Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#91   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 12:36

Plan: every other day fasting
Stats: 150/150/140 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm trying the full day fast/no-fast, and it looks to me that I'm going to have to stuff myself on the no-fast day if I want to equalize my caloric intake. Flipside, if you WANT to reduce your caloric intake, full day fasting will do it if my initial impressions predict the future.

On my first full day of fasting. I did little else but think about eating. On the next morning, I did my weight workout. After I finished, I strangely wasn't hungry. I went to a buffet restaurant, and I didn't eat all that much more than I usually do. I also didn't feel like I ate that much more than usual the rest of the day. I think I may be eating more fruit in the future.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 12:49

Plan: m&e.IF
Stats: 224/214/140 Female 60 in
BF:52%
Progress: 12%

In the IF plan IMO you do not have to double our in take of food on your eat days .I think anyway?
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 12:53
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Well, I know I'm not doubling my intake. In fact I don't think I am eating much more than normal.

I say, eat until you are full.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 13:24
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%

I've been reading all of your posts, and I have to say that I am interested in joining this experiment. I ate Warrior-style last summer, and I noticed HUGE changes in my appearance and health. This is similar in ways, but a little more challenging, too. But I like challenges. Count me in.

And I guess since I ate today already, I will start my fasting time after dinner tonight.

Quick question: I do cardio six days a week. When is the best time to do my workout while eating this way?
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 14:07
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

There have been lots of questions about exercise in my reading about IF here and at Dr. Eades' blog. The general consensus seems to be that it doesn't really matter. I plan to keep doing my weight lifting workout, so I think just for energy, I plan to do it late at night after eating dinner after fasting until 6pm or doing early evening, after 6pm on the days I eat until 6pm so that I'm fed & have energy for it. Cardio, I'm not as worried about. Actually, now that I think about it, I tend to workout later in the evening, after dinner, most of the time anyway, and either will be fine. I'll have either eaten until 6 pm that day or have just had a dinner earlier. I would think either would be fine for me. I'm not particular about doing my cardio in a fasted state though, I know some are, those people tend to do cardio in the morning before breakfast. On IF, I guess morning before breakfast would still work.

Considering I did eat after 6pm last night, and I'm only fasting from midnight to 6pm, I'm awfully obsessed about food today. I'm assuming it's mostly psychological and will diminish with time as I get used to this. I'm looking forward to a nice dinner tonight!

Val
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 14:45

Plan: protein power
Stats: 172/149/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

For an assortment of reasons I'm not able to do an every-other-day schedule, so my personal IF experiment will be to see if I can get good results following a very random pattern. Today I had a light breakfast and a somewhat indulgent lunch. Finished lunch at 12:45, so now I'll fast until 12:45 or so tomorrow.
I need to lose some weight by late October, so I'll be keeping most of my meals pretty low-carb. Once the big party I'm hosting (for my mother's 90th birthday!) is over, I'm going to see if this random fasting will allow me to indulge in a few more carb grams and still zip my zippers.
  #97   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 15:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloslo1
In the IF plan IMO you do not have to double our in take of food on your eat days .I think anyway?

Not necessary.
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 15:11
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quick note to those owned by cats: if they don't eat enough they can develop fatty liver, and it can come on very quickly esp. in overweight cats. I've had two with it, and it can kill them fast. Most of the time you don't even notice until it's almost too late, then they have to be tube fed. Not fun. If you want kitty to lose weight, feed raw meat. That said - cats are very good at regulating their food intake (generally) and will on occasion fast themselves.

After a not-so-hungry breakfast time, my appetite bounced back and I've been grazing all day on meat. Roasting a chicken for dinner, but now I'm not that hungry! I don't know how I'd double my intake with this. Guess I won't worry about it?
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 15:25
Finding Balance

Just about 1 more hour until my fast ends, and I am very hungry. I am also a bit lightheaded, but I hope not so much so that it makes it dangerous for me to drive home. I don't think so. I should have a good idea, as I walk to my car.

If I can hack it, I will stop at the grocery store on my way home and pick up a sweet potato to have with my salmon and asparagus tonight. A bit of some good carbs. I also need to stop and get gas, so I think I will go ahead and leave work now.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 15:44
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

If think people should be aware of the implication fasting may have on concentration and alertness. So if you are going for a long drive, you should really eat something. There isnt really a magic number about 24, meaning breaking the fast to have snack on the 20 hour mark wont really affect your results. 20 hour fast is still very significant if carried on for a period of time.

So you maybe think about keep like an emergency snack with you or something, its somethig we CRONies do anyway... I always make sure I have some food with me If I'm out all day, incase I do feel weak or something.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 16:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by waywardsis
Quick note to those owned by cats: if they don't eat enough they can develop fatty liver, and it can come on very quickly esp. in overweight cats. I've had two with it, and it can kill them fast. Most of the time you don't even notice until it's almost too late, then they have to be tube fed. Not fun. If you want kitty to lose weight, feed raw meat. That said - cats are very good at regulating their food intake (generally) and will on occasion fast themselves.

I've kind of wondered about that. You know what Pate is? Basically fatty liver disease in a goose. How do you get their liver fatty? You feed them a TON of carbohydrates. If people weren't feeding their cats such high carbohydrate, grain based, diets, would this happen? My cat only gets meat, most of it raw.

My puddy has been raw for close to a year and is still muy gordo. He hasn't lost any weight at all on the diet.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 16:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,Neaderthin, NHE
Stats: 404/330/200 Male 70 inches
BF:48.2/30.1/12
Progress: 36%
Default If

Hello all I am starting IF tomorrow morning. I am going to be doing it from 9 a.m. to 9 a.m. This way I can eat a good meal each morning one before 9 and the other after 9 depending on the day. I think this will work out best for me. I am very interested to see how all of this will work for this group
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 17:01
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Good points, Whoa! I think it's easy to get caught up in the "rules" and perfection attitude, thinking that if we do 20 hours it's a failure that we didn't make it to 24. I like your idea of an emergency stash of food. I'll put some almonds in my car. I don't like them well enough to eat just for "fun" but I like them enough to eat if I have to have something in my system.

For the first time the drive from work to home seemed to be too short, it didn't waste enough of the 5-6 pm hour. I did wait until 6pm though, had a big salad with some parmesan cheese & grilled chicken. I also had a peanut butter/cream cheese rollup in a low-carb tortilla, and a sugar free fat free jello pudding. After all that, I'm feeling pretty full for now.

Val
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 17:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 214/185/114 Female 5 feet
BF:53/48/20
Progress: 29%

2nd fast started after breakfast today... technically should have had lunch, but will break for a luncheon engagement tomorrow, instead of dinner, so needed to be flexible.

Not feeling great today... NOTE TO SELF: Stay lowcarb! Have the blecchies due to too much sugar!

Have lost a pound, even in the middle of the day!

Sherry
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Sep-18-06, 17:55
Finding Balance

Oh yes, I did have some almonds with me today, in case I needed them. I was fine driving home, and even stopped to get gas and sweet potato's at the grocery store.

Mmm, that sweet potato was sooo yummy, with some butter and salt. I also had salmon and asparagus. I will probably also have some of the no sugar added ice cream a little bit later tonight.

Whoa, does the concentration and alertness problem diminish as your body gets used to fasting? I sure do hope so.
Closed Thread