to try, but again how will they interfere with the other meds?

L-Glutamine and magnesium shouldn't interfere with meds. I've been taking both of them while on a standard dose of Celexa (40mg). I'd be more careful of the 5-HTP because that would be adding an herbal AD to a prescription AD.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 20:59

Plan: glycemic index
Stats: 240/228/185 Female 5ft 8inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Thanks, I guess I had better leave well enough alone!
I will just stay on the zoloft and not take the 5-htp.
I do well on the zoloft but just a big appetite.
Try to stick to the lc lifestyle better.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-04-06, 21:01
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrajan
Thanks, I guess I had better leave well enough alone!
I will just stay on the zoloft and not take the 5-htp.

It gave me a big appetite, too, hense the weight gain and my need to count calories in order to lose.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-06, 00:58
Registered Member

Plan: gen'l low carb
Stats: 164.5/150.5/120 Female 5'4"
BF:29%
Progress: 31%

Quote:
snappy, I am on Effexor and am not sure if the weight is not coming off due to that because I also researched the drug and weight gain was not a huge side effect in most people. Thanks for all of your input and I will try to exercise more, although time is limited...thanks again....

there are so many other factors i think in weight loss. age, individual metabolisms, amount of muscle, etc etc etc. i have been losing really slowly and stall frequently, so i understand the frustration. but stick with it. it WILL happen, just maybe not as fast as you would love it to happen.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-06, 02:34

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrajan
I think you have hit on your best solution - make sure you only eat from the allowed list, exercise and drink your water and let the WOE do its work.

Even if it takes longer than others seem to manage, you will get there eventually
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Oct-05-06, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins-induction
Stats: 177/177/150 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I did lose weight about 8 years ago on Atkins, but I wasnt on any meds at the time and of course I was 8 years younger!! But boy did I drop the weight faster! I would really just like a "Jump Start"...does anyone have suggestions for a modified diet where I could maybe drop 5 lbs quickly...I just think once my body really starts losing it will continue...I am probably grasping here but I get so discouraged when I am trying so hard and dont see results....
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-06, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/205/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

What is the name of the anti-depressant? I used to be one that made me gain weight, but can't remember its name. But, I think if you said the name, it would ring a bell.

I just read the other posts, and Effexor was what I was on that made me gain weight; 20# in one year, it was not overeating...
Effexor caused it. I lost 10# in 6 months having no different food intake or exercise ---> after I stopped taking Effexor. I now take Cymbalta and it does not cause weight gain.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-06, 17:13
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiee
What is the name of the anti-depressant? I used to be one that made me gain weight, but can't remember its name. But, I think if you said the name, it would ring a bell.

I just read the other posts, and Effexor was what I was on that made me gain weight; 20# in one year, it was not overeating...
Effexor caused it. I lost 10# in 6 months having no different food intake or exercise ---> after I stopped taking Effexor. I now take Cymbalta and it does not cause weight gain.
Did you have any trouble weening off Effexor? I heard a lot of horror stories when I was co-mod at About.com's Depression forum.

I gained 40 pounds on Zoloft, lost 10 on Atkins before switching to Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin didn't work well so eventually I switched to Celexa, which I am still on. It's a weight gainer, but only because it makes you hungry 24/7 so you overeat without knowing you are. I have to put up with the hunger to lose weight.

Cymbalta might be a good choice in the future. I do better on meds that effect seratonin and I know Cymbalta effects that plus norepinephrine. I'm without insurance, though, so I need to wait to see if the price comes down. I chose Celexa over the other SSRIs because it's the cheapest.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 10:47
Registered Member

Plan: atkins-induction
Stats: 177/177/150 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Has anyone had any adverse effects from Cymbalta? I read the info on website and it does state there were more people with weight loss but I was wondering if anyone doing LC had a weight gain with this product. Effexor was supposed to also suppress my apetite and it did for about a week...now I just cant lose anything. I am not gaining anymore since being on low carb but the whole point it to lose it. I am now going to see my Dr. next week and will ask him about switching to Cymbalta. I will try anything at this point because I feel it just wont come off the traditional way (low carbing and exercising)

I also just purchased some Hoodia! Any hoodia users out there????
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 10:58

Plan: Dr Greg Ellis
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 186 Cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbirth
Did you have any trouble weening off Effexor? I heard a lot of horror stories when I was co-mod at About.com's Depression forum.

I gained 40 pounds on Zoloft, lost 10 on Atkins before switching to Wellbutrin. Wellbutrin didn't work well so eventually I switched to Celexa, which I am still on. It's a weight gainer, but only because it makes you hungry 24/7 so you overeat without knowing you are. I have to put up with the hunger to lose weight.

Cymbalta might be a good choice in the future. I do better on meds that effect seratonin and I know Cymbalta effects that plus norepinephrine. I'm without insurance, though, so I need to wait to see if the price comes down. I chose Celexa over the other SSRIs because it's the cheapest.

SSRI's work because they induce neww cell growth, 5htp wont come anywere near that
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 11:30
Registered Member

Plan: No plan right now
Stats: 148/146/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I also just purchased some Hoodia! Any hoodia users out there????[/QUOTE]

I ordered some Hoodia patches but they haven't arrived yet. Are you using your Hoodia?
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 11:51

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyT
SSRI's work because they induce neww cell growth, 5htp wont come anywere near that

I have to let you know, for your own good, that the way you make dogmatic statements about things on these forums does you more than a little disservice.

Nobody really knows how SSRIs work. Serotonin reuptake inhibition sounds wonderful in theory, but it is just a postulation based upon what happens to serotonin levels when these agents are adminstered. There are lots of other mechanisms by which serotonin levels can be raised.

May I remind everyone here that we are still in the dark ages of medicine, pumping molecules into our bodies in the hope that they will produce desireable effects. The reason why these forums exist is that more people are questioning pharmaceutical spin and the obvious money-making agenda of the medical profession that prefers to 'patch people up' with expensive drugs over permanent solutions to the root causes of their dysfunction.

Be careful with antidepressants. They must not be treated like cure-alls.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 11:53

Plan: gastric bypass surgery
Stats: 259/198/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 51%

my dr. suggested a combination of Lexapro and Phentermine, I was too scared to try that because I don't do well with drugs at all.
Lexapro made me gain weight at first, it makes you sleepy and hungry, but now that I'm used to it, I'm losing weight, just slowly.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 12:24

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

I take Lexapro and when I first started taking it three years ago, I lost 15 pounds and was far too skinny (110 pounds).

Quote:
I really need some advice...I have been on the program now for over 2 weeks and I can't seem to lose more than a pound or two and then I shoot right back up to my start weight. I have been reading Atkins book and found that birth control and anti-depressants can sometimes prohibit weight loss on this program. Has anyone come across this problem and how did they solve it? The book of course recommends coming off of the meds, but I have tried and I really need to take them. So if someone had the same problem and used a vitamin or had success doing something specifically, I would really appreciate a response and am willing to try anything! I walk a mile a day and lift 3 times a week..just a basic workout..I am currently at 180 pounds, 5'5" and am female 42 years old..please help!!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-06, 16:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 215/205/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
After I complained about the Paxil making me gain weight, I was put on Wellbutrin. WOW! was I a bi*ch. My family REALLY insisted I get off it... FAST. I could tell I was rangy.

anyone else ever have this?

yep, doctor switched me to Wellbutrin and in a week I was off it! My husband begged me to get off it, lol PMS has nothing over the effect of Wellbutrin on me,,,