Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 10:15
Registered Member

Plan: Low Low Carb
Stats: 265/255/140 Female 5'9"
BF:more than enough
Progress: 8%
Thumbs up 120lbs to lose/on day 3/anyone else just starting

Hi all!
who else is just starting on this journey, maybe we can keep in touch with each other along the way , it would be neat to be in touch with others on the same day as me ...daily inspiration is a good thing!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/293/150 Male 69 inches
BF:47%
Progress: 5%

Hi Mullberry! I'm on day 6, (this time) but that's close enough, right? It took me 4 days to get into ketosis this time instead of the "normal" three. I started LC about a month ago, but I tripped twice. I really needed to. It showed me that going back is not where I want to be. Good idea having a thread for inductees. We can share our experiences and accomplishments. I am really excited this time! I didn't think I would ever be able to implement change, but I just feel so good! So much more energy! Members here said I would feel the extra energy after the first three days, but I didn't really notice until this third start. I was so used to the fluctuations before, I guess. Now I recognize what is going on! It's more euphoric and more pure than any rush I got from pigging out. Carbs may be an addiction, but I could get addicted to this feeling even more!! I'm not much lighter than when I started this, but I look in the mirror, and just FEEL lighter, you know? I see a future me standing there. For me, having alot of choices for "legal" food is key. I love variety- like anybody, I'm sure. But there is so much that we CAN eat, it's hardly like dieting at all. Once the carb addiction is in perspective, that is. Getting over that mentally was tough, and it isn't over physically yet. I still have flu-like symptoms in the morning. But today I am energized! It is worth it to hang in there!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 15:50
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray_okie
but I look in the mirror, and just FEEL lighter, you know? !!

I totally know that feeling..I haven't gotten on a scale to check, but I feel lighter..maybe it's not feeling so overloaded and bloated from carbs or something but I feel thin! soon my mirror will co-operate...lol...this morning I was def. feeling like I was going into ketosis, but then did a 3 batch experiment making the revolution rolls (have you heard of them or made them) they are basically baked meraginue with the yolks added back, supposed to be like a bread...my first batch was okay, I tried to do better 2 more times but only got worse...gotta get the meraginue making down...it's tricky stuff....but..what I was getting at..they may have thrown me out of heading to ketosis as I don't "FEEL" it so much this afternoon...the yucky mouth is gone...I have ketostix and may test ..I tested last night and it said "no" I was disappointed I thought for sure I was there....are you doing true atkins induction or the meat and egg induction? I've been trying to do the meat and egg thing but keep slipping like today I did eat lettuce and 2 green olives...yesterday I had 2 rings of green pepper...I wonder if it will make a difference...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 16:49
Registered Member

Default ketostix showing a little more

last nite when I tested it said none..today it was a little darker , so I'm getting there..guess I was very carbed up so it's taking me longer to get into full ketosis, I was trying to do the meat/egg fast but am finding it hard..though I am def. staying below 20 carbs..today has been my highest day and I'm at 13, it's because of my lettuce at lunch too...so maybe I will give that up.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 17:52
Registered Member

The ketostix would show the presence of ketones after you already entered the fat burning state. The excess ketones show up in your urine after you achieve ketosis, and since this is only day three for you, you are already ahead of schedule! I don't worry so much about the shade of purple, just as long as I can see that there are enough ketones to get a read. Any at all means it is working, and you are right where you want to be! That bread-like recipe sounds interesting. Where'd you get it? To answer your question, I am doing Atkins induction. I just make sure not to exceed 20g, and I'm alright. Some days I'll only get up to 5, others I teeter closer to the limit. I haven't done the meat and egg, I don't think it makes that much difference as long as I am maintaining my chemical state. You need some fiber from veggies anyway. Also, I think I will extend induction as long as I can. I have heard of people staying in induction for months. Even heard of one woman who said she stays in ketosis as a way of life. Apparently, our bodies run just as efficiently in ketosis as they do in "glucosis". As long as you supplement with a good multivitamin. I'll have to search for more info on it. By the way, beautiful profile picture!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-22-06, 19:26
Registered Member

The Revolution roll recipie is :
Pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees.

You'll need
3 eggs
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 tablespoons of cottage cheese
1 pack of art. sweetener

You seperate the whites and the yolks of 3 eggs (I put the whites in one bowl, and the yolks in another)- the key is don't get any of the yolks into the whites. Add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar to the whites and beat the whites until they are fluffy. This is kind of a personal pref as to how you want the whites to be- to a stiff peak (you can turn the bowl upside down and they won't slide out) or not that much. I usually beat mine to a stiff peak, then fold in the remaining ingredients 3 eggs yolks, 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese, 1 pack of splenda. (I mix the yolks, cottage cheese, sweetener together in the other bowl before I add it to the whites) Don't mix it for more than a minute- so you don't break down the fluffy-ness of the whites.

After it's all mixed, spoon it onto a "Pam-ed" cookie sheet into 6 "piles"- the book says to stack it up 2 inches high per roll, but mine are never that firm to stay stacked, they usually kind of spread out on the sheet.

However they land on the sheet, just pop them into the oven at 300 degrees for an hour.

They kind remind you of a mix between angel food cake and a bun from McDonalds.
They're wonderful for breakfast sandwiches and great with burgers too!
----I got this from another low carb site...------
I tried 3 batches and never got my peaks stiff enough so I'll have to work on it....

