Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 05:28
Stay in the ZONE!!

Plan: atkins/mine
Stats: 253.5/253.5/200 Female 5'2"
BF:Losing It!
Progress: 0%

Have to say I tried the tofu shiritaki noodles yesterday and they were quite good and filling. A nice change of pace since I haven't had any noodles in about 3 years. Something I will definitely have again!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 13:45

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbirth
They claim 4 carbs and 4 fiber but I foudn another site that claimed different that I go by. For a whole bag of the Konjac ones I count 3 net carbs.

Edit: Found it:
http://extratv.warnerbros.com/v2/ne.../20/3/text.html
It looks like the ones you found have tofu as well as the konjac, so will ahve different carb numbers.
I always go by what the actual manufacturer/supplier quotes for their product, as different ingredients will give different counts for similar items.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-19-06, 17:15
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
It looks like the ones you found have tofu as well as the konjac, so will ahve different carb numbers.
I always go by what the actual manufacturer/supplier quotes for their product, as different ingredients will give different counts for similar items.

I don't trust manufacturers. It's too easy to play with portion sizes to make things sound better - like the pickles that were zero of everything; the reason was the portion was 1/3 of a pickle. Those bags have two servings in them, yet I'd venture that most of us think of a whole bag as a serving.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-06, 07:20

BF:

You are right - that is why I think we in UK and other non-US countries are lucky because our foods all have info listed for the same amount of food (100 g or 100mls) not a made-up small 'serving' amount which no-one in their right mind would think was enough for a portion.
All we have to do is weigh how much we are eating and then calulate the numbers pretty accurately - my mayo has 0.9 carbs per 100 grams (3.5 ounces) for example, so my one ounce serving I know has only 0.257 carbs!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-06, 18:07
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%

I actually got my mom to send me her old Weight Watchers food scale and I use it every day. I have tons of foods entered in FitDay so it's easy - put bowl on scale, zero out. Put tomato in bowl and check weight; enter into FitDay. Repeat for cucumber and salad.

I enter all my foods custom so I can see how many calories a REAL serving has.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 00:51

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I just found these at a local health food/organic foods market, not expensive and delicious. It's been hard for me to give up all noodles ('m half Sicilian) so finding these has been a godsend.

I think the ones I found were both yam flour and tofu, pale white in color, 3 gms carb per serving, one half of the bag was one serving.
I rinse them very well after draining them, then parboil in a bit of water, drain again and usually just have with butter and a bit of fresh grated parmesan.

Heaven.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Oct-01-06, 22:12

Plan: Other
Stats: 190/183/160 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress:

My local Trader Joe's doesn't have them, so I get them at an Asian food store. They're usually in the refrigerated section with the tofu and other types of noodles. Once you rinse them in cold water for a few minutes to get rid of the fishy smell, they're basically flavorless. I like to combine mine with spaghetti sauce and some garlic powder... they have a little different texture than wheat noodles, but taste essentially the same. Check out http://www.shiratakinoodles.net for some fairly comprehensive info on them and some links to recipies.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 04:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/163/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Got meatballs, got lo carb sauce, all I need is to find some of these noodles!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 08:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 184/170/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I just tried the "House Foods" brand with tofu based on the reccomendations of others who said they were the most "pasta-like". Unlike many other reviews I've heard, I found the texture to be almost exactly like pasta - if anything these were softer than I prefer my pasta cooked - not the chewy "al-dente" texture I prefer. I had heard that the shirataki tended to be a bit chewey, and I didn't find this to be the case at all. The texture was practically identical to soft-cooked pasta. If anything, they did have a tiny bit of an "off" taste - not bad per se, just not quite pasta-like - I did rinse them well, but I might not have drained them good enough. Anyway, a flavorful sauce would definately make this a non-issue either way. I would definately use these again!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 11:29

Stats: 171/163/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

But do they taste "fishy"??
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Oct-02-06, 12:12

BF:

I wish I could find the ones with tofu added, as the konnyaku shirataki ones are a bit rubbery, but so far in UK it seems no-one sells them
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Oct-07-06, 07:11

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichigirl
But do they taste "fishy"??

Just rinse them THOROUGHLY and they're tasteless. Whatever you put on them, they'll take on that flavor. But make sure to rince really well.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Oct-07-06, 07:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 340/260/225 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default Spaghetti is BACK in mylife

My wife and I tried these noodles last week...and went to the asian market and bought more this week. THEY ARE AWESOME!. The flavor and texture (nontofu) were just what I expected! and the first spaghetti I have had legally in four years!

We did notice an off odor in opening the bag and after blanching...maybe we need to rinse longer? I am soooo glad this board reccomended them to us!

THANKS!
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 15:40

Plan: Mostly General
Stats: 235/235/170 Female 5 ft 4
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've also had the green bean noodles before. They are clear and take up the flavor of whatever broth you cook them in. They aren't bad.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Oct-13-06, 07:30

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

I just had the wide noodles added into a stroganoff type beef dish. Man were they good! I also had the ones where the whole package was 6 grams of carb. The label listed as 2 servings, 3 grams per serving and 2 grams of fiber per serving. That made the whople package 2 net carbs.

Of course I overdid it and ate the whole friggin bag of them!

I rinsed them in a collander then par boiled and drained them. Then they went right into the stroganoff pot and warmed through again. No "fishy" taste, no taste at all added to the food. When I opened the bag, I took a whiff,and there was no odor really of any kind.

Man, were they good! Not the same texture as regular egg noodles, but a damn shot better than any of the rubbery, mealy low carb pastas. From now on it is Shiritaki noodles and dreamfields for me...mostly shiritaki.....

Has anyone tried making a lo mein dish with these?