Thanks for the compliment on my photo...it's a couple of years old and I wasn't quite as heavy as now but I was still the fatgrrl with the pretty face...my whole life I've heard "you've got such a pretty face if only you would lose weight" imagine being a 12yr old girl and hearing that....and from all kinds of people not just my family...its very annoying and down right rude .......

I'm keeping my carbs below 20 too and plan to just stay under 20 until goal..and maybe forever if thats what it takes to maintain my goal...I'm hoping to stay under 20 for so long that if I ever decide (after goal of course) to have some carbie treat that it will make me sick...maybe I'll kindle an allergy to them,....one can hope.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-06, 00:20
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I am just starting out as well. I actually try not to think about my end goal because it's just too big a deal. Instead I try to think about being a size that can even fit in clothes from the large-size stores... or walk a little more so I can do more with my little girl.

I'd like to live for her. LC is not always easy. But the sheer horror of living so severely overweight in physical terms, never mind the social consequences, is surely worse. I feel as if everything I want to do in my life, maybe even need to do, is prevented by my weight, or in a few cases how I feel about my weight.

I'm doing intermittant fasting along with induction. I can feel the tiny creep of ketones especially at the end of one of the fasting periods, and I have more energy and flexibility already (from water loss), but I am at day 5 and not fully in ketosis yet. I don't have the measure sticks but don't feel I should need them as I know (I did LC twice before tho briefly) when my body "really" shifts I will feel it and taste it. I've decided not to stress about it... it will happen. It's possible the IF is having some slight effect on that, but I wanted to add it to induction so I could tell Dr. Eades who blogged about it and gave me the idea how it worked. I am losing weight (water initially) so I am not complaining!

I just don't want it to be such a big deal. I just want to find enough variety of food I can eat on this plan, some of which is not complicated to make, that I don't have to obsess about it.

I just read the 'Slow Burn' exercise book and I think I can take that approach to exercise. Even if it's a long time before I can do a leg lift, seriously trying in the manner they outline, regularly, ought to eventually lead to the muscle for doing it.

It's nice to meet you guys.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-06, 01:28
Registered Member

Plan: Weight Lifting Plan
Stats: 260/247.5/150 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hello all again to the Triple Club. I am just starting again as well :-( to :-). I have beatin around the bush about doing Atkins again and dang it its time. Ill be on here everyday yall mind if I start the journey with you?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-06, 05:40
Registered Member

yay! to rightnow and brncopower for joining in! I understand where your coming from rightnow as I'm now on day four and I'm not into a good ketosis yet either,,,I have the ketostix and am becoming obssessed with them...lol...but better them than food I suppose...I do have the nasty taste in my mouth etc so I thought for sure I'd be seeing purple. I haven't weighed again and am not going to until I feel a difference in my clothes.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-06, 12:07

Plan: VLC
Stats: 321/299/280 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi, Mullberry i'm in! I noticed that we started at the same weight and want the same goal weight!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-06, 12:11

Plan: VLC
Stats: 321/299/280 Female 5"5
BF:
Progress: 54%

Eating a litlle lettuce or 2 rings of green peeper will not change a thing! I'm and meat a eggs and I eat a ring of onion a a lettuce leaf every so often and i have great weight fly's off!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-06, 13:55
Registered Member

yippeee the ketostix got darker! yep tested again today..showing sure signs of being a stickaholic....oh well guess there are worse things....I think it's better for me than seeing the number on the scale and hating myself for letting it get this far...going now to update my fitday to check my calorie count...went out to eat with family for lunch...golden corral(trough) which is perfect actually for atkins, roast chicken breasts and ceasar dressing is what I had...and it's getting easier because I wasn't bothered by folks eating dessert..though the smell of the watermelon my kids were eating was acute!....3D practically.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-23-06, 16:03
Registered Member

Good job at the Corral! Eating out is a challenge for me. Went to the Texas Grill not too long ago, and was able to get a ribeye with a side salad no problem. But I think it's the first steak I have ever eaten at a restaurant that didn't include a couple of beers. And I had to pull the battered and fried onions off the top. That was hard. Damn, those little boogers are good! Speaking of beer, that's another challenge in itself. There are types of alcohol like rum, gin, and vodka that are naturally carb free, but while they don't take you out of ketosis they do stall it until all the alcohol is burned up. I like to have a few drinks every now and then. But I have noticed that even when I drink a "safe" liquor, my cravings go into overdrive! So I'm avoiding booze this time around...
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-06, 18:49
Registered Member

yipeee I'm 5 days in cheat free feeling good, I don't know how much of the feeling good has to do with real physical changes taking place in my body or the fact that I feel like I"m in control of myself...not something I've often felt... so day five is down..I am having problems not worrying about my calorie intake being so high, and I wish the darn appetite supressing part will kick in for me...the stix are still reading one step up from trace and I hope they get darker soon, and I still am avoiding the scale for awhile...there is no change in my clothes yet...but it is only day 5 .right ..right. and I wasn't great on my water intake today...need to pick the pace back up with that...how's everyone else doing
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-06, 22:34

Stats: 305/299/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hello all,

Mind if I join in your group. I started about a month ago and have veered off plan already....but I'm ready to start again. I think I just need more motivation this time around. I work a lot and end up eating out most of the time; going to have start cooking ahead of time and taking my lunches with me.

Good going Mulberry